more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham v Liecester City 1983

Started by Friendsoffulham, March 31, 2016, 04:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

filham

Good to see that Fulham team in action again, some great players on show most of whom would walk into today's team.

cmg

Quote from: filham on March 31, 2016, 05:41:24 PM
Good to see that Fulham team in action again, some great players on show most of whom would walk into today's team.

...probably find a spot for that Leicester front two at a pinch.

Jims Dentist

Will never forget that 2nd half open goal miss by Coney.

BestOfBrede

Thank god for the underground drainage we now have!
Ray Houghton was just like Steeeed
Gerry Peyton great saves
Lineker should stick to crisps - sorry but always disliked him as a player, other then for England
That foul on Ivor would now of had the player rolling over and staying down until the culprit was sent off.
How did Deano miss that?
And just as today - why o why do we allow the ground to be overtaken with away support?

LBNo11

...remember going home and the battle to get through the underpass on Putney bridge from the park to the station too...

PS: Also dislike Lineker, various reasons...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Scrumpy

I started following Fulham in 1981, so this was easily the biggest crowd I'd witnessed (25k?). I think it remained the largest crowd at The Cottage right up until the Premiership days.

I remember the bitter disappointment of losing but also remember just how many Leicester fans turned up. Seems crazy now, but in those days you just turned up and paid at the turnstile. The Club and Police had a rough idea of how many would arrive, but the thought of it being 'all ticket' was alien to everyone.

Can you imagine it nowadays? It would be like Brentford Away being 'pay on the day'. Literally thousands of fans trying to get in, and ending up filtering into the home sections just to see the game. Little wonder there was trouble at a lot of games  fp.gif
English by birth, Fulham by the grace of God.

18stepsup

I was at Fulham v Preston for the third div title and think there was more then 25k there

RaySmith

I remember Fulham v the famous Spurs Double winning side in the early 60's- just pay on the gate as said - and I wasn't even able to get to my usual position on the half-way line  on the Riverside terracing- couldn't get beyond the Putney End, crammed in and struggling to see the pitch. I think the crowd was well over 25,000.

Crowds generally very big, by today's  standards, for Fulham home games at that time, of around 22,000 average, I  remember -mostly standing. Regularly being swept up off my feet and carried along, as  I exited down the steps, is a vivid memory.

Sir Alec of good Stock

I think that the record crowd at Craven Cottage is 49,000 and the capacity reduced to 42,000 when the Riverside Stand was opened in or around the 72/73 season.

jarv

What a good keeper Gerry Peyton was.  Superb handling.  The team then played excellent football, a pleasure to watch.

Travers Barney

Recall going to Leicester in the 70's with bricks and bottles being thrown at us on the way to Filbert Street from the train station so forgive me for not being quite so euphoric and happy about the current love in they enjoy.

coyw
We are the whites

cmg

Quote from: RaySmith on April 01, 2016, 07:57:09 AM
I remember Fulham v the famous Spurs Double winning side in the early 60's- just pay on the gate as said - and I wasn't even able to get to my usual position on the half-way line  on the Riverside terracing- couldn't get beyond the Putney End, crammed in and struggling to see the pitch. I think the crowd was well over 25,000.

Crowds generally very big, by today's  standards, for Fulham home games at that time, of around 22,000 average, I  remember -mostly standing. Regularly being swept up off my feet and carried along, as  I exited down the steps, is a vivid memory.

You're not wrong there, Ray. It was over 43,000! As you say, no thought of 'all ticket' or segregation in those days.
We should have been meeting them again that season in what would have been 'all-ticket' but that was not to be...

Burt

Remember this one, gutted by the result. If I recall there were some Leicester in the Hammy End too and it got a bit tasty at one stage.