watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Jamie O'Hara - is he worth his place?

Started by Southcoastffc, February 22, 2016, 04:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southcoastffc

Setting aside the tactical change which meant that it was right to hook him at half-time on Saturday, I thought he had a dismal 45 minutes.  I'm usually unhappy at the prospect of O'Hara and Parker playing together anyway but whereas Parker had a stormer and was putting in some real hard work, O'Hara seemed to me to slow down so many of our moves.  His first inclination was to turn back towards defence and pass backwards, killing any momentum we might have gained. Occasionally he tried 30 - 40 yard speculative passes that invariably failed.  I know he played at QPR but they were so poor and wide open that he wasn't pressured. I'd sideline him for a while at least.  Am I being harsh?
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

bill taylors apprentice

Not harsh, when he and Parker play together it does often gets bogged down in midfield.

With Tunni, Baird, Cairney, Ince and a fit LVC  we have plenty of options.

J

I don't think it is fair to say he should be automatically dropped for the foreseeable, but he does need to justify his place. Competition for that kind of position is getting pretty high (with Baird now about and also Tunni back from injury), which can only be a good thing.

Even though he is technically a few years younger I think he falls into the same trap as Parker of struggling with games in quick succession - which may have affected his performances in the last couple of games.

Wearethewhites

Every week, he justified his place, but now that Jockanovic has changed our style of play, he doesn't. Not saying that he's a poor player, he isn't, just his style can be very one dimensional at times. The more Jokanovic gets his teeth into the team, the less I think you'll see him feature. 

fulhamben

Going from the title alone I will say no. The best I've seen us play was when tunni and Cairney played together. Plus as you all know I'm no Parker fan but I'd have him instead of ohara all day long. I don't know exactly what it is, but any midfielder can run past him and time and time again he gets backed into a corner and ends up playing a suicide ball to a defender. Plus he has one of the worst shots I've ever seen
Don't look at his goals look at the ones he misses
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

FPT

He'd struggle to get a new contract if I were in charge, but do see value in him being around the squad. He had an excellent start and has had some very good matches this season, but there has been worrying lulls also. Then again, he is a 29 year old that is having his first full season for a fair while (looking through his career history, 28 matches in 09/10, 14 matches in 10/11, 19 matches in 11/12, 20 matches in 12/13, 2 matches in 13/14, 27 matches in 14/15 and currently sitting on 31 matches here this season). Take into account also, his 27 matches at Blackpool was without a pre-season and joining in November.

We've not got another player like O'Hara in our squad, that deep lying play maker that can control football games in this division so he's probably worth another year but perhaps move him into that rotation/squad player role.

Anyway, with Ryan Tunnicliffe getting back to fitness I do think we'll see Jamie lose his place. It will be interesting to see whether he plays at Leeds; I hope we'll stick with a 352, I think Chris Baird will come in for Scott Parker (for Scott to rest up for next Saturday). I don't think we'll see Sakari Mattila again for a while (if ever) and I don't think Emerson Hyndman will start a match without him committing his future to us. And with Lasse Vigen Christensen out, Jamie might get lucky if Ryan Tunnicliffe can't start a game and it's him vs. Rohan Ince; Ince I would be tempted to go for - get some physicality in there for an away game.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with backwards or sidewards passing in my opinion. The first half saw us line up in a diamond so his options were into Dembele, McCormack or Cairney who were all being picked up mostly - and that game plan (which Jokanovic admits) was partly to why we weren't great in the first half.

fulhamben

Quote from: FPT on February 22, 2016, 05:44:23 PM
He'd struggle to get a new contract if I were in charge, but do see value in him being around the squad. He had an excellent start and has had some very good matches this season, but there has been worrying lulls also. Then again, he is a 29 year old that is having his first full season for a fair while (looking through his career history, 28 matches in 09/10, 14 matches in 10/11, 19 matches in 11/12, 20 matches in 12/13, 2 matches in 13/14, 27 matches in 14/15 and currently sitting on 31 matches here this season). Take into account also, his 27 matches at Blackpool was without a pre-season and joining in November.

We've not got another player like O'Hara in our squad, that deep lying play maker that can control football games in this division so he's probably worth another year but perhaps move him into that rotation/squad player role.

