watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham boss says he wants to stay 20 years at the Cottage

Started by Friendsoffulham, April 21, 2016, 09:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

Fulham boss says he wants to be like Manchester United and Arsenal legends - and stay 20 years at the Cottage

Whites head coach has desire to tenant the Cottage for the next two decades in the way Arsene Wenger and Sir Alex stayed with their clubs

Wish: Slavisa Jokanovic (main) wants to stay at Fulham as long as Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger at theirs

Slavisa Jokanovic sees himself as Fulham boss until he's 70.

But the man who became the fourth appointment in two years at a troubled Cottage in December probably knows in his heart of hearts he will be long gone before the 2036 season.

Indeed, Joka thinks football has seen the last of managers with longevity on their CVs.

As Arsene Wenger heads towards his 20 year as Arsenal boss in a bid to emulate the almost unreachable 26 years that saw Sir Alex Ferguson barnacled to the Manchester United regime – the Fulham man insists neither type of tenure will ever happen again, backed up the unpalatable statistic that every Championship manager bar one in the bottom half this season has been shown the door.

Jokanovic said: "We are working in professional football – and this part of the business we have to accept.

"We are in England, but we can also look to other parts of Europe as well for this type of thing.

"Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger? It's nice history but we are living a modern life and teams don't have the time to wait as much for success.

"I'm here, and I like to be here. In my mind, I'm staying here 20 years. In reality, I don't know what's going to happen – and I have to accept it."

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fulham-boss-says-wants-like-11214122

ron

Mince n Tatties

Most probably be gone before next season starts
then...lol

Bronaldinho

It's good that he says this.

We need stability and Jok has a decent CV. He's also still using other managers players, so this summer will be really key for his long-term aims at the club.

He gets the players he wants and is given time he can build something special.

We have a rich owner and we're free of embargo - That plus the fact that Jokanovic has been a success everywhere else when he's been given control, we can be optimistic.

But we need to stick with one manager for at least 2-3 years to really mould the club into his ideas and philosophies.  Too many changes over the last 2-3 years.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

hovewhite

Really would like him to be here in five years time ,but we all know how iimpatient,boards of directors and us fans are in general are.
I do think we need to support him as well as the team.

toshes mate

Quote from: Bronaldinho on April 21, 2016, 10:36:57 AM
It's good that he says this.

We need stability and Jok has a decent CV. He's also still using other managers players, so this summer will be really key for his long-term aims at the club.

He gets the players he wants and is given time he can build something special.

We have a rich owner and we're free of embargo - That plus the fact that Jokanovic has been a success everywhere else when he's been given control, we can be optimistic.

But we need to stick with one manager for at least 2-3 years to really mould the club into his ideas and philosophies.  Too many changes over the last 2-3 years.

I agree.  I also believe he'll benefit from having a realistic shot in the transfer market given that he seems to have a good idea of the types of players the club needs for the jobs in hand.   Up until now I cannot see anything he has done badly wrong, and it is only a lack of team confidence, player bad habits, and a lack of really experienced  battlers in the team line up (Scott Parker types for example) which made it impossible for him to achieve right from the start of his reign.   We can blame the board for bad appointments or failing to sack people quickly enough in the pat but it is the future that matters and we should all get behind the Club.  First let's cement safety and get a few wins under our belts to finish the season with.  Winning is never a bad habit.   

RaySmith

It will be good if he does stay beyond the end of next season, because  the club will only keep him if we are successful.

Lighthouse

Well good of him to say this. The Summer and the season that follows will go a long way in deciding how long he stays with us. But if the right offer came along he would be off in the same way as Fulham would sack him if he continues to disappoint.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Max Headroom

Jokanovic is a good manager. He knows what to say and when to say it. His public commentS have always been well received, which probably means the private ones are too.

We do need a manager to hang around a bit. He has made a positive difference to the team, even if the defensive weakness hasn't been fixed.

My one criticism of him is that he has not been consistent in his defensive selections, and an ever changing defence is never a good one.

I hope he is here for a while

Buffalo76

F(f)CUK

There are only two ways anyone would stay at a club for 20 years - the Dario Gradi approach or the Ferguson or Wenger approach. The former involves a club with little ambition sticking with a man who keeps the club afloat through bringing numerous juniors and the latter involves taking the club to the top of the league and regularly competing in the Champions League. Our owner is not ready for the former so let's hope that he does stay for 20 years.

The Swan

In 20 years time I will be 92, hope I am still going to watch Fulham play under Jokanovic.
The Swan

Artful Dodger

Good to see some commitment and hopefully it means he will have been successful....but not so successful he gets poached...maybe mid table in the Championship for 20 years!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Artful Dodger on April 21, 2016, 08:40:37 PM
Good to see some commitment and hopefully it means he will have been successful....but not so successful he gets poached...maybe mid table in the Championship for 20 years!
And there lies the problem for modern football!
Only about 3 clubs can realistically attract the best players, coaches, managers and keep them these days, unfortunately! Even though we have a enormously rich owner, he is not allowed to invest because of some ass decided to keep the big teams 'Big' and those below, always below!

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

filham

I like the sound of what he is saying but we all know that if he falters next season we will sack him and if he has huge success then he will be head hunted by bigger clubs.

love4ffc

One can never predict the future.  I for one em' glad he is saying he would like to be around for  years.  Is it unlikely?  Absolutely.  Still it's nice to hear Joka say it. 

If we stop and think about it all the ingredients are there for Joka to have a long tenure at FFC.  Joka has a great CV and has shown he can read the game and make changes when needed,  Joka has ambition and I'm sure would love to get FFC promoted and manage in the PL, and most importantly it seems he has the backing of a rich owner who contrary to belief has shown he will invest in the team and club. 

Who knows this is could be the start of something fantastic in Fulham's history. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

bigalffc

I can't wait for him to be able to buy in the players he needs/wants to fit his style of football, that plus keeping Ross, LVC and Cairney to build on then lots of stability will be great for us all. Back him Mr. Kahn. COYW
Instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet - Thomas Crum

clarkey

I think 20 games is an achievement at the Cottage under this group of the owner and middle managers.

It is obvious that the difference in club managers at this level is not great, significant but not huge as there are no fabulous managers in the Championship and everyday workhorses who are well organised like Steve Bruce or Hughton or McCarthy still get the results. So it is about margins, and FFC currently lose on the margins partly because of the lack of a full time on the ball chairman/owner and the negative effect of a useless director of Football who-if anyone got sacked-should surely be gone namely Rigg.