watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-recruiting.

Started by bog, June 08, 2016, 04:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Had a magical moment yesterday. Was out trudging (shopping) with my wife and when she chose to look for holiday clothing enough was enough and a seat was sort for relief. I sat down next to a male of a similar age and after exchanging a few niceties he turned out to be a FFC supporter since about 1957! Within seconds the day had rocketed from one of aimless endeavor to a pinnