Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Charlton Athletic: Preview, Predicted Lineups and Prediction

Venue: Craven Cottage
Date: 20/02/2016
Kick-off: 03:00 PM GMT / 10:00 AM EST

Match
Fulham News
Just when it looked like Fulham would be able to drag themselves away from relegation trouble following the 3-1 victory over Queens Park Rangers, they went on to suffer a bitterly disappointing 3-0 defeat at the hands of relegation rivals Blackburn Rovers last weekend.

The defeat means that Fulham remain perilously close to the relegation zone and it will be of paramount importance for Slavisa Jokanovic's men to claim all three points when they welcome fellow strugglers Charlton Athletic to Craven Cottage on Saturday.

Fulham Probable Lineup: Lonergan; Amorebieta, Ream, Burn, Madl; Fredericks, Kacaniklic, O'Hara, Cairney; McCormack, Dembele

Charlton Athletic News
Charlton Athletic claimed a positive 0-0 draw against Cardiff City last weekend but given their current predicament, the Addicks need three points rather than just one in order to stand a chance of avoiding the drop this season.

Now Charlton prepare to travel to Craven Cottage to square off against an equally desperate Fulham side and manager Jose Riga could sense an opportunity to claim all three points from the clash.

Charlton Athletic Probable Lineup: Henderson; Teixeira, Solly, Fox, Lennon; Bergdich, Jackson, Cousins, Ghoochannejhad; Guðmunds­son, Makienok

Prediction
Fulham have remained unbeaten in their last four competitive encounters against Charlton Athletic but the last two meetings between the sides have ended in draws, suggesting that the game on Saturday will also be a close run thing.
Fulham have the home advantage as well as arguably a stronger squad though and they should be able to pile more misery on Charlton this weekend.
Fulham 3 – 1 Charlton Athletic

http://footballrepublik.com/fulham-vs-charlton-athletic-preview-predicted-lineups-and-prediction/?

WhiteJC

Dying football fan John Pinch given chance to see last match

Big-hearted Fulham FC are ready to make a dying man's dream come true.

Julia Quinlan made an appeal to the Championship club to help grant her ex-partner John Pinch what could be one of his last wishes.

The lifelong fan, of Queenborough Road, Halfway, is desperate to get to one final game with his 19-year-old son Jonathan, who lives in William Street, Sittingbourne.

John Pinch who gets his wish to watch his last Fulham game with his son Jonathan Quinlan

Mr Pinch has terminal cancer and the 67-year-old reportedly has only months to live.

But after our sister paper, the Sittingbourne News Extra, brought his case to the attention of Fulham the club are keen to make it happen.

Mr Pinch was diagnosed last July with bile duct cancer, a rare but aggressive type of the disease which affects the bowel and liver.

Ms Quinlan said it all happened very quickly for her and her son.

"I didn't notice he was ill till he started losing weight and became very yellow, almost jaundice like," she said.

"Our son Jonathan walked him into the hospital thinking they'd be out a few hours later, but that never happened.

"Now he needs all the help he can get."

Seriously ill and bed-bound Mr Pinch, a former van driver, spent six months in Pembury hospital, in Tunbridge Wells, missing Christmas and his son's birthday.

"Football makes John's face light up and to share that last moment of happiness of seeing a match with his son would mean the world to him" - Julia Quinlan

Yet Ms Quinlan says it was the beautiful game that provided some unexpected relief for the family.

"He's been a fan of the team since he was 10 and was so passionate about the game," said the 57-year-old.

"Football makes John's face light up and to share that last moment of happiness of seeing a match with his son would mean the world to him."

Jonathan, who studies mechanics at Canterbury College, has honoured his dad by getting a tattoo of the club's crest.

Since his father returned from hospital, the teenager has spent most nights sleeping on a blow-up mattress next to his dad.

A Fulham spokesman said: "Being a very family oriented club, we are delighted to be able to assist John and his family in coming to Craven Cottage."

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/sheerness/news/fulham-help-lifelong-fans-dying-91143/?

WhiteJC

Underpass Closure

The Putney Bridge underpass that leads into Bishop's Park closed on Monday 8th February, and will remain closed for a period of four-six weeks from that date.

Fans attending our home matches in that timeframe who use that route will have to go over the bridge, rather than under it.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/february/18/underpass?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss on Scott Parker's chances as a manager with captain set to return against Charlton

Whites gaffer and former England international both played in midfield - and that could be pivotal to the former Addicks star's coaching career

On the ball: Scott Parker

Slavisa Jokanovic believes Scott Parker is a great manager in the making – and the Fulham boss should know.

He thinks the Whites inspirational captain plays in exactly the right place to survey all before him, just like Jokanovic did – in the centre of midfield.

It's from there a player can best take in the whole playing spectrum. Note how few keepers – or even strikers – make it to the dugout.

Jokanovic said: "Being a player and a coach are two completely different things – but Scott knows the game very well.

"He has experience, and he plays in the heart of the pitch and that helps.

See below the Fulham story on Parker so far currently studying for his FA Uefa Pro Licence - the mandatory requirement for all Premier League managers.

"If he really decides in the future to do this job, he has the quality.

"In a short time, he can make his target."

But would Jokanovic really encourage the former England international to give himself the ulcers that go with the job?

"Life is full of pressure," the Fulham gaffer said. "And when you start doing the job you plan for the future.

"I want to be here in 20 years, but the reality is for every job you have to be successful. If not, then they find someone else. It's the same for me; the same for other coaches; and the same for Scott Parker in the future."

Parker sat out the 3-0 defeat to Blackburn on Tuesday night, but is expected to return for Saturday's clash with Charlton where the 35-year-old started his career 19 years ago.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-scott-parkers-chances-10909359?

WhiteJC

Match Day Officials v Fulham

The Football League have now announced the Match Day officials that will take charge of the game against Fulham this weekend.

Charlton Athletic travel to Fulham on Saturday February 20 for the game at Craven Cottage and the match carries a 3pm kick off.

Referee: Kevin Friend
Linesmen: David Bryan and Matthew Wilkes
Fourth Official: Simon Hooper

Match Day referee Friend (Leicestershire) is yet to officiate a Charlton game this season.

He has however already taken in 21 other matches so far in 2015-16 and in those games, across all competitions and football divisions, he has handed out a total of 65 yellow cards and four red cards.

He was most card happy in the match between Liverpool and West Ham on August 29 with a total of six yellows being shown and two reds. He also showed seven yellows and one red in the game between Bournemouth and Sunderland on September 19.

Let`s hope it`s not another repeat and more of our players edge closer to automatic bans.

Read more: http://www.charlton.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=435595#ixzz40bFGDS85

WhiteJC

LUIS BOA MORTE EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: EX FULHAM WINGER PREDICTS A TITLE FOR ARSENAL

One of Arsene Wenger's first Arsenal signings, Luis Boa Morte went on to have a successful career in the Premier League. The silky winger is best known for his spell at Fulham, where he spent seven seasons.

Today he talks to news.bwin about Fulham's chances of surviving in the Championship this season, Arsenal's Premier League title hopes and how Portugal have a few tricks up their sleeve for Euro 2016.

Boa Morte on Championship survival chances and the sacking of Kit Symons

"We have to acknowledge that we're in a tough spot, it has been an inconsistent season. Kit Symons was doing a good job with the club before he was dismissed but unfortunately the board didn't share that opinion. In my opinion, the decision was wrong, as I played with Kit and I thought he was going the right way.

"He was starting to implement his own ideas from 2014/15 during pre-season. He is a Fulham guy through and through, he belongs to Fulham and you need to appreciate that. He loves the club and knows it inside out.

"Paul Clement's sacking at Derby was another strange situation. He's come from Real Madrid to Derby, implementing everything he's learnt from his time in Spain but, for some reason, it didn't work out between him and the board. It's difficult because managers don't get the time these days to implement their own philosophies".

"Fulham will have to rely on the likes of Ross McCormack to keep them safe this season, he's been very consistent, scoring plenty of goals. People were, and still are to an extent, questioning his hefty price tag for a Championship player, but with prices in football nowadays, who knows whether someone is worth the amount of money you pay for them. We also have Moussa Dembele, who has come in from Paris St Germain, who is also scoring, so we've got good potency in front of goal".

Boa Morte on the increasing influence of China

"The Chinese Super League is trying to impose itself on the world. Back in October I was in China watching a Shanghai Shenhua match. Players of the calibre of Demba Ba and Tim Cahill were playing. The quality of football was very good, the atmosphere in the stadium is amazing. We're not just talking about 20-30,000-seater stadiums either, we're talking about big Old Trafford-style arenas packed with fans.

"They're attracting some of Europe's best players because they can offer a different style of football, in a completely different league where players can live a completely different life. The money definitely isn't everything...but it sure helps. They're attracting unbelievable players; Ezequiel Lavezzi has just moved to Hebei China, Jackson Martinez went to Guangzhou Evergrande and Alex Teixeira is at Jiangsu Suning. The future is bright for Chinese football"

Boa Morte on Arsenal's title challenge and scouting system

"Leicester have been unbelievable this year and their title run is reminiscent of Blackburn's in 1994/95 so it's certainly possible that they could go on to win the league, but, in all honesty, I think Arsenal will win it. Victory against Leicester closed the gap to two points and they have the squad necessary to remain consistent until the end of the season"

"It's very difficult, looking at the youth systems now, to tell whether a player is going to make it or not. We've seen Jack Wilshere rise through the ranks, but really it's how the players, once they emerge in the first team, cope with the pressure of having to perform week in, week out to remain in the frame.

Arsene Wenger has a very good reputation of developing youngsters, which is good for the likes of Alex Iwobi, but they need to take the chance and run with it. It completely depends on the player because he'll get the chances, but it depends on whether he takes them.

"When you have more money to invest, especially due to the new TV deal, the younger players often are the first to get shunted, as managers want ready-made players that they can pitch straight in. They want results straight away. They don't want to wait.

Boa Morte on Portugal at Euro 2016

"Portugal have to win their group, we have the second best player in the world and players with good experience at a very high level. We have to finish top, no excuses.

"Under the circumstances, Portugal will have to reach the quarter final. It should be a prerequisite to finish among Europe's top eight teams, as Portugal is certainly a part of that category. Of course, in tournament football, there are always surprises, such as Greece in Euro 2004, but it would be a disaster if Portugal did not reach that stage.

"Wales could be a real surprise this tournament with Chris Coleman at the helm and Gareth Bale and Aaron Ramsey leading by example. They don't have a lot of pressure on them this tournament as it's their first in over fifty years, whereas Portugal and Cristiano Ronaldo must perform. Wales did very well to catch Belgium by surprise and to get through so they can catch a few teams off guard. Ryan Giggs had a wonderful career at Manchester United but never really got the chance to shine with Wales. Bale is fortunate as he will have the limelight on the big stage.

"Portugal does not depend on Ronaldo, we have some exciting players who are ready for the tournament, the likes of Danilo Pereira at Porto, Bernardo Silva at Monaco, Renato Sanches at Benfica, so there are some good young players who could make a name for themselves. There are a lot of fantastic young players on the verge of breaking through, so Portuguese football has a bright future"

Boa Morte on Reading forward Ola John

"He's a good player. I think people need to give him time to familiarise himself with the country and the league. It's very tough physically and you need to have the right temperament to play in the league. It's very difficult in Portugal compared to the Championship, but he'll adapt in good time. He was very good at Benfica and you don't suddenly forget about this overnight, so he'll come good at Reading. I think it's a matter of time before he's firing on all cylinders"

http://news.bwin.com/en/football-betting/euro-2016/luis-boa-morte-exclusive-interview-ex-fulham-and-arsenal-winger-talks-his-former-clubs-and-euro-2016,98985.html

WhiteJC

Fulham open talks with defender over a new deal

The 23-year-old has been with the Whites since 2011 after joining from Darlington and has become a regular under Slavisa Jovanovic

Contract talks: Dan Burn

Fulham have opened talks over a new contract with defender Dan Burn, whose deal with the club expires in the summer.

The 23-year-old has been with the Whites since 2011 after joining from Darlington and has become a regular under Slavisa Jokanovic.

And he revealed that there have been talks between his agent and Fulham with Burn hoping an agreement can be reached over a new deal.

He told GetWestLondon : "We've spoken about it a little bit but there's nothing concrete at the moment. I'm keen to stay.

"I'm playing games now and I'm leaving it down to the club and my agent and we'll see how I get on. Slavisa has given me confidence. Playing every game has helped massively."

Wrap: Slavisa Jokanovic wears the colours

Burn has repeatedly been the subject of speculation over his future with Sheffield United reportedly interested in taking the defender to Bramall Lane.

However, he insisted that he has heard nothing regarding a move to the League One club.

He added: "I've heard nothing. It's all over Twitter and I see it every day but I've heard nothing concrete about it at all.

"I'm out of contract at the end of the season so I'm waiting to see what's going to happen."

Fulham, who lost 3-0 at Blackburn on Tuesday night, face relegation threatened Charlton on Saturday (kick off 3pm) and Burn is keen to help the Whites put distance between themselves and the drop zone.

He explained: "Charlton is a massive game for us to keep the distance between us and them. It'll be good to get a win there.

"We put in a good performance in at Charlton and would have won if it wasn't for two sloppy goals, we'd have won.

"If we can put in a decent performance like QPR, I'm sure we'll get the result. It'd widen the gap.

"Charlton, like every team in this league, is a good team and they can beat anyone on their day. We've got to make sure we're on our game. Hopefully we'll get a good result."

Tickets for this match are on sale now and are priced from £25 for adults and £15 for juniors. Purchase tickets online at: www.fulhamfc.com/tickets or by calling: 0843 208 1234.

Supporters are advised to purchase tickets in advance as all ticket prices will increase by £5 on the day of the match.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-open-talks-defender-over-10904516?

WhiteJC

Baird Returns

The Club is excited to welcome Chris Baird back to Fulham on a loan deal from Derby County until the end of the season.

The versatile Northern Ireland international enjoyed a highly successful six-year stint in SW6 earlier in his career, making 165 appearances, and he played an important role as the Club secured a record high position of seventh in the Premier League.

He featured 54 times in our historic 2009/10 campaign, and played the full 120 minutes of the UEFA Europa League Final defeat by Atletico Madrid.

After leaving Fulham in the summer of 2013, the Southampton academy graduate took in spells at Reading, Burnley and West Bromwich Albion, prior to joining Derby at the start of the season.

Speaking to the official website, Baird said: "When the opportunity arose I had no doubt in my mind that I wanted to come and be part of this again.

"I'm looking forward to playing in front of the fans again. They were fantastic to me over the six years that I was here previously."

There will be a full exclusive interview with Chris Baird on fulhamfc.com later today.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/february/18/baird-returns?

WhiteJC

Derby County: Chris Baird joins former club Fulham on loan

CHRIS Baird has rejoined former club Fulham on loan from Derby County.

The 33-year-old utility player is back at Craven Cottage on an emergency three-month deal, effectively running to the end of the season.

Baird signed for Derby on a free transfer last summer following his release by West Bromwich Albion.

He was made captain by head coach at the time, Paul Clement, but has been limited to 16 appearances this term, 10 of them starts.

His last appearance was Clement's final game in charge - the 1-1 draw at Fulham.

Following Clement's sacking, Richard Keogh was reinstated as captain and Baird did not feature in the squad for last weekend's 1-0 home defeat to MK Dons.

Baird will want regular first-team football between now and the end of the season as he bids to make the Northern Ireland squad for Euro 2016.

The former Southampton man enjoyed a successful spell with Fulham between 2007 and 2013.

He made 165 appearances for the London club, including the UEFA Cup final in 2010.

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Chris-Baird-joins-club-Fulham-loan/story-28762940-detail/story.html#ixzz40bHO4qxL
Follow us: @DerbyTelegraph on Twitter | derbytelegraph on Facebook

WhiteJC

Fulham bring back Baird on loan
by DAN on FEBRUARY 18, 2016

Fulham have brought back Chris Baird on loan from Derby County for the remainder of the season.

The Northern Ireland international made 165 appearances in a six-year stint at Craven Cottage, being part of the side that recorded a club record high seventh-placed Premier League finish and reached the final of the Europa League n 2010. After being released by Martin Jol in 2013, Baird has enjoyed spells with Reading, Burnley West Bromwich Albion and most recently Derby, for whom he returned to Craven Cottage during a 1-1 draw a couple of weeks ago.

The versatile 33 year-old, comfortable either in defence or midfield, said:

I'm looking forward to playing in front of the fans again. They were fantastic to me over the six years that I was here previously.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/02/fulham-bring-back-baird-on-loan/?

WhiteJC

Chris Baird Joins Fulham On Loan

Derby County's Chris Baird has joined fellow Sky Bet Championship side Fulham on loan.

Baird, 33, has joined the West London outfit on an emergency loan deal until the end of the campaign.

The Northern Ireland international, capable of playing in defence or midfield, has made 16 appearances for Derby this season after joining from West Bromwich Albion last summer.

Head Coach Darren Wassall explained: "Chris obviously has a very big summer ahead of him with Northern Ireland at the European Championships and as a club, we wanted to give him the best chance of doing well in such a massive international competition.

"Chris has been a complete professional since I became Head Coach 10 days ago. He has supported me brilliantly in training, on and off the field, and last night we wished each other all the best when we spoke."

Baird spent six years with Fulham between July 2007 and July 2013, making 165 appearances in total for the Cottagers.

Fulham are currently 19th in the Championship and are six points above the relegation zone.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/chris-baird-joins-fulham-on-loan-2961568.aspx#4E7wBr9PHEbhcoGG.99

WhiteJC

Fulham open contract talks with Burn
by DAN on FEBRUARY 18, 2016

Fulham have began talks over a new contract with defender Dan Burn, whose contract deal at Craven Cottage expires at the end of the season.

