watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Naming stands or stadia after footballers

Started by Tempest, April 04, 2016, 05:22:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tempest

So with the Bobby Charlton stand, Puskas, Maradona, George Best Airport and plenty of other examples of stands or stadia being named after  players, can you think of any either current player or even one in the last 10 years in the PL or the mighty whites would have made such an impact on a club that they would name a stand after them?

Wayne Rooney, United  & England leading goal scorer (soon to be at united) I can't imagine anything named after him?

Terry? Not a chance at Chelsea and yet a club legend

Wenger? Nope.

Christiano? Can't see it

World football I can see Messi, Bouffon and Zlatan - although In Zlatans case I'm sure his house, dog, cat, goldfish and next doors chickens are called Zlatan already! Although I do feed a family of Seagulls, Mr & Mrs Syd the Seagull, they have a kid who was born last year and is also being fed by us, he is named Zlatan.

Live in Falmouth!

fulhamben

well sheffield named one after jessica ennis, but she made them change it after they tried to sign a rapist. she is the only current sports person who has one named afetr her i think
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

MikeW

The Terry Hurlock stand has a ring to it ....
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

cmg

Not uncommon overseas. In fact it was only on Saturday, while watching El Classico, that I learnt that Santiago Bernabeu actually played for Real (although I guess he had to make it to president before he got the joint named after him).

The Guiseppe Meazza springs immediately to mind. Although my favourite is the one in Sofia named after Bulgaria's favourite son - The Dimitar Berbatov Stadium.....no, not really, I lied about that. It's named after Georgi Asparuhov who refused to leave Bulgaria to play in Italy (or had it refused for him by the totalitarian state) and died in a car crash aged 28.

tommy

:wow:I could see the Alan shearer stand at Newcastle some point in the future.

The John Terry toilet block at Stamford Bridge maybe????

FPT

I think Chelsea would eventually name a stand after John Terry, whether that's soon or not, I don't know. They already have Frankie's Bar.

United have obviously already named two stands after Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Bobby (the knighthood a pretty good sign of success). Rooney feels like one that would have bar or restaurant named after him; I imagine Ryan Giggs in time will eventually have something like a stand named after him - more likely if he ever takes charge and is successful.

As for Fulham, obviously we already have the Johnny Haynes, and we see what happens when the Riverside Stand is built and opened - maybe room for that go to Jimmy Hill (or Mohamed Al Fayed).

Finishing on current players, maybe West Ham will do something for Mark Noble when he retires (presumably as a West Ham player).

tommy

I doubt Rooney would as he's not a United fan

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: FPT on April 04, 2016, 06:18:23 PM
I think Chelsea would eventually name a stand after John Terry, whether that's soon or not, I don't know. They already have Frankie's Bar.

United have obviously already named two stands after Sir Alex Ferguson and Sir Bobby (the knighthood a pretty good sign of success). Rooney feels like one that would have bar or restaurant named after him; I imagine Ryan Giggs in time will eventually have something like a stand named after him - more likely if he ever takes charge and is successful.

As for Fulham, obviously we already have the Johnny Haynes, and we see what happens when the Riverside Stand is built and opened - maybe room for that go to Jimmy Hill (or Mohamed Al Fayed).

Finishing on current players, maybe West Ham will do something for Mark Noble when he retires (presumably as a West Ham player).

Thought Fankies bar was named as such, after its owner Frankie Detori?!
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

dannyboi-ffc

Steven Gerrard or Ryan Giggs possibly. Leicester could end up with a few candidates. Henry Bergkamp and Adams have statues at the emirates at young ages.

Yaya Toure and Silva at City although the most likely is going to be Aguero.

There's a few who are worthy of the debate but not many will get this recognition. Great question by the way!

Looking abroad I'd say Totti for Roma has to be up there. He is like God to them. Fergie is the most recent that I can remember
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Woolly Mammoth

They are naming a Potato after him calling it Spud Rooney.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Vinnieffc

Spurs were going to name their stand the Kilinsmann stand but it just kept falling over..

Supermitch

Quote from: Vinnieffc on April 04, 2016, 08:31:46 PM
Spurs were going to name their stand the Kilinsmann stand but it just kept falling over..
064.gif

Barrett487

Aston Villa could name one after Peter Withe  :005:

Barrett487

Burnley could even name one after Ralph Coates

I'm on a roll now

Holders

Pompey - the Eion Hand stand, perhaps.

Others: The John Terry bogs (as someone suggested) or at Sunderland the Adam Johnson bike shed. At Liverpool or Leeds, the Tommy Smith or Norman Hunter A&E units.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Sgt Fulham

We should name the new Riverside stand the Kostas Mitroglou stand.  :022:

Dr Know

The ticket office at Old Trafford should be named after Bobby  the tout  Charlton.

Legate21

Quote from: tommy on April 04, 2016, 06:15:13 PM
:wow:I could see the Alan shearer stand at Newcastle some point in the future.

The John Terry toilet block at Stamford Bridge maybe????

Alan Shearer had the bar at St James Park named "Shearer's" in his honour. Didn't last long. Mike Ashley soon changed it back to "Nine" or something along those lines.

Vinnieffc

We should rename the riverside as the 'Eddie The Eagle Stand' as we're going rapidly downhill..

CorkCity

We should name a Restaurant after George Cohen
"don't dwell on reality ,it will only keep you from greatness"