Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (13.08.10)

Started by White Noise, August 12, 2010, 10:54:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Fulham set to pip Birmingham to £5m AZ Alkmaar striker Moussa Dembele

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 9:34 PM on 12th August 2010

Mark Hughes has stepped in with a £5million move for AZ Alkmaar striker Moussa Dembele after persuading him to join Fulham ahead of Birmingham.

Birmingham manager Alex McLeish admitted defeat yesterday as he revealed that Belgium striker Dembele had turned him down.

McLeish, whose bid for Juventus midfielder Mauro Camoranesi has also failed, said: 'Dembele has got other options and is choosing another one.
On his way to the Cottage: Moussa Dembele (left) is a target for Fulham
'His representative told me that. It is a blow because we have worked hard on that one — but that's life.'

West Ham had been linked with Dembele but Fulham have moved swiftly and he is expected to hold further talks with Hughes over the next 24 hours.

Hughes will also bring in Benfica defender Rafik Halliche, 23, today and has been offered Hibernian defender Sol Bamba.

Fulham were refused a work permit after agreeing a deal to sign Chelsea academy prospect Slobodan Rajkovic. Chelsea paid £3.8million for Rajkovic three years ago, a then world record for an under 18-year-old.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1302595/Fulham-set-pip-Birmingham-5m-AZ-Alkmaar-striker-Moussa-Dembele.html#ixzz0wQmvbSwq

White Noise

West Ham move for Miralem Sulejmani hit by red tape as Fulham denied chance to sign Chel**a starlet

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 8:43 PM on 12th August 2010

West Ham's attempts to sign Serb forward Miralem Sulejmani from Ajax have been thwarted after he was denied a work permit.

Young Chel**a central defender Slobodan Rajkovic, 21, was also denied a work permit after agreeing a deal to join Fulham.

Free agent Ricardo Rocha has been offered a chance to re-sign for Portsmouth so long as he takes a massive pay cut.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1302598/West-Ham-Sulejmani-hit-red-tape-Fulham-denied-chance-sign-Chelsea-starlet.html#ixzz0wQnQlOXz

White Noise

Want-away Mark Schwarzer pleads with Fulham boss Mark Hughes to let him join Arsenal

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 8:20 PM on 12th August 2010

Mark Schwarzer has pleaded with Fulham boss Mark Hughes to sell him to Arsenal.

'I need it to happen,' said the goalkeeper, 37. 'I've had a couple of chats with Mark (Hughes). It's delicately poised.

'Who wouldn't be keen to go to Arsenal? At this stage in my career it's an amazing opportunity to play at that level and one I want to take.'

Schwarzer insisted he would not go on strike to force a move.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1302575/Want-away-Mark-Schwarzer-pleads-Fulham-boss-Mark-Hughes-let-join-Arsenal.html#ixzz0wQnyH7yH

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6308654,00.html

Fulham line up Dembele

AZ striker emerges as target for Hughes

By Pete O'Rourke 

Last updated: 12th August 2010   

Skysports.com understands Fulham are now the favourites to win the chase to sign AZ Alkmaar striker Moussa Dembele.

Belgium international Dembele had been tipped to join Birmingham City in a £5million deal, with Alex McLeish having been confident of capturing the 23-year-old.

However, the Birmingham boss revealed earlier on Thursday that he had missed out on Dembele after the forward had 'chosen another option'.

West Bromwich Albion and West Ham United have also been linked with Dembele, but it is understood Fulham are set to land the lively frontman.

New Fulham boss Mark Hughes is looking to put his own stamp on the squad he has inherited at Craven Cottage from predecessor Roy Hodgson.

A striker is among Hughes' targets and any deal for Dembele who would help to share the goalscoring burden which was carried for much of last season by new England cap Bobby Zamora.

