watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The 2016 Official Silly Summer Season Transfer Thread

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 04, 2016, 07:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterTheTabby

I know it is early in the silly transfer season, however, is anyone else just as nervous as I am due to our lack of movement in the transfer window as of late? I will admit that I have not been as invested this summer in the ongoings of the transfer market, and I may have missed some big moves by Fulham, but right now I am under the impression that we've done almost nothing except for the Madl deal.
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

BedsFFC

Quote from: maoconnor on June 19, 2016, 10:20:13 PM
I know it is early in the silly transfer season, however, is anyone else just as nervous as I am due to our lack of movement in the transfer window as of late? I will admit that I have not been as invested this summer in the ongoings of the transfer market, and I may have missed some big moves by Fulham, but right now I am under the impression that we've done almost nothing except for the Madl deal.
Think about it this way, a handful of teams have signed players from Fulham since the season finished. The one familiar theme to those players is that we didn't want them anymore (Hyndman doesn't count).
The fact we have not picked up a few players already is a blessing. There's about 72 days to go before the window closes. I'm quietly excited about this window.

AnEssexFan

I'm not worried about the lack of in coming players yet. I think this window has been sensible so far, sorting out which players will leave while agreeing deals with players we want to keep. While there are still questions over Pringle, Dembele and Smith I think SJ can't really be expected to go out and buy just yet. Say he has £10m for players and he spends lots of that on defenders only to find Smith and Dembele (and possibly Ross) leave then he'll have less money to replace these players.
As long as SJ brings in the right players then I'm happy to wait and see who we get.
@leightonrw07

westcliff white

WOuldnt say he owuld have less to replace them as surely any fee received for Ross would cover a couple of good strikers (15 million being the release clause apparently) and if Demebele goes to Arsenall thats another 4 million maybe more. So not too worried about that side of things.

I am though, like you, not overly worried as yet, a lot of players away on hoiliday, some atthe euros so patience is what is required.
Every day is a Fulham day

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: hovewhite on June 19, 2016, 09:37:47 PM
Shows the lack of quality CBs available,also they have to better than what we have and signing madl was a masterstroke by SJ also if  amore stays backed up by stearman(as he can only be better next season)  backed up by a new defensive midfielder and leader who controls the pace of games we should be better next season.Along with parker getting a run of games,leaves the width of the team to be addressed by SJ to go forward we need wide players so that Fredericks has some proper competition !

Why do you think any defence containing Amorebietta & Stearman is going to better this season??
Both played their part in one of the leakiest defences in England. Stearman I could just about tolerate but Amorebiettas performance against Brentford was borderline embarrassing, he was overlooked slightly only due to Jazz Richards being even worse.
Madl was flagged up by Tony Khans stats team so not sure SJ can take the credit for that. There has to be decent defenders out there, maybe look to Scandinavia, another Hangeland type would be great and a lot cheaper than some of the championship CBs we've been linked with.

MJG

Plenty of time, according to one Transfer website I have seen there have only been 20 incoming transfers to the 24 teams.

That includes signings like Madl and Sidwell and the 5 Huddersfield have signed.

Still early days for this window.

filham

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on June 20, 2016, 08:45:02 AM
Shows the lack of quality CBs available,also they have to better than what we have and signing madl was a masterstroke by SJ also if  amore stays backed up by stearman(as he can only be better next season)  backed up by a new defensive midfielder and leader who controls the pace of games we should be better next season.Along with parker getting a run of games,leaves the width of the team to be addressed by SJ to go forward we need wide players so that Fredericks has some proper competition !

Why do you think any defence containing Amorebietta & Stearman is going to better this season??
Both played their part in one of the leakiest defences in England. Stearman I could just about tolerate but Amorebiettas performance against Brentford was borderline embarrassing, he was overlooked slightly only due to Jazz Richards being even worse.
Madl was flagged up by Tony Khans stats team so not sure SJ can take the credit for that. There has to be decent defenders out there, maybe look to Scandinavia, another Hangeland type would be great and a lot cheaper than some of the championship CBs we've been linked with.

