watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Would you take Gary Neville ?

Started by howitis, March 30, 2016, 06:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howitis

If we manage to stave off relegation but ONLY do so by default would you consider Gary Neville as coach ? I appreciate many will be saying "not another change" but if SJ only manages 3-5 wins then you seriously have to doubt his credentials. I guess the same can be argued for Neville performance stats in Spain but I'm not sure that was the right first job for him. I believe he knows the English game at all levels and would have the language/motivational skills/player respect to drive us forward.

Twig

Whether we stave off relegation or not I do not want a change. I am perfectly satisfied that we have a decent manager and I want to see the Board back him and give him time.  No to Neville and no to any other change of manager.

westcliff white

Firstly I think we need to give our manager 18 months or so changing every 8/9 months is ridiculous, So we sould stick with SJ.

As for Neville he is something to offer any club, Valencia was never going to work for him as a first job in my opinion, but a club like ours quite possibly would. However as I say stick with SJ is my prefere3nce right now
Every day is a Fulham day

gang

No thanks, if we survive this season in the Championship SJ will turn the club around next. Neville should concentrate on Valencia and Salford.

bobbo

Definately not , firstly he wouldn't come and he's got off to a really good start in management eh!
1975 just leaving home full of hope

@jolslover

Quote from: Twig on March 30, 2016, 06:19:31 PM
Whether we stave off relegation or not I do not want a change. I am perfectly satisfied that we have a decent manager and I want to see the Board back him and give him time.  No to Neville and no to any other change of manager.

+1
STH H3

SW6

Quote from: howitis on March 30, 2016, 06:03:45 PM
If we manage to stave off relegation but ONLY do so by default would you consider Gary Neville as coach ? I appreciate many will be saying "not another change" but if SJ only manages 3-5 wins then you seriously have to doubt his credentials. I guess the same can be argued for Neville performance stats in Spain but I'm not sure that was the right first job for him. I believe he knows the English game at all levels and would have the language/motivational skills/player respect to drive us forward.

No

H4usuallysitting

This option is far to sensible...when we send Joka packing, we need a period of at least 10 weeks without any manager/coach and then when the powers to be decide we need a replacement let's get in a five man committee to offer advice before ignoring there advice & give the job to Peter Grant with Mr Curbs as his advisor

Oakeshott

I can't see any reason why appointing Neville would be sensible, but the bigger question is do we continue with J, should we be relegated.

It clearly hasn't helped, changing manager frequently, and there is a lot to be said for a period of continuity. However, if we are relegated that to my mind will represent a monumental failure by J, raising serious doubt about his ability. Glad though I was to see a change of manager this season, and poor though many of our performances were under Kit, I do not believe we would have been relegated under him.

If we survive, clearly J should stay and be given a fair chance to show what he can do with a squad of his own choosing. But if he takes us down, I'm not so sure. If we stay in the Championship we are all surely hoping we will be challenging for at least a play off position. If we are relegated it is imperative that we come straight back up. Given what would be, should we get relegated, an enormous question mark about J's ability, can we afford to keep him? What if he proved no more effective in League 1 than so far in the Championship? We effectively waste yet another season. I can see a case for a summer replacement, who would then have time to try to improve the squad and a full season to get us up.

Frankly I am not sure, if we get relegated, whether keeping J or making an immediate change would be better. But obviously let us hope that that isn't the choice Khan has to face, and that with three points on Saturday we can look forward to a decent finish to the season and J coming really good next season.

FPT

"If SJ only manages 3-5 wins then you seriously have to doubt his credentials."

After being a 90th minute equaliser from winning the title last season, I think Jokanovic deserves more than 15 games.

Now, I like Gary Neville. His analysis is excellent and from what I saw, I thought he did well at Valencia in a similar situation as us in that a number of their players were underachieving.

- He stabilised results (which really is what should've been expected from him) guided them to the Copa Del Rey semis and the Europa League Round of 16 (knocked out by an away goal).

Would I replace Slavisa Jokanovic with Gary Neville? Probably not, but I think he'll be a very good Head Coach one day.

Whilst I'm here, I really hope we get Ray Lewington back at some point. In theory, he could double the jobs up but I think Ray Lewington's input, experience and quality will add a lot to us right now.

nose

we have one of the best managers, why swap him for a failed man with no experience, that is going backwards.... neville is guaranteed failure, like jol

Lighthouse

Those who can see improvement with SJ are clearly mistaking fools gold for the real thing. But another change? No I don't think we can be saved by any more changes. Once we are down we are going to be there for a very long time. If we stay up we are going to struggle for a very long time. We must be honest and hope that SJ learns from all the mistakes he has made and the belief that so many have will be rewarded.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

St Eve

ron

The tantalising question about whether or not to replace SJ is made more so by the seriousness of the consequences of relegation from the Championship to the League 1, and the now very short time frame left to do something positive to avoid the deadly drop. Which option represents panic......either another change away from someone who is clearly not steering us to safety in the hope that a fresh face can turn around the performance of the same team (a la Monty did in the desert!) before our status declines disastrously, or stick with the captain in the hope that the ship responds to his instructions and turns away from the rocks?  The most obvious thing is to stick with obeying the chief's orders as the best hope.......but so did the coxswain on the Torrey Canyon* !!

*Look up under Maritime Disasters 1967.

Andy S

Again no thanks. Joc has a job to do and the job of building a good side take time. There are a few managers out their who seem to build their teams in five minutes the trouble is they only last five minutes before the rest of the league works them out. I have seen improvement since he arrived and I believe that we only need a few additions to make this side very good but it would do no good to ditch the manager this side of Christmas in my opinion

RaySmith

Will Joka stay if we go down? Will the club sack him?
Who knows?

Neville? well he's still not the experienced at this level manager we require, though I'm sure he will become a very good manager.

David Allen Crankshaw

I would definitely not want Neville.

OdecaMynoT

The conundrum of football management.

You can talk a good game,have all the qualifications under the sun, but as

Mourinho found out man-management plays a key role.

Neville, back in your box.
D'er idee thic s'portin' Farlhum domajis d'er bloin iz two my moind obsquired.

J

Quote from: howitis on March 30, 2016, 06:03:45 PM

On the basis we stay up it seems a bit daft of an idea to dispense with a manager who has won promotion from the championship for one that has literally only had an unsuccessful spell in Spain...

G Nev seems knowledgeable, and the language barrier in Spain may well have been a big issue for him, so I feel he could still do well in the future

But say we did go down and SJ left (for whatever reason) Nev would be another gamble for us. If he somehow became manager whatever the circumstances I'd wish him well and hope for the best but doesn't seem like a good strategic move

Twig

Quote from: Lighthouse on March 30, 2016, 11:44:18 PM
Those who can see improvement with SJ are clearly mistaking fools gold for the real thing. But another change? No I don't think we can be saved by any more changes. Once we are down we are going to be there for a very long time. If we stay up we are going to struggle for a very long time. We must be honest and hope that SJ learns from all the mistakes he has made and the belief that so many have will be rewarded.

I take exception to being called a fool.  You can have an opinion, and we are all very clear what that is (you have explained it perfectly eloquently in many posts), but to state categorically that those of us who see improvement under Joka are "clearly mistaking fools gold for the real thing" is insulting my opinion. 
I trust that should Joka prove to be a successful long term manager for our club then you will have the good grace to eat a large dose of humble pie?