News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Championship will be difficult to get promoted from next season.

Started by The Swan, May 19, 2016, 08:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Swan

Not much to say except that the Championship next season is going to be difficult to get promoted from.
Some very good teams in it. Newcastle to win, Villa runner up, with a lot of teams fighting for top six finish.

This is my 1000th post.
The Swan

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: The Swan on May 19, 2016, 08:50:21 PM
Not much to say except that the Championship next season is going to be difficult to get promoted from.
Some very good teams in it. Newcastle to win, Villa runner up, with a lot of teams fighting for top six finish.

This is my 1000th post.

I doubt it will be any harder than this year!
Who's to say the likes of Newcastle and Villa will not be in a similar position to other 'big clubs' such as Wolves,Leeds and Forest?

SP

I'll feel far more confident if we sign a few players of the caliber of Glen Murray.

Bill2

This is my 1000th post.
With regard to Newcastle and Villa it all depends on what players they can keep and who they have to keep due to no one else wants them and they are locked into contracts with. Anyone any good will be picked up by other Prem clubs remember these are professional players and will play for whoever pays the most and at the best level. So I would not be surprised if they both have a lot of rebuilding to do for the coming season and blending a new team together cannot be done in a few pre season friendlies.

Funny enough I think Norwich will have the most stability, but I have been known to be wrong.

Jim

The new Villa owner says he will spend £30 to £40 million on new players this summer.

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

A good job then that excessive amounts of money spent was never a guarantee of success

Well in our case anyway.....

Many will attempt to copy the Leicester model

Here's hoping that Joka can deliver that for us

His signings, his team, considerable change & not just the players according to him

Bring it on!

COYW!

Whitesideup

Quote from: Statto on May 19, 2016, 09:21:46 PM
The teams to watch out for are those who can keep their squad intact. Eg burnley who didn't really change their squad much after they got promoted last time and were then able to keep it intact when they came back down.

Newcastle and Villa will both need a complete overhaul to comply with FFP given the massive loss in TV revenue. We know from our own experience how that can turn out.

I'd be more concerned about Norwich

Good point, well made.

Blanco

I actually think Villa will struggle like us. Newcastle will be good if Benitez stays. I don't think it will be any harder than this year. There were some very good teams.

love4ffc

First congrats to The Swan on your 1000 post. 

As for next year I agree and think that Villa will struggle.  New owner dealing with FFP in the Championship....sound familiar? 

Also agree with others and think Newcastle and Norwich will be one and two.  Wolves will be up there but not convinced that Leeds will be anything other then mediocre. 
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?

Pluto

Villa are terrible - I doubt their squad would have finished in the play offs in the Championship even this season. I'd rate Newcastle to win it with the resources they have, especially if Benitez stays. They really pulled it together towards the end of the season and the sheer quality of the players they've got will be enough (they may sell a few but there will be plenty who stay). I'd also rate Norwich to be right  up there, plus Derby, Brighton, Leeds and maybe even some wildcards like Birmingham, Forest & Cardiff. We're going to have to improve enormously if we want to finish top half I think.

HatterDon

Newcastle are the only cert for promotion. Villa are as bad as we were in our last season in the Prem. They're not going straight back up any more than we did.

And the Championship is generally considered to be the most difficult league to get promoted from throughout Europe.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Slaphead in Qatar

Championship is difficult every year. It's a dog fight to get out of this division.

JDH101

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on May 20, 2016, 05:32:24 AM
Championship is difficult every year. It's a dog fight to get out of this division.
We came close the last two years.

Holders

Other teams probably said that about another established  PL team that got relegated a couple of seasons ago. There are no guarantees and it depends how much of their squad they're able to keep together - and how many of their promising youngsters want out because they won't wait. 

The window of opportunity is the parachute payments, it seems to me that it's important to get re-promoted during that period.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Blanco

If Newcastles players are so good why were they so crap this season? I think there a few players who are quality but they will probably leave and they rest of them who are so called "premier league" quality obviously aren't. I think Newcastle are being given too much credit and they won't find it easy to just shoot back up. This seasons team had no balls and thats what you need in the championship. Add to the fact that Benitez has never managed a team in this position before.

They are obvious contenders for the title but I don't think they will find it as easy as some think.

alfie

It will be a new season, so i will not expect, assume or make any predictions, when all team personell can change at the drop of a hat.
Players that played well this season may be awful the next and of course players that played badly can come on and play well, who knows?
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

toshes mate

All three relegated teams will have difficult decisions to make during the summer.  There are infinite possibilities for all teams competing since football relies upon confidence, consistency and good management from boardrooms down through coaching staff and players.  I wouldn't put money on Newcastle getting back up.  I'd look for a side like Brighton or Derby, who both played well this term, to do well again.   I also, don't ask me why, fancy Blackburn to have a good season and challenge.  Obviously I'd like Fulham to start well and give themselves the kind of chance of promotion denied since relegation by hopelessly poor beginnings.  If you start by leaving a twenty point deficit after ten games you really do need a hugely spirited bunch to get anywhere close to play offs.  But I am certain Fulham are going to be there or thereabouts next May.   It doesn't feel like twenty years ago when Micky Adams got us out of Division Three, but it is.

AnEssexFan

I think Newcastle, if they keep Benitez, will go back up as they will have the finances and "pull" to attract the players required.

I believe Norwich will look to keep their squad together and try to do a Burnley.

Aston Villa are a shambles, and I think they'll do well to finish in the top half of a tough division.

As for the other contenders, I think Brighton will be there or there abouts.  As will either Sheffield Wednesday or Hull, depending on who loses in the play off final.  I think Derby will struggle to go up next year, while I believe that Ipswich and Birmingham could both challenge for play off places.

As for us, going on where we are right now, I'd say possibly a top 10 finish next season which would be a big improvement on last season.  As much as I'd like to see us challenge to go up, I dont see how all the changes required to the squad this summer can lead to a "team" capable of challenging so soon, it normally takes 2 years. So, possibly top 10 next season and then a promotion push.
@leightonrw07

Snibbo

One Martin Thomas

This is my 1000th post.

Personally think you are right.  The league next year will be harder to win than this year.