watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Our defending this season - just gone

Started by Wearethewhites, May 15, 2016, 02:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wearethewhites

Having watched the majority of the Playoffs so far, the one thing I have been impressed with, is the defending from most teams. Just watched Bradford v Millwall, and although Millwall did the damage in the first half, Bradford threw the kitchen sink at Millwall 2nd half, and they never conceded. As a unit, they defended in numbers, were well organised, and their keeper commanded well by catching crosses, arranging walls, distributing balls, and so on.

Bearing in mind Millwall are a League 1 side, were relegated last season from the Champ, have rebuilt, made the playoffs, and really does put in to perspective how poor our defence has been.

Was also impressed by some of the defending from AFC Wimbledon and Accrington yesterday, and they're in League 2.

bill taylors apprentice

I remember the first home game of last season against Millwall and thought that while they were a poor team quality wise but how well drilled and dedicated to the tactics they were.

This has been the case most weeks ever since from the opposition but rarely for us!

Fulham76

I think the goalkeeper position is one of the main reasons our defence had been so poor.

None of our keepers command the area, which is why we concede so many from corners/set plays etc & how many goals did we concede from long range efforts outside the area? I can think of a quite a few.

A better goalkeeper should definitely be on our shopping list this summer.

Wearethewhites

Quote from: Fulham76 on May 15, 2016, 05:50:11 PM
I think the goalkeeper position is one of the main reasons our defence had been so poor.

None of our keepers command the area, which is why we concede so many from corners/set plays etc & how many goals did we concede from long range efforts outside the area? I can think of a quite a few.

It should, but most believe Betts is ready already, and I don't believe he is. Good prospect, but if we're making any serious assault on promotion, then a more experienced keeper is required.

filham

Three complete season's of bad defending from Fulham and the big question is can Jocanovic change things, no sign of it yet.

Wearethewhites

Quote from: filham on May 15, 2016, 06:21:43 PM
Three complete season's of bad defending from Fulham and the big question is can Jocanovic change things, no sign of it yet.

He won't change anything with this crop of players, so I don't see why people are blaming him for no improvements. Yes, I agree that a good coach should and can improve what's around him, but I honestly believe our situation is different and goes a lot deeper. He's done what was asked of him this season, I believe we'd have been relegated under Kit, let's see what he changes player wise for next season. I believe we will see a much better calibre of player at FFC.

toshes mate

I think the goalkeeper position is one of the main reasons our defence had been so poor.  A better goalkeeper should definitely be on our shopping list this summer.

Football is about how players mesh together as a team.  When you switch defenders as often as Fulham did in the season just ended (and previous season too) then confidence from keeper to defenders will be low as well as the reverse.  Betts had a long injury spell and coming back to a relegation threatened team is never easy, particularly one that let in more goals in the Championship bar Charlton and Bolton.   I hope we don't have these spot criticisms of players who may have perfromed very differently had the dice fallen a little differently in terms of results.   I sure the Boss is well aware of what he needs to do to get the whole defence right, plus the midfield (which has serious problems too despite the talent), and probably some back up in attack too.   Ross cannot do it all on his own.

I note how badly Derby performed in conceding three goals to demonstrate how the semi-final play offs are not standard league fare and need a different approach from the team.  I am sure whoever gets up from Division One will be a different team come day one of 2016/17.   

hovewhite

SJ needs to find a settled defence from the off and trust them to do the job.The defence needs a defensive midfielder in front of it backer up by the rest of the team to track back as a unit.
Had a interesting chat with someone close to Chris Houghton earlier today who said ince won't be going to Fulham as the  loan was by rigg not SJ and Sj is is own man and tells rigg who he wants and said there is a power battle happening between the two of them right now.
It should be an interesting summer at the cottage!

Wearethewhites

Quote from: hovewhite on May 15, 2016, 08:00:18 PM
SJ needs to find a settled defence from the off and trust them to do the job.The defence needs a defensive midfielder in front of it backer up by the rest of the team to track back as a unit.
Had a interesting chat with someone close to Chris Houghton earlier today who said ince won't be going to Fulham as the  loan was by rigg not SJ and Sj is is own man and tells rigg who he wants and said there is a power battle happening between the two of them right now.

I'll be suprised if Rigg is still in a job come the summer. SJ had Kline expelled from the training ground for sticking his nose in to much, and the last I heard, is that Rigg was relaxed from all negotiations after messing up 2 of SJ's targets (hence Ince). As far as I'm aware, this is still the current situation, but who knows.

J

Quote from: Wearethewhites on May 15, 2016, 06:10:23 PM

It should, but most believe Betts is ready already, and I don't believe he is. Good prospect, but if we're making any serious assault on promotion, then a more experienced keeper is required.

I like Betts but he isn't the finished article. If it wasn't for the injury I think he would have kicked on this season, but you are right, a keeper who can command the box would help.

I think we should sign an older experienced keeper )with maybe 2 good seasons left) who has that aspect of his game sorted and have him as the main competition for Betts. Hopefully that will mean Betts will learn that aspect and we will have a great welll rounded keeper in a couple of years

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: Wearethewhites on May 15, 2016, 08:52:22 PM

I'll be suprised if Rigg is still in a job come the summer. SJ had Kline expelled from the training ground for sticking his nose in to much, and the last I heard, is that Rigg was relaxed from all negotiations after messing up 2 of SJ's targets (hence Ince). As far as I'm aware, this is still the current situation, but who knows.
[/b]
I think we all know Rigg thinks he's Billy big bollocks and he won't want to just become a facilitator i.e. help all concerned from academy to first team achieve their objectives without having a major say in who we  sign, just help bring about the out come.
So interesting times ahead!