Started by Friendsoffulham, March 30, 2016, 11:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Bristol Rovers v Fulham, Play off semi final 1st leg, May 1989

Friendsoffulham

Fulham v Bristol Rovers Play off semi final 2nd Leg, May 1989

ffc2004

Plodder

:012: Aaargh!  Did you have to put this up?  Of all the Fulham defeats I have endured, that was one of those which hurt the most.  Not that I dwell on it nearly 27 years later......My memory is of the Cottage being pretty full for the second leg, but on seeing the above, I looked up the figure in the Complete Record and found that the crowd was actually under 11,000, although that was by far the largest attendance of the season. which is maybe why I recall it as being quite full, in comparison with the 4,000 - 5,000 regular attendance figure.  Gordon Davies made some upbeat comments in the programme, but I feared the worst after the 1-0 away leg defeat.  Michael Cole missed a great chance in the first half, and you could see the belief go from our players after their first goal bobbled in on about the hour mark, if I recall correctly.  What the highlights don't show is Peter Scott getting sent off immediately after their first goal for a wild lunge, which took any remaining vestiges of hope from our team.  By the end, we were a dispirited rabble.

SW6

Good to see Fulham's defending at corners has improved.

We will be playing Bristol Rovers next season.

MJG

Remember the day well. Had been with TBT up in Doncaster having a few beers, football tournament (Where I scored a cracking goal, drag back, turn and low shot into the bottom corner. (You can tell Ive not scored that many goals in my life to remember that) on FA Cup final day and then on the sunday morining muggins here drove from Doncaster to Bristol with a packed a mini metro of guys who had been on it since at least friday night.
Then of course had to drive to London. Oh the good old days.

BestOfBrede

Was that at Baths ground, with their manager being Gerry Francis?
I think so and was there with my brother. Francis was winding the crowd up and I remember they ran at our end at the final whistle and threw all sorts of things at us. A woman was hit on the head with a stone or brick and had blood pouring from her head!
Disgrace.
And as stated our team gave up second leg - 4-0 loss weren't it?

Scrumpy

They had a decent team. Penrice and Devon White up front would cause anyone problems and I think Nigel Martyn was in goal. Could be wrong.

It was moody at Twerton, that's for sure. I remember them invading the pitch on the final whistle and all our players running for the tunnel, except for Doug Rougvie who applauded the Fulham fans and just stared at any Rovers fan that came near him. He had a 10 yard exclusion zone around him as he ambled back to the changing rooms.  :028:
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

HillingdonFFC

That brought back bad memories. Didn't go to the away leg as it was the first league game of the season at my cricket club. Is that Fulham on the right of the terrace?, pretty packed in there if so .
Rovers had a decent side as mentioned above.Devon White was a proper handful and Gary Penrice was arguably the best player in the division. Think Ian Holloway played too and he was decent at that level.
We rolled over in the home leg, just remember being gutted as watching Rovers fans going mad on the terraces.
Saw us in the FA Cup against Bath  there and Fulham fan Gary Peters and Clive Walker drew us level after being two down with ten to play.

Jims Dentist

Remember it well, really warm sunny day.

Yet again another shame about the result day out.

WayneKerrins

Horrible week. Took coach to the away game. No booze allowed and it was the right side of 75Degrees F When we arrived all pubs near ground were shut. 2 of us went in search of a pint or two and had to blag ourselves out of a meeting with 15 or so rovers outside a pub miles away. I think 2 v 15 was our saving grace. For some reason I remember palace were away at Swindon on the same day.
Game was non event, great near post save by Martyn from Ivor if I recall correctly, their easy goal and them being twats despite winning.
At home we started really well, they scored against run of play, Scotty was sent off and it all unraveled.i left 15 mins early for the first and only time I can ever recall and was then anti social in a puerile way to inanimate objects.