watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Alfie's Boys

Started by bog, May 22, 2016, 09:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Just watched Alfie's Boys. The tale of 1966 and all the back and white footage I found quite emotional. So good to see the shirts without all the clutter they have nowadays and tatooless arms.
   However, one thing I cannot forgive Ramsey is for not giving Johnny Haynes one game before the tournament as he was back to his best form. He and Jimmy Greaves were a perfect match. But we still won it so my grouse seems somewhat trivial. So well done all them boys and Alf, never know times like it since.....and perhaps never again.   

092.gif     

HV71

You are so right about the shirts - the white one in particular - so evocative . Really enjoyed the programme - some very accurate punditry from a certain Mr Hill.

The Swan

Our own George Cohen spoke very well throughout the programme. It was very enjoyable,
The Swan

LBNo11

...most enjoyable programme. Amazing when you look at the money sloshing around with the players and their wags these days and how little the players of '66 benefited from their win.

A moistness around the eye was felt as I saw the iconic film clip of our very own Alex 'The Traveller' complete in his mod parka, cavorting in the fountain at Trafalgar Square in celebration - of all the Fulham fans he should get an honorary engraving on the George Cohen statue plinth...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

bog

It was good to see George reliving the long gone day. Saw his first game for us.  Have to say hearing Jimmy Greaves speak was the most riveting. Just about the best ever goal scorer I ever saw, used to be deadly in and around the box, now we know he is in very poor health. In the past Jimmy said that he felt Johnny Haynes was a better player than Bobby Charlton was and we all are aware of what a magnificent player Bobby was. I wonder what would have happened with Johnny and Jimmy in that side. Them '60's were the best ever.  And there will never be the like ever again.

092.gif