watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The 2016 Official Silly Summer Season Transfer Thread

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 04, 2016, 07:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chesh

I know Wikipedia can be edited by anyone, but they have Button as a Fulham player already?!?

'Fulham[edit]
On the 15th July whilst in Germany for Brentford training camp, Button agreed a 4 year contract with Fulham.'
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Mince n Tatties

Button signed 4 year deal...
Is he better than Betts?
Mind you Talknonsense could have been looking at Wikipedia...

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Wearethewhites on July 15, 2016, 10:03:29 AM
Jokanovic rates Betts and he will be our No.1 this season, so don't hold out any hopes of an experienced goalkeeper coming in. Who ever does come in, will be playing fiddle to Betts, or pushing him, hence the reason we're going for a Button type keeper. Jokanovic just doesn't fancy Joronen as backup.

No way Buttons coming to be number 2, he turned down several contract offers at Brentford as he wanted away, thats why Brentford got the Southend keeper

Wearethewhites

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on July 15, 2016, 10:21:59 AM
Jokanovic rates Betts and he will be our No.1 this season, so don't hold out any hopes of an experienced goalkeeper coming in. Who ever does come in, will be playing fiddle to Betts, or pushing him, hence the reason we're going for a Button type keeper. Jokanovic just doesn't fancy Joronen as backup.

No way Buttons coming to be number 2, he turned down several contract offers at Brentford as he wanted away, thats why Brentford got the Southend keeper

Then whats the point in signing him? He's no better than Betts really, or not the McCarthy type keeper we all expected. Like I say, I've heard Jockanovic rates Betts, so it'll be intersting to see how this pans out. Like the Malone deal, it makes no sense.

Chutney

Quote from: Wearethewhites on July 15, 2016, 10:26:52 AM

Then whats the point in signing him? He's no better than Betts really, or not the McCarthy type keeper we all expected. Like I say, I've heard Jockanovic rates Betts, so it'll be intersting to see how this pans out. Like the Malone deal, it makes no sense.

We need a number 2, he'd be a good signing from that point of view, what if betts gets injured?
C O Y W

westcliff white

Bretford wanted Bentley way before now, tried to get him in last april
Every day is a Fulham day

FulhamStu

Suspect it will be like last season.  Betts as no1 but being pushed hard by a decent backup.  If Betts gets injured or loses form Button is more than capable.  Betts will hopefully continue to improve with every year and we are potentially saying we will stick with you as no1 providing you do continue that improvement, I have no issue with this, especially with a much better back 4.  We have now signed 3 defenders so those saying we are not improving in that area are really saying we have not bought in the right type of defender.  You don't get much bigger than Burn and that was not the answer so I think  Jokanovic is looking for players more comfortable on the ball athletic and quicker. 

Tooting legend

If true Button will come in to be 1st choice not 2nd choice. I personally don't have a lot of faith in how Betts commands his area, which is something that we do lack, I think Button ticks all the right boxes, so very happy if this is true.

Mince n Tatties

Hull in for Cardiff David Marshall.
Would have liked us go for him....

Twig

Chutney

Button will be #2. Like Lonergan last year, signed as cover. Its a good move as we now have cover if Bettinelli should he get injured.
C O Y W

Horsfield_No9

Quote from: Chutney on July 15, 2016, 12:24:03 PM
Button will be #2. Like Lonergan last year, signed as cover. Its a good move as we now have cover if Bettinelli should he get injured.

Don't see him signing to be a number 2. If he comes it will be because he's been told he's first choice.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

Chutney

Quote from: Horsfield_No9 on July 15, 2016, 12:29:26 PM

Don't see him signing to be a number 2. If he comes it will be because he's been told he's first choice.

I'm sure he's been told he will be competing for the first team spot, but 100% Betts will start the season ahead of him, joka is a big fan of betts!
C O Y W

Tooting legend

Totally agree if he's coming then its to be No1.......I reckon its another good move for us. If he was just gonna be No2 then we would have just kept Lonegran.

westcliff white

Someone said on a thread on here that Betts had been told he will be number 2 as they want an experienced keeper. For me we need someone who commands the area, but then these days that isn't what keepers do. modern keepers tend to stay in there 6 yard box a lot more and rely on reflexes and movement rather than coming and catching.

For me you need to be able to do both, Betts cannot right now, but Flowers was very good at both so hopefully he is showing Betts how to improve in this area.

If we want a short term experienced keeper how about Alex Maninger, on a free, quite solid good command of his box (or he used to not seen him for a while). One year deal and we can switch to Betts if we need too (that's of Betts really has been told and is going to be the number 2)

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: westcliff white on July 15, 2016, 10:45:24 AM

Yep and according to Brentford mate Button made noises about moving on last year hence their interest in Bentley, if hes coming its definitely as first choice keeper

westcliff white

Quote from: HillingdonFFC on July 15, 2016, 12:33:31 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on July 15, 2016, 10:45:24 AM

Yep and according to Brentford mate Button made noises about moving on last year hence their interest in Bentley, if hes coming its definitely as first choice keeper
Not debating that Hillingdon, just saying my local club rebuffed Brentford several times last year from Late Feb / Early March onwards. tried to get it done very early, before even QPR came in for him

westcliff white

Quote from: Chutney on July 15, 2016, 12:32:21 PM
Quote from: Horsfield_No9 on July 15, 2016, 12:29:26 PM

I'm sure he's been told he will be competing for the first team spot, but 100% Betts will start the season ahead of him, joka is a big fan of betts!
Not having a go, but how do you know Joka is a big fan of Betts? I don't know if he is or isn't, or if Betts has been told he will be number 2 as some have said on the board, just curious.

As long as Betts becomes commanding then he should be number 1 for sure, if he doesn't I think its open to debate. Last year he came back in because he and Lonners were much of a muchness but if we got a good experienced commanding keeper then I don't know if Betts would be number 1

PaulJ123

Wonder why we aren't going back for McCarthy?

Buttons ok, maybe a slight improvement on betts but would prefer McCarthy

westcliff white

my view as well Paul, if I were McCarthy's agent I would have contacted us to see if we were still interested given the fact we sold Lonners so obviously needed an experienced keeper to come in and compete with Betts