White Noise

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/08/12/martin-oneill-departure-exposes-frustrations-of-teams-outside-t/

Martin O'Neill Departure Exposes Frustrations of Teams Outside Top Four

12/8/2010 8:58 AM GMT

By Brian Glanville

Who will now take over from Martin O'Neill as manager of Aston Villa? His sudden resignation, only days before his team were due to play West Ham at home in their opening Premier League game, was a shock more in its timing than in occurrence. For quite a long time now, it has been known that the talented and well-educated Ulsterman had been at odds with the club's owner, the American plutocrat, Randy Lerner. But even a plutocrat, unless he has the vast resources of Chelsea's oligarch Roman Abramovich, or the Sheikh who now owns Manchester City, can go only so far; and Lerner is said to have spent no less than £180 million, with nothing concrete to show for it.

The trouble is that, in these desperate days, it simply hasn't been enough; which is why Villa, a year ago, were forced to sell their England midfielder, Gareth Barry, to super opulent Manchester City, and why they have now agreed to sell City another England player in that talented attacker, James Milner.

Things might have been a little better had Villa, at any recent time, managed to qualify for the Champions League but, alas, they have come nowhere near it, so that it and the huge funds it would have brought in have been no more than a distant mirage. Running faster and faster to stay in the same place.

O'Neill, once a talented and versatile midfielder for Northern Ireland and Nottingham Forest, under his mentor, Brian Clough, seemingly realised that - despite the large sums he has spent on new players and vastly less has been recouped for players sold elsewhere - he would continue to bang his head against a wall. Though the timing of his resignation has been highly debatable.

Who, then, will succeed him; or want to? Various names have been mentioned. It's been said that had he only resigned a little earlier, before Mark Hughes was appointed by Fulham, then Hughes would gladly have jumped at the job; that even now Villa might try to prise him expensively away from the London club. But would Hughes be any better off at Villa than at Craven Cottage; where expectations are far lower; and far less likely therefore to be frustrated as they're bound to be at Villa, whoever now takes over. For Villa, in the Premier League, seem condemned to be an eternal fifth place.

At long last the bemused and benighted Football Association, at a cost of a reported £5 million, have managed to get out of their hugely expensive and unsuitable headquarters in Soho Square, in the heart of the West End of London. A millstone round their neck, with several years to run, while they moved out to the relative wilderness of Wembley Stadium. Soho Square was the ludicrous choice of ex-chief executive Adam Crozier, who took the misbegotten decision to move there with no reference to the appropriate committee. Never mind. He went on from the FA to a hugely rewarded post at the Royal Mail, where bonuses seem to have no connection with achievement and after controversial years there, he is now, highly paid again, a senior executive of ITN television.

Speaking of highly paid failures, Fabio Capello remains manager of England, despite such abject disaster in the World Cup, for which he appears to blame his players, as a bad workman blames his tools. But the FA, who have recently lost two major sponsorships, could hardly afford to pay off his contract, at a cost of £18 million. At least he can now rely on the prowess of Wayne Rooney who, after an abysmal World Cup, vigorously returned to life for Manchester United in the Community Shield game. How Ironic!

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6308351,00.html

Fulham close on defender

Halliche close to Craven Cottage deal

Last updated: 12th August 2010   

Skysports.com understands new Fulham boss Mark Hughes is close to making Benfica defender Rafik Halliche his first signing at Craven Cottage.

Hughes is in the market for a new defender after losing Philippe Senderos to serious Achilles injury.

Halliche impressed during the World Cup with Algeria and he is keen on a move to England after an unhappy spell at Benfica.

The 23-year-old has spent the last two seasons on loan at Nacional and Benfica are ready to let him move on.

Halliche is believed to have rejected offers from several other clubs across Europe as he tries to secure a move to West London.

The player's agent, Ivan Modia, has confirmed a deal is close to being done to take Halliche to Craven Cottage.

"There is an agreement between the two clubs and Rafik will be assessed by Fulham in London," Modia told skysports.com.

"Hopefully we can sort out the situation early next week."

