https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Good read

Started by MikeW, May 08, 2016, 09:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeW

"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Carborundum

Some flashes of insight, but I found it something of a gratuitous drive-by shooting of an article.

Exactly the same number of games get lost as won.  Championship is highly competitive and the standard of the football is high.  Every one of the twenty four places in the table ends up getting filled.

We all know stability breeds confidence and success.  We also know FFP rules out stability of playing staff for many clubs, including Blackburn and Fulham.  Different circumstances sometimes mean different leadership skills required.

Change the manager and three things can happen.  Get better, stay about the same or get worse.  It's a roll of the dice.  This journalist wants to rig the odds by claiming that staying the same is evidence of incomptence up top.

Changing the manager worked for Leicester, Watford, Rotherham, Leeds, Sunderland, West Ham and Sheffield Wednesday.  It's not that rare.

Football really isn't the only business where sub-optimal decisions get made.  Sometimes business is simply about making fewer of them than competitors.

So my overall reaction is to wonder if the journalist has ever actually had a go at running anything. 

bill taylors apprentice

Not a good read, sorry.

Rambling and nothing new.

I do agree with the idea that its not rocket science and stability and a proper structure are vital but the lack of good management from the owner down has always been an issue in football.

bobby01

The one thing I have never understood about football is the merry go round of managers with less than impressive records that get the sack and return with someone else. I do not know of this phenomena happening in any other business.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

Andy S

No but most business' s are not in the spot light so how would you?

Carborundum

Quote from: bobby01 on May 08, 2016, 11:00:21 AM
The one thing I have never understood about football is the merry go round of managers with less than impressive records that get the sack and return with someone else. I do not know of this phenomena happening in any other business.
In other businesses people's personal track records are generally much harder to track down with any certainty.

It often comes down to interviews.  Would you rather have the person who can talk about learning from mistakes, or the person who hasn't yet made those mistakes and may well be asking you to fund them?

jarv

I guess it has always been a bit of a lottery, bringing in someone new. As others say, not rocket science.

Bobby, it does happen in other businesses, all the time. Incompetent fools in charge  going from one company to another. Especially those part of the old boys network.

HatterDon

managers are like players

Theirs is always better than yours. If he hasn't managed a game for Fulham, he's the greatest ever. After the first loss, he's useless.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

WolverineFFC

I think his larger point, which is correct, was that many owners in the Championship don't seem to know anything about football... Duh.

As for our FFC, I am not certain whether Khan knows or not. To me, what happens with our current manager will tell me the truth about how optimistic or pessimistic I will be about the true future at Fulham.

Neil D

Quote from: WolverineFFC on May 08, 2016, 03:09:16 PM
I think his larger point, which is correct, was that many owners in the Championship don't seem to know anything about football... Duh.

Nobody expressed the truth of this better than Len Shackleton.  In his 1955 biography he had a chapter entitled: The average director's knowledge of football.  It was blank.

HatterDon

Quote from: Neil D on May 08, 2016, 05:31:53 PM
Quote from: WolverineFFC on May 08, 2016, 03:09:16 PM

Nobody expressed the truth of this better than Len Shackleton.  In his 1955 biography he had a chapter entitled: The average director's knowledge of football.  It was blank.

classic
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Holders

Quote from: jarv on May 08, 2016, 11:32:28 AM
I guess it has always been a bit of a lottery, bringing in someone new. As others say, not rocket science.

Bobby, it does happen in other businesses, all the time. Incompetent fools in charge  going from one company to another. Especially those part of the old boys network.

100%. I worked for one of them.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria