News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A big part of our problem is our attitude towards what is acceptable.

Started by Chutney, March 09, 2016, 07:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chutney

The acceptance of mediocrity from the fans and players alike is outrageous, we just conceded three and lost at Home to Burnley and I've seen posts saying we played well and it was a good performance. It blows my mind to see what we're willing to accept from our club now.
C O Y W

MJG

Oh come on it was a good performance but not a good result.
Burnley top of the table with a good attack and good defence. In a way the result played out both teams seasons.
They are a decent side with one of best strikers in the league. We are a side with best attacking duo but worst defence.
It's acceptable to lose to them,  what's not acceptable is the poor quality of defending at times. That has to be shared between players and coaches.
But third goal for example showed how tricky Gray is. The other two we should not have given away.

To then blame fans is for me unacceptable. We all want what's best and want team to do well. But attitude and commitment last night I'm not going to fault,  marking at corners I will.

westcliff white

Quote from: MJG on March 09, 2016, 08:07:31 AM
Oh come on it was a good performance but not a good result.
Burnley top of the table with a good attack and good defence. In a way the result played out both teams seasons.
They are a decent side with one of best strikers in the league. We are a side with best attacking duo but worst defence.
It's acceptable to lose to them,  what's not acceptable is the poor quality of defending at times. That has to be shared between players and coaches.
But third goal for example showed how tricky Gray is. The other two we should not have given away.

To then blame fans is for me unacceptable. We all want what's best and want team to do well. But attitude and commitment last night I'm not going to fault,  marking at corners I will.
Bang on MJG!!! The performance was far better than I expected, some woeful marking at a corner led to a simple goal, but even after that to go 2-1 up and look the better team was good to see. The pen changed the game as it did on Saturday, it was a soft one for sure. but change the game it did
Every day is a Fulham day

Mince n Tatties

It was a good performance,it's just the frustration of
it all that gets to some of us.
Let's hope we can escape,as I've said before no team
is too good to go down,it's happened to bigger boys
than us,and look at the state some of them are in now.

Dodger53

We played "Far better" and we played well are quite different.
We did play far better but we did notl play well!

Sideways and slow with too many players making the wrong decisions at key times.

Lighthouse

I am sure it is good to keep on and on about how well we are playing. But I would prefer to play poorly and actually get a result. We are far too complacent at the moment. Like cows being driven t the slaughter house we constantly compliment the quality of the grass and hay we are being given to eat.

Boxing Day we were three points from relegation. We have improved not one jot from that moment. We still concede goals every game. Nothing has changed. But it is all very tasty.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

filham

A good show but at the end of the day we were yet again beaten by a top six team at the Cottage.

Let us hope we are good enough to take three points from Bristol City on Saturday, failure to do so and our current form must make us favourites for the drop

Woolly Mammoth

Saturday evening after our six pointer v Bristol City, we may have a better idea of the position we are in. It's not good I admit, at this time last year, we won games we should have lost, like away to Huddersfield, and got lucky, and we finally escaped the danger area, but this year that luck has deserted us.
Nevertheless, what I don't understand is that if Kit or Stuart Gray were managing this club now, with these results, the fans would be up in arms calling for their heads. Needless to say, I wanted Kit gone long before he went, however you get my drift.
It made me laugh when we went a number of weeks without a permanent replacement for Kit, and people were saying in a righteous manner that they didn't want certain managers like Neil Warnock because of their baggage or for some past sin, as though these critics are so holy er than thou. As if we can be so fussy looking down our noses at them.
Well look at us now, looking over our shoulders instead of looking down our noses.
For all I know, in the long term Jok may have a cunning plan, but in the meantime I am not as convinced as others, why should I be, we are still flirting with danger, and how dare the likes of Rotherham and MK Dons and Bolton and Charlton threaten to catch us up, how dare they, how dare Neil Warnock revive a struggling Rotherham, whose resources do not match ours, he is not fit to walk across our turf I hear some say.
Well it's time to step into the real world, at the sharp end and in the field, cause this particular foot soldier thinks some have been deluded for a while.
Nevertheless a win on Saturday can ease the pressure, and if it has to be an ugly win, and if we can grind a victory no matter how, then so be it. It's points that are priority now, and if we can play well and win that's even better.
If we can take League placings seriously, then Burnley going by the number of points they have gathered, seem the best team in our League, and we only lost by the odd goal in five to them. 
But then again they have a good manager who knows this League and the players inside out.
He is the kind of manager a lot of supporters for some reason would have turned their snooty, snobby, snotty noses up at, perhaps it's cause his name doesn't end with an A or an O.
What ever happens between now and the end of the season, we will deserve what we get.
Roll on Saturday.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Chutney

Quote from: Statto on March 09, 2016, 02:42:40 PM
This is something I feel strongly about; I do feel we're entitled to expect more. But how do you justify that?

