more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The 2016 Official Silly Summer Season Transfer Thread

Started by Friendsoffulham, May 04, 2016, 07:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oakeshott

Statto

Assume the lower of your figures and 12 years at that rate (21 to 32) - gross earnings £6m. After tax and NI barely £3m. After decent though not lavish annual expenditure, such a player, if prudent, might have savings of £2m to £2.5m at the end of their career.

Yes, such a player can retrain as a plumber or a scout, or anything else. But if it was me, and I had the opportunity to go from £500K a year to £1m a year or more, and thus increase my savings, making for more options beyond the ending of my playing days, I'd consider myself sensible rather than greedy.

How much one wants to earn is a matter of one's realistic opportunities and life plans/hopes - I don't see that greed comes into it.

Plus of course there may well be non money related considerations, most obviously playing for a better team and improving the chance of leaving the game with honours. Gerrard and our own JH are unusual in staying with one club for their entire UK football careers, and for the supporters of the respective clubs they are legends. But can there be any reasonable doubt that if either had been less loyal they'd probably have come out of the game with more medals than they achieved? I'd be surprised if Leicester players win another major honour staying put, but ambition in that direction is merely one of several possible considerations in deciding what one does, or doesn't, do.

GloucesterWhite

There are special pension rules for footballers. They can put most of their wages into a pension pot and can start taking a pension at a much lower age than the rest of us, reflecting their shorter career span. Of course some won't do this, but most have only a small proportion of their wages as spending money - still a lot of course but not the multi-millions that are their headline wages.

mkras99

Fulham are closing in on the signing of Brentford keeper David Button.

The Cottagers are in advanced talks with their Championship rivals as they haggle over a fee for the former Spurs shotstopper.

Brentford have put a £2million price tag, plus add ons, on Button, who is in the final 12 months of his contract at Griffin Park.

However, the two clubs are very close to striking an agreement for the 27-year-old.

Button has been a virtual ever present for Brentford since his move from Charlton in 2013, clocking up 141 appearances.

However, he has refused to sign the new deal on the table and looks poised to make the move up the Thames.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-news-live-liverpool-arsenal-8432268

westcliff white

Quote from: Twig on July 17, 2016, 08:53:25 AM
Quote from: Hoppus on July 15, 2016, 10:12:41 PM
Roumours on Twitter:

'Fulham getting a new signing in tomorrow, Mr Kahn is spending money I have been told £££'

Running out of time for this mystery weekend announcement.  Come on Khan, remove the digit!
FA not open at weekends so cant confirm a deal
Every day is a Fulham day

westcliff white

If Button is the rumoured weekend deal I will be disappointed, 2 reasons one McCarthy for me is a better option (although as all FFC players Button will get my 100% backing), two I was hoping for a blockbuster midfielder lol

Woolly Mammoth

If there is any truth in it, let's hope it's a strong quality Centre Half with height, otherwise we will be kippered at set pieces again and again and again.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

westcliff white

Agard a massive no for me

cheerupjimmyhill

Got to be honest not seen alot of the Brentford keeper. However if I am not wrong Brentford have had a consistently decent defensive record over the last few years and he has been their keeper so he must be of a decent championship standard

As much as I want new players I think this pre season is as much about joka managing and coaching the players that are already with us as whatever players we buy in.

On our rise up the divisions our best managers improved the players we had already both individually and in a team pattern as well as buying well when needed.

Personally  I'm feeling pretty optimistic at the moment as I feel that we have a hungry 'proper' manager for the first time in about 4 years. 

Northern Cottager

spikey norman

Brighton's local paper the Argus reporting that Rohan Ince may be part of a clearout of fring players by the Albion.
Is he worrh being given another chance with us?

DevonFFC

Quote from: ollienixs on July 15, 2016, 10:31:20 PM
Roumours on Twitter:

'Fulham getting a new signing in tomorrow, Mr Kahn is spending money I have been told £££'

I call bullsh1t. But by all means prove me wrong old chap

Good job I didn't hold my breath Hoppus. I wouldn't be here today to see this big money signing yet to unveiled

Lighthouse

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on July 18, 2016, 06:13:55 AM
I'm about to start a week's work experience with The Guardian's sport department, if I hear anything I'll let you guys know

The Guardian? Well if we hear anything we will let YOU know.

Seriously, hope you enjoy it. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

westcliff white

Quote from: ollienixs on July 18, 2016, 08:59:29 AM
Roumours on Twitter:

Good job I didn't hold my breath Hoppus. I wouldn't be here today to see this big money signing yet to unveiled
No transfers could be concluded over a weekend as the FA doesnt work, although I am still sceptical.

Wearethewhites

Quote from: westcliff white on July 18, 2016, 09:21:38 AM
Roumours on Twitter:

No transfers could be concluded over a weekend as the FA doesnt work, although I am still sceptical.

In general, Clubs can still deal, however, any paperwork won't be concluded until the following Monday.

westcliff white

Quote from: Wearethewhites on July 18, 2016, 09:33:49 AM
Quote from: westcliff white on July 18, 2016, 09:21:38 AM
Roumours on Twitter:

In general, Clubs can still deal, however, any paperwork won't be concluded until the following Monday.
100% agree, and FFC never announce until everything has been completed, so we would never find out over the weekend

spikey norman

Sun reporting that we are interested in Ipswich centre half Tommy Smith and that a deal for McDonald could be resurrected

Tooting legend

People saying deals can't be done over the weekend gorgeous arrival was accounced on the Sunday

Twig

I'm about to start a week's work experience with The Guardian's sport department, if I hear anything I'll let you guys know
Now that's a proper newspaper with a fine journalistic tradition, hope you enjoy the experience. Good luck.

alexmur

Quote from: spikey norman on July 18, 2016, 09:55:33 AM
Sun reporting that we are interested in Ipswich centre half Tommy Smith and that a deal for McDonald could be resurrected
the sun....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk