watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

In the heat of a relegation battle

Started by SW6, March 30, 2016, 01:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SW6

and in the real high-pressure moments in a game, seldom is it the player's skill that is going to be the thing that is going to prevail.

It is normally the quality of the decision they make under pressure.

filham

Quote from: SW6 on March 30, 2016, 01:32:45 PM
and in the real high-pressure moments in a game, seldom is it the player's skill that is going to be the thing that is going to prevail.

Not sure that bodes well for us.

SW6

Quote from: filham on March 30, 2016, 03:10:05 PM

Not sure that bodes well for us.

It's why we are where we are.

Good players, fragile mentality.

H4usuallysitting

Scrumpy

Very good point. If it's not a defender making a rash pass and losing the ball on the edge of our box, it's an attacker blazing high and wide instead of squaring to an unmarked team mate. Seen it so often this season. I would argue that we have the ability to be easily mid-table, but do we have the mental toughness or discipline?
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

Burt

For me it also comes down to mental toughness and resilience. How does this show?
- Fight for every ball.
- Win the 50/50s.
- Close down quickly.
- Break with speed and intent.
- Get in their faces.
- Showing none of the losing mentality that we have seen so much of as late.
- Guts, spirit, determination, fight, giving 100%.

In our last home game against Bristol City, the moment they equalised the body language from our team was one of defeat, at a time when the game was not lost, 3 points were still up for grabs, and we should have come out fighting.

MikeW

Woolly: I think Rene had charisma and character to be honest.
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

MJG

i would disagree with the comment about Jokanovic walking into the room and no one noticing.
The most confident people bring that with then and he reminded me of Marcel Desailly when I met him. He holds himself tall and straight and you do notice him well in advance. Unlike say Jol who shuffled into rooms.

Twig

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 31, 2016, 08:29:09 AM
Quote from: MikeW on March 31, 2016, 08:07:44 AM

Yes on reflection I tend to agree with you, and funnily enough, he was the one Manager who I thought, given enough time, could have prevented us being relegated, and had the potential to turn us into a decent footballing team. Obviously we will never know for sure, but he was the only one I was dissapointed to see him being replaced, in fact I was really annoyed, and even more annoyed after Magath his replacement was given a licence to reek havoc.
But your absolutely right, and I stand corrected.

Well I have to beg to differ as I feel that Joka is the one with the potential to turn us into a decent footballing team.  We shall just have to wait and see I guess.

Baszab

Mental toughness -- Don't for one minute think that the players care in any way about FFC - especially compared to how us supporters feel - if they can't be bothered on the day then we are stuffed - those loanees and those on end of contracts couldn't care less - it's up to our so-far-failure of a manager to motivate them in some way.

If we lose we will all be devastated, the players meanwhile will be back to Chelsea Harbour and out for dinner.

filham

So we think our boys may be under a bit of pressure on Saturday. Well remember Kieth Miller the Aussie test cricketer who had been a WW2 fighter pilot, he said that he could never understand talk of pressure in sport and added having an ME109 on your tail in a dog fight, that was pressure.

nose

Quote from: Baszab on March 31, 2016, 12:11:56 PM
Mental toughness -- Don't for one minute think that the players care in any way about FFC - especially compared to how us supporters feel - if they can't be bothered on the day then we are stuffed - those loanees and those on end of contracts couldn't care less - it's up to our so-far-failure of a manager to motivate them in some way.

If we lose we will all be devastated, the players meanwhile will be back to Chelsea Harbour and out for dinner.

actually that is not quite true re chelsea harbour, my son has a photo taken with three iof the current squad in a local eating outlet... they were thrilled he recognised them!

nose

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on March 31, 2016, 08:29:09 AM
Quote from: MikeW on March 31, 2016, 08:07:44 AM

Yes on reflection I tend to agree with you, and funnily enough, he was the one Manager who I thought, given enough time, could have prevented us being relegated, and had the potential to turn us into a decent footballing team. Obviously we will never know for sure, but he was the only one I was dissapointed to see him being replaced, in fact I was really annoyed, and even more annoyed after Magath his replacement was given a licence to reek havoc.
But your absolutely right, and I stand corrected.

and I met roy and he was hardly chaismatic, but he had an authority about him and i sense the same from this man too.