more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (18/03/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 18, 2016, 07:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham reject Wolves' loan bid for striker

Wolves felt they had a chance of signing striker Matt Smith, but Fulham have rebuffed their approach.

Matt Smith of Fulham FC

Fulham have rejected Wolves' attempts to take striker Matt Smith on loan.

Wanderers were hoping to sign Smith from their Championship rivals until the end of the season but the Cottagers are determined to keep him at Craven Cottage.

Fulham have one of the best strike forces in the division, with Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele both ahead of Smith in the pecking order.

Wolves felt they had a chance of signing the 26-year-old, but Fulham have rebuffed their approach.

Kenny Jackett has been looking for a potent frontman all season, as his side have struggled to find a goalscorer throughout the campaign so far, but it seems the Wolves boss will have to search elsewhere if he is to bolster his attack.

More: Wolves boss is keen to crank up the intensity

Meanwhile, Jackett confirmed he has recalled midfielder Jed Wallace from his loan spell at Millwall.

The 21-year-old, who spent last season on loan at Portsmouth, has impressed for the Lions since dropping down to League One in January. He scored one goal in 14 appearances.

"We have watched Jed closely at Millwall, he has enjoyed a very positive impact on the team with his performances," he said.

"At 21 years of age, we are now keen to get him back to Wolves and to look for him to make the step up and bridge the gap between League One and the Championship."

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-reject-wolves-loan-bid-11053267?

WhiteJC

Free Brighton Travel

We're pleased to announce that fans attending our match away to Brighton & Hove Albion on Friday 15th April can take advantage of free coach travel.

We'll be putting on a number of coaches from both Craven Cottage and Motspur Park, and we hope to see as many of you as possible cheering the lads on at the Amex Stadium.

Last season Fulham sold out of their allocation for the fixture, and those in attendance were rewarded with one of the best away days of the campaign as the boys came from behind to claim a 2-1 win.

A strong travelling contingent goes a long way towards giving the team that extra edge, and we'd love to sell out our allocation again this time around.

Free coach tickets are available on a first come first served basis, and will be departing from the Cottage at 3pm and from Motspur at 3.30pm. Fans who have already purchased coach travel will automatically be given a refund.

Secure your ticket today and back the boys in another huge game!

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/march/17/free-brighton-travel?

WhiteJC

Fulham's Dan Burn reveals double nightmare ahead of return to Birmingham City

Cottagers centre back admits the future is black-and-white - twice over - and doesn't want to feel blue by the end of a poor campaign

Plan: Dan Burn

Dan Burn could face a double whammy at the end of the season.

The Geordie defender is not only praying Fulham survive the drop, but also his beloved Newcastle deep in the Premier League relegation mire.

Burn and co suffered a 2-1 heartbreak at home to fellow strugglers Bristol City last weekend. It leaves his club a point off the bottom three and turns up the heat ahead of the trip to Birmingham on Saturday.

The 23-year-old was on loan at St Andrews two seasons ago where he made 24 appearances. This time the outing in Britain's second city is made all the more desperate by Whites plight.

Even so, Burn has fought one battle and won, and plots to win another after hanging on to his place in the face of fierce and expensive competition.

Loan star: Dan Burn is shining at Birmingham City

"It's been like that since the Premier League when the club brought in players who were massive stars," he said. "But it just drives me on to be stronger and work my way into the team.

"It's not always nice changing manager, but I've added something to my game each time.

"I do like playing under a new manager: it takes me out of my comfort zone, and I do feel I've played well under Slavisa Jokanovic apart from the odd game, even if we haven't had the results we wanted.

"I've still got a lot of mates at Birmingham, although not so many playing at the moment.

"We have to go there and pick up something; and not picking up against Bristol City makes it all the more important."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulhams-dan-burn-reveals-double-11053622?

WhiteJC

Jokanović's Birmingham Preview

Slaviša Jokanović wants to see his Fulham side compete hard against Birmingham City from the first whistle to the last on Saturday.

The Whites bossed proceedings in the first half against Bristol City last week, but took their foot off the gas and ended up slipping to a 2-1 defeat.

It's left us sitting a point off the relegation places, but Jokanović believes his squad have enough about them to pull away.

"Yes, it's true, we played two different 45 minutes last game," he admitted. "I trust this team and my players. We have to be strong enough to solve our situation that we're in right now.

"I am confident we have enough quality in the team to resolve the situation that we are in. At the same time, I understand why fans are unhappy in this situation, it's completely natural but it's a moment for us to be all together, and it's a moment to support my team and push hard to resolve this situation.

