watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sunday Fulham Stuff (03/04/16)...

Started by WhiteJC, April 03, 2016, 08:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Moussa Dembele and Ross McCormack secure vital three points for Fulham against MK Dons

Whites claim glory in relegation six pointer

Moussa Dembele of Fulham reacts

Moussa Dembele's goal 15 minutes from time gave Fulham a priceless three points against fellow strugglers MK Dons.

The Whites were only a point clear of the visitors going into the game, with the Buckinghamshire side occupying the final place in the relegation zone.

Fulham dominated proceedings and should have been out of sight in the first half but took the lead when Ross McCormack scored after 54 minutes.

However, Josh Murphy was allowed to go clean through and he equalised, lobbing Marcus Bettinelli.

But McCormack turned provider as he teed up Dembele to fire home from six yards.

Fulham raced out of the blocks and Tom Cairney should have put the home side in front after 30 seconds but he fired wide.

Just two minutes later, Dembelehad a chance to give the home side the lead but he hit the ball over the crossbar.

Midway through the first half, McCrmack struck a powerful effort from 25 yards into the post before Dembele fired straight at Cody Cropper as the first half finished goalless.

The Whites continued to press in the second half and Dembele knocked the ball across the box for McCormack to turn the ball home and send Craven Cottage into raptures.

However, the home defence fell asleep and Murphy pounced to level the contest and bring the nerves back into the home fans.

But, with 15 minutes to go, Fulham had the winner as McCormack turned provide for Dembele to slot home from lose range and relieve the home supporters as they moved clear of the drop zone.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/moussa-dembele-ross-mccormack-secure-11128758?

WhiteJC

Fulham dig out vital win against MK Dons

Fulham put a four-point gap between themselves and Milton Keynes with a 2-1 victory at Craven Cottage.

Goals by Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele helped the home side to win their first game since February, a win over local rivals Charlton.

The hosts took the first early chance after just 35 seconds, when Tom Cairney was found in space but put his effort wide of keeper Cody Cropper.

Dembele then took advantage of a lethargic Milton Keynes defence on three minutes, but fired his effort from seven yards out over the bar.

The visitors started to get a foothold in the game, although Dean Bowditch flashed his shot high and wide on 16 minutes. McCormack unleashed a superb drive from 25 yards on 26 minutes, yet his shot agonisingly hit the right-hand post.

Dembele missed his second chance of the afternoon from close range on 36 minutes, when he was unable to connect with a cross across the face of goal by Ryan Tunnicliffe.

Cropper made two fine saves in the space of two minutes - firstly, he turned a 38th-minute shot from Cairney over the bar, before blocking a close-range effort from Dembele.

After arguably being fortunate to be level by the break, the visitors started off the second half with more urgency.

However, Fulham went ahead on 54 minutes after Dembele was first to a long ball down the left, allowing him to turn the ball back from the byline for McCormack to slot home his 22nd goal of the season.

Cropper was called into action again on the hour mark, twice in quick succession, when he palmed away a McCormack volley, only to tip a follow-up by Dembele over the bar.

The hosts were made to pay for their lack of goals on 62 minutes, when Milton Keynes equalised against the run of play - the Fulham defence let Josh Murphy in unmarked for him to lob over the otherwise underemployed Marcus Bettinelli.

Fulham took the lead again with 14 minutes of regulation time remaining, when McCormack turned provider for Dembele, crossing in from the byline to allow his strike partner to slot home from close range.

With five minutes of additional time added, Fulham held on gain three valuable points - and to leave their opponents in deep relegation trouble.

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/milton-keynes-dons/fulham-dig-out-vital-win-against-mk-dons-1805525.html?

WhiteJC

Friday    
QPR
2-3 Middlesbrough
Saturdays Results   
Blackburn
1-2 Preston
Brighton
2-2 Burnley
Bolton
0-1 Reading
Cardiff
2-1 Derby
Charlton
2-1 Birmingham
Wolves
0-0 Ipswich
Huddersfield
0-1 Sheff Wed
Hull
4-0 Bristol City
Nottm Forest
0-3 Brentford
Rotherham
2-1 Leeds
Fulham
2-1 MK Dons

WhiteJC

MK DONS SQUEEZED OUT IN SIX POINTER BY FULHAM'S MOUSSA DEMBELE

A vital six pointer in the Championship went against MK Dons as Fulham beat them 2-1 at Craven Cottage.

