News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

So does this mean that we have 3 strikers available for Europe?

Started by Brede Butter Pudding, February 03, 2010, 09:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brede Butter Pudding

I'm sure I have made a number of mistakes here so please correct me if so, but:

We have Erik Nevland and Bobby Zamora who are both registered to play in the Europa League

However, Clint Dempsey, Zoltain Gera and now Andy Johnson are all injured, which rules out another 3 forwards.

I was under the impression that David Elm was not availbale for Europe as he wasn't submitted or something.

Also, I presume that Okaka isn't able to play as he has played for Roma in the competition already.

Does that mean that we currently have 2 strikers available for play in the Europa League, excluding Gera who may well be fit for Shakhtar? If so, wasn't it a huge mistake letting Kamara leave for Celtic?

Not only will this impact the Europa which I know many consider to be our least important competition, but in the league say, we now only have Nevland, Bobatov and Okaka fit. I hate to say it, but what if one of them got injured tonight which is definitely possible considering the bad luck we've had recently. Will we have to give call ups to some youth players (which I wouldn't be completely opposed to), considering AJ may well be out for the season, Clint is still at least 6 weeks away and Gera is out for at least the next two games, we are in a dire situation. Just makes the Kamara situation seem even more bizarre.

Please correct my mistakes!

The Doctor

I think we could register Elm if we so choose.  Since we signed him on the original deadline day, you're probably right that we missed UEFA's deadline for the group stage.

But we're now eligible to replace 3 players before the next round starts.  One of whom may have played in UEFA tournaments this season

Now, Elm has played in a Champions League qualifying game for Kalmar.  But, because it was a Champions League game he is eligible to turn out in the Europa League for us.  Long and short of it is, Elm can replace Kamara in our EL squad.

However, the deadline for registering the additional players was 1st Feb.  There's no way of telling if we've done this as UEFA are slow at updating the squad data on their website.  They probably won't alter it until the day of the Shakhtar game.  Here's hoping we remembered to fax UEFA!