"We need to be more solid, more competitive, and we must compete until the last seconds of the game."

In many matches this season, the majority of statistics have shown Fulham to be the superior side, but Jokanović knows that counts for little when it's coupled with a defeat.

He stated: "Generally, this team played many good games of football, this team had better possession of the ball than the top teams in the Championship. We shoot more times than the opposite team shoot in the goal.

"It's simple, it's not enough. We don't find what is more important in football; the result. We've been working this week on simplifying things and trying to be more effective than we have been.

"I expect we will have to be stronger, more solid, and concentrate more. This team scored many goals, and we need to find some security for the back, and it's important we get a clean sheet."

The trip to St Andrew's is Fulham's last fixture for a fortnight, and Jokanović acknowledged the increased value of taking a result into the international break, considering the Club's current position.

"It always is important, especially in the situation we're in right now," he said. "It's a chance for us, we cannot be confused like we have been in some moments in the last game."

The Whites' Head Coach will be without Alexander Kačaniklić and Lasse Vigen Christensen at the weekend, while Chris Baird is still being assessed.

Tickets for Saturday's trip to Birmingham are available for just £20 adults and from £5 concessions.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/march/17/jokanovics-birmingham-city-preview?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss hopes dinner date serves up three points against Birmingham City

Whites boss insists players have stomach for the fight and will find a result to their taste at St Andrews on Saturday

New thought: Slavisa Jokanovic

Slavisa Jokanovic has revealed he encouraged the Fulham squad to go out for dinner on Wednesday night in the belief clean plates will lead to clean sheets and ease relegation fears.

The left-field move is the gaffer's attempt to relax and change the mindset of a side starved of wins in their battle to stay in the Championship.

The main course comes on Saturday at St Andrews, but Joka admits he needs a different approach to feed fragile egos and get a first victory in six attempts.

A bit of bonding over a glass of beaujolais and a steak may be worth the bill at the end of the night, he hopes.

"I tried a little bit different than the normal routine with dinner," he said. "We have spoken this week about not complicating things and keeping it simple.

"Right now, we need unity and the right shape, and when things are not going well, you can feel alone. There's not going to be a new coach or players, and we have to do it ourselves.

"This is a moment to be all together. I am obliged to offer them a more simple plan and be more effective.

"We cannot be confused like sometimes in the last game (against Bristol City). "

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-hopes-dinner-date-11055934?

WhiteJC

O'Hara: Fans So Important

Jamie O'Hara is desperate to give the Fulham supporters a result to smile about at St Andrew's on Saturday.

It's a month since the Whites last claimed three points, and the midfielder wants to create some breathing space at the bottom of the table before heading into the international break.

"We need to be giving them something to cheer about because it's been tough for them," he told #FFCRadio. "I felt like we started the season really well; the fans were behind us and everyone was pushing in the right direction.

"But the results just haven't materialised over the last month or so, and we find ourselves in a real sticky situation. The supporters need to believe in us, they need to stick behind us now for the rest of the season."

A top-six spot was the target at the beginning of the campaign, but a very different objective now presents itself to Fulham; survival.

"Obviously it's not going to be the season that everyone hoped for," O'Hara admitted. "But we need the fans more than ever now because without them it's going to be really difficult for us.

"Confidence is key in the players, and we need the fans on our side. It's not going to be the season that everyone wanted or expected, but we've got to make sure we're safe come the end of it."

For the full interview with Jamie, tune into #FFCRadio via fulhamfc.com or the App from 2.30pm on Saturday.

Tickets for Saturday's game at St Andrew's are still available to buy, priced at just £20 for adults and from £5 for concessions.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/march/17/ohara-fans-so-important?

WhiteJC

Introducing the 2016 Fulham Dallas Cup squad
by FPTAYLOR on MARCH 17, 2016

In what will be Fulham's third appearance at the prestigious Dallas Cup, an U19 group will represent Fulham FC and experience football against teams from around the world with an added bonus of potentially coming home with the Gordon Jago Super Group trophy; brought home by Jack Grimmer and the rest of that group in 2013. Since that maiden voyage, Fulham have seen twelve members go to Dallas and come back to make their Fulham debuts, with the number potentially rising from those two journeys alone. With that, I aim to breakdown and introduce each member of the 2016 Dallas Cup squad.

1) Magnus Norman:

At 19 years old, Magnus Norman is one of senior members of the squad. With a professional contract at the football club until 2018, the England U18 international goalkeeper travels to the Dallas for his second tournament, he started two of Fulham's three matches in 2014 as a 17 year old. Norman currently holds a squad number and regularly warms up with the goalkeepers on match day.

