watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Too good to go down? Ha!

Started by win-dup, March 29, 2016, 10:47:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

win-dup

Always amused in a gallows humour sort of way when people say we are too good to go down. If we're that good why are we in such a dreadful position?

With the greatest respect to the supporters of MK Dons, a franchised artificiality, to think we have fallen so far that we are relying on this plastic club's results to prevent us dropping into Div 3 is abysmal.

I knew from day one that Ernie Khan would be a disaster for Fulham and so it is proving to be. Ooh look! No word on the new Riverside which was supposed to be started in May this year, what a surprise.

alfie

Quote from: win-dup on March 29, 2016, 10:47:17 AM
Always amused in a gallows humour sort of way when people say we are too good to go down. If we're that good why are we in such a dreadful position?

With the greatest respect to the supporters of MK Dons, a franchised artificiality, to think we have fallen so far that we are relying on this plastic club's results to prevent us dropping into Div 3 is abysmal.

I knew from day one that Ernie Khan would be a disaster for Fulham and so it is proving to be. Ooh look! No word on the new Riverside which was supposed to be started in May this year, what a surprise.

May's not here yet.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

davew

Perhaps building a hostel for bemused and battered Fulham fans would be a more attractive proposition, would certainly be filled quickly!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

MJG

Quote from: alfie on March 29, 2016, 10:50:50 AM

May's not here yet.

LOL

Max Headroom

We are too good to go down, but a lot of teams too good to go down have gone down.

jarv

Go down, remove the 2 top scorers from Fulham and what is left? Will it be division 3 or 4 standard? Opinions?

nose

no team is too good to go down
but we certainly are barely good enough to stay up
despite endless fiction that is written on this very MB, the squad is poor, some of us predicted a relegation dog fight before the first kick of this season just because we have such a poor bunch of players and I was    we were, right.

Not rocket science to predict this shambles.

hovewhite

Well our results suggest after the last 16 games we deserve to be where we are!

filham

Quote from: nose on March 29, 2016, 12:54:03 PM
despite endless fiction that is written on this very MB, the squad is poor, some of us predicted a relegation dog fight before the first kick of this season just because we have such a poor bunch of players and I was    we were, right.

No, that is not quite right, a lot of people on this board were lifted by our summer signings and mistakenly thought we had the makings of a top six team, they failed to realise that some of the signings were other club's unwanted players.

Also there were moments , such as the 4-0 win over QPR when we had just had 3 wins from our last 4 matches , that we felt the team had talent and that the season may be reasonable for us.

Over the course of the season our weaknesses have gradually been exposed and the tough , fast and physical nature of the Championship has forced us to make changes that have proved inadequate.

Max Headroom

I have continually thought we are good enough, but I think I have to eat humble pie and say we are not. I hope we don't go down, but if we do its not the end of the world

FPT

There's no such thing as too good to go down, but to deny the underachieving of our players would ludicrous. We've got plenty of players that have either won the division, been in the play offs or finished just below.

We should be mid-table at the least, but we're not. We should have beaten Bristol City, but we didn't. There's some fundamental issues at the football club clearly - we have no momentum, our players seem low on confidence, there's no winning mentality, the defending is still fragile.

I don't think it's as simple as another rebuild, the summer break probably can't come soon enough - supplement the squad with real quality, get some good coaching time in the summer and really work on focusing for the top and gaining some self belief.

But nobody is too good to go down, but we do have a quality advantage.

nose

Quote from: filham on March 29, 2016, 01:31:20 PM
Quote from: nose on March 29, 2016, 12:54:03 PM

No, that is not quite right, a lot of people on this board were lifted by our summer signings and mistakenly thought we had the makings of a top six team, they failed to realise that some of the signings were other club's unwanted players.

Also there were moments , such as the 4-0 win over QPR when we had just had 3 wins from our last 4 matches , that we felt the team had talent and that the season may be reasonable for us.

Over the course of the season our weaknesses have gradually been exposed and the tough , fast and physical nature of the Championship has forced us to make changes that have proved inadequate.

OK, I stand corrected and agree that some people thought the signings as very good at the moment we got them. Unfortunately once we saw them play that was blown out the water. I personally felt they were uninspiring and there was nobody of standout  proportion like a second Ross. If you recall I did say when richards signed and was lauded triumphantly from the club, it was a very worrying thing because i felt and and still feel he is far below the required standard if we are ever to progress.... itseemed to me we set the bar very low when we got him and we have all seen the result.

nose

Quote from: FPT on March 29, 2016, 03:11:01 PM
There's no such thing as too good to go down, but to deny the underachieving of our players would ludicrous. We've got plenty of players that have either won the division, been in the play offs or finished just below.

We should be mid-table at the least, but we're not. We should have beaten Bristol City, but we didn't. There's some fundamental issues at the football club clearly - we have no momentum, our players seem low on confidence, there's no winning mentality, the defending is still fragile.

I don't think it's as simple as another rebuild, the summer break probably can't come soon enough - supplement the squad with real quality, get some good coaching time in the summer and really work on focusing for the top and gaining some self belief.

But nobody is too good to go down, but we do have a quality advantage.

what garbutt didV bristol city was not a lack of confidence, it was unforgiveable selfishness as  he is week in week out. What dembele did was rank poor play when he was one on one... what amore did just before the free kick in the same game was rank poor play, charging out of defence to make a needless tackle that he missed, pulling the whole back line out of shape. three examples but I could slate the majority of the team for so much of what we do, the players aren't short on confidence because if they were they would play more conservatively and stick to their jobs.... they are poor and ill disciplined and cairney, muuch vaunted would do well to learn the meaning of pass it first time, he has the makings of a good player but holds it far too long.
Make no mistake, the squad is below the required standard.

copthornemike

Maybe a better turn of phrase would be to say we should be too good to go down - but we evidently are not!

Beamer

We are far beyond the too good to go down debate, surely the question now is are we good enough to stay up.

Jem

Quote from: Beamer on March 30, 2016, 08:56:42 AM
We are far beyond the too good to go down debate, surely the question now is are we good enough to stay up.
We are good enough, it's the application that will decide it!
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Mince n Tatties

If we are that good as some think,why have we failed
to beat a team in the top half when we met them.
As I said on another post we are awful side,if you
think different then your nuts I'm afraid.
Table doesn't lie..
Absolutely certain to go down???
Now come on you gutless lot who get well paid
prove me wrong...Coyw... 049:gif

FPT

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on March 30, 2016, 09:49:55 AM
As I said on another post we are awful side

Richard Stearman has won the division.

Ryan Fredericks and Fernando Amorebieta had good game time at Middlesbrough last season (and this in Fernando's case).

Tom Cairney has finished 7th and 9th at Blackburn and 8th at Hull before then.

Tim Ream finished 7th at Bolton.

Chris Baird helped Burnley to the 2nd place.

Andy Lonergan has finished 6th at Preston.

Rohan Ince has finished 6th at Brighton.

Ross McCormack has finished 4th at Cardiff.

That's 9 players we've got that have been big parts of sides to finish in the play offs at least - not including the bright young kids we have like Christensen and Bettinelli, nor those that are solid experienced Championship players like Ryan Tunnicliffe.

A good chunk of our players have a background of being in the top six - and the majority have finished in multiple times in midtable at least. Our squad is not awful, it's underachieving.

Mince n Tatties

It doesn't matter what they did at other clubs.
They can't play as a team here,so they are awful,table
doesn't lie.

SW6

It doesn't matter how good you are technically, it's how good you are mentally in the Championship.

We are nowhere near the required mental standard to stay up.

Saturday is a HUGE game.