watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Twenty Years Ago

Started by Peabody, April 13, 2016, 08:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Micky Adams started the ball rolling that led to the Premiership and next year, it will be twenty years ago since Mo took us over.

RaySmith

Incredible to think it's been twenty years.

Things could have been a lot different in Fulham's history- we have a lot to be thankful for, and great supporters.

Fulham76

Micky Adams promotion season is still one of my favourites. I can still remember results from that season like they were yesterday but if you asked our result against Arsenal, man city etc from our last year in the premiership, I'd probably have to look it up.

I think my favourite game that season was the last of the season away at Cambridge. We took about 5,000 fans that day when the total crowd was about 7,500. Our fans were all down one side & behind the goal.

Fulham76

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on April 13, 2016, 09:32:58 AM
Quote from: Fulham76 on April 13, 2016, 09:20:15 AM
Micky Adams promotion season is still one of my favourites. I can still remember results from that season like they were yesterday but if you asked our result against Arsenal, man city etc from our last year in the premiership, I'd probably have to look it up.

I think my favourite game that season was the last of the season away at Cambridge. We took about 5,000 fans that day when the total crowd was about 7,500. Our fans were all down one side & behind the goal.

Can you remember the score at Cambridge ?

0-1 to us. Darren Freeman with the goal after about 20 mins

Mince n Tatties

I was down the side,they had to give it up to us because
of how many we took there...
What a noise we made,me living just down road in Newmarket
made it extra special as a lot of my friends support Cambridge Utd.
So I ruled the roost at work the following week..

alfie

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 13, 2016, 10:19:43 AM

Definitely my favourite away game
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

DukeTyrion

My second favourite promotion season, only topped by the 2000-01 season.

Fulham76

Quote from: DukeTyrion on April 13, 2016, 10:45:31 AM

My second favourite promotion season, only topped by the 2000-01 season.

Yeah, I think promotion under Tigana probably does just about edge it.

The Micky Adams season was the first bit of success I'd had as a Fulham fan though. We did get to the play offs 6-7 years before that but were hammered by Bristol Rovers.

ron

My Christmas present for 1996 was redundancy from my Airline shift work job which allowed me Saturdays off from then. What timing!, and what a state the Cottage was in then....when half the seats were broken in the Riverside stand, and the red warning tape fluttered from stakes which forbade anyone using large areas of the Putney terrace because the concrete steps had failed and were unstable. But the new spirit instilled by Mickey Adams was palpable.

The downside was that I didn't see regular wage packets for a while as I retrained to go teaching....but that was a small price to pay!

Peabody

OK, in that 20 years, without looking it up, just by guessing, how many Managers/Coaches have we had?

GorgeousGus

Unfortunately for us, Wigan won as well that day leaving us as runners-up - but it didn't spoil the day!

Icing on the cake was Martin Thomas coming on very near the end and raking Paul Raynor who had earlier spat on Simon Morgan - Physco's only contribution to the game and well worth the yellow card
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff."

FPT

Quote from: Peabody on April 13, 2016, 11:51:49 AM
OK, in that 20 years, without looking it up, just by guessing, how many Managers/Coaches have we had?

I'd take a punt at maybe 13-15.

filham

The real joy of that season was that, unlike this season, none of us really thought that we would do well. The previous season we had struggled and finished very low in the table. We had spent only £70,000 or so on new players and we were playing a funny system with a striker converted to a sweeper.
However it all came together and we headed the table for a lot of the season finishing in a good second place.

A tremendous achievement by manager Micky Adams, the remaining mystery is why he never had great success elsewhere.

Burt

Quote from: FPT on April 13, 2016, 12:11:41 PM

I'd take a punt at maybe 13-15.

About this... Excluding caretakers :)

snarks

Are you g
Are you going to count grant and gray from this season as managers? If so with the number alone since Mr Khan took over I'd say 17-20

Peabody

Mince n Tatties

The walk to the ground that day at Cambridge from
the centre was fantastic,just a mass throng of black n white
marching to the ground...Great Stuff.
20 years,where have they gone..

Buffalo76

The game at Carlisle is probably my favourite of the great season under Super Micky. The long long coach journey back just seemed to fly by!

Fulham Tup North

[/quote]

Definitely my favourite away game

[/quote] My best away game that season was Carlisle United. I treated myself to a 'Director for a Day' package. It meant that we travelled up to Prestwick on the Friday, spent the afternoon at the Prestwick pitch training, the night with the lads, stayed up and had a few beers with Micky Adams & Alan Cork.  Next day after breakfast, I went with Corky to the ground to set out the players kit. 
(I even gave Super Micky Conroy's shirt a little kiss!!). Then back at the hotel, we got the coach to the ground and the home fans were throwing stones at the coach.  Sat in the 'Directors' box in amongst the Carlisle fans :(
One down at half time, we went on to win 2-1.  Fantastic day and the abuse shouted at Jimmy Hill was crazy, but he just smiled and waved at them.  And the journey home, when we stopped for Fish & Chips, made it a wonderful memory.  "Who stuck the ball in the Carlisle net?".  Not only do I know the answer, but I was sat next to Michael Knighton at the time.  He was not happy.  Fantastic memories :)
COYW
"Whether you think you can or you think you can't,....you're right"

Vinnieffc

Quote from: ron on April 13, 2016, 11:06:34 AM
My Christmas present for 1996 was redundancy from my Airline shift work job which allowed me Saturdays off from then. What timing!, and what a state the Cottage was in then....when half the seats were broken in the Riverside stand, and the red warning tape fluttered from stakes which forbade anyone using large areas of the Putney terrace because the concrete steps had failed and were unstable. But the new spirit instilled by Mickey Adams was palpable.

The downside was that I didn't see regular wage packets for a while as I retrained to go teaching....but that was a small price to pay!

Who did you work for Ron ? I started with 4 years with LH at LHR, MUC and BER, then 15 years at QF LHR and 4 years at SR/LX. Great days..