watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Matt Smith

Started by The Swan, March 10, 2016, 08:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Its looks as if Matt Smith will not get any game time as a striker this season.
Well how about trying him as a centre half. He must be 6'4'' and he can head the ball.
When he played as a striker for us last season and helped out when we were defending corners and free kicks he won his fair share of headers. He also won a few tackles.
A lot of goals that we have conceded have come from set plays. We do not seem to have any player who can dominate our penalty area.
Its just a thought.
The Swan

Mince n Tatties

Wouldn't be the first striker to be converted
into a defender.

Rhys Lightning 63

Amazingly, this isn't the worst idea I've ever heard
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

MJG

Blimey and people say Dan Burn is slow,  he runs like he's carrying a sack of coal on his back.

HatterDon

I've saw all I need to see of Smith in defense when he crocked Bettinelli. I'd prefer he stay as far away as possible from Lonergan, who I'm sure would agree with that request.

Smith isn't playing because he's essentially a League 1 Johnny-One-Note striker, and both Moussa and Ross are much more capable.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

justinfromga

Once Cauley returns to full fitness Smith may find it difficult to be in the 18.  He helped us avoid the drop a year ago and I'm grateful for that but if the youngsters are healthy they should play over him.

Woolly Mammoth

I like Matt Smith, but if he leaves, fulhamben will be devastated.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

Matt must be frustrated as he's never starting over mousse and Ross,I have seen worse ideas come off!!

ron

Dear old Frank Large was tried as a centre-half........OK, yes, he was dire there too... but who knows with Smithy? He can head a ball, and with his height too....might well be worth a go, and it's not a bad shout at all.

grandad

Roy Bentley is the best example of a centre forward converting to a centre half.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Kent Cassandra

Yes Roy Bentley was a great centre forward and a great centre half.
Actually I think that the defensive players we have  are OK for this division.  The team is set up to attack and that leads us to being vulnerable at the back. It needs top top defenders to play the way we do. Joka is very courageous to stick to his attacking principles and personally I admire him for it. I know some will respond by saying that we are in real danger of relegation but I think that if push comes to shove he will revert to a more defensive set up to pick up points. 
Cornish Cassandra 1996, Don Quixote 2002, Kent Cassandra 2009.

CorkCity

He might be 6' 4"  but when he jumps he is only 5' 8"
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"

Horsfield_No9

I think Matt Smith will leave for another Champ team in the summer and be a starter scoring 10-15 goals. He is easily good enough for this league given a run/starting roll. Defenders simply don't know how to deal with him. We win so many free kicks when he comes on.

It's a shame he still hasn't had a proper go here. Last season when he has a short run he was looking good to me.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

filham

Quote from: Kent Cassandra on March 11, 2016, 10:07:49 AM
Yes Roy Bentley was a great centre forward and a great centre half.
Actually I think that the defensive players we have  are OK for this division.  The team is set up to attack and that leads us to being vulnerable at the back. It needs top top defenders to play the way we do. Joka is very courageous to stick to his attacking principles and personally I admire him for it. I know some will respond by saying that we are in real danger of relegation but I think that if push comes to shove he will revert to a more defensive set up to pick up points. 
Not sure that we have a particular attacking style but anyway how would that explain the corner and set piece goals we concede when everyone is back defending.

filham

I think we should have made better use of Smith as a striker, with more game time he probably would have have done well for us.

Would expect him to be looking for another club in the summer and imagine Bristol City may well be waiting to sign him.

The Swan

OK so some of you thought it was a good idea to try Matt Smith as a defender others just don't like him.

Following our dismal performance on Saturday we did needed to change our style against City.

We should have brought on Smith just after Dembele missed controlled the ball in the penalty area with only the keeper to beat

I know that Woodrow is a better player that Smith but we needed a big striker to unsettle their defenders.
The Swan