Fully agree, Stearman and Amore had lots of games last season and were a part of a failed back four.

A new, strong, big ugly Championship proven centre back has to be top of our " required  in list "

filham

Quote from: BedsFFC on June 19, 2016, 10:44:23 PM
Quote from: maoconnor on June 19, 2016, 10:20:13 PM
Think about it this way, a handful of teams have signed players from Fulham since the season finished. The one familiar theme to those players is that we didn't want them anymore (Hyndman doesn't count).
The fact we have not picked up a few players already is a blessing. There's about 72 days to go before the window closes. I'm quietly excited about this window.
About 46 days before the season starts, surely we should be trying to have all new players in and training with us in about  30 days time at the latest.
Unrealistic ,I know, but to target the window close date is most unwise and could see us bottom of the table at the beginning of September.

westcliff white

Quote from: filham on June 20, 2016, 12:56:23 PM

Fully agree, Stearman and Amore had lots of games last season and were a part of a failed back four.

A new, strong, big ugly Championship proven centre back has to be top of our " required  in list "
Stearman was exactly that, and a lot on this board were saying that when we signed him last season

Apprentice to the Maestro

Excuse me for being what some will regard as being a giddy or derange optimist but my assumption would be that those at the club would understand that it would be preferable to get players in early.

The trouble is that getting in a player is not like buying a packet of cornflakes from a supermarket or local 24/7. Currently the players are on holiday or possibly playing in some competition. Then when you get to speak with their club and the player they will want time to consider any offer. That will be complicated if any other clubs are also interested in that player when there will be bidding over the fee before that player and agent negotiate the contract. The selling club may then want to get in a replacement before committing to selling. And both the selling club and player may drag it out until the end of the transfer window to see if a better offer comes forward from some other club desperate because a planned deal fell through at the last moment.

That's just how the transfer window is for all clubs except possibly for a few of the richest who are only looking for one or two players and have the dosh to pay the asking price.

Dirk Lehmann

Quote from: Apprentice to the Maestro on June 20, 2016, 03:15:26 PM
Excuse me for being what some will regard as being a giddy or derange optimist but my assumption would be that those at the club would understand that it would be preferable to get players in early.

The trouble is that getting in a player is not like buying a packet of cornflakes from a supermarket or local 24/7. Currently the players are on holiday or possibly playing in some competition. Then when you get to speak with their club and the player they will want time to consider any offer. That will be complicated if any other clubs are also interested in that player when there will be bidding over the fee before that player and agent negotiate the contract. The selling club may then want to get in a replacement before committing to selling. And both the selling club and player may drag it out until the end of the transfer window to see if a better offer comes forward from some other club desperate because a planned deal fell through at the last moment.

That's just how the transfer window is for all clubs except possibly for a few of the richest who are only looking for one or two players and have the dosh to pay the asking price.

No, no, no, no, you're wrong, the process is just like Football Manager. You put in a bid, the player tells you how much they want and you confirm via email. The player flies in and joins training the following day.

@jolslover

Disagree, would much rather see a calm, composed CB come in who fits Jokas requirements of playing the ball out from the back than someone like Stearman who is technically limited. All teams that play effective possession football start with CBs who are competent on the ball
STH H3

filham

Quote from: @jolslover on June 20, 2016, 05:53:22 PM

Disagree, would much rather see a calm, composed CB come in who fits Jokas requirements of playing the ball out from the back than someone like Stearman who is technically limited. All teams that play effective possession football start with CBs who are competent on the ball
Yes, a calm composed centre back would be fine as long as he is strong, fast, good in the air, championship proven and a lot  better than Stearman.

westcliff white

Quote from: Statto on June 20, 2016, 07:33:15 PM
Quote from: Dirk Lehmann on June 20, 2016, 05:16:50 PM

No, no, no, no, you're wrong, the process is just like Football Manager. You put in a bid, the player tells you how much they want and you confirm via email. The player flies in and joins training the following day.

