watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Stekelenburg

Started by Wearethewhites, May 16, 2016, 10:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wearethewhites

Now if Slavisa talked Stekelenburg into playing 1 season in the Championship, bit like Gomes at Watford, would you accept this as and experienced addition between the sticks?

It's very likely that he'll be coming back to Fulham, and if Slavisa feels the need to strengthen in that area, do we already have the candidate?

I'm one of those who feels that Betts is a great prospect, but just don't feel he's ready yet, and if we are to be challenging for a top six place, and experienced keeper is required.

You've got the likes of McCarthy and others hanging around at Clubs but a full fit Stekelenburg surely can't be overlooked?

domprague

Isn't his contract due to run out? He's another good shot stopper but doesn't command the area.
You came all this way ... and you lost, and you lost.

Wearethewhites

Quote from: domprague on May 16, 2016, 10:28:05 PM
Isn't his contract due to run out? He's another good shot stopper but doesn't command the area.

1 year left I believe

@jolslover

Quote from: Wearethewhites on May 16, 2016, 10:15:35 PM
Now if Slavisa talked Stekelenburg into playing 1 season in the Championship, bit like Gomes at Watford, would you accept this as and experienced addition between the sticks?

It's very likely that he'll be coming back to Fulham, and if Slavisa feels the need to strengthen in that area, do we already have the candidate?

I'm one of those who feels that Betts is a great prospect, but just don't feel he's ready yet, and if we are to be challenging for a top six place, and experienced keeper is required.

You've got the likes of McCarthy and others hanging around at Clubs but a full fit Stekelenburg surely can't be overlooked?

Good post. I would accept this. Stek is > Betts in all honesty and would be a prem level GK in the champ.
STH H3

Forever Fulham

On corners where the ball is floating 7 feet in the air in the box and curving down, say, 4 yards out from the goal, will he rush out into the scrum and redirect it away?  Or will he stay put and content himself to block any shot coming at goal?  I like the guy, but is he a complete player.  I mean, can he command the space in front of him during chaos? 

PokerMatt

I think he's an upgrade on Betts, but only slightly. My complaint with stek is that again he isn't a commanding presence and leaves too much up to his defenders. That's the type of keeper we need, so I think we should let him go.
Follow me: @mattdjourno

F(f)CUK

Get rid of him and use his salary on all the other people that we are in desperate need for.

Skatzoffc

It's a no from me.
For the reasons stated above, i.e. too similar a problem to what we have.
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

westcliff white

Replacing the keeper is down on the list for mew, so Stek if he wanted too would be a viable option, he may not come for crosses all the time, however Does De Gea come through a crowd to get the ball from corners? Does Neuer? no its just the modern way, not that Stek is in the league of those two for sure but modern keepers just don't do what the likes of Stannard and keepers of that ear did.

I would say that we need a keeper to command the box by talking which is something we have lacked a lot of, but running through corwds is a thing of the past. Coming for crosses in an open box thats a different matter
Every day is a Fulham day

bill taylors apprentice

Would he be much  better than what we have and be a big character in the team (which we need) I think not.

He obviously has ability or he wouldn't have got to the level he's at but for those who have seen him play for us, just stop and think about those performances for a moment.

And for those who haven't seen him in a Fulham jersey let me tell you he's a great shot stopper but not only does he not command his area but IMO he's mentally as well as physically fragile.

Oh! and then there's his £70,000 (i think) a week salary!

BalDrick

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 17, 2016, 03:46:31 AM
Stek is made of glass.
Agree with this.

Quote from: F(f)CUK on May 17, 2016, 07:07:11 AM
Get rid of him and use his salary on all the other people that we are in desperate need for.
And this.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

BalDrick

Quote from: BalDrick on May 17, 2016, 11:25:45 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on May 17, 2016, 03:46:31 AM
Stek is made of glass.
Agree with this.

Quote from: F(f)CUK on May 17, 2016, 07:07:11 AM
And this.
And I doubt he would drop to the Championship anyway. Any luck, Saints can carry on paying his wages, or however much they are paying at the moment. Might depend on their manager not upping sticks to Everton though. Who also have a #2 keeper vacancy actually.

westcliff white

I think Everton also have a number 1 vacancy Robles isnt exactly good

BalDrick

Quote from: westcliff white on May 17, 2016, 11:31:25 AM
I think Everton also have a number 1 vacancy Robles isnt exactly good
Yep, that's true.

They've become quite a lot richer recently so I do expect them to be spending a bit, once they've got a new manager in place anyway (must be going to be Benitez surely?).

westcliff white

Benitez is apparently going to stay at Newcastle or so the rumours go

BalDrick

Quote from: westcliff white on May 17, 2016, 11:52:15 AM
Be absolutely amazed if that happens. Just because the papers are saying so, doesn't mean it's true.

MJG

Didn't like his attitude when came across him a couple of years ago at MP so sooner off the books the better for me.

Two Ton Ted

Pretty clear he's got no interest of playing for Fulham in Division 2.

I reckon he'll go for a nominal fee this summer- in his mid 30's and 1 year left on his deal so the fee will cover the wages.
Never ever bloody anything ever.

westcliff white

Quote from: BalDrick on May 17, 2016, 12:06:32 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on May 17, 2016, 11:52:15 AM
Be absolutely amazed if that happens. Just because the papers are saying so, doesn't mean it's true.
Not the papers at all, was his own comment son the TV this morning that I saw. Said after the game Sunday he would like to stay, the fans have played a big part and as long as the club and his ambitions matched up then he hoped it would happen. Tis was quickly followed by the Sky reporte rin the north eats saying a two hour meeting yesterday ended positively.

Who knows what will happen but Benitez at Everton I just don't see him going there with his affinity with Liverpool, he has repeatedly said since leaving that he loves the club would go back etc, so cant see he will go to there nearest rivals. Time will tell

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: MJG on May 17, 2016, 12:11:03 PM
Didn't like his attitude when came across him a couple of years ago at MP so sooner off the books the better for me.

I agree!
I've never met him but IMO he wouldn't be the type to build the camaraderie needed in the team.
Even if we took a small financial hit getting rid, it would be a bonus in the long run.