watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Aaron Hughes to get 100th cap

Started by sunburywhite, June 03, 2016, 05:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunburywhite

Aaron Hughes says he never expected to earn 100 caps for Northern Ireland and will feel 'a great sense of pride' if he reaches the milestone on Saturday.

The defender, 36, is expected to feature in the final Euro 2016 warm-up friendly against Slovakia in Trnava.

If he is selected by manager Michael O'Neill, he will become only the second NI player to hit the century mark along with legendary goalkeeper Pat Jennings.

"It's something no-one can ever take away," Hughes said.

Aaron Hughes travels to France as Northern Ireland's oldest outfield player, one month older than West Brom defender Gareth McAuley

Aaron Hughes travels to France as Northern Ireland's oldest outfield player, one month older than West Brom defender Gareth McAuley

Hughes made his debut against Slovakia and is now poised to reach his century against the same nation after earning his 99th cap coming off the bench in last week's 3-0 victory against Belarus at Windsor Park.

The former Aston Villa, Newcastle United and Fulham player retired from international football but was persuaded to return in 2012 by Michael O'Neill.
"At one point I never thought I would do it [100 caps] but Michael came back in and he said a few things that really resonated with me.

"He made me really think about it and I thought 'you know what, that would be quite something'."

The former Northern Ireland captain was also inspired by playing alongside two centurions at Fulham, the Republic of Ireland's Damian Duff and Greek midfielder Georgios Karagounis.

"Damian had just got his 100 and Karagounis was there too so I was sat there with a couple of lads who were sitting there with a hundred caps and I thought it would be pretty cool to have that.

"To walk away at the end of your career and look back on it, it's something no-one can ever take away so I feel a great deal of pride.

"The amount of help I've had over that period from a lot of different people it would be too long to say thank-you to everyone but I'm very grateful to everyone who's helped along the way, and Michael has played a big part in that."

Northern Ireland open their Euro 2016 campaign against Poland in Nice on 12 June.

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Patrick

F(f)CUK

Really pleased for him and Baird that they get to taste a tournament during their careers.

filham

Very pleased for Hughes ,he served us well.

Of course it begs the question did we let both Hughes and Hangeland go to early, they may well have been a force in the Championship for a few years.

bobby01

Hope you get it Aaron, great servant for us and a great defender .
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

bog

A top quality player Aaron. Rarely got booked and one of the best central defenders we have had. Hope you make it Aaron.  :Haynes The Maestro: 

092.gif

The Swan

Aaron Hughes what a great player for Fulham. He made Hangeland look good.

As another post said on here we let him go too soon.

Hope he gets his 100th cap.
The Swan

St Eve

Quote from: The Swan on June 03, 2016, 08:41:07 PM
Aaron Hughes what a great player for Fulham. He made Hangeland look good.

As another post said on here we let him go too soon.

Hope he gets his 100th cap.

we did let him go too soon. A great player

epsomraver

One of the best readers of the game Fulham has ever had,

RaySmith

You deserve it Aaron, one of the unsung heroes of the game and of FFC, where his praises are rightly sung -top man and top Pro.

dannyboi-ffc

Great servant to the club and definitely an unsung hero. Not taking away from Aaron but I've never understood the view that he made Brede look good.  I thought in his prime Brede was just special anyway but there's no denying Aaron weren't far behind and they were a special partnership that should never be judged as individuals as they were much stronger as a unit. 

I can't think of many modern pros who deserve it as much as Aaron. And only the 2nd to reach 100 and first outfield player. That's some achievement for a country who are a good 50 odd major tournament games behind the likes of England over a career. And to still reach 100 is like surpassing Shiltons England record.

Amazing! Top Man Aaron! Always welcome back to the Cottage and will always have a special place in our hearts.
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Holders

I must add my voice - richly deserved.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Patrick

I just noticed that this game NI v Slovakia is on BBC2 NI...which is on the  (Free) Sky Network Channel 972 KO 7:45...

Seano

Well he's on...not sure for how much longer, Slovakia are not treating this game like a friendly ! Congratulations to Aaron, what an underrated player he was for us at the start, same as Baird (and Healy IMHO). So that's 3 of the 4 NI players we signed likely to be playing in the Euros, with David Healy the only one retired. I wish he was still playing, that Lafferty just doesn't cut the mustard for me.

Rudolph

Some footballing journey that man has been on. 

aaronmcguigan

I don't think anyone can say we let him go too soon. He was out of the team and wanted to play, since he left us he's been a bench warmer for championship teams And Melbourne.

Hand on heart, he's my favourite player of all time , on and off the pitch . He wore the FFC and NI Top with pride and delighted we've had the pleasure of having him at the cottage.  Maybe he would have done a job in the championship but felix and Rene  wanted different players

The Swan

Congratulations AAron on winning your 100th cap for NI
The Swan

Vinnieffc

Sort of annoys me we never had an all Ireland team (ROI/NI) integrated like in the rugby, he'd be well over the hundred already and a worthy captain. All the same Aaron, all the best mate. Love him as a player and what he represents as a person. Wish him well.

Patrick

Actually there was one game with a 'Sort of' All-Ireland team...in 1973 versus Brazil...ie THE Brazil team......Pat Jennings played a blinder.....I am surprised that the FAI or the IFA have not released a DVD of it....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamrock_Rovers_XI_v_Brazil

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Patrick on June 06, 2016, 08:39:03 PM
Actually there was one game with a 'Sort of' All-Ireland team...in 1973 versus Brazil...ie THE Brazil team......Pat Jennings played a blinder.....I am surprised that the FAI or the IFA have not released a DVD of it....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shamrock_Rovers_XI_v_Brazil

Thanks for that Patrick. I actually thought that when Derry joined the Eircom Prem it would open the floodgates for the likes of Linfield and others to join too. Both leagues would benefit from competing with each other. Maybe start off with a FAI/FIA all Ireland final between the respective league winners. That would be fun.