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/08/12/2067741/fulham-midfielder-zoltan-gera-plays-down-liverpool-link

Fulham midfielder Zoltan Gera plays down Liverpool link

Hungarian dismisses Reds rumours...

By Kevin Emery

12 Aug 2010 17:28:00

Fulham midfielder Zoltan Gera has played down rumours that he could be set for a move to Liverpool.

The Hungary captain has been linked with a switch to Anfield and a reunion with his old Fulham boss Roy Hodgson.

However, he told Sky Sports News: "I do not know anything about this.

"I was happy at Fulham with Roy, but he has moved on to Liverpool and I am still at Fulham.

"Mark Hughes is a very good manager, we have had some great training sessions.

"He wants a different Fulham, and I think the team will be capable of these new things."

Gera, who is also believed to be attracting interest from Werder Bremen, made 27 Premier League appearances for Fulham last season and played a key role as his side reached the Europa League final.

White Noise

Junior Membership

Thursday 12th August 2010

Fulham FC News

Become a Junior Member today and receive a number of fantastic benefits for just £10!

Fulham FC Junior Membership is exclusive for all fans under the age of 16 who get the opportunity to benefit from the cheapest tickets going at Craven Cottage alongside many more fantastic offers.

Not only will you receive exclusive £5 discounts on match day tickets for at least four B and C grade games*, discounted soccer courses, an exclusive Membership pack that includes a cool Billy the Badger stationery pack but you'll also receive a retail voucher worth £10 off your first in-store purchase of £50 or more. 

If this wasn't enough you could also have a chance to be invited to the Junior Members' Christmas party, which is hosted by the Manager and Players who will be there to meet and greet you!

If you have any questions about becoming a Fulham FC Junior Member, ask a parent or guardian to phone 0870 442 1221 for more information or check out www.fulhamfc.com/members|

Buy Junior Membership|

*subject to availability

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/JuniorMembership.aspx#ixzz0wQrnHfvq

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/port_vale/8909502.stm

Port Vale boss Micky Adams pleased with Fulham return  

Adams earned his first promotion as a manager with Fulham in 1997

Port Vale boss Micky Adams admits that he and his backroom staff are keenly awaiting their return to former club Fulham in the Carling Cup.

Adams began his managerial career at Craven Cottage in 1996 as player-boss.

His assistant manager Geoff Horsfield also enjoyed his best spell there, while head of youth Mark Grew had a month on loan at Fulham in 1985.

"It's a great draw. I was lucky enough to have a promotion with them," Adams told BBC Radio Stoke.

Fulham won promotion from the old Third Division in 1997 after Adams' only full season in charge.

But he may still feel that he has something to prove against a club who let him go so soon after Mohamed Al Fayed's takeover later that year, the new regime opting instead for Ray Wilkins.

"Obviously when Mr Fayed came in things altered slightly but it's a fantastic draw for the management team," added Adams.

"Geoff was a player there and had a lot of success and, from my point of view, it was where I started my managerial career."

Vale meet last season's Europa League finalists in the second round at the Cottage on 24 August (1945 BST).

White Noise

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/08/our_aims_for_new_season.php

Our Aims for New Season

Posted by Phil Mison 4 hours, 42 minutes ago

I prefer to leave score forecasting and tipping rounds to other Fulham forums, predictions have a horrible way of coming back to bite you. However, let me just say I am as optimistic about the new season as any since we were elevated to the Premiership.

There's been no panic rush into the transfer market - to be honest there's precious little value around - and Hughes seems largely contented with the excellent squad he has inherited. Mark I'm sure has the good sense to make things 'business as usual' at the Cottage. We are not easy to beat at home and only a modest uplift in our away form should see us comfortably attain mid-table. One or two quality additions to the squad would still be welcome, and hurry back from injury Andy J.

However, just for fun I am going to stick my neck out and say this IS the season we at last do something in one of the 2 domestic cup competitions. Well, if we can get to the final of the Europa League???