The 23 year-old had looked to have fallen out of favour at the club before new head coach Slavisa Jokanovic restored him to the starting line-up after taking permanent charge at Craven Cottage in December. The 23 year-old has impressed with a series of composed and committed performances and a confident Burn hopes that a deal to keep in west London can be agreed shortly.

We've spoken about it a little bit but there's nothing concrete at the moment. I'm keen to stay. I'm playing games now and I'm leaving it down to the club and my agent and we'll see how I get on. Slavisa has given me confidence. Playing every game has helped massively.

Burn insists that rumours linking him with a move to Sheffield United are just that.

I've heard nothing. It's all over Twitter and I see it every day but I've heard nothing concrete about it at all. I'm out of contract at the end of the season so I'm waiting to see what's going to happen.

The former Darlington centre back wants to help put Fulham's season back on track after a dismal defeat at Blackburn in midweek.

Charlton is a massive game for us to keep the distance between us and them. It'll be good to get a win there. We put in a good performance in at Charlton and would have won if it wasn't for two sloppy goals, we'd have won.

If we can put in a decent performance like QPR, I'm sure we'll get the result. It'd widen the gap. Charlton, like every team in this league, is a good team and they can beat anyone on their day. We've got to make sure we're on our game. Hopefully we'll get a good result.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/02/fulham-open-contract-talks-with-burn/?

WhiteJC

Former Claret Baird shunted out of Derby and back to Fulham

It's been all change recently at Derby County. With promotion not a priority, they dispensed with the services of head coach Paul Clement and replaced him with Darren Wassall who immediately stripped former Burnley defender Chris Baird of the captaincy.

Baird had replaced Richard Keogh as club captain last summer after signing from West Brom. It was clearly a decision Keogh was unhappy with as shown with his after match comments after our 0-0 draw at Pride Park earlier in the season.

He's only started eight games so the captaincy on match days has often gone to Chris Martin and Stephen Warnock, who had the captain's armband on recently at Turf Moor.

Wassall, however, in one of his first decisions as head coach, reinstalled Keogh as club captain and now he's said his goodbyes to Baird who has joined Fulham on an emergency loan for the remainder of the season, going back to the club he served for six years between 2007 and 2013 following a £3 million plus move from Southampton.

Wassall said: "Chris obviously has a very big summer ahead of him with Northern Ireland at the European Championships and as a club, we wanted to give him the best chance of doing well in such a massive international competition.

"Chris has been a complete professional since I became head coach ten days ago. He has supported me brilliantly in training, on and off the field, and last night we wished each other all the best when we spoke."

Baird himself said: "When the opportunity arose I had no doubt in my mind that I wanted to come and be part of this again. I'm looking forward to playing in front of the fans again. They were fantastic to me over the six years that I was here previously."

The Northern Ireland international signed for us just under two years ago. With Kieran Trippier having suffered a hamstring injury, Sean Dyche moved quickly to bring the free agent to Turf Moor. He started five games in Trippier's absence, making his debut at Charlton in a 3-0 win. He made two further substitute appearances before turning down the offer of a longer deal for family reasons.

He signed for West Brom in the summer of 2014 before moving to Derby last summer. He'll now celebrate his 34th birthday next week back at the club for whom he has made almost half of his league appearances.

http://www.uptheclarets.com/former-claret-baird-shunted-out-of-derby-and-back-to-fulham?

WhiteJC

Chris Baird: Fulham re-sign Derby County's Northern Ireland midfielder on loan

Chris Baird made 52 appearances for Fulham in 2009-10 as the west London side reached the Europa League final

Fulham have re-signed Derby County midfielder Chris Baird on loan until the end of the season.

The 33-year-old Northern Ireland international, who can also play in defence, made 165 appearances for the Whites between 2007 and 2013.

Baird has featured 16 times since joining the Rams last summer.

"When the opportunity arose I had no doubt in my mind that I wanted to come and be part of this again," he told the Fulham website.

Baird, who began his career at Southampton, had spells at Reading, Burnley and West Brom after leaving Craven Cottage.

He was appointed Derby captain on his arrival at the iPro Stadium, but was stripped of the role following the dismissal of head coach Paul Clement earlier this month.

Baird becomes Fulham's fourth loan signing since the appointment of Slavisa Jokanovic as head coach at the end of December.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35606271

WhiteJC

Riga Gives Pre Fulham Injury Update

Head coach Jose Riga's pre Fulham press conference is now starting to filter through, and in this portion of the questioning he dealt with the current injury situation.

Ahead of our trip to Craven Cottage this weekend, the gaffer is quoted by News Shopper as saying that with an extensive injury list, things aren't looking that bright ahead of the game.

