watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Article On Wesley Foderingham

Started by White Noise, February 03, 2010, 10:57:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/02/03/on-the-bench-wes-foderingham-a-keeper-for-the-future-at-fulham/

On the Bench: Wes Foderingham, a Keeper for the Future at Fulham

03/2/2010 5:11 AM GMT

By John Wardle

John Wardle

Fulham fans are already convinced they have unearthed a future star in goalkeeper Wesley Foderingham.

Praise for the teenager from Shepherd's Bush are not difficult to locate on message boards about the club.

Supporters who have watched Foderingham in the reserves and youth team are in agreement that he is an exciting talent.

One even declared:"Wes could be the best thing to come out of English goalkeeping in years."

And the chances of Foderingham, 19, fulfilling that prophecy can only be enhanced by his level-headed view on the future.

Football is littered with stories of talented teenagers who faded from view because they believed they had made the grade when they signed their first professional contract.

For 6ft 1in tall Foderingham, it is only the first step on a long road towards the Premier League.
He told Fulham's official website:"There's still a lot more I need to work on, but I'm learning and developing all of the time.

"I feel that young players will always be given a chance at this club, and hopefully I can make a name for myself here, but that is going to be tough. I know that."

Fulham coaches have tracked his progress carefully since he joined their Academy at the age of nine nearly a decade ago.

And Foderingham has already impressed men who matter in the English game, earning international call-ups at under-17 level for the World Cup in South Korea and European Championships in Israel.

If it imposes extra pressure on the keeper, he is handing it well. "A lot has been said about me as a player," he says.

"I suppose there has been a fair bit of pressure, but the way I look at it, a person can deal with that pressure one of two ways - they can crumble, or they can thrive on it.

"If people expect a lot from me, I look at that as a positive thing – a sign that I have ability. But it's up to me to reach that required level and perform to my highest capabilities."

Foderingham is now training regularly with the first team and we understand he is thriving on the challenge presented by Bobby Zamora, Andrew Johnson and Erik Nevland.

Current first choice Mark Schwarzer is among those impressed by the approach of a youngster who is agile, commands his area well and has a reputation a shot-stopper.

Now we wait to discover how long it will be before Foderingham is ready to prove Schwarzer is a good judge and starts to challenge him for a first-team place.

NickW

We certainly have some good young goalkeepers coming through. As well as Foderingham, we also have Neil Etheridge, who has impressed me whenever I have seen him. He's already been capped by the Philippines. Marcus Bettinelli also seems to be a good prospect. David Stockdale too is improving all the time.

We are also lucky to have Schwarzer and Zuberbuhler - as a young goalkeeper, you could learn so much from these two. Our youth team is starting to look decent for one. Let's hope that some of them can make it at this level.

BestOfBrede

Hmmm - ManUre been on the phone as yet??

Should keep this under wraps - could start a bidding war!!

Jimpav

Anybody seen this guy play? Does he get many games for the reserves?

finnster01

Wes Foderingham - Love the name for a goal keeper, has quite a bit of Billy The Fish about it hasn't it?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on February 03, 2010, 02:08:39 PM
Wes Foderingham - Love the name for a goal keeper, has quite a bit of Billy The Fish about it hasn't it?

The first time I saw this guy's name I thought he'd be perfect as General Flashman's subaltern. Wesley Foderingham -- can't get much more English than that.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

White Noise

I have seen him play and he is very agile and commands his area well. He looks the full bit but Etheridge and Bettinelli look first class too.

I am really intrigued to see what the combined influence of Mike Kelly, Schwarzer and Zuberbuhler can have on the three lads above and Stockdale.

Jimpav

Quote from: White Noise on February 04, 2010, 09:26:08 PM
I have seen him play and he is very agile and commands his area well. He looks the full bit but Etheridge and Bettinelli look first class too.

I am really intrigued to see what the combined influence of Mike Kelly, Schwarzer and Zuberbuhler can have on the three lads above and Stockdale.

That's great to hear White Noise.

Schwarzer truly bosses his area compared to some of the keepers I have seen. I sit near the front of H6 and was shocked at how vocal he is.

Our young keepers are spoilt with so many great influences.