A big shout out and well done to all who are making the effort to get to Bolton on Sat. Let's make some NOISE because there really is only ONE Fulham FC!

White Noise

Fulham swoop for Birmingham target - Exclusive

Published 23:00 12/08/10

By James Nursey

Fulham hope to pip Birmingham to the £5million signing of AZ Alkmaar striker Moussa Dembele.

Brum boss Alex McLeish has been after the 23-year-old Belgium international for several weeks.

But McLeish has now conceded defeat saying: "Dembele has got other options and he is choosing another option.

"It is a blow because we have worked hard on that one - but that's life."

McLeish has also pulled out of a move for Italian international Mauro Camoranesi, who visited Birmingham earlier this week.

But the Scot has not given up his pursuit of Wigan winger Charles N'Zogbia.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Moussa-Dembele-will-snub-Birmingham-to-join-Fulham-article553533.html#ixzz0wQtJ7zcR

White Noise

http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=115662

Dutch to English translation

Dembele Announces Fulham transfer and medical inspection

Thursday, August 12, 2010 at 10:56 p.m.

After Moussa Dembele traded in London for four years Alkmaar. AZ striker is round with Fulham, the only medically inspected, late Thursday night to the Belgian newspaper Noordhollands know. It's not a real club, but that does not hurt Dembele. "I'm happy."

"I wanted to Topcompetition and I was looking for a stable club, where I have a good feeling," explained the striker from the newspaper. "A club I view gaming won. Of course, a real club good, but the chances of a basic place where smaller. And I am just 23, I still hope a few years the move to a real club to make. "

Dembele is not happy with the image that has arisen in recent days. "It was said that I no longer AZ wanted to play. That's not fair. It is not true. We had just decided that I was in the Europa League not be easy to do because I for another club not European would be allowed to play. That would so the chances of a transfer may be diminished. Therefore we said, not European games. But that's not only my choice was, but also of the club. Because the club had an interest in that I would be sold. So stories of work refusal are not justified.''

Birmingham City
Thursday looked like a transition from Dembele to Birmingham City have signed and sealed. The AZ striker saw at the last minute, however, that transfer. "Dembele has other options," he told Birmingham City manager Alex McLeish in the English press know. "He chooses a different club. His agent has told me that. It's a big disappointment because we had worked hard on this transfer. But such is life. "

Fulham claimed last week as new manager Mark Hughes. He followed the departed Roy Hodgson at Liverpool. Hughes has been told his new employer that he was a substantial transfer budget will be presented to include a new striker to add the selection. The Cottagers placed themselves last season for the UEFA European League, but was lost against Atletico Madrid. This season is no European football Fulham.

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/england/2010/08/12/2066914/top-10-ridiculously-overpriced-british-players-of-all-time

5) ANDY JOHNSON

Everton to Fulham - £10.5m (2008)

This author recalls watching Johnson playing local schoolboy football as a teenager, and would have choked if told he would command an eight-figure sum 15 years later. For a striker who had scored just 17 league goals in 61 games for Everton, and whose only real attribute seemed to be pace, this was a wildly overblown figure for a team like Fulham to pay. In two seasons at Craven Cottage, Johnson has scored just seven Premier League goals from 39 games, failing to hit the back of the net in an injury-hit 2009-10.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/12/chelsea-ramires-brazil-benfica-midfielder

Chelsea complete Ramires signing after successful tribunal appeal

• Brazil midfielder signs from Benfica for £18.2m

• West Ham fail in application for Miralem Sulejmani

(3)Tweet this (15)

Dominic Fifield guardian.co.uk, Thursday 12 August 2010 23.23 BST

Chelsea have been given the go-ahead to complete the £18.2m transfer of the Brazil midfielder Ramires from Benfica after the player was granted a work permit at a tribunal today.