With several first team regulars out like skipper Johnnie Jackson and Jordan Cousins, he confirmed having missed Cardiff City, both remain doubts for this weekend.

'Jacko will be out for around two weeks. It`s not too bad but obviously he won`t be operational for the next game. Jordan feels better and today he was running, but the game on Saturday is perhaps too early. I don`t want to make stupid risks because we know how important he is to the team. We will make the decision not just based on the next game but the whole season.'

With striker Igor Vetokele also missing the last two games again having picked up a hamstring injury, Riga said that whilst he was back in training today, he would have to be assessed tomorrow as the game may come to quickly when compared to his fitness levels - if he does miss out, he should be fine for the next one though.

'He trained with us today but it`s about having an assessment day by day so we will see tomorrow. He`s close to being completely fit.'

With on loan Arsenal youngster Yaya Sanogo also being a doubt having had back pain during training, the players are dropping like flies - and as per the other article, Tariq Holmes-Dennis might get his first team return sooner rather than later.

'Yaya did well - I was happy with his performance. He`s done well in training but now he`s got pain in his back so I`m not sure he will part of the next game.'

He also said new signings Marco Motta, Rod Fanni and Yun Suk-Young were classed as match fit so may come into his thoughts for Saturday.

'With Motta and Young - they play with the U21s, I know there`s a big difference but their fitness level are good. We think that they will be ready soon.'

Long term absentee Alou Diarra is nearing a return though and also trained with the group today. Patrick Bauer also continues to build his fitness following his treatment and Riga revealed there had been no complications for the player.

'Alou was part of training today - of course with what he had we need to be wary but the news is good for him also. Bauer will take more time but at this time we don`t see any complications in his treatment - he`s on the pitch, he can run. In the next few weeks we will have both back.'

Read more: http://www.charlton.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=435623#ixzz40bJOedJC

WhiteJC

Preview: Fulham V Charlton Athletic

No longer can salvaging the smouldered remains of possessions from the self-inflicted fire that continues to burn provide reassurance and hope.

For plucking positives from mixed performances and frustrating results is not a worthwhile exercise for Charlton Athletic when the threat of being engulfed by relegation becomes greater. Rescuing the unusable doesn't stop the fire spreading.

Nor does attacking a fixture with the mentality that a draw would be a decent result. A win the only outcomes that can be celebrated come full-time at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

In circumstances where Charlton's future in the Championship isn't under such threat, you could certainly argue a point away at Fulham would not be a bad result. The Cottagers showing, albeit slightly tainted, signs of improvement under Slavisa Jokanovic, and the Addicks without a win at another London Club since November 2011.

But with seven points effectively between Jose Riga's side and safety, and only 15 games remaining, victories against opponents who are not invincible must be demanded. Opponents like Fulham, who lie only four place above the Addicks, and have recorded only two more victories all season.

These wins are not to be expected, with it wrong to call any game winnable given that only one of Charlton's last 15 have resulted in victory, but failing to win in not impossible circumstances can no longer be accepted or justified.

LAST MEETING – CHARLTON ATHLETIC 2-2 FULHAM

A Johnnie Jackson-inspired Charlton fought back from two goals down to steal a point in stoppage-time at The Valley in October.

The hosts' sloppy performance was suitably punished just beyond the half hour, as Ross McCormack's free-kick was spilled by Nick Pope and pounced upon by Ryan Tunnicliffe.

And the game seem to be beyond the Addicks with an hour played, with McCormack finishing in typically potent fashion. An atmosphere of anger and frustration in the air in SE7.

But that changed once Guy Luzon introduced Jackson with ten minutes to play. The Skipper immediately providing hope, inspiring the Covered End with a thumping header and characteristic celebration.

And deep into stoppage-time, Johann Berg Gudmundsson's cross picked out Jordan Cousins at the far post, who headed in to complete a remarkable comeback.

FORM

Fulham: LWDLDL

Just as positivity was building around Craven Cottage, Fulham saw it fit to capitulate in mightily impressive fashion.

For there has been improvement since Jokanovic replaced Kit Symons, with his 3-5-2 formation earning a commendable draw with Derby County and an impressive victory over rivals QPR. A group of players that is undoubtedly talent finally playing to something like their potential.

But Tuesday's crushing 3-0 defeat to Blackburn Rovers served as a reminder that faults remain within Jokanovic's side. Faults that have seen the Cottagers win just two of their last 17 games.

It means they're just six points above the relegation zone, and still looking nervously over their shoulders. Relegation extremely unlikely, given the previous improvement Jokanovic's influence had brought about and the quality within Fulham's underachieving side, but that it is even a consideration is a huge disappointment for the West London side.