Is expectation based on player quality? You'll never get agreement among fans on that. Eg I know chutney and I totally disagree re. Stearman's inherent ability.

Is it on money spent in recent transfer windows?

Is it fan base/attendance size?

Is it how recently we were relegated?

Perhaps if we could decide what expectation should be based on then we could have a productive, reasonable (stats based, naturally!) debate about what our expectations should be

I see your point, I tend to base my expectations off of the promises given to us by the club. Khan said we would be challenging for promotion this year, I just feel like the players, staff and those above them get off very lightly for not meeting these requirements, there's seemingly nothing in place to make them want to do better? A lack of consequences for not performing maybe...

But  to keep things simple, If the club say the aim is top 6 and a push for promotion, then I take them at face value on that and expect them to make it so. Although, I am perhaps too naive, they were always going to claim things like that to get us to buy our season tickets.

C O Y W

Kent Cassandra

Yes Chutney Professional football is a business and supposed to be entertainment. All businesses have PR, spin etc.
As far as the business model goes, compared to most clubs our situation is at least adequate.
Success on the field has been disappointing to say the least but in the big picture can be explained by Mr Fayed selling the club and choosing a man who he was confident in to assure Fulham's long term future and stated that the club would be 'safe in his hands'?
As far as entertainment value is concerned we can hardly complain when we have seen 116 goals in 36 matches.
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

Beamer

I don't think we need to wait until after the next game to get a better idea of where we are. We have played 36 games and are 2 points from the relegation zone having taken 10 points from our 10 games in 2016. That average from the next 10 would see us with 47 points which would probably see us just about survive (but not for sure) and be 5 points worse than last year. Where are we - still as bad as we have been and in deep trouble....again.

Dodger53

We were better against Burnley and arguably unlucky but at Reading we were dire after we scored first and lucky to get a point. It seems we cannot play 2 games in a week and most good clubs/players can!

Apprentice to the Maestro

Quote from: Chutney on March 09, 2016, 07:59:58 AM
The acceptance of mediocrity from the fans and players alike is outrageous, we just conceded three and lost at Home to Burnley and I've seen posts saying we played well and it was a good performance. It blows my mind to see what we're willing to accept from our club now.

What would you have the fans do? Boo last night's performance?

In what way did the players accept mediocrity? Madl was clearly very annoyed with himself for getting done cleverly by Gray. The team kept going for the whole game. Although they keep making mistakes and the pressure is on us, their attitude is way better than that the team had when we were relegated from the PL.

If anything is outrageous it is your angry rant at the fans.

ron

Imagine that scene from "Any Given Sunday" if Al Pacino had said "Just go out there and get some points, and entertain the crowd. I'm looking for a good performance, and the result isn't too important at the moment..."

Hardly a defining moment in silver screen history methinks...

MJG

Quote from: Statto on March 09, 2016, 08:40:23 PM
To elaborate on my post earlier,
by most accounts we've spent roughly the same as Burnley (c. £20m) in the last couple of seasons
we have higher attendances (albeit not by much)
we're both recently relegated (in our case after 13 yrs in the premiership, in their case after 1)
Ft
So perhaps Jokanovic and fans should be saying things like, "with all due respect, this club shouldn't be losing at home to a team like burnley."

why not?   
while it's true Burnley have a net spend of that figure over last two years that's far too much of a simplification of why they have been able to do what they have done. Burnley were promoted with one of the tightest wage caps around and while it went up in the PL the low Base and contracts they had allowed then to reduce wages and keep most of the squad for this season. Also allowing room to buy Gray etc.
Of course have we mismanaged relegation... Yes. But there are lots of issues behind teams being relegated that make it easier or nit to still challenge. Keeping squad mainly intact is the main one for me.