The clearance came this afternoon after the Chelsea assistant manager, Ray Wilkins, and the club secretary, Dave Barnard, attended a hearing in London and argued their case for Ramires to receive a permit under the special circumstances clause, given that he has not played the required 75% of games for Brazil over the past two years.

The panel sanctioned the signing of the 23-year-old widely recognised as one of the most sought-after young talents in the game. The Brazilian is expected to arrive in London tomorrow to complete the paperwork, although he is unlikely to be considered for Saturday's visit of West Bromwich Albion to Stamford Bridge.

West Ham United will have to appeal after the Serbian forward Miralem Sulejmani, signed provisionally on loan from Ajax yesterday, saw his application rejected. The 21-year-old, who was not included in his country's squad for this summer's World Cup finals, had agreed a 12-month deal subject to being granted a work permit after spending two years at Ajax following a £13m move from Heerenveen.

Fulham were disappointed in their pursuit of the defender Slobodan Rajkovic, who spent three years with Chelsea on loan at PSV Eindhoven and FC Twente in Holland, and is now a free agent. Mark Hughes attended his hearing today but saw the 21-year-old's work permit application rejected, with an appeal likely to follow.

White Noise

Manchester United's Danny Welbeck seals loan spell with Sunderland

• Steve Bruce signs teenager but is still in hunt for another striker

• Bellamy and N'Zogbia out of Sunderland's price range

Tweet this (8)

Louise Taylor guardian.co.uk, Thursday 12 August 2010 23.03 BST

Danny Welbeck underwent a medical at Sunderland today ahead of a season-long loan with Steve Bruce's side. The 19-year-old Manchester United striker will join the Manchester City defender Nedum Onuoha, whom Bruce has also borrowed for a year at the Stadium of Light.

Although Welbeck is expected to be offered plenty of first-team opportunities alongside Darren Bent and Fraizer Campbell, Bruce plans to reinvest the £8m he received from Stoke for the sale of Kenwyne Jones on a new centre-forward and, possibly, another player.

Roque Santa Cruz is high on his list but the Manchester City striker is most likely to join his former manager, Mark Hughes, at Fulham.

Bruce would love to welcome City's Craig Bellamy and Wigan's Charles N'Zobgia to Wearside but acknowledged both deals look unlikely. N'Zogbia, a midfielder or left-winger, is expected to hand in a transfer request but Wigan are quoting £8m for the former Newcastle player.

"I can't see us getting N'Zogbia," Bruce, who managed the Frenchman at Wigan, said. "I would love to have him but I haven't got that sort of money."

On Bellamy, Sunderland's manager said: "I've been a big admirer of Craig for a long time. If he's available, which it looks like he is, I'd like to bring Craig to the club. Whether it's possible I'm not so sure."

Bruce has named Lee Cattermole as his team captain this season and Bolo Zenden as the club captain.

Middlesbrough are understood to be close to a £2.5m deal for the sale of Brad Jones, their 28-year-old Australia goalkeeper to Liverpool. Boro issued a statement on their website today denying a deal had been agreed but the clubs are understood to still be in negotiations.

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/aug/06/fulham-premier-league-preview

Premier League preview No9: Fulham

With much the same squad as last season, and without the distractions of the Europa League, Fulham should be aiming for the top half of the table

(3)Tweet this (19)Comments (95) 

Fulham will need to find cover for players such as the captain Danny Murphy, right, if they are to maintain last season's form. Photograph: Joe Giddens/Empics Sport

Guardian writers' prediciton: 9th (NB: this is not necessarily Paul's prediction, but the average of our writers' tips)

Last season's position: 12th

Odds to win the league: 750-1

"Some managers like to downplay expectations so that they can pat themselves on the back when they 'overachieve' – I've never operated like that. Wherever I've been I've always raised expectations because players and supporters have to know that the club can achieve things."

So said Mark Hughes this week when being unveiled as Fulham manager and audaciously announcing that he expected his team to finish in... the top half of the table. That's not exactly shooting for the stars when you consider that he has inherited pretty much the same side that came seventh two seasons ago and would likely have finished around that spot again last term, rather than 12th, had their thin squad not been sapped by Europa League exertions.

Yet, on the other hand, it is a bold target, since attaining it will require managing as well as Roy Hodgson did. Then again, the players could make that relatively easy – they are an assiduous bunch who enjoy the way they've been playing over the last couple of years so will be quite happy to continue in the same vein. But will Hughes let them? Certainly you imagine he will stick with the current, admirably solid defensive unit given how difficult he found forming one at Manchester City. Mark Schwarzer may yet be lured away from that by Arsenal but, though he proved to be a superb signing for free, he has not been so phenomenal as to be irreplaceable, especially given the generous transfer funds that Mohamed Al Fayed has agreed to make available to the new manager.

Fulham will seek to build on the progress made during the last two years and creep slightly closer, perhaps, to fulfilling the seemingly preposterous ambition that he declared he had for them when he took over in 1997 – becoming "the Manchester United of the south".

Those transfer funds will not, of course, be as extravagant as the ones that, you feel, became a bit of a burden to Hughes at City. It is more likely the manager will reactivate the contacts that put him on to the likes of Christopher Samba, Ryan Nelsen and Benni McCarthy when he was at Blackburn. That could only be a good thing for Fulham who, despite their generally accomplished displays over the last two years, do have scope for improvement and not only in terms of the depth of cover (notably for the centre-backs and Danny Murphy).

They could certainly, as Hughes has already highlighted, do with bolstering their strikeforce. Their top scorer Bobby Zamora, for all his fine play, only struck eight goals in the league last season and Fulham failed to find the net in 16 of their 38 matches, the second worst rate in the league. Andy Johnson could, in theory, overcome the injuries that have sabotaged his career over the last three years and regain his best form but the manager is unlikely to count on that happening and will surely bring in at least one other striker. Craig Bellamy would fit right into this team, provided he first deigned to squeeze into its unCity wage structure. Mind you, if he does move to Fulham, as has been suggested, it might be as an upgrade on Simon Davies rather than as a pure striker. Either way, chances are Hughes will also seek a Roque Santa Cruz-style big man, someone to get on the end of the crosses that Hughes, in one of his tweaks to the team, will likely insist Fulham deliver with even greater regularity. Fulham only scored four goals from headers in last season's Premier League – fewer than everyone but Birmingham – and you fancy their new manager will strive to push that figure up.

As he tries to embellish that figure and also plunder more away wins, it will be interesting to see how he uses Clint Dempsey and/or Zoltan Gera, neither of whom are classic Hughes centre-forwards nor conventional wingers. But they have been integral both to Fulham's solidity over the last two years – because they diligently drop back into midfield if required when the opposition have the ball – and to the attractiveness of the side, since having one or other of them flitting between the lines encouraged the interplay with the likes of Murphy, Damien Duff and so on. It might be a shame if Hughes turned Fulham into a more straightforward 4-4-2. But it might work.

On another note, what probably wouldn't work would be ordering the likes of Murphy, Brede Hangeland and Aaron Hughes to become, let's say, more robust in the challenge. Fulham may have incurred fewer cards than anyone else and conceded the joint-lowest number of penalties in the league last season but they were anything but pushovers under Hodgson. They pressed, harried and tackled intelligently. There is no need to get them barking and biting like the Blackburn side that finished bottom of the league's disciplinary table in all four seasons that Hughes was in charge, and to try to do so would probably be to antagonise some of the more cerebral players.

Hughes is smart himself. Hopefully smart enough to respect what his highly experienced predecessor left him and, given funds superior to what Hodgson had, build on that handy foundation. Tenth place is the very least Fulham should attain this season.

White Noise

Zam after more England caps

By PAT SHEEHAN

Published: Today

BOBBY ZAMORA finally won his first England cap - now he wants more.