Charlton: DLWDLL

A draw that could have easily been defeat but might have been turned into victory was ultimately a point that left the Addicks further from safety.

For while there can be an argument that goalless draw with Cardiff was a fortunate one, with the Bluebirds wasting a host of chances, and a frustrating one, with Charlton unable to capitalise on some late pressure, wins for MK Dons and Bristol City elsewhere means any sort of discussion is meaningless.

Effectively seven points from safety and with just one win in 15, a return to League One looks increasingly likely.

And though that victory was impressive, with Rotherham crushed at the New York Stadium, the intensity of that effort has yet to be repeated. The more games without a repeat, the greater the feeling that it was a one off performance becomes.

THE OPPOSITION

Former Addick Scott Parker is likely to return to Fulham's starting XI having missed Tuesday's defeat to Blackburn.

The Charlton academy graduate, instrumental in the Cottagers' victory over QPR, is no longer able to cope with the demands of three games in eight days, but will be refreshed to frustrate his former supporters with a predictably impressive performance. Sakari Mattila the man set to miss out in the middle, with Jamie O'Hara and Tom Cairney expected to start alongside Parker.

There could also be a change at wing-back, after Luke Garbutt was hauled off 34 minutes into the defeat at Ewood Park. The Everton loanee, who gave away the penalty that Blackburn took the lead from, apologised to Fulham supporters for his performance, and may be replaced by Alexander Kacaniklic, who came on for Garbutt in midweek.

But Jokanovic will be without Lasse Christensen, who suffered a hamstring injury during the win over QPR, and Cauley Woodrow, who continues his recovery from a broken metatarsal.

THE ADDICKS

Charlton will be without Johnnie Jackson after the influential skipper was forced off during the draw with Cardiff through injury.

And there is also a doubt over whether his normal midfield partner will be available, with Jordan Cousins set to be assessed prior to the game. Diego Poyet and El Hadji-Ba waiting in reserve should last season's player of the year not be fit.

Igor Vetokele's fitness will also be assessed on Friday, but Yaya Sanogo will not be an option to fill in for the Angolan should he not have fully recovered from the knock that has kept him out of the previous two games. The Arsenal loanee troubled by a back complaint.

Elsewhere, recent signings Rod Fanni, Marco Motta and Yun Suk Young are pushing to be involved for the first time, while Alou Diarra, Patrick Bauer and Ahmed Kashi remain absent.

KEY BATTLE – STOPPING THEIR POTENT FORWARD AND MAKING OURS MORE OF A THREAT

It's probably not the best idea to be so inviting to opposition forward lines when they are led by a potent goalscorer.

Alas, Charlton have been more than willing to gift their opponents openings throughout this campaign, and appear even more willing when up against a player who finds himself near the top of the top goalscorer charts. Andre Gray, Abel Hernandez and, of course, Jordan Rhodes have all had the loveliest of afternoons against the Addicks.

You can therefore imagine that McCormack is probably sitting somewhere in West London, licking his lips at the prospect of pouncing on the offerings that Charlton's defence serve up. A defence still leaky despite recording its first clean sheet in 12 games against Cardiff – the Bluebirds had more than enough chances to score.

Jorge Teixeira and Harry Lennon at least making McCormack work to add to his 18 goals in all competitions this season is an absolute must, but so too must Charlton's own forwards give their opposing centre-backs something to think about.

For while it is reasonable to fear Fulham's forwards, or at least forward, a less than impressive defensive record should provide the Addicks with encouragement. Only Rotherham (55) and our wonderful selves (56) have conceded more goals than Fulham (53), and a midweek defeat littered with defensive errors suggest Jokanovic's three-at-the-back formation isn't as formidable as it was appearing.

And to capitalise on such weaknesses, Makienok requires a partner. His relentless work last weekend was not rewarded, with no one available to meet his flick-ons, and a similar performance will prove for more beneficial to Riga's side if Vetokele or Lookman are there to feed off him.

Stop them scoring, and score some goals ourselves. All simple, innit?

PREDICTION

A performance, throughout the entire 90 minutes, that gives me back some confidence is needed. For right now, I have very little. Fulham 2-1 Charlton Athletic

https://chrispowellsflatcap.com/2016/02/18/preview-fulham-v-charlton-athletic/?

WhiteJC

Baird: Here To Help

Getting Fulham as high up the table as possible is all Chris Baird is thinking about, following his return to the Club on loan.

Still a vital member of the Northern Ireland set-up, regular football is crucial ahead of the upcoming Euro 2016 tournament, but the popular utility man is putting international thoughts to one side for the time being.

