watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Question about the George Cohen statue

Started by dannyboi-ffc, March 22, 2016, 05:32:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyboi-ffc

These individual plaques you can get for a £1000. Are they really going on the statue/ podium the statue will sit on? Shouldn't the statue be dedicated to just George?

I love the idea of plaques with fulham fans on them. I'd love one for my Grandad but to me it should be a seperate thing altogether. Am I missing something or am I just over sensitive? Is there the possibility that the Statue will be smothered with plaques?
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

zander

Interesting point, I thought this myself. Having looked again they will be on the podium base as enscriptions by the looks of things. Not sure if the below picture was recently added.

Fulham 442

I know there are two plaques with 33 names on each - they aren't individual ones.

dannyboi-ffc

Still don't agree with it. The plaque is a nice idea but imo it should go on the famous wall behind JH and George. Don't get why it has to go on a statue where the plaque below the statue as you've shown should read something about George himself. After all it is a statue dedicated to George's efforts and not the fans.

The donations can still go towards the  building of the statue but I think 2 plaques of 33 names or whatever they decide would make more sense on the wall behind them. WBA have bricks on the floor with fans names on which is the same gesture.

You wouldn't accept "The George Cohen Dannyboi-ffc Stand" if I was to pay for the building of the Riverside.  The fans should donate because George deserves it and as a thank you,  the money shouldn't come because of the novelty of making the statue all about them.

An example would be,  at the moment I don't have the money to purchase a slot on this plaque for my Grandad who supported since 1948. Yet a rich suit could have supported Fulham 5 mins because they have just bought an apartment in Putney and occasionally pop down when they fancy it. And they put themselves forward for a plaque.

Like I said the idea is nice and the donations can still go towards the statue.  How much extra does it cost to screw a plaque to the wall? I'd do it for free. I just don't agree that it should go on the statue. That should be for George. But at the same time I think recognition for fans is also important and I don't have an issue with people nominating a family member they believe deserves it. Good on them, just put it on the wall ay?

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Steven Ageroad

T
Initially the statue is going to be placed at the Hammersmith end just where the fans come in through the turnstiles, I don't think there is a suitable wall there for your idea Dannyboi. The plan is to move the statue to a permanent site within the new Riverside stand complex when it finished, over looking the Thames, as we know that's a few years away. As a subscriber to the statue, I prefer the plaque on the base as per the earlier illustration.

Fulham 442

I don't really think that someone who bought an apartment in Putney and supported for Fulham for five minutes would really want to fork out £1000 to have their name on a plaque which is essentially all about Fulham.  I don't think the two plaques are going to be too intrusive and its a bit like having a statue of an army commander with names of soldiers from his battalion on a plaque below.  My family has donated £1000 to have my late father's name on the plaque, as that was an option made available by the club, he doesn't have a memorial at all and we thought this was very fitting and we certainly didn't think by doing so we were trying to make it all about him as you put it.  He was both a massive Fulham fan and  also a George Cohen fan and obviously saw him play many times, including the World Cup Final, but it is not going to be called or known as the George Cohen/Uncle Tom Cobbley and all statue. 

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Fulham 442 on March 23, 2016, 11:56:44 AM
I don't really think that someone who bought an apartment in Putney and supported for Fulham for five minutes would really want to fork out £1000 to have their name on a plaque which is essentially all about Fulham.  I don't think the two plaques are going to be too intrusive and its a bit like having a statue of an army commander with names of soldiers from his battalion on a plaque below.  My family has donated £1000 to have my late father's name on the plaque, as that was an option made available by the club, he doesn't have a memorial at all and we thought this was very fitting and we certainly didn't think by doing so we were trying to make it all about him as you put it.  He was both a massive Fulham fan and  also a George Cohen fan and obviously saw him play many times, including the World Cup Final, but it is not going to be called or known as the George Cohen/Uncle Tom Cobbley and all statue. 

Didn't mean to offend you. And I'm certainly not trying to criticise you or your family for doing this.  This is after all what Fulham is about. Those true supporters like your Uncle and my Grandad should never be forgotten and it's a credit to your family that they have taken Fulham up on their offer.

I still think the two should be seperate. But the image above is less intrusive as I first assumed. My issue wasn't against remembering past supporters, far from it. It was more confusion as to why it had to be shared on a statue for George. 

It's a nice thought saying fans of 5 mins who are wealthy and support Fulham because it's a side hobby won't have their name because 1000 is a lot of money when in actual fact to the people I refer to its probably just change to them. I hope it is full of names like your uncle. The thought of it having those who don't deserve it but can afford it would be a shame.

If when the statue is on show it isn't as I first thought and actually looks fitting and a wonderful gesture I will be the first to hold my hands up. I genuinely hope it does look special and that's pretty much why I was concerned to begin with

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]