Fulham took the lead shortly after half-time when Ross McCormack bundled in a low cross, but MK Dons were only behind for eight minutes before Murphy lobbed Marcus Bettinelli to equalise. But Moussa Dembele's goal with 16 minutes remaining gave the home side the three points.

While the hosts were toasting a step closer to survival, it was a bad day for the Dons. Victories for Rotherham and Charlton reinforced the misery factor for the home side, who are now four points from safety ahead of the final seven games of the season.

With this game seeing 4th from bottom host 3rd from bottom as the season heads into its final month, this relegation six pointer took on a vital context for both sides. Victory for MK Dons would take them back out of the bottom 3 after defeat at Brighton two weeks ago, while defeat would increase the margin to the Cottagers and Rotherham.

In his efforts to get rewards, Karl Robinson rang in four changes for the Dons, and it was two of them with the Dons' first big chances, but Joe Walsh headed wide from Dean Bowditch's corner, and the winger then hit a left-footed drive over the top.

Fulham had chances before this, but Tom Cairney & Moussa Dembele couldn't make their attempts count with neither finding the target.

The Cottagers were beginning to grow into the contest, and had the best chance of the game when their top scorer Ross McCormack received the ball and hit a strike from distance that flew past Cody Cropper, but ricocheted away off the post.

The Dons however were still having their own chances, with Alex Revell receiving a deflected cross only to fire off target.

As the game moved towards half-time, Fulham began to take control of the match. Moments after a dangerous cross failed to find one of three Cottagers attackers, Cropper was called to make a good save to deny Cairney and an excellent stop to keep Dembele out.

The Dons were able to ride the half out and keep things goalless at the end of the first period. After Rohan Ince snatched at an effort in the opening minute of the second period, MK Dons were able to begin to show signs of life going forward, with a fair amount of positive forays forward, and a grievance when Revell was flagged offside when clean through.

But then, it was Fulham who grabbed the game's opener. A through-ball was picked up by Dembele, who evaded his opponents and crossed from the byline for McCormack to slide the ball over the line and give the home side the opening goal.

Fulham then threatened to run away with things, with Cropper making an excellent double stop to keep out Fulham's strike pairing.

But from seemingly nothing, a long ball down exposed Fulham's sleeping defence and released Murphy, who broke free towards the home goal and then lobbed the home goalkeeper to give the Dons parity.

With both sides desperate for a win, the game's second goal was very quickly followed by vital saves at each end. At one end, Cropper kept out a zipping effort from Ryan Tunnicliffe, while at the other end, a smart Bettinelli stop kept out substitute Carl Baker.

Revell then had a goal disallowed, with the flag rising before the striker put the ball through the home keeper's legs. That would prove even more of a sickener when Fulham re-took the lead, as Dembele received McCormack's pass and flicked the ball into the back of the net.

After that blow, the Dons huffed & puffed in an attempt to get themselves back level for a second time in this encounter, but while the team showed industry & endeavour, it wasn't translating into goals. Not that this was for lack of trying, with Antony Kay heading over and substitute Nicky Maynard having an effort deflected into the keeper's hands.

But despite trying to find a way back, there was to be no second equaliser and MK Dons were sent back north with no points in a game they dare not have lost. It leaves the Dons further in the mire ahead of a week featuring big games with Wolves and Rotherham.

Fulham: Bettinelli – Stearman (Fredericks 68), Madl, Amorebieta, Ream – Cairney (Smith 83), Parker, Ince, Tunnicliffe – McCormack, Dembele

Subs not used: Lonergan, Burns, Garbutt, O'Hara, Woodrow

Goal: McCormack (54), Dembele (74)

MK Dons: Cropper – Baldock, Walsh, Kay, Lewington – Potter, Forster-Caskey (Powell 88) – Bowditch (Maynard 72), Williams (Baker 56), Murphy – Revell

Subs not used: Burns, Spence, Long, Carruthers

Goal: Murphy (62)

http://citiblog.co.uk/2016/04/02/fulham-mk-dons-match-report/?

