more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (27/03/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, March 27, 2016, 08:02:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jack Grimmer: Town pleased with a point

Defender Jack Grimmer admitted he was happy Shrewsbury Town got a point after the 1-1 draw against Port Vale.

Sullay Kaikai's belter – his 10th of the season – extended Town's unbeaten run to nine matches.

It lifted them nine points clear of the League One drop zone after Louis Dodds put play-off chasing Vale in front.

Goalkeeper Mark Halstead denied Richard Duffy and Michael O'Connor in the first half while Shaun Whalley and Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro missed excellent chances for Town in the second.

Grimmer said: "I'm happy with a point – the way the game went Mark Halstead made some great saves in both halves.

"Would I have taken a point beforehand? Probably not because their results weren't as good as ours in the last couple and, with the confidence in the team, I wanted the three points.

"So there was a bit of disappointment that we didn't win, especially with the chances we had."

Meanwhile, birthday boy Richie Wellens has a treble aim. The experienced midfielder, who turns 36 today, is closing in on two appearance milestones and wants one last play-off push in his career.

Former Leicester City and Doncaster man Wellens is just three games short of 600 league appearances and needs six matches to complete 700 in all competitions.

He said: "It's a good number because there aren't that many who have done that and it's tough.

Read more at http://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/shrewsbury-town-fc/2016/03/25/jack-grimmer-shrewsbury-pleased-with-a-point/?#VueKqzW8dgcTPCC2.99

WhiteJC

Flowers: Good Standard

Tim Flowers discusses the goalkeepers' union at Fulham, his Craven Cottage memories, and his friendship with Whites favourite Terry Angus.

What have you made of the set-up here?

Brilliant. Very, very impressed. Obviously the Cottage is a very historical ground anyway and there are a lot of features there, but this place Motspur, I've been very impressed with it. It's very well run, very professional. It's a good club.

How have you found the goalkeepers in our ranks?

They're a very good standard. Obviously Marcus Bettinelli came back in after his injury but Lonners [Andrew Lonergan] had been in, and Stuart Gray said to me that he'd been doing very well for us. Jesse [Joronen] is away with Finland at the moment but he's worked very, very hard since I've been here, as has Joe Lewis. So we've got four very good senior goalkeepers, lads who are all ready to play, so we're in a good position in terms of that, we're well covered.

From a goalkeeping coach's perspective, it must have been great to see Bettinelli play so well last week?

I thought he did very, very well. To be fair, Lonners has been doing well, too, so I'm sure it was a close call for the gaffer, but I think he wanted to shake things up a little bit. But Marcus played well, made a couple of important saves, and you could say it didn't look like he'd been away.

Did you visit the Cottage much in your playing days?

I started when I was 16 with Wolves in Division Two, so what would be the Championship now, and I remember we won at the Cottage. I remember the victories because there weren't many of them! And then we got beat at Molineux. Other than that there weren't many occasions. I played at the Cottage for England Under-16s against Scotland way back in the day. In fact, that was the same season I was there with Wolves, and funnily enough we played that game on the Saturday, and then I was back there again on the Wednesday with England. I also played in Glenn Cockerill's testimonial there with my big mate Terry Angus.

How do you know Terry?

I played from Under-10s all the way through with Terry. We were good mates, and I still speak to him regularly. He lives in Kenilworth which is where I was born. He's a good lad, and I know he's quite a big hero round here. He was a striker as a kid, and was probably the hottest forward in the Midlands, he was dynamite. Everyone was having a look at him and it surprised me that he didn't end up at a big club as an apprentice. Then he morphed into a centre-back, and he's a big hero in the local non-Leagues up there. He played for Rugby, which was a big non-League side, and Nuneaton, and he was a popular lad wherever he was, and a good player, too.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2016/march/26/flowers-good-standard?

WhiteJC

Remember When: Fulham escapes relegation in 2008

It's been another tough season for Fulham, so let's put our head in the sand and remember better times. This is the first in our series of eyewitness accounts of Fulham in better days.

It was springtime, and my wonderful wife and I were vacationing in London. We'd never had the pleasure before, so we were bound and determined to do and experience everything we could in our short, four-day stay. We had a great time doing all of the standard tourist activities, like getting completely confounded by the tube station maps, eating mushy fish and chips at the Tower of London, hopping on and off the Big Red Bus tours, and ogling the sights in Piccadilly Circus.

