Started by Peabody, April 13, 2016, 08:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F(f)CUK

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 13, 2016, 08:30:15 PM
Quote from: Fulham Tup North on April 13, 2016, 06:59:36 PM
I was down the side,they had to give it up to us because
of how many we took there...
What a noise we made,me living just down road in Newmarket
made it extra special as a lot of my friends support Cambridge Utd.
So I ruled the roost at work the following week..

Definitely my favourite away game

My best away game that season was Carlisle United. I treated myself to a 'Director for a Day' package. It meant that we travelled up to Prestwick on the Friday, spent the afternoon at the Prestwick pitch training, the night with the lads, stayed up and had a few beers with Micky Adams & Alan Cork.  Next day after breakfast, I went with Corky to the ground to set out the players kit. 
(I even gave Super Micky Conroy's shirt a little kiss!!). Then back at the hotel, we got the coach to the ground and the home fans were throwing stones at the coach.  Sat in the 'Directors' box in amongst the Carlisle fans :(
One down at half time, we went on to win 2-1.  Fantastic day and the abuse shouted at Jimmy Hill was crazy, but he just smiled and waved at them.  And the journey home, when we stopped for Fish & Chips, made it a wonderful memory.  "Who stuck the ball in the Carlisle net?".  Not only do I know the answer, but I was sat next to Michael Knighton at the time.  He was not happy.  Fantastic memories :)
COYW
[/quote]

Great Time for you...And Kissing Super Mickeys Shirt...Coyw.
[/quote]

I imagine that most people saying Cambridge away did not go to Carlisle.  I did not go to Carlisle but my brother did.  He rang me from the train (?) on the way back and the celebrations behind him were like nothing I had heard before.  I was so jealous that I went to Mansfield which was a really drab affair.  I went to Cambridge and my biggest recollection was waiting for the team to come out and celebrate after the game, but it didn't happen.

FPT

Quote from: FPT on April 13, 2016, 12:11:41 PM
Quote from: Peabody on April 13, 2016, 11:51:49 AM
OK, in that 20 years, without looking it up, just by guessing, how many Managers/Coaches have we had?

I'd take a punt at maybe 13-15.

Excluding caretakers:

1) Micky Adams (1996-1997)
2) Ray Wilkins (1997-1998)
3) Kevin Keegan (1998-1999)
4) Paul Bracewell (1999-2000)
5) Jean Tigana (2000-2003)
6) Chris Coleman (2003-2007)
7) Lawrie Sanchez (2007-2008)
8) Roy Hodgson (2008-2010)
9) Mark Hughes (2010-2011)
10) Martin Jol (2011-2013)
11) Rene Meulensteen (2013-2014)
12) Felix Magath (2014-2014)
13) Kit Symons (2014-2015)
14) Slavisa Jokanovic (2015-present)

*Karl-Heinz Riedle and Roy Evans were caretakers in 1999.

20 years of Fulham "managers."

Peabody

Quote from: FPT on April 14, 2016, 03:28:52 PM
Quote from: FPT on April 13, 2016, 12:11:41 PM
Quote from: Peabody on April 13, 2016, 11:51:49 AM
OK, in that 20 years, without looking it up, just by guessing, how many Managers/Coaches have we had?

I'd take a punt at maybe 13-15.

Excluding caretakers:

1) Micky Adams (1996-1997)
2) Ray Wilkins (1997-1998)
3) Kevin Keegan (1998-1999)
4) Paul Bracewell (1999-2000)
5) Jean Tigana (2000-2003)
6) Chris Coleman (2003-2007)
7) Lawrie Sanchez (2007-2008)
8) Roy Hodgson (2008-2010)
9) Mark Hughes (2010-2011)
10) Martin Jol (2011-2013)
11) Rene Meulensteen (2013-2014)
12) Felix Magath (2014-2014)
13) Kit Symons (2014-2015)
14) Slavisa Jokanovic (2015-present)

*Karl-Heinz Riedle and Roy Evans were caretakers in 1999.

20 years of Fulham "managers."

You have forgotten Ian Branfoot who was in charge at the very beginning of 1996, Roy Evans was brought in as a mentor. So, including the three caretakers, we have had 18 managers since 1996.

FPT

My bad - but to be fair, the original post was about 20 years since Mickey Adams got started. I took "in that 20 years" as since Adams.

bog

20 years!!!! What a series of wonderful times.

092.gif

Peabody

Quote from: bog on April 14, 2016, 06:18:44 PM
20 years!!!! What a series of wonderful times.

Wasn't it just.

NogoodBoyo

I am very surprised to see Chris Coleman was our longest serving manager over that illustrious period.  I never rated him as a manager, but he must have done something right.  Chairman Mo didn't suffer fools gladly.
Nogood "apart from Jol I would say, isit" Boyo

snarks

Quote from: Logicalman on April 14, 2016, 12:43:38 PM
Quote from: snarks on April 14, 2016, 10:18:05 AM
A quick Google search reveals one quote from Ken Bates that MAF tried to buy Chelsea before Fulham, the quote is dated 2002.

Given Mr Bates history in football you can make of it what you will

Thats interesting, what is the source page itself?

I did find the story regarding the negotiations for us to groundshare at the Bridge, with MaF purchasing 9.9% stake in Chelsea Village PLC, that's pretty common knowledge, and that was 2002, could this be the source do you think? Here is the pertinant passage from that story:

The club were offered a permanent tenancy by the Chelsea chief executive Ken Bates a fortnight ago but rejected the proposed groundshare, which would have seen Fulham buy into Chelsea Village plc.
Bates and his Fulham counterpart, Mohamed Al Fayed, discussed the 9.9 per cent purchase – the highest proportion Premier League rules will allow – and the permanent share of Stamford Bridge a fortnight ago at a Harrods lunch. The £15m scheme would have included Fulham taking out a 25-year lease and having their own changing area, board room and commercial facilities.
Fayed has not ruled out a temporary arrangement in the near future should it be necessary.

But as for buying Chelsea outright, would have had to be back in the early 90's I would think following the Harrods takeover debacle whereby MaF was also in dispute with a Chelsea Shareholder, Ashraf Marwan, though it's been difficult to find anything that firms this up.

It's from the 9th edition of the book of football quotations by Phil Shaw. The whole thing reads:- "six months [after trying to buy Chelsea] he bought Fulham, having discovered he was a lifelong Fulham supporter" Bates on Mohamed Al Fayed buying control of Chelsea's neighbours, 2002

That's the only reference to it I've found.

Count Flapula

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 13, 2016, 10:19:43 AM
Quote from: Fulham76 on April 13, 2016, 09:20:15 AM
Micky Adams promotion season is still one of my favourites. I can still remember results from that season like they were yesterday but if you asked our result against Arsenal, man city etc from our last year in the premiership, I'd probably have to look it up.

I think my favourite game that season was the last of the season away at Cambridge. We took about 5,000 fans that day when the total crowd was about 7,500. Our fans were all down one side & behind the goal.

I was down the side,they had to give it up to us because
of how many we took there...
What a noise we made,me living just down road in Newmarket
made it extra special as a lot of my friends support Cambridge Utd.
So I ruled the roost at work the following week..

I remember that game, I was behind the goal. Cracking day.

I also remember the Brighton away game a few weeks before in their last season at the Goldstone Ground. We sold out the away end (I think, or they stopped any more away fans getting in) so we ended up going in the home end and spent ages laughing watching their fans froth at the mouth as the Fulham contingent sang "Sh*t fans, no ground". Happy days!

hovewhite

Quote from: filham on April 13, 2016, 12:22:16 PM
The real joy of that season was that, unlike this season, none of us really thought that we would do well. The previous season we had struggled and finished very low in the table. We had spent only £70,000 or so on new players and we were playing a funny system with a striker converted to a sweeper.
However it all came together and we headed the table for a lot of the season finishing in a good second place.

A tremendous achievement by manager Micky Adams, the remaining mystery is why he never had great success elsewhere.
think adams was managing at a level he was comfortable at with the right group of players ,and he had the lack of fear of the sack being his first main job as boss.but still love him for that year!