The Fulham striker went desperately close to netting on his Three Lions debut after going on as a sub against Hungary.

And Zamora, 29, hopes he did enough to earn another call-up from Fabio Capello.

He said: "I was slightly unlucky not to get a goal, the keeper pulled off a couple of great saves.

"I was quite pleased with my debut though.

"I want to stay in the squad now, definitely. But we have some great strikers and it will be very tough.

"All I can do is score goals for Fulham. If I do that, hopefully, I'll be included."

Zamora hit 19 goals to help Fulham reach last season's Europa League final but missed out on a World Cup chance because of Achilles injury.

He added: "I was chuffed to have played against a lot of good players in the Europa run, that has given me some good experience.

"I didn't feel nervous at all walking out at Wembley. I didn't feel out of place, I've enjoyed training with the lads. It's been a good couple of days."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3093419/Zam-after-more-England-caps.html#ixzz0wShI5I1A

White Noise

Almunia expected to start league opener despite Schwarzer interest

Posted in Arsenal News | Written by Gooner Chris

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger will play Manuel Almunia in goal against Liverpool this Sunday, despite Mark Schwarzer's urgency to push through a move to the Emirates before the new-season begins.

The 37-year-old has been linked with a move to North London and former boss Roy Hodgson was ready to let him go until he himself left for Anfield.

Arsenal had bid £2 million for Schwarzer but at the time Fulham were holding out for twice that amount.

However, new boss Mark Hughes has told Schwarzer that he cannot leave Craven Cottage and the Australian looks set to formally ask Fulham for a transfer.

"I need it to happen, said Schwarzer, who believes it's his last chance to join a big club with his 38th birthday looming. I've had a couple of chats with Mark [Hughes]. It's delicately poised. Who wouldn't be keen to go to Arsenal? At this stage in my career it's an amazing opportunity to play at that level and one I really want to take."

"I have never sat out a game [to prove a point] and never would," Schwarzer said. "But it needs to be resolved sooner rather than later.

"I'm not sure whether I'll play [for Fulham] on the weekend. I've got a few little injury problems but we'll have to wait and see how I pull up when I return to London."

"It's taken a long time and the season's very close," he admitted. "On one hand you understand them not wanting to disrupt too many things but I want things resolved as quickly as possible."

"Only time will tell whether that happens or not."

Despite having one of the best clean sheet to games ratio in Arsenal's history - 66 from 161 games – most Gooners don't want to see him as the Gunners' no.1 'keeper this season.

How do you feel about Almunia playing on Sunday? Our latest poll suggests that signing a new goalie is vital if Arsenal are to challenge for major honours.

Read more: http://goonertalk.com/2010/08/12/almunia-expected-to-start-league-opener-despite-schwarzer-interest/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=almunia-expected-to-start-league-opener-despite-schwarzer-interest#ixzz0wSiEEelY

White Noise

http://northy.footballunited.com/2010/08/13/going-down-blackpool-bolton-west-ham-wigan-west-brom-newcastle-or-fulham/

Fulham:

Roy Hodgson has left behind some enormous boots for Mark Hughes to fill and this season will be a massive challenge for both club and manager. Players like Konchesky may look to jump ship now that Hodgson has left, but Hughes is a decent manager and, crucially, a big enough name to complete the package of decent wages and a London location that makes Fulham an attractive club for good players. Don't be surprised to see things go sour though; the jury is still out on Hughes and Al Fayed isn't as rich as he used to be. If the likes of Danny Murphy and Andy Johnson can be tempted away, Fulham could find themselves in a relegation scrap.
Key Man: Danny Murphy – Murphy is getting on a bit, but he's more than worthy of the captain's armband that he now wears. He's about as good as any mid-table club paying decent Premiership wages could hope to get, bringing experience, leadership, accurate passing, good shooting and fine set pieces to the table. After his quiet spell at Liverpool, he has become one of the league's most under-rated players.