It's ironic. There are indeed a naive few on here who think the business of football is "like buying a packet a cornflakes" but there are plenty who seem to think it's a hyper-complex world of magic and rocket science that none of us could understand, which is equally naive.

By reliable accounts it's actually very similar to some of the latest computer games. Not rocket science.

Take the signing of Stearman for £2m on deadline day last year. We were reported to be in for him at the start of June. Now I'm sure Mackintosh loved spending the summer playing 'hardball' with Wolves' CEO like a character from 'Suits' but six games into the season we ended up with two centre backs who'd never played together. Ten games later the manager got sacked after yet another shambolic defensive performance. Quelle surprise. Pound to a penny Wolves weren't asking more than £3m in June/July. We should have just paid that or walked away and said we'll rely on Dan Burn until January.
problem is if you do say go over what you want to pay you may not have noeugh kitty for other targets.

My understanding ion the Stearman deal was we got him for what we offered in June, Wolves just were not sure they wanted to sell until late on as they wanted to see how their youngster got on (think his name was Bath).

Either way it is not so simplistic to do a deal but it also isn't rocket science as you say, agree a fee or walk away, then if you agree a fee discuss personal terms

Holders

It always amuses me to hear that this or that club is planning a "swoop" for a player. I picture the player in question standing innocently on a training pitch when this ruddy great bird flies down and whisks him off in its talons.

It gives the impression that if a club wants someone it just goes and gets him. Unless you're Man U or Real Madrid that's fantasy and there are many factors to reconcile  - the player, club and agent among them.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Quote from: Statto on June 20, 2016, 07:33:15 PM
Quote from: Dirk Lehmann on June 20, 2016, 05:16:50 PM

It's ironic. There are indeed a naive few on here who think the business of football is "like buying a packet a cornflakes" but there are plenty who seem to think it's a hyper-complex world of magic and rocket science that none of us could understand, which is equally naive.

By reliable accounts it's actually very similar to some of the latest computer games. Not rocket science.

Take the signing of Stearman for £2m on deadline day last year. We were reported to be in for him at the start of June. Now I'm sure Mackintosh loved spending the summer playing 'hardball' with Wolves' CEO like a character from 'Suits' but six games into the season we ended up with two centre backs who'd never played together. Ten games later the manager got sacked after yet another shambolic defensive performance. Quelle surprise. Pound to a penny Wolves weren't asking more than £3m in June/July. We should have just paid that or walked away and said we'll rely on Dan Burn until January.

Of course it is not rocket science but neither is it explained by your simplistic view that Mackintosh is 'playing hardball'.

Quote from: Holders on June 20, 2016, 07:44:17 PM
It always amuses me to hear that this or that club is planning a "swoop" for a player. I picture the player in question standing innocently on a training pitch when this ruddy great bird flies down and whisks him off in its talons.

It gives the impression that if a club wants someone it just goes and gets him. Unless you're Man U or Real Madrid that's fantasy and there are many factors to reconcile  - the player, club and agent among them.

. . .  and we should add the transfer budget.

@jolslover

Quote from: filham on June 20, 2016, 06:42:27 PM
Quote from: @jolslover on June 20, 2016, 05:53:22 PM

Yes, a calm composed centre back would be fine as long as he is strong, fast, good in the air, championship proven and a lot  better than Stearman.

Why does champ proven matter tho? Last window we signed "champ proven" players and look where it got us. Need to sign good players. Whether they have played in the champ is a bonus, but not a necessity
STH H3

Lighthouse

Millwall are interested in Fulham defender Shaun Hutchinson - who is being released by the Championship outfit.

Lions boss Neil Harris wants to bring in a centre-back with Mark Beevers rejecting the chance to stay when his deal runs out on July 1.

And the South London Press understands that Hutchinson, who impressed for Motherwell before joining Fulham, is on their list of signing targets
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope