watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thanks for the goals but we must change our ways

Started by millsy, May 08, 2016, 03:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

millsy

I know it was only Bolton but 3 things stood out for me yesterday, amidst the usual fare offered by our below average team.

Firstly, we look much better with a proper ball-player in the middle, whether Cairney or Hyndman, who I thought both used the ball intelligently and were always looking for a forward pass. We simply can't keep playing any two of Parker, Ince, Tunnicliffe or O'Hara in centre midfield and hope to control the ball.

Secondly, despite his valuable goals this season, Moussa's inability to control the ball and therefore hold up play for others to get forward around him has, I think, been underestimated. So often I've watched us struggle to gain possession, only for our out ball to Moussa to bounce off his shin, calf, boot etc. back into the welcome clutches of the oppo. Next season we need someone who can trap or lay off the ball a la Zamora.

Lastly (promise) we look a much better unit when we play the ball out from the back, rather than the usual hoof upfield, from both keeper and defenders. As recently as Brentford, with only Ross up front, Marcus was thumping fly and goal kicks up into the sky, aided and abetted by Amor. We don't even win any of those with Moussa alongside, so why we employ this tactic defeats me. Much better yesterday and I think Burn, Ream, Stearman and Madl are all capable of bringing the ball out and should be trusted to do so.

Anyway, probably all moot points now, as it's going to be all change on the personnel front. Can't wait to see some fresh talent and better tactics well executed. Well we can dream.

filham

Yes , I agree it is good to see a ball player like Cairney or Hyndman in a forward mid field position as playmaker but remember that cluster of three wins and a draw which gave us safety were achieved by playing it ugly. In those games the midfield was dominated by Parker, Ince and Tunniccliffe, the most physically strong players we were able to call on.

millsy

Fair point and I really believe Scott's performances second half of this season have been magnificent. He now has only so much to give but no one can deny that he gave it all. Whatever he does next, I'll always remember his swashbuckling contributions. Thanks super Scott!

Nevertheless, I think you'll agree we need to progress next season and to do so we desperately need someone who can dictate the play and stay the pace. Maybe too soon for Emerson and he may be lost to us anyway but I hope our coach can find that man.

hovewhite

SUPER SCOTTY PARKER has been for SJ magnificent and for us supporters also,cairney looks the best of all last seasons stat based imports to Fulham having watched them all and think he will only get better.
Emerson hopefully will stay as well as think he could be special the boy!

kiwian

The most positive part (apart from the clean sheet) was Bettinelli's much quicker distribution, often a short throw to a defender or finder players out on the wings with some of his kicks, certainly kept the game moving.
Is a dream a lie if it don't come true?

MJG

Was I missing something but the midfield was Tunnicliffe and Parker in the middle all game.
Hyndman/LVC and Cairney both wide but with freedom to roam

Chutney

Hoping to see LVC in the middle again next season, he could be a brilliant player, always being played out of position currently!
C O Y W

millsy

Not sure how they lined up but I certainly felt Cairney was controlling play down the middle and causing them all sorts of problems. Equally, thought Hyndman spent much of his time showing for the ball in mostly central areas. As always, Scott was all over the park and while I'm sure Tunnicliffe was designated midfield ball-winner in chief, I thought the game largely passed him by and he was just picking up scraps wherever he could, while TC was the conduit for our forward movement.

Unfortunately, once Fred went off we lost our attacking width and it was often Ross who was drifting out to find space.

Maybe my impressions aren't accurate. Will have to watch the 90 mins replay, which will probably bear no resemblance to what I think I saw live on Saturday.