more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Football League getting a shake-up

Started by Rhys Lightning 63, May 19, 2016, 06:05:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

love4ffc

Quote from: westcliff white on May 21, 2016, 11:37:22 AM
I loathe the idea of premier league "B" teams, that's all about making the rich richer

:54: exactly!  This has nothing to do with improving football in England.  Rather just helping the big premier league teams to get richer and bigger. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Ged

Quote from: dannyboi-ffc on May 21, 2016, 07:53:09 AM
Like that Derby week idea but not every club has a Derby in our league do they?
They used to do that over Easter weekend and Boxing day didn't they?

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: AnEssexFan on May 22, 2016, 02:17:05 AM
This looks like an attempt at a stitch up to me, by the Premier League and the FA.

The Premier League and the FA want to move the FA Cup to a mid week competition to free up more weekends for Premier league games to be screened on television. The FA Cup can't be played midweek if there are lots of Football League matches going on. So, scrap midweek Football League matches and insert the FA Cup.

The Football Leagues argument that it will help raise the quality of it's "product" to attract a larger worlwide audience is nonsense.  How can playing Football League matches solely at weekends, when the Premier League wilbe being shown on TV all over the world, attract new viewers to the lower tiers of English football?

Then there's the income that clubs will lose.  Do the league expect players to take a 20% pay cut? We know they won't, so that means ticket prices have to at least stay the same despite there being 4 fewer games to go to, but prices could even rise to cover the loss of income from the missing 4 matches.

Personally, I think the football league should look to more midweek games, and even Monday, Thursday, and Friday games if they really want to boost attendances and viewing figures.

If the League were interested in what us supporters think, then they could have sent out letters or surverys to club members or season ticket holders.  I love mid week games, and the most memorable games I've been to tend to have been evening games, so I'd be very disappointed if this change came about.

Good post! I think your theory has legs and I've been thinking along those lines too.

For selfish reasons I would prefer the midweek games to stay the same.  I don't want them to stop but I don't want them to increase either. They are more awkward for me to get to and too much of a rush. Wouldn't attendances also drop for family clubs because of school nights? I don't let my daughter go evening games unless it's the holidays because we get home too late.

You've hit the nail on the head by saying only playing weekends will not improve the brand of league football as it will forever live in the shadow of the prem. When the football league have a midweek schedule and you can follow all the goals on sky it's very enjoyable. It puts the other leagues in the spotlight which is surely more beneficial to them?
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Jims Dentist

MJG

I loathe the idea of premier league "B" teams, that's all about making the rich richer
I'm not totally against the idea of finding someway to get younger players playing more competative football and think its something worth discussing. Be it B teams or quotas. If not an actual B team then more linkups between clubs should be possible. Higher number of loans at individual clubs, backed up by help improving the receiving clubs ground. Which could be pitch or other infrastructure such as training facilities.  I think a way of spreading the money down the pyramid needs to be found.

westcliff white

Quote from: MJG on May 23, 2016, 08:58:05 AM
I'm not totally against the idea of finding someway to get younger players playing more competative football and think its something worth discussing. Be it B teams or quotas. If not an actual B team then more linkups between clubs should be possible. Higher number of loans at individual clubs, backed up by help improving the receiving clubs ground. Which could be pitch or other infrastructure such as training facilities.  I think a way of spreading the money down the pyramid needs to be found.

As long as the lesser clubs are the ones that gain and the super rich do not make out of any agreement then thats fine, but I fear that wont be the case
Every day is a Fulham day

bill taylors apprentice

As far as I can see these proposals have come from the FL so I can't see why some are already pointing the finger at the PL ?

And as far as the FA is concerned its in their interest to have a strong FL rather than allow the PL to dominate even more and undermine the base of the football pyramid,no?

While I'm a great fan of the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" theory I'm afraid you only have to look at the way the media etc has changed the face of our sport in recent years to know we won't necessarily like what's next, so a stronger FL may be one factor to slow the inevitable?

In the unlikely event that fans will vote with their feet and wallets by rejecting the Globalization of the PL, I wonder if this idea by the FL is all about heading off the formation of PL 2 and therefore the lesser of two evils?

MJG

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on May 23, 2016, 09:58:08 AM
As far as I can see these proposals have come from the FL so I can't see why some are already pointing the finger at the PL ?

Because in the press statements following the announcement the FL said that it had been done in consultation with the PL and had their backing.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: MJG on May 23, 2016, 10:01:54 AM

Because in the press statements following the announcement the FL said that it had been done in consultation with the PL and had their backing.

Yes I know because I read it in the original statement from the FL.
The PL has given its support 'in principal' and the whole thing is being put forward as a 'whole game' solution to the concerns about the fixture calender and for the benefit of the collective.

But as this proposal appears to be driven at first glance by the FL do we think they are being proactive or its in fact a trojan horse delivered in a way to avert criticism of the all powerful PL who clearly have a problem with the scheduling of domestic cup games?

Either way IMO change will come and I would rather something along the lines proposed here than PL2 and what that would entail for those left out.

MJG

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on May 23, 2016, 11:18:13 AM
Quote from: MJG on May 23, 2016, 10:01:54 AM

Yes I know because I read it in the original statement from the FL.
The PL has given its support 'in principal' and the whole thing is being put forward as a 'whole game' solution to the concerns about the fixture calender and for the benefit of the collective.

But as this proposal appears to be driven at first glance by the FL do we think they are being proactive or its in fact a trojan horse delivered in a way to avert criticism of the all powerful PL who clearly have a problem with the scheduling of domestic cup games?

Either way IMO change will come and I would rather something along the lines proposed here than PL2 and what that would entail for those left out.
Its simply that we are all cynical of anything the PL support. If they like it then their must be something in it for them and sod the others.
I find it funny that Scudemore is up in arms about UEFA even mentioning weekend CL game when he is the man who wanted a bloody 39th game.
As for PL 2, I think it will come within 4 years. With teams coming down with so much money they will become bigger and want a better deal for the 2nd tier league.

personally I think the changes the FL want to make are a bit too radical. The FL/PL work ok, what needs looking at and changing are mainly for me fixtures and dates. I would front load a season more leaving room later in the season for postponements and cup rearranged games.
I have already said I'd look at these silly midweek games where its 3 or 4 hours to drive to and from. I have no problem with games every day even. Play Thursday and Friday, dont see it as an issue really.

westcliff white

I do not think it is being driven by the FL, personally I think both the PL (being driven by the bigger clubs for b teams) and the FL are driving this together. The fear of the FA and the FL is that the FA Cup is diminishing so moving it to a mid week cup may re invigorate it, as with doing away with replays and settling on the day. That in itself is horrible for a small club that could get a replay and make some much needed extra revenue from the replay at their own ground.

The PL teams (some of them) want b teams to enhance their youngsters and of course make some more money. its a complete nonsensical joke the way it has been explained so far. Hopefully they can revise and make it a better proposition or abort it.

Less games = more money, I just don't see how that works.

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: westcliff white on May 23, 2016, 11:26:49 AM
I do not think it is being driven by the FL, personally I think both the PL (being driven by the bigger clubs for b teams) and the FL are driving this together. The fear of the FA and the FL is that the FA Cup is diminishing so moving it to a mid week cup may re invigorate it, as with doing away with replays and settling on the day. That in itself is horrible for a small club that could get a replay and make some much needed extra revenue from the replay at their own ground.

The PL teams (some of them) want b teams to enhance their youngsters and of course make some more money. its a complete nonsensical joke the way it has been explained so far. Hopefully they can revise and make it a better proposition or abort it.

Less games = more money, I just don't see how that works.

I don't see it as a nonsensical joke!
Most of what I see on paper makes sense, its how it evolves from a proposal and the effects it will have as it evolves into the finished article that interests me.

The preservation of promotion throughout and the tradition of replays in the FA cup is paramount to me with maybe an invigorated  Johnstones paint trophy.

Something that needs attending too is the state of Reserve team/u21 football!
If clubs committed to proper regional leagues with plenty of games for unused 1st team players and youngsters then we wouldn't have the B team argument?

westcliff white

Quite possibly BTA, however I think some prem teams will now always want B teams, that part is the nonsensical joke to me, Rich Richer Poor Poorer.

My local team Southend would struggle with 6 league games less each season, players wouldn't take a pay cut.

It needs explaining fully so everyone can see whats what, but at the end of the day money talks and that is what will drive the game forward on this

Skatzoffc

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on May 19, 2016, 06:32:37 PM
We'll be back in the Premier League before this all kicks in though, so don't worry about it

That's the spirit Rhys!
COYW!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

MJG

Quote from: westcliff white on May 23, 2016, 01:07:32 PM
Quite possibly BTA, however I think some prem teams will now always want B teams, that part is the nonsensical joke to me, Rich Richer Poor Poorer.

My local team Southend would struggle with 6 league games less each season, players wouldn't take a pay cut.

It needs explaining fully so everyone can see whats what, but at the end of the day money talks and that is what will drive the game forward on this
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36358190 regarding Southend

westcliff white

Quote from: MJG on May 23, 2016, 01:54:59 PM
Quote from: westcliff white on May 23, 2016, 01:07:32 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36358190 regarding Southend

Indeed, a symptom of lower league clubs over stretching and not being able to meet their commitments, a lot of clubs have the same issue in the lower leagues. One of the reasons I cannot see why less games makes it more profitable for these clubs.

Cracking little club Southend, go there if FFC are away and I want to watch a game.

grandad

The "B" team system works very well here in Spain. Obviously there can´t be a club with 2 teams in the same division. If a "B" team wins their league they don´t gain promotion if their "A" team is in the league above. & they can´t be drawn against eachother in Cup matches.
This system gives the reserves & youngsters a regular season playing in proper stadiums in front of larger crowds.
This would increase club revenue as there would be a home game every week.
Where there's a will there's a wife

westcliff white

AGree Grandad it would do all of that, but if that is Man U, Man C, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal its making the rich richer surely that makes it even harder for other clubs to do a Leicester?

toshes mate

I would prefer the Football League and the Premier League to bring back shared gate receipts in all English football competition if they really want to improve the professional game for everyone concerned.  Reduced league numbers only matter to bigger Premier League clubs who already have large stadia, big fan bases, and rich owners, so much so success on the field is a matter of obtaining  even more revenue from more coverage in the media etc. Under the proposed changes are we going to end up with a League Two North and League Two South and, if so, what happens to the Conference and all below?   I think there is a lot of muddled thinking going on because money is more important than the game itself 

fulhamben

Quote from: grandad on May 23, 2016, 04:33:11 PM
The "B" team system works very well here in Spain. Obviously there can´t be a club with 2 teams in the same division. If a "B" team wins their league they don´t gain promotion if their "A" team is in the league above. & they can´t be drawn against eachother in Cup matches.
This system gives the reserves & youngsters a regular season playing in proper stadiums in front of larger crowds.
This would increase club revenue as there would be a home game every week.
those Reserves and youngsters could get playing time if they went to a club that wanted them. Instead they are just being horded incase they are needed
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.