"It's a big part of it but I'm not concentrating solely on the European Championships," Baird, who will wear the number 22 shirt, told the official website. "Right now I'm only concentrating on Fulham Football Club.

"Now that I've been allowed to come here I'm going to give 100 per cent, hopefully help some of the other players and the Head Coach, and just help the Club in general.

"I know the situation they're in, I've been there a few times in my career before, so we want to get out of that as quickly as possible. We need to climb the league and try and finish the season on a high."

After signing for Derby County in the summer, Baird was quickly installed as club captain, but the form of other players in the side has limited him to just 16 appearances.

Not one to be happy just collecting his pay cheque, Baird actively sought a move, and admitted it was an easy decision once Fulham were interested.

"I'm delighted," he stated. "When the opportunity arose I had no doubt in my mind that I wanted to come and be part of this again.

"I've been in the squads at Derby but I wasn't making the bench, so that said it all to me. I wanted to get out and play some football, especially with a big summer coming up for me.

"There was stuff in the pipelines before and Derby didn't want me to go, but it's happened this time around so I'm grateful and thankful that it's finally done and dusted."

An injury to George Thorne earlier in the month gave Baird the opportunity to lead Derby out at Craven Cottage in the 1-1 draw.

Substituted in the 67th minute, he was given a standing ovation by the home fans, something that meant a lot to him after his successful six-year stint at the Club earlier in his career.

"I'm looking forward to that again," he smiled. "Hopefully I'll get another nice reception. I'm looking forward to playing in front of them again. They were fantastic to me over the six years that I was here previously.

"It was fantastic to come back to the Cottage but it was a tough game, as it always is for teams there. There were quality players in the dressing room so I'm looking forward to playing with them and hopefully getting the right results for Fulham.

"I want to come here and work hard. I'm not expecting to go straight into the team, but I'll be working hard to break into it and doing what the Head Coach tells me."

Bairdy's first game back in a Fulham shirt could come this Saturday at home to Charlton Athletic. Prices start from £25 adults and £15 juniors.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/february/18/baird-here-to-help?

WhiteJC

Let's analyze Slavisa after just 7 games!

(by timbo)

As I mentioned yesterday, Fulham's TSR has increased whereas the Shooting % has decreased in Slavisa Jokanovic's 7 games in charge. This is a very small sample size, and barely half of what Kit's is, but it's still illustrative of the changes he's made.

Below are four graphs. The first set is Fulham's TSR and then PDO under Kit, the interim period (weren't like 3 people in charge then, including Alan Curbishley?), and Slavisa.

The second set is Fulham's Shots on Target Share (i.e. our % of a match's total shots on target; if we have 3 and our opponent has 7, we have 30% SoT Share) and Shooting % (how many shots on target result in goals). There's also our Danger Zone Shots For % and Danger Zone Shots Against %.

Notice the TSR uptick under Slavisa? Despite our overall bad TSR metric (see yesterday's post), we're actually trending upwards, ever so slightly.

The defense, Kit's achilles heel, is actually improving ever so slightly. We're giving up 1 less shot in the Danger Zone per game than before (6.3 to 5.4). That might not sound like much, but our offense was carrying this team in a very unsustainable way.

And the second set of images:

Holy crap our shooting has nosedived, especially in the Danger Zone. This may contradict what I wrote about our TSR improving, but that's why it's helpful to look at these things in many different ways.

Part of this is because:

We've played some very good opponents since Slavisa took over. Hull are currently in an automatic promotion spot. Derby and Sheffield Wednesday are currently in the playoffs. Wolves were a top-10 team in mid-January. Blackburn, despite having the then-tied-for-worst-offense, has a top 6 GA defense.
He's kept the same formation between matches just once (Kit changed formations once in his 16 games in charge).
If you count his first game as zero, he's averaged 2.6 changes to the starting lineup between each match (Kit averaged 1.5).
Ross McCormack missed a match where we had but 9 shots total, 2 on target (remember, this is only a 7 game sample size).
Just watching the team you see a new offense: whereas before the offense was an open, exciting/frantic give-and-go system that too often exposed the defense; now we're possessing the ball and playing with a high line.
On average we're still shooting the same amount of times, but far less on target and much less in the Danger Zone. This isn't surprising when you introduce an entirely new offense half way through the season.
Slavisa was given half a season to try different things to see what will work for next year. He's clearly attempting that, and some metrics are taking a slight hit.

It will be fascinating to see where these numbers, and the team's results, go in the remaining 15 matches this season.

https://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2016/02/19/10770/?