WhiteJC

Fulham 2-1 MK Dons: Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele seal huge win

Fulham put a four-point gap between themselves and MK Dons in the Sky Bet Championship relegation fight with a 2-1 victory at Craven Cottage on Saturday afternoon.

Goals by Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele helped the home side to win their first game since February, a win over local rivals Charlton.

The hosts took the first early chance after just 35 seconds, when Tom Cairney was found in space but put his effort wide of keeper Cody Cropper.

Dembele then took advantage of a lethargic Milton Keynes defence on three minutes, but fired his effort from seven yards out over the bar.

The visitors started to get a foothold in the game, although Dean Bowditch flashed his shot high and wide on 16 minutes.

McCormack unleashed a superb drive from 25 yards on 26 minutes, yet his shot agonisingly hit the right-hand post.

Dembele missed his second chance of the afternoon from close range on 36 minutes, when he was unable to connect with a cross across the face of goal by Ryan Tunnicliffe.

Cropper made two fine saves in the space of two minutes - firstly, he turned a 38th-minute shot from Cairney over the bar, before blocking a close-range effort from Dembele.

After arguably being fortunate to be level by the break, the visitors started off the second half with more urgency.

Ross McCormack: Scored his 22nd goal of the season

However, Fulham went ahead on 54 minutes after Dembele was first to a long ball down the left, allowing him to turn the ball back from the byline for McCormack to slot home his 22nd goal of the season.

Cropper was called into action again on the hour mark, twice in quick succession, when he palmed away a McCormack volley, only to tip a follow-up by Dembele over the bar.

The hosts were made to pay for their lack of goals on 62 minutes, when Milton Keynes equalised against the run of play - the Fulham defence let Josh Murphy in unmarked for him to lob over the otherwise underemployed Marcus Bettinelli.

Fulham took the lead again with 14 minutes of regulation time remaining, when McCormack turned provider for Dembele, crossing in from the byline to allow his strike partner to slot home from close range.

With five minutes of additional time added, Fulham held on gain three valuable points - and to leave their opponents in deep relegation trouble.

http://www.skysports.com/football/fulham-vs-mk-dons/report/339992?

WhiteJC

MK Dons boss Karl Robinson not happy with Fulham game officials after Alex Revell goal disallowed

Karl Robinson wasn't happy with the officials in the Fulham game

MK Dons manager Karl Robinson was frustrated that striker Alex Revell's goal was wiped off for offside in the 2-1 defeat at Fulham.

The striker looked like he had stayed onside for the goal, and Robinson says that referees have cost his team in recent weeks.

"At 1-1 against a very good side we had a very good goal wiped off," said Robinson.

"He's onside and my players have been fined for surrounding referees after Kyle McFadzean's sending off so we're trying to learn our lesson but when we do we get punished.

"I can't ask for more and the fans came down and gave their all.

"It's frustrating – officials are costing us big time at the moment.

"I'm not blaming them for everything all season, I've tried to be different and calmer but they're costing us.

"I can't expect that to carry on and my players deserve more – maybe the PGMOL should call me for once and tell me why things aren't going for my team."

Joe Walsh was back in the team after recovering from his recent injury and Robinson was impressed with how he coped with Moussa Dembele.

"I thought Joe gave us tremendous quality and appetite and he coped with the speed and power of Dembele which not many do.

"There were a lot of positives out of today's game and it doesn't seem like that when you get beat.

"I think my players have done very well and my players have been dealt some difficult cards again.

"I thought Cody Cropper was excellent and we soldier and march on and do our best."