2) Ryheem Sheckleford:

An athletic attacking full back, Ryheem Sheckleford has made the Under 21 right back spot his own this season despite still being eligible for Under 18 football. Sheckleford has come on leaps and bounds this season, seemingly improving with each passing game. At right back, Sheckleford balances his attacking and defensive responsibilities nicely.

3) Shane Elworthy:

Another under 18 eligible under 21, Irishman Shane Elworthy has become a useful utility player for the under 21s filling in at centre back and left back when asked; despite coming through the football club as a hardworking right midfielder. Elworthy will be expected to continue his run as a left back. Not the flashiest player in the squad but Elworthy will do a solid job I'm sure.

4) Jerome Opoku:

Jerome Opoku is a rangy central defender, who can also fill in at left back with his strong athletic capabilities. At 17 years old, Opoku is one of the youngest members of this Dallas Cup squad in the middle of his first full year at under 18 level. He captained the U16s in 2014 as they won the U16 Premier League International Cup.

5) Aron Davies:

Having just passed his first year at the football club after joining from Bristol City in February of last year, the Welsh U19 international looks like another superb spot for the academy displaying the poise and grace of a modern day centre back. Davies though does not shirk the defensive facet of the game, which seems to have been forgotten at some point in the development of many central defenders today. The common criticism of many is something along the lines of "defend first, play later," it would appear that Aron Davies appears to have both aspects of the game in his repertoire.

6) Josh Smile:

The oldest of the Dallas Cup squad, Smile (like Norman) is going to his second trip to Dallas but as a much better player than the one that went to 2014. In 2014, Smile still had to contend with Lasse Vigen Christensen, Emerson Hyndman and Solomon Sambou for a starting berth, but it wouldn't surprise me to see Smile captain the boys this year. Short in stature, Smile is big in possession owning a tremendous passing range and ability with a knack of getting stuck in. Smile has been made more of deep lying playmaker in recent years, which has been interesting to see develop, as he attempts to be a central part of proceedings.

7) Luca De La Torre:

Born in San Diego, US under 17 international Luca De La Torre has become a constant in the under 21 set up despite not turning 18 years of age until May. De La Torre is technically excellent, exciting in possession and an all round bright talent; though wanting to dampen expectation of course, the returning American fits the mould of potential with the likes of Patrick Roberts and Moussa Dembele as a potential game changer. Malcolm Elias and Huw Jennings deserve plaudits again for unearthing, attracting and developing such a talented footballer to the football club.

8) Foday Nabay:

17-year-old Nabay will celebrate being at the football club for three years in the summer after a fairly big switch from Birmingham City; where after leaving the Blues, Lee Clark claimed Nabay potentially could have become the youngest player in Birmingham's history, which created an exciting buzz when he joined Fulham. Having played under 18 football at the age of 14 years old at Birmingham, Nabay initially mostly played in our under 16 set up which cooled hype somewhat though you can't deny the talent of player there. Whilst Dennis Adeniran has spent time playing for the under 21s this season, you feel this is a pretty important tournament for Nabay to prove his ability and perhaps earn some game time at that level before the seasons end.

9) Joshua Walker:

A pacey striker, Walker is going to the Dallas Cup with an impressive brace at under 21 level under his belt in the match prior at Blackburn. Walker is a nice finisher, sharing the top scorer spot with the under 18s with Stevie Humphrys. Although not as impressive and dominant as a Moussa Dembele, Walker certainly looks to be an interesting striking talent with his possession of speed, hard work and scoring ability. Under the right tutelage and guidance, Walker is a noteworthy prospect.

10) Stephen Humphrys:

I must admit, perhaps my favourite player of the group. I've previously dubbed him the British Bergkamp, for his build and strength of a classic number 9 but he also holds wonderful technique whether that's with his first touch, close control or picking out inventive passes. Humphrys scores and creates goals and is currently the top scorer for both the under 21s and under 18s: the last player to finish the season in that position? Moussa Dembele. Now not to say that Humphrys is the next Dembele, he's certainly an exciting talent in my personal opinion and will only get better with his first full season of under 21 football ahead of him.

11) Jon Dagur Thorsteinsson:

The 17-year-old Icelandic (Icelander?) joined the football in the summer having already played professionally in Iceland in the national second division and tournament. Already an Icelandic U17 international when joining, "Thor" has played multiple times for the under 19s after joining the football club. A creative midfielder that can play wide or behind the striker, Jon has been given good game time with Peter Grant's under 21s on top of his under 18 duties where he currently sits on 4 goals and 3 assists.