Several months earlier, when we found out we were going to be heading across the pond, I had asked my wife to search online for a football match in London on Saturday, our last full day there. After some browsing, she informed me that it looked like the only Premiership club playing nearby that day was Fulham. With a sigh, I said okay, I guessed it would do, although I had hoped for better.

The date of the match was May 8th, 2008.

To be honest, I didn't know all that much about the club back then, good or bad. In 2008 we could only see one or two matches on television each Saturday here in the States, and most of the bandwidth was taken up by the two Manchesters, Liverpool, Arsenal, that other SW London team in blue, and a handful of others. I might have seen Fulham twice that year when they played one of the bigger teams, but that was it. Also, still being honest, I'd been a little pissed off at the club earlier since they had stolen one of my favorite players of all time, Brian McBride, from my very own Columbus Crew. But the prospect of seeing McBride in action again was a huge bonus, and we rightly figured it was our only shot at watching two Premiership clubs battle it out. And anyway, the Fulham roster was so chock full of American players that it was almost like watching the USA Men's National team in action. It was, indeed, Fulamerica.

We couldn't get Fulham's online ticket system to work correctly from the States, so I ended up calling the booking office directly. I instructed them that we were looking forward to an awesome Craven Cottage experience, meaning a great view of the pitch, a roof over our heads, and no structural poles to block our view. The exchange rate at the time was not favorable for American dollars, so I think we paid around $80.00 or $90.00 (£45) for each one. The nice gentleman on the other end of a remarkably clear line assured me that they were wonderful seats, and that we wouldn't be disappointed. I passed over my credit card number, and the deal was done.

The day of the match came, and my wife and I gamely set out. It was a beautiful day, sunny and warmer than we thought possible for London that time of the year. We knew enough to get off at the Putney Bridge tube station, but after that we simply followed the mass of people moving along the Thames, hoping we were headed in the right direction. The crowd grew as we went, and as we got closer they began singing songs and having a merry old time. The atmosphere was fun, loud, and boisterous, which was likely fueled in part by pre-match pints at the local pubs. We kept strolling along the wide walkway, and before we knew it, there was Craven Cottage, tucked away in the middle of what looked like a quaint residential neighborhood. We hadn't been expecting that at all.

I had done a little more digging before the game that day, and had discovered what dire shape the club was in, and what this match with Birmingham City meant to the Fulham faithful: if the team lost, they would be relegated. If they won, they might still be relegated the following week at Portsmouth, depending on their result and the results of others. It was a desperate time, which you could sense in the brittle nerves and anxious laughs of anyone sporting white and black.

As we squeezed through the turnstiles and entered the Cottage grounds, we were handed a cardboard banner that read proudly "Come on, you whites!", which could also be folded up like an accordion and used as a noisemaker. We were a little early, so we made our way to the Riverside Stand and took our seats, numbers 32 and 33 of Block Z, Row D. And no, the seats weren't exactly as "wonderful" as our gentleman had promised, since we were all the way down near the travelling Birmingham City fans at the Putney End - but they weren't bad. We settled in as the rest of the faithful began to fill in around us. I think "London Calling" was playing over the loudspeakers, but I can't remember for sure. I do recall that I was wearing a white Columbus Crew T-shirt, on the off chance that McBride might spot a fellow Yank from his former team. And no, he never did.

The clubs made their way out of the Cottage and walked across the immaculate pitch and toward the Premier League banner. The starting elevens lined up, with Fulham in their traditional white and black kits, and Birmingham City in an eye-searing red. The Whites started out attacking the Putney End, and since our seats were almost even with the penalty spot down there, that suited me just fine. The whistle blew, and we were underway.

Looking back now, many of the names Fulham fielded that day will certainly be synonymous with success, such as Hangeland, Davies, Hughes, and Bullard. A select few, such as Dempsey, McBribe, and Murphy, might even be revered as legends. Even the substitutes' bench was overflowing with talent with the likes of Bocanegra, Healy, and Nevland. I wish I had known then what I know now, that Roy and the core of this team would propel the Whites to some of their finest seasons in the Premiership, not to mention the Europa League thriller several years later.