Anyway, with Ryan Tunnicliffe getting back to fitness I do think we'll see Jamie lose his place. It will be interesting to see whether he plays at Leeds; I hope we'll stick with a 352, I think Chris Baird will come in for Scott Parker (for Scott to rest up for next Saturday). I don't think we'll see Sakari Mattila again for a while (if ever) and I don't think Emerson Hyndman will start a match without him committing his future to us. And with Lasse Vigen Christensen out, Jamie might get lucky if Ryan Tunnicliffe can't start a game and it's him vs. Rohan Ince; Ince I would be tempted to go for - get some physicality in there for an away game.

By the way, there's nothing wrong with backwards or sidewards passing in my opinion. The first half saw us line up in a diamond so his options were into Dembele, McCormack or Cairney who were all being picked up mostly - and that game plan (which Jokanovic admits) was partly to why we weren't great in the first half.
you are spot on, there is nothing wrong with possession football, but too many times we do it when we are losing or there is a quick break on. Time and a place and some don't know that
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

filham

The pecking order among our midfield options is far from clear but O'Hara does seem to be falling from that top automatic choice position he held early in the season. Useful player and I wouldn't think of discarding him but just now seems to be other options.

Carborundum

Tend to think that he needs space to work his passing magic and that a really potent wideman near the touch line, someone like Dejagah, would open passing lanes for him.

If that's SJ's plan then he stays, if not then maybe not.

Chutney

LVC coming back could be the end of O'hara at Fulham, especially with Tunnicliffe now back in action. O'hara should be thanked for his contribution this year though, he has given his all every time he has been asked to play and is one of few players who can claim that. I was very sceptical when we signed O'hara but he has won me over with his commitment and ability, That said, LVC was beginning to recapture his form from last season before he got injured again and the prospect of LVC and Parker in the middle is an exciting one.

C O Y W

MJG

He's the one long passer we have in midfield and only last week pretty much covered every blade of grass for the cause. At worst he can be a very useful squad player over the season,  so I'd still give him another year.

Chutney

Quote from: MJG on February 23, 2016, 09:23:49 AM
He's the one long passer we have in midfield and only last week pretty much covered every blade of grass for the cause. At worst he can be a very useful squad player over the season,  so I'd still give him another year.

I'd agree, but I'm not sure he'd settle for that as he could easily get a contract elsewhere and be a first team starter, he's done his reputation a lot of good this season, and credit to him for that.
C O Y W

MJG

Quote from: Chutney on February 23, 2016, 09:26:50 AM
Quote from: MJG on February 23, 2016, 09:23:49 AM

I'd agree, but I'm not sure he'd settle for that as he could easily get a contract elsewhere and be a first team starter, he's done his reputation a lot of good this season, and credit to him for that.
a much as I like him that's all I'd offer,  so pretty much take it or leave it.

RaySmith

He's certainly a grafter, and skilful, and a good passer of the ball. Though age is against him in such a high intensity  role, with younger players  competing for places.

He has experience though, and can offer leadership qualities alongside Scott.

copthornemike

Yes he is worth his place - simples 049:gif

Apprentice to the Maestro

Jokanovic thinks O'Hara is worth his place. O'Hara starts tonight against Leeds.

leonffc

Very good squad player, maybe not a 1st XI starter but as games come think and fast in this league then I think he's worth his weight.

1) It was mentioned that he slowed play on Saturday due to his 'careful' passing in keeping possession. There were several times that players, not just O'Hara, looked up and there was no movement ahead of them and no width either, so had to turn backwards. That's not their fault, I would praise their patience in not hurrying. As mentioned, SJ changed his tactics thankfully and O'Hara was a victim of those tactics. Maybe he was noticed doing the back passes more because he had possession of the ball in that congested central area more???? Again, I'd praise him for being in possession in those areas, and keeping possession (Cue an MJG optastat).
2) Sometimes games need slowing down. IF O'Hara is guilty of this (and I'm playing devils advocate to my first point here by saying IF) then wouldn't he be a useful player in some games, certainly coming of the bench to dictate play, or at least the pace of the game when tactically needed?