Best realistic Finish: 9th Place

Worst realistic Finish: 18th Place

Read more: http://northy.footballunited.com/2010/08/13/going-down-blackpool-bolton-west-ham-wigan-west-brom-newcastle-or-fulham/#ixzz0wSieUu2r

White Noise

Celtic boss Neil Lennon hopeful over bid to lure Manchester City striker Craig Bellamy

By Mark Wilson

Last updated at 12:48 AM on 13th August 2010

Neil Lennon insisted Craig Bellamy's next destination will be decided by football rather than finance after revealing Celtic have opened talks over a loan move for the Welsh striker.

The Parkhead boss confirmed discussions had taken place with Manchester City and Bellamy in the hope of landing a marquee signing capable of igniting their SPL challenge.

City this week excluded the 31-year-old from their Europa League squad, providing further evidence that his fraught relationship with manager Roberto Mancini is reaching its end.

Bellamy earns in excess of £80,000 per week at Eastlands but is ready to take a significant wage cut in order to facilitate a move back to the club where he had a previous loan spell five years ago.

While remaining cautious of Celtic's chances, Lennon knows Bellamy's previous experience of the club is one of several aspects that could work in favour of the Parkhead outfit as they aim to complete an ambitious coup.

'Craig will have his options but he is one we would like to bring to the club, yes,' said Lennon, who also confirmed an enquiry had been made for Coventry goalkeeper Keiren Westwood.

'We've been making inroads into looking at trying to get Craig up here. Whether we can do that is another thing.
'There has been contact with Manchester City to find out the situation. He's out of their 25-man squad, so he would be looking to leave the club.
'I think the fact he has been here before could be our big selling point. He enjoyed his time here and he knows what the club's about. He also has a connection with the supporters and that experience might give us a head start.
'I'm not entirely hopeful, but I'm optimistic. If you don't ask, you don't get. 'The money isn't an issue for him. He is under contract and gets paid "X" amount and he deserves to get paid "X" amount whether he's playing there or going elsewhere.
'I'm sure he has made plenty of money but we don't even talk about that - we just talk about the football side of things. I think if he doesn't want to come, then it would be more for football than financial reasons.
'I don't think he would be allowed to go to another Premiership club on loan.'
Mark Hughes would love to be reunited with Bellamy at Fulham, while Sunderland and Tottenham are also keen on trying to persuade City to let him remain in England. Bellamy has already knocked back interest from German outfit Wolfsburg.
Lennon, who will be without striker Gary Hooper for three weeks because of a calf injury, declined to comment on Liam Lawrence after the Stoke player claimed this week to have given up waiting for a move to Parkhead.
But the Parkhead boss was more forthcoming on Westwood, who is out of contract at Coventry at the end of the season. Celtic are planning to increase an initial £500,000 approach next week.
'Westwood is one that interests us, amongst a host of goalkeepers,' said Lennon. 'We've made an enquiry and we're waiting on them coming back.'
Coventry boss Aidy Boothroyd was, however, scathing about the size of Celtic's first bid. 'They made an offer about three weeks ago and Keiren knows all about it,' said Boothroyd. 'It's £3.50 and a bag of haggis, which is nowhere near enough for a player of that quality.'
Lennon expects Scott Brown to be fit for tomorrow's trip to Inverness after missing Scotland duty with a heel complaint, but is waiting to assess the thigh injury picked up by Thomas Rogne when playing for Norway Under-21s.
Hooper picked up his knock in last week's friendly against Blackburn and Lennon had feared a longer lay-off for the £2million signing from Scunthorpe.
'It didn't look good at first, we thought he might have fractured a bone, ' said Lennon.
'The scan showed it's just a slight tear in the calf, but there was heavy bleeding under the muscle, so it will be two to three weeks anyway.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1302668/Celtic-boss-Neil-Lennon-hopeful-bid-lure-Manchester-City-striker-Craig-Bellamy.html#ixzz0wSjUewPs