The first 45 minutes simply flew by, and at the end of the first half the score was stubbornly stuck at 0-0. One young lady next to my wife just kept yelling, "Come on, you lads!!" over and over, and the crowd around us was up on their feet a dozen times. There were lots of groans and gasps as the match moved end to end with several chances, but nothing ended up in back of the net. I don't remember many specifics from that first half, except that the higher the clock ticked, the more nervous everyone around us became. But I'll tell you this - by the time the whistle blew at the end of the first 45 minutes, both my wife and I were hooked, completely and totally. We may have been the two newest Fulham fans at Craven Cottage that day, but we were screaming and shouting as loudly as any life-long veteran.

At halftime, we hurried behind the Riverside Stand and grabbed a bite to eat, and I bought a black and white Fulham scarf, which I still wear on match-days once in a while. I think of it as my lucky scarf, especially considering what happened in the next half.

When the referee got the game back underway, we were attacking the Hammersmith End. After only seven minutes, Fulham were awarded a free kick from outside the box. Jimmy Bullard stepped up to swing it in, and Brian McBride smashed a header into the left side of the net. I can't come up with enough adjectives to properly describe what happened at the Cottage then: it erupted, it exploded, it went completely bonkers. Every single fan jumped to their feet and were hugging and high-fiving anyone and everyone. I've never seen such passion, relief, and exhaustion, all at the same time.

Around the hour mark, Roy made his first substitution by swapping out Kamara for Erik Nevland.  There were still 30 minutes to go, and it was an incredibly tense half-hour. Being up a single goal was not enough, not with the season Fulham had been having, and not against Birmingham City, who were also fighting for their Premiership life. Knuckles were chewed, breaths were held, and most fans decided that standing was the only option since their frayed nerves wouldn't permit them to sit.

And then, in the 87th minute, Nevland dribbled through their defense and somehow tucked the ball into the back of the net. Like before, the Cottage went crazy, especially now that we felt assured of all three points. We couldn't see the goal very well from our seats, but we didn't need to.

A few minutes later the final whistle blew, the match was over, and Fulham were just one step away from Premiership salvation. The crowd went nuts a third and final time. There may have been tears. While we waited to leave the Cottage, the Fulham players and their families came out onto the pitch to say their goodbyes and to thank the fans. I remember Hangeland, Bullard, McBride, and the rest of the squad holding their kids and waving to the applauding crowd. And to be honest, every one of them looked as relieved as we did that this rocky season was nearly over.

The rest, as they say, is history. My wife and I were back home for the final match against Portsmouth, and of course it wasn't on television in the States. But thanks to that Danny Murphy header, we were safe for another year.

My wife and I have said ever since then that our one match at Craven Cottage was our favorite part of the entire trip, and the most exciting sporting event we've ever witnessed in person. It had everything we could have hoped for: great goals, legendary players, a healthy dose of desperation, and a thrilling finish. What more could you want?

Which brings us to this season. During this International Break, we all know that Fulham are in a very tight spot, although not as dire as that time in 2008. With a few more wins, a little luck, and dedication by the players, I'm certain we'll survive this season in the Championship. Then comes the summer, and a chance for Slavisa to form a team more to his - and our - liking, one that can hopefully challenge for promotion next season.

And if that's the case, then my wife and I will have to consider another trip across the pond, this time to watch them earn promotion. And don't worry - I'll be sure to bring my lucky black and white Fulham scarf.

#COYW

http://cottagersconfidential.sbnation.com/2016/3/26/11307952/remember-when-fulham-escapes-relegation-in-2008

WhiteJC

Fulham Midfielder Adeniran Shines In England Win;Arsenal Defender Bola Benched

Fulham starlet Dennis Adeniran assisted England U17s beat their Finnish counterparts 1-0 in the Young Lions second match at the UEFA European U17 Championship Elite Qualifying Round on Saturday afternoon.

The attacking midfielder was one of the two fresh faces in the starting line-up, having come off the bench in the win against Turkey two days ago.

The 17-year-old Adeniran played the entirety of the game at Harrison Park, Leek Town FC, whereas Arsenal defender Tolaji Bola was an unused substitute for the second game in a row.

He would have opened scoring in the first-half but his 25-yard effort narrowly missed the target before Dozzell netted the match-winner in the 33rd minute.

England will qualify for the 2016 UEFA European Under-17 Championship in Azerbaijan if they avoid defeat to Ukraine on Tuesday evening at Burton Albion's Pirelli Stadium.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

Photo Credit : fulhamfc.com

http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=18424