Read more: http://www.onemk.co.uk/MK-Dons-boss-Karl-Robinson-happy-Fulham-game/story-29039408-detail/story.html#ixzz44kKf3KbX
Follow us: @YourMKWeb on Twitter | mymkweb on Facebook

WhiteJC

Slavisa Jokanovic: Fulham eyeing 'seven cup finals' in relegation battle

Slavisa Jokanovic refused to get carried away after Fulham beat fellow relegation strugglers Milton Keynes 2-1 at Craven Cottage.

The home side won their first game since February with strikes from Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele. However, the Fulham manager believes that his side are still well within danger of dropping to League One.

"It's the end of the run without any wins, in front of us are seven cup finals. We are not safe with this three points today," he said.

"I can be satisfied with many things today, with the way my team played, but it's not time for a holiday.

"We have a job in front of us. In three days' time we have another cup final in front of us.

"We made one mistake and I believe we can avoid this situation where MK Dons scored their goal."

Fulham went ahead after 54 minutes after Dembele was first to a long ball down the left, allowing him to turn the ball back from the byline for McCormack to slot home his 22 goal of the season.

The hosts were made to pay for their lack of goals after 62 minutes, when Milton Keynes equalised through Josh Murphy, lobbing over Marcus Bettinelli.

MK Dons boss Karl Robinson believed referee Tim Robinson should have allowed a 70th-minute Alex Revell effort, which was ruled offside.

"The officials cost us, his goal was onside - they know that, they understand that and they know they made an error," he said.

"At 1-1 it's a big decision. It's a bitter pill to take. A draw would have been a fair result on the balance of the game.

"I don't think we deserved to win here, but I don't think they deserved to win either.

But we've been beat and we have to take it on the chin. "When we give our all, like we did today....as you know one of their players is worth more than our whole squad."

Read more at: https://www.clubcall.com/fulham/slavisa-jokanovic-fulham-eyeing-seven-cup-finals-in-relegati-1805556.html?

WhiteJC

Fulham still have 'very serious job', Jokanovic warns

Slavisa Jokanovic says Fulham are still far safe despite the crucial win over relegation rivals MK Dons that gave them a four-point cushion above the drop zone.

The relief around Craven Cottage was palpable after a victory that ended a dismal run, but the job is far from done, according to the Whites boss.

"We are not safe with these three points. I can be satisfied with my team today, but it's no time for holiday or vacation," Jokanovic said.
"We have a very serious job in front of us and in three days it will be another cup final for us [at Preston].

"For us it's the end of the run. These are cup final games and in front of us are seven final games more.

"We must recognise our situation and we must arrive in this period in front of us with a mentality that this is our chance, our moment.

"We are [still] in position 21 in the Championship and we have huge space to improve."

Fulham dominated the game but almost paid the price for missing chances and conceding a soft equaliser.

"Today we shot many times and made many chances, and we had possession of the ball," Jokanovic said.

"But we made one mistake and I believe we can avoid this situation where MK Dons scored a goal.

"All the mistakes we have paid for very expensively. But we are where we are and what we have to do is concentrate in these last seven games."

http://www.westlondonsport.com/fulham/fulham-still-have-very-serious-job-jokanovic-warns?

WhiteJC

Fulham boss refuses to get carried away after MK Dons win

The home side won their first game since February with strikes from Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele

New thought: Slavisa Jokanovic

Slavisa Jokanovic refused to get carried away after Fulham beat fellow relegation strugglers Milton Keynes 2-1 at Craven Cottage.

The home side won their first game since February with strikes from Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele.

However, the Fulham manager believes that his side are still well within danger of dropping to League One.

"It's the end of the run without any wins, in front of us are seven cup finals. We are not safe with this three points today," he said.

"I can be satisfied with many things today, with the way my team played, but it's not time for a holiday.

"We have a job in front of us. In three days' time we have another cup final in front of us.

"We made one mistake and I believe we can avoid this situation where MK Dons scored their goal."

Fulham went ahead after 54 minutes after Dembele was first to a long ball down the left, allowing him to turn the ball back from the byline for McCormack to slot home his 22nd goal of the season.

The hosts were made to pay for their lack of goals after 62 minutes, when Milton Keynes equalised through Josh Murphy, lobbing over Marcus Bettinelli.

