watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham boss defends decision to ban juniors from first team lunch

Started by Friendsoffulham, April 12, 2016, 05:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Whites chief makes a string of small but important changes to training ground regime that include who goes where and when at knife-and-fork time

You and me: The great Bobby Robson at Fulham takes on the kids

Fulham players young and old used to pile into the Whites training ground canteen at the same time – not any more.

One of the small but significant changes exacted by Slavisa Jokanovic is to insist on separate sittings for lunch.

An insider likened the previous atmosphere inside the Motspur Park training eatery to a school dining hall.

But Jokanovic made it plain small changes like this add to up a far more professional set-up in the long run.

He said: "I believe things like this. It's very important to me people understand all my intentions, and the reasons for the change. Change for change sake is silly. We try to improve all the small details.

"Lots of people in the club corroborate these types of decisions.

"All my steps are steps with sense behind them, I believe."

The former Watford boss has stepped up the intensity of training as well, with many in White praising the difference that went with a 2-1 win over Cardiff, despite a set of indifferent results before that.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-defends-decision-ban-11172337

Domino 1879

I have it on good authority that Mark Hughes first introduced changes like this. 
Perhaps Felx reveresed that decision so they call share cheese together.

copthornemike

Nice picture of Bobby Robson with the youngsters - times certainly have changed.

cmg

Quote from: copthornemike on April 12, 2016, 05:25:51 PM
Nice fixture of Bobby Robson with the youngsters - times certainly have changed.

Sure have. We can provide our youngsters with full kit these days. And the canteen, in the background, has been refurbished since then.

ron

Quote from: cmg on April 12, 2016, 06:32:12 PM
Quote from: copthornemike on April 12, 2016, 05:25:51 PM
Nice fixture of Bobby Robson with the youngsters - times certainly have changed.

Sure have. We can provide our youngsters with full kit these days. And the canteen, in the background, has been refurbished since then.

....and there are more greens on the menu than just the mould on the pork pies as in that establishment....

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

domprague

Quick, get the photo down before some idiot from Operation Yewtree starts accusing Bobby of being a nonce.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Burt

Given how slow the shutter speeds were in those days, I have it on good authority that they had to pose like that for 3 minutes without blinking an eyelid  :dft011:

jarv

Isn't this the opposite of what Alex Ferguson did on his arrival at Old Trafford. Integrating the younger players so they would be more comfortable mixing with the seniors and preparing them for first team integration should that day come.

valdeingruo

I think it could be one of those subtle changes "I want to be in the first team" type things. Something to strive for in addition to first team football I suppose. Im sure they aren't entirely banned from eating around the Seniors, but different times?
Self proclaimed tactical genius, football manager approved.

http://imgur.com/a/A1mhi

ron

Quote from: Burt on April 13, 2016, 12:39:15 PM
Given how slow the shutter speeds were in those days, I have it on good authority that they had to pose like that for 3 minutes without blinking an eyelid  :dft011:

...A defensive technique practised by our back line to this day.....

MJG

"An insider likened the previous atmosphere inside the Motspur Park training eatery to a school dining hall"

This rings so true with me. I know a few of us were at a lunch when Magath was in charge and its not a big room and it was a mix of first team and 21's. I can understand why hes made a change. I don't believe its a situation of its them and us.

domprague

I think you are right.

Quote from: jarv on April 13, 2016, 01:17:56 PM
Isn't this the opposite of what Alex Ferguson did on his arrival at Old Trafford. Integrating the younger players so they would be more comfortable mixing with the seniors and preparing them for first team integration should that day come.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Shredhead

"Change for change sake is silly"
That makes sense (if you work somewhere where change is deemed necessary).
But after the Brighton result, something's gotta change.
What?
When?
Who?
('Why?' isn't needed)
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

love4ffc

Why can't you do both?  For the most part no youth allowed to make the first team training / dining experience serious.  Then have certain days were youth can be involved.  Something special for the kid to look forward too. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?