more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-most missed car.

Started by bog, May 24, 2016, 11:13:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ron

Quote from: bog on May 25, 2016, 04:56:57 PM
To Ron and F321ffc. Did your 105E Anglias have a problem with the top of the steering box coming loose? Seemed as though the steering wheel was going to become a frisbee! This was a common fault, I worked at Dagenham Motors Alperton  and Andrews of Ealing and we often had to tighten them up. Blimey that was over 40 years ago!

Twig, you must have felt gutted as it drove away.  I never got over selling my 1936 Austin Hertford. Painful to recollect aint it!

092.gif

Didn't have a problem with the steering, (perhaps it was rusted securely on!)...but the real bugbear on the 105e was the starter for me. The starter ring on the flywheel minced the teeth on the starter in short order, which caused a shocking noise, then failure to start at all. I had a problem with the lower engine breather blocking as well, so back pressure built up enough to blow the oil filler cap (which also had a blocked breather) against the bonnet with a tremendous bang. Never a dull moment, especially in a car that up against modern standards seemed to only have about 25 moving parts!

Forever Fulham

I had a Morris Minor in Calgary when I was in university there.  White and a little boxy.  Paid $150 for it.  Next door neighbor didn't want it anymore.  Drove like a peach.  Never a problem.  Incredibly underpowered, but I didn't care.  Called it Betty.  Smelled like an old car.  Gear shifting was tricky.  Did its job.  Had a love-hate relationship with an Opel Manta 1900.  A 1970-something model.  Called it the Orange Crate.  Had to push start it more times than I can remember.  But it got me through law school.  No room for romance in that car, that's for sure.  An all black interior. Heavy metal for its little size.  Looked fast, but like the Morris, a turtle.  Came back from a trip to Toronto to Detroit where I was living at the time, and stopped off at a dance club, parked it in the street.  When I came out a couple hours later, found my side window smashed, with a brick on the front seat, and my suitcase missing.  All the bastard got was some clothes.  But at the time it bugged me so, and a few weeks later I got rid of the Orange Crate and bought my first new car, a 1986 Nissan Sentra.  Like buying your first pair of sensible shoes.

bog

Ron that was another common fault with the stater motor. On the later cars they put three bolts to hold the starter in place. Mine used to make that awful noise, usually late at night as well!!

092.gif

bog

Forever Fulham, Morris Minors were always a reliable car, early on a little under powered but later with the 1098cc engine a real motor. They never failed to start either, i have had about 6 of them.

092.gif

Forever Fulham

:Haynes The Maestro:
Quote from: bog on May 27, 2016, 09:52:48 PM
Forever Fulham, Morris Minors were always a reliable car, early on a little under powered but later with the 1098cc engine a real motor. They never failed to start either, i have had about 6 of them.

092.gif

NogoodBoyo

Two interesting cars I owned briefly that have yet to feature - with apologies if somebody has already mentioned their personal love affair with either of these cars.
1. Cortina 1600E that my father owned and gave it to me to sell in London.  Went like a bomb for a comparatively small engine (by today's standards) -
2.  Triumph Stag.  This was voted one of the worst cars ever, but I loved the look, the hard and soft top plus the sweetest sounding engine I have ever had the pleasure to drive.  Bad points?  Timing chains...and the fact that the door would change colour in the rain.  Did I mention the timing chains?
Nogood "now I drive Ram trucks and John Deere tractors, isit" Boyo