12) Marlon Fossey:

Born in Hollywood, Fossey is another returning American despite living in Jersey when he was signed at Fulham as an 11 year old. Initially an attacking player, Marlon Fossey has been moved to play at right back – a position he has made his own at under 18 level with Ryheem Sheckleford making the step up. Marlon Fossey is a legitimate athlete, holding the county hurdles record and his attacking tendencies make him an ideal modern full back.

13) Taye Ashby-Hammond:

An England international at under 16 and under 17 level, the 16 year old Richmond born goalkeeper is one of the babies of the group, travelling to his first Dallas Cup. Although Magnus Norman I'm sure will claim seniority for the goalkeeping position, it will be valuable experience for young Ashby-Hammond with the potential of getting some game time in Dallas.

14) Harrison Paton:

17-year-old Canadian Harrison Paton is easy on the eye when in possession of the football, and you'd be forgiven for thinking he was younger than he is. With the ability to play anywhere in midfield, Paton has been involved with Canada's U20s.

15) Cassian Thomas:

Cassian Thomas was a member of the 2014 U16 Premier League International Tournament; the box-to-box central midfielder is full of running that can win – and keep – the football. We will learn more about Cassian Thomas next season where he should be able to get more game time in his first full under 18 season having only turned 17 in January.

16) Moritz Jens:

A big German central defender, Jens is assured defensively despite his young age. Last records have him at 6ft2 at the age of 16 but he's more than a big lad at the back. Jens is confident and comfortable in bringing the ball out from the back and should contest game time with Jerome Opoku as he has done with the under 18s all season. In Jack Grimmer and Liam Donnelly, Fulham have produced strong central defenders that perhaps do not possess the physical size to correlate to the professional game; there is no worry physically from Moritz Jens.

17) Isaac Pearce:

Joined from Bristol Rovers in November, Pearce however played in the under 18s' last game of the previous season, scoring in a 5-1 win over Arsenal. With Stephen Humphrys and Joshua Walker moving up to under 21 level next season, a position opens up for Pearce to challenge for in the striking position.

18) Jayden Harris:

An under 16, Jayden Harris has tasted a number of under 18 minutes this season. Harris may not get that many minutes out in Dallas but the learning experience will be invaluable looking into next season.

19) Elijah Adebayo:

Elijah Adebayo has picked up a bit of form going into Dallas, though not as the centre back he is listed on the club website. Adebayo has scored three goals in his last three starts for the under 18s as a striker. Having turned 18 in January, Adebayo potentially has the first few months of next season to contest with the aforementioned Isaac Pearce in the striking position. He had been moved to centre back in recent years following early years as a striker, and the ability to be competitive in both is interesting. He could have minutes in both positions at the Dallas Cup as we round up our 19 man squad.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/03/introducing-the-2016-fulham-dallas-cup-squad/?

WhiteJC

Fulham pair to miss Birmingham trip

Fulham will again be without Alex Kacaniklic and Lasse Vigen Christensen for Saturday's trip to Birmingham.

Kacaniklic missed last weekend's defeat by Bristol City with a foot injury and is still not ready to return.

Christensen has not played since limping out of last month's derby win over QPR with a hamstring complaint.

Chris Baird, who also missed the City game, faces a late fitness test to see if he can feature at St. Andrew's.

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/football-wls-fulham-duo-to-miss-birmingham-city-trip

WhiteJC

Follow Fulham Away

The boys need your support when they travel to Birmingham City on Saturday, the final match before the international break.

Tickets are very reasonably priced at £20 for adults, whilst concessionary prices begin from just £5.

As far as away days go, Birmingham is one of the more simple jaunts. Trains from London can take as little as one hour 20 minutes, with the ground no more than a few miles from any of Birmingham's main three train stations. Return train tickets are currently available from just £28.

Driving is also a feasible option, as St Andrew's should be less than two hours away once you've come off the M25.

St Andrew's has been a prosperous ground for Fulham in recent times, having lost just twice in our previous 11 trips. We've recorded five wins there in that time, including the two most recent fixtures.

With the Blues game being our last before the crucial home match with MK Dons two weeks later, the team need your support on the road, so secure your ticket today and Follow Fulham Away.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/march/16/follow-fulham-away?

WhiteJC

Goal Of The Year

Goals from each of the 72 Football League clubs are in contention to be named the Mitre Goal of the Year at the Football League Awards 2016.

Channel 5's Football League Tonight show will this weekend reveal which 10 goals from the list will now be put forward for a fan vote. The selection of the 10 best goals scored by league clubs from across Football League competitions in 2015 will be shown by George Riley and Kelly Cates on the Channel 5 programme on Saturday evening, along with details of how fans can vote for their favourite.

Each of the 72 Football League clubs nominated their best goal from 2015/16 as their own 'Mitre Goal of the Year' for the competition.  The 10 best strikes have been selected to make the cut, with the fan vote then helping to decide the final shortlist of five goals.

Fulham's nomination is Ross McCormack's first goal in the 4-0 win against Queens Park Rangers in September.

Previous winners of the Mitre Goal of the Year award include Joe Garner (Preston North End – 2015), Franck Moussa (Coventry City – 2014), Simon Cox (Nottingham Forest - 2013), Peter Whittingham (Cardiff City - 2012), Dean Furman (Oldham Athletic - 2011).

The overall winner of the best goal from 2015 will be decided at the Football League Awards which take place at Manchester Central on Sunday 17th April 2016.

For more about The Football League Awards visit www.FLAwards.com or search for #FLAwards on Twitter.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/march/17/goal-of-the-year?

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic says Fulham must 'go to war' to avoid relegation

Fulham boss Slavisa Jokanovic has been in charge since late December

Fulham manager Slavisa Jokanovic wants his team to have a war mentality if they are to survive relegation this season.

The west London club, who were relegated to the Championship in 2014, currently sit in 20th, just one point away from the relegation zone.

Fulham have won just two games since the start of 2016, and most recently lost 2-1 to fellow strugglers Bristol City last Saturday.

And the former Watford manager is under no illusions of their position, and has urged the team to change their mentality should they wish to beat Birmingham City away on Saturday afternoon.

"We play very good football but it's time to go to war," he said in his pre-match press conference.

"It's simple now. It's not important how we're going to play the football, if we play very good or if we have possession of the ball.

"It's important but in this moment there are more important things. I take responsibility because it's my position. We need to be strong, we need to be mentally prepared to understand where we are right now."

Fulham rank second for goals scored this season (56) in the Championship, only behind league leaders Burnley (60). But Jokanovic feels his team have to sacrifice their more attacking style of play if they are to stay up this season.

He added: "In my personal life I have been doing interesting things over the last 12 months.

"I accept what is my situation right now, I am fully ready and prepared for fighting was is in front of us and we have to analyse this match in front of me.

"Personally we play an interesting team, good football and we lost other games but now it's war."

Although Jokanovic admits to wanting to 'simplify' his side's game, he is still open to making adjustments tactically over the course of the final nine matches of the season.

"I am a coach with this characteristic [to be flexible]," he explained.

"Nothing is going to be new, I'll either change or not..

"It's like always I'm going to try and find solutions for my team in similar way, like I've tried in all my coaching career, and find what I believe can be most successful for us."

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11681/10208592/slavisa-jokanovic-says-fulham-must-go-to-war-to-avoid-relegation?

WhiteJC

Jokanović: Move Forward As One

Slaviša Jokanović wants his Fulham side to be united, and eyes Birmingham as the first opportunity to remedy their current situation.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/march/17/head-coach-video?

WhiteJC

Rene Meulensteen admits wanting Rangers job in the summer, gutted to miss out to Mark Warburton

The former Fulham coach has admitted he would have loved the Ibrox gig.

In the summer Rangers were looking for a new manager after Stuart McCall had failed to take the club back to the Scottish Premiership after replacing Ally McCoist.

Plenty of names were linked with the role at Ibrox, including that of former Manchester United coach and Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen.

The Dutchman was out of work after being sacked by Fulham in February 2014 and the Rangers job was certainly an opportunity he would have relished.

Speaking to ELF Voetbal this week Meulensteen admitted he would have loved to have gotten the Rangers job, believing there was a good project at the club:

"That seemed like an awfully nice challenge. A club with a rich history.

"The story sounded good. I would have been there to build something, but the club opted for Mark Warburton with club icon David Weir as an assistant. Very sorry."

In all respect to Meulensteen, Rangers fans will no doubt be pleased that the Scottish Championship side did indeed opt with Warburton and Weir.

The pair are leading Rangers to the Scottish Championship title and are also in the Scottish Cup semi-final against Old Firm rivals Celtic - so things are certainly going well under the current management team.

Meulensteen meanwhile does not have the best of records with Fulham, Anzhi Makhachkala or Brondby.

It would seem Rangers made the right choice.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2016/03/17/rene-meulensteen-admits-wanting-rangers-job-in-the-summer-gutted/?