more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Turnstile person of the year - Sponsored by rogerpinvirgina

Started by Friendsoffulham, June 04, 2016, 09:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friendsoffulham

RaySmith

Seriously, I suppose there are a lot of behind the  scenes people who do a very important job, and whom we never hear about.

The ground staff obviously, turnstile operators, kit washers, cleaners, programme sellers, etc.

All we ever hear about is Hilda the tea lady, and her famous tea - that transforms mere mortals into Fulham players!

win-dup

Back in the day when you paid on the gate, many of the turnstile operators tried to tell you to squeeze through the barrier without turning the mechanism so it wouldn't register and thus pocket the money. They particularly asked youngsters to do this as being smaller they could get through the small gap. God knows how much revenue the club lost in those days due to those crooks.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: win-dup on June 04, 2016, 10:23:52 AM
Back in the day when you paid on the gate, many of the turnstile operators tried to tell you to squeeze through the barrier without turning the mechanism so it wouldn't register and thus pocket the money. They particularly asked youngsters to do this as being smaller they could get through the small gap. God knows how much revenue the club lost in those days due to those crooks.

When I was a kid I always squeezed through the turnstiles. Not sure if my Grandad/mum paid though.  Probably not lol.

I remember regularly being let in via the black gates to the Cottage. The man on the gate was good friends with my Grandad and we used to get in for free and enter through the side of the enclosure. Arthur I think his name was. Does anyone remember him?

This was in the Micky Adams days, as we got more successful Arthur disappeared as the club obviously got stricter. He must be dead now.

Anyway I vote for Arthur as a thankyou. In some ways it's people like him that I miss more than premier league football. Even at a young age it felt more like a club than it does now
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

Holders

Keegan said when he came in that fans must be prepared for the club to be different in character and the players more distant.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: Holders on June 04, 2016, 11:17:41 AM
Keegan said when he came in that fans must be prepared for the club to be different in character and the players more distant.

And it was. Gradually over the years it changed but I think getting to the Premier league and needing to remove the enclosure for seating and replace the putney/hammy ends was the big difference.

I reckon we lost a few characters and older fans when we returned from Loftus Road. And now as football evolves with money it will remain this way. Which is a shame but it will eventually happen to all clubs who reach the top 2 tiers.

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Holders

Yes. The money is the root of it but the PL has to compete with the overseas leagues so, like all things in this day and age, it was inevitable. I like going to Exeter occasionally for a dose of what Fulham used to be like.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

J.Perkins

The "people in the turnstiles" are majorly idiots brought in in the back of a lorry. So many times have I put by season ticket it, it flash green, and they need waking up to release the turnstile.

SP

I regularly see Arthur, he's now in a wheelchair but still gets to games I think - a top bloke.  I doubt he was laid off by the club, more his age I expect.

dannyboi-ffc

Quote from: SP on June 04, 2016, 02:27:03 PM
I regularly see Arthur, he's now in a wheelchair but still gets to games I think - a top bloke.  I doubt he was laid off by the club, more his age I expect.

Brilliant to hear. I assumed he had died given his age and the fact I've never seen him since the late 90s. I reckon it was probably a combination of both his age and the club changing procedures. When Mo came in a lot of things changed which was understandable given the direction we were heading.

Really pleased to hear he still goes. I'll have to tell my mum. He was a lovely bloke

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]