watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Pubs for Friday - Brighton away

Started by tomcolemanfry, April 11, 2016, 10:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomcolemanfry

Coming down from Three Bridges and the train takes us through Lewes so will probably end up drinking there. Anyone doing the same thing? And if so, any recommendations on pubs?

Only one stop on the train then from Lewes to Falmer.

Lewes White

I live in Lewes, plenty of good friendly pubs, I will be in Brewers Arms, South Down pub of the year,
Out of Station turn right up the hill, left at the top by the lights, keep walking and you will come to the Brewers! lots of Fulham in there last year!

BrightonFFC1

I live in Brighton, my dad and brother and 14 of their friends are coming down, they want to go to old traditional pubs. Loads of nice pubs in the laines, the basketmakers arms, the Sussex arms, the good companions at seven dials are all good pubs!

copthornemike

One of my favourite away days.

Quite a few good and friendly pubs beside Lewes station, certainly worth a stop  - if the weather is dry you will see both sets of fans milling around outside.

I have always found a friendly atmosphere between Brighton and FFC fans at the pubs.

The only negatives:

The herberts who were in the private box above our away end last season at the ground.

The train queues afeter the match, although the southbound ones towards Brighton are the worst.

Shredhead

I did this thread last year with some recommendations: http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=44143.0
I heard thre were a lot of Fulham in the Lamb in Lewes (right out of Lewes station, up hill straight over traffic lights and on the right). The official away pub in Brighton is the Brighthelm, a Wetherspoons on West St (straight down to the sea coming out of Brighton station, on right 100 yards after clocktower). It was rammed last year.

I'll post on here if I can get any of the regular Fulham in Brighton and Sussex to agree on a meeting place.
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

Fulham 442

I am going down on the coach provided by the club leaving from Motspur Park at 3.30pm.  We will get there hours before kick off.  Who else is going on the coaches and does anyone have a plan for when we get there ie a nice local pub near the ground where we can have a drink and maybe something to eat?

Southdowns White

Basketmakers for me  www.basket-makers-brighton.co.uk great beer and if it gets crowded there is a much larger pub for the larger drinkers opposite, good food and not far from the station.

Shredhead

Quote from: Fulham 442 on April 11, 2016, 01:45:22 PM
I am going down on the coach provided by the club leaving from Motspur Park at 3.30pm.  We will get there hours before kick off.  Who else is going on the coaches and does anyone have a plan for when we get there ie a nice local pub near the ground where we can have a drink and maybe something to eat?
The ground is on the edge of Brighton. I just rang the nearest pub (the Swan in Falmer) and they told me that they will be letting away fans in. Or you could use your match tickets to get to Lewes or into Brighton where these a lot more choice.  The Albion do pride themselves on their catering and ale to run to get fans in early

Fulham 442

Thanks for that Shredhead.  Guess I will play it by ear as I don't  fancy going into the ground too early, I'm not really an ale/beer kind of gal so don't think I'll be tempted by the Albion delights on offer!!

Shredhead

Quote from: Fulham 442 on April 11, 2016, 04:06:57 PM
Thanks for that Shredhead.  Guess I will play it by ear as I don't  fancy going into the ground too early, I'm not really an ale/beer kind of gal so don't think I'll be tempted by the Albion delights on offer!!
if you want wine try http://www.tengreenbottles.com/ in Brighton about 10 minutes from the station or for food near thetstation Mange Tout in Trafalgar Street.

copthornemike

Might be a little busier than usual in Brighton with the Marathon being on the following day.

Burgf001

Quote from: copthornemike on April 11, 2016, 12:12:00 PM

Quite a few good and friendly pubs beside Lewes station, certainly worth a stop  - if the weather is dry you will see both sets of fans milling around outside.

I have always found a friendly atmosphere between Brighton and FFC fans at the pubs.

The only negatives:

The herberts who were in the private box above our away end last season at the ground.

The train queues afeter the match, although the southbound ones towards Brighton are the worst.

how bad are the train queues? I'm getting train back from Brighton.....

Dr Know

Quote from: copthornemike on April 11, 2016, 05:01:03 PM
Might be a little busier than usual in Brighton with the Marathon being on the following day.
The marathon is on the sunday and has nothing to do with the game being played on the friday.

Shredhead

Quote from: Burgf001 on April 11, 2016, 08:00:58 PM
Quote from: copthornemike on April 11, 2016, 12:12:00 PM

The only negatives:

how bad are the train queues? I'm getting train back from Brighton.....
I think you can be queuing for an hour. The club try to encourage people to stay behind to stagger the queues. Having said that, last time I got a lift from some Brighton ST holders and got home just 5 minutes before my normal arrival after a game at CC - the queues to get out the car park was horrendous. If theres a hroup of you it might be worth booking a taxi to pick you up. Local firm is 01273 747474.

Dodger53

Quote from: copthornemike on April 11, 2016, 05:01:03 PM
The marathon isn't until Sunday. The game is on Friday because the University has an open day on Saturday and Albion use their car parks for hospitality supporters.

Shredhead

:bump:
I've just arranged to meet my 10 year old daughter at the ground with her Brighton ST holder 'Auntie' which allows me to concentrate on where to drink beforehand.
As I've said before on this thread there are loads of great backstreet real ale pubs within walking distance of Brighton station. I'm going to recommend 3 because they offer a range of ales. 2 of them do food as well. You will find the Brighton based Fulham fans in certainly the second and third, as well as the official away pub, The Brighthelm.
The Evening Star, Surrey St (the right hand road of the 2 running away from the front of the station. The original Dark Star (superb Sussex brewery) pub. http://www.darkstarpubs.co.uk/eveningstar/
The Lord Nelson, Trafalgar Street (exit the station forecourt on the right hand side, then turn sharp left. Trafalgar St runs down under the road that leads into the station). A Harveys (centuries old Sussex family brewery) that does food. http://thelordnelsoninn.co.uk/
The Basketmakers Arms, Gloucester Road (go past the Lord Nelson down to Sydney St on right, then left at end of Sydney St). A Fullers pub that always has Gales ales on as well and serves food. Barmaid supports Fulham. http://www.basket-makers-brighton.co.uk/
Enjoy
COYW
049:gif

HillingdonFFC

Remember reading the corresponding threads last season and this as well and it really seems like we have a hell of a lot fans in the Brighton area.
Last season was up there with one of my best away days ever, missus and I went down friday and had a great day and night. Lads got in lunchtime saturday , girls went off shopping and we did about 10 pubs, cracking pubs around the station. Love Brighton, its like London on sea

Dodger53

We are having an early pasta next to Shoreham station (with wives ) and then time permitting a pint at the Basketmakers leaving them to have a pud!

Shredhead

Quote from: Dodger53 on April 13, 2016, 11:02:45 PM
We are having an early pasta next to Shoreham station (with wives ) and then time permitting a pint at the Basketmakers leaving them to have a pud!
Great. Probably see you in there.