Tickets for Fulham v Cardiff City at Craven Cottage this Saturday (9 April) are available to purchase on General Sale, priced from just £25 adults and from £15 juniors (under 17).

Call the Fulham FC Ticket office on: 0843 208 1234 or visit: fulhamfc.com/tickets
What's more there will be a Family Fun Day from midday prior to the 3pm kick-off. Activities include inflatables, sports games, face painter, balloon modeller and a lot more for all the family to enjoy for FREE.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-refuses-carried-away-11129537?

WhiteJC

Dembele delivers the decisive blow
by DAN on APRIL 2, 2016

It was far from pretty, but Slavisa Jokanovic won't care. Points rather than polished performances are the order of the day as Fulham languish worryingly close to the Championship trap door and a vital victory over Milton Keynes Dons meant the Whites now have a crucial four-point cushion over their closest relegation rivals. The deadliest strike partnership in the division – Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele – combined for the goals that decided this nervy, but gripping contest and it is no exaggeration that without their key forwards, Fulham would already be preparing for life in League One.

Fulham's first win since February was thoroughly deserved, but for all the quality of their football, the goals were a long time in coming. McCormack's 22nd of the season arrived nine minutes after half time but owed everything to the persistence and unselfishness of Dembele. The French teenager, who has been linked with a surfeit of potential suitors across Europe again this week as he looks set to leave Craven Cottage when his contract expires in the summer, did superbly to reach a floated ball from Fernando Amorebieta and render goalkeeper Cody Cropper helpless with a low cross that left McCormack with the simple task of sliding the ball home from three yards.

Both McCormack and Dembele had chances moments later to extend Fulham's lead but the pair were denied in quick succession by splendid reaction saves from Cropper and the MK Dons were soon back in the game as the home side's defensive fragility came to the fore. There appeared little danger when Jake Forster-Caskey's long ball bounced in front of both Amorebieta and Tim Ream but neither man managed to clear it, allowing Josh Murphy to nip in behind them and coolly lob the stranded Marcus Bettinelli.

The prospect of allowing another lead to slip, as Fulham did in their last home game against fellow strugglers Bristol City, suddenly reared its ugly head. It looked even likelier for a heart-stopping moment once Alex Revell had drifted in behind the Fulham back four to poke the ball past Bettinelli, but the travelling supporters' joy was cut short by an offside flag. Fulham kept searching for a second and it arrived with fourteen minutes left. Ryan Fredericks, who added pace and verve down the right as a substitute, appeared to have overhit his cross, but McCormack's perseverance kept things alive and his low cross picked out his strike partner. Dembele made no mistake – burying his low shot through the crowd and past a possibly unsighted Cropper to restore the home side's advantage.

They clung to it doggedly despite belated MK Dons pressure as the visitors fashioned two chances at the death. First, Betttinelli appeared to get the merest of fingertips to Carl Barker's goalbound free-kick, but referee Tim Robinson – who was far from impressive – failed to award to a corner. Then, in more than five minutes of angst-filled stoppage-time, Daniel Powell's low shot took a wicked deflection and Bettinelli was able to smother the loose ball in a six-yard box packed full of yellow shirts.

The margin of victory was far narrower than Fulham's first half dominance might have suggested. Tom Cairney had the game's first chance after just thirty seconds, shooting wide from the edge of the box and Moussa Dembele wastefully shot over from eight yards after pouncing on a defensive mistake. Cropper made two terrific saves in the space of sixty seconds, first tipping over a dipping Cairney strike from distance and then denying Dembele with his feet at point blank range after the Frenchman had unleashed a low drive. The visitors threatened sporadically through Revell, but their best chance came from a Josh Murphy corner that the returning Joe Walsh headed wide.

Jokanovic refused to be carry away after the final whistle, insisting that this victory has done little more than offer some additional breathing space and turned his attention to Tuesday's trip to Preston. His team selection today, with four central defenders and four central midfielders spread across the park, suggested that pragmatism has replaced artistry and that he expects his side to scrap. This wasn't an attractive victory but any means, but nobody could fault the endeavour – or the importance of the result.

FULHAM (4-4-2): Bettinelli; Stearman (Fredericks 68), Ream, Madl, Amorebieta; Ince, Parker, Cairney (Smith 83), Tunnicliffe; McCormack (Burn 95), Dembele. Subs (not used): Lonergan, Garbutt, O'Hara, Woodrow.

BOOKED: Amorebieta, Stearman, McCormack, Tunnicliffe, Dembele.

GOALS: McCormack (54), Dembele (76).

MK DONS (4-2-3-1): Cropper; Baldock, Lewington, Walsh, Kay; Forster-Caskey (Powell 88), Potter; Bowditch (Maynard 72), Murphy, Williams (Barker 57); Revell. Subs (not used): Long, Spence, Carruthers, Burns.

BOOKED: Walsh,

GOAL: Murphy (63)

REFEREE: Tim Robinson (West Sussex)

ATTENDANCE: 17,588.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2016/04/dembele-delivers-the-decisive-blow/?

WhiteJC

Fulham 2-1 MK Dons: Five talking points as the Whites take a step towards safety

The key points coming out of Craven Cottage after a big win for the Whites

Fulham's Scott Parker

The home side won their first game since February with strikes from Ross McCormack and Moussa Dembele.

However, the Fulham manager believes that his side are still in danger of dropping to League One.

Here are some of the talking points from a crucial win for the Whites.

Fulham need more than just McCormack and Dembele

Double trouble: Moussa Dembele and Ross McCormack

Ross McCormack, Moussa Dembele are the only ones who look likely to score for Fulham on a regular basis and Slavisa Jokanovic needs to take the pressure off them.

Tom Cairney should have done better with the chances he had against MK Dons and had his shot after 30 seconds gone in it would probably have been a less stressful day at Craven Cottage.

However, it was no surprise to see McCormack and Dembele on the scoresheet as they looked threatening all afternoon.

The Whites, though, may have to plan for life without them as the summer rolls near.

Whites need to be a bit more boring
Fulham are the second highest goalscorers in the division with 59, while leaders Burnley have 63.

They've found the net eight more times than Middlesbrough but the north east club are where they are in the table because they have only conceded 25, which is 40 less than Fulham.

On goals conceded, Fulham are in the bottom three, shipping 65 so far this season. On paper, they should be better defensively yet a critical mistake is made time and time again as was the case today.

While it is entertaining for the neutral as there have been 124 goals scored in Fulham games this season, 14 more than 'second placed' Brentford, Whites fans would rather it was a bit less exciting.

Indeed, goals wise, watching the likes of Hull and Middlesbrough are near the bottom of goals seen but they are challenging for promotion.

Perfect Parker
Scott Parker proved his worth again by getting stuck in in midfield and allowing the likes of Tom Cairney to thrive going forward.

The former England captain is happy to get his hands dirty but it is his work ethic that drive Fulham forward.

Father Time will, eventually, catch up with the 35-year-old but he still has the talent left in him to be effective at Craven Cottage.

Given Parker is keen to become a coach, it would be worthwhile Jokanovic adding him to his staff while still keeping him as a player for next season, much like his role was under Peter Grant.

MK for the drop?
MK Dons looked like a side who knew they were in deep trouble after the 2-1 defeat and, if truth be told, it should have been a thrashing.

They failed to really threaten Fulham and it was only a defensive error that allowed them back into the game.

It is looking more and more likely that Karl Robinson's side will be joining Charlton and Bolton in taking the plunge into League One.

Time to follow it up
Fulham have won back-to-back games twice all season and they have followed up crucial victories with heavy defeats as they did at Blackburn in February.

The Whites travel to Preston on Tuesday and they will go into the contest as underdogs, given the Lilywhites' strong standing in the league.

A victory would start to ease the fears of relegation and a draw would also been seen as a sign of progress.

A loss, coupled with MK Dons beating Wolves, would mean it's back to square one for Slavisa Jokanovic's side with the Buckinghamshire side facing Rotherham on Saturday.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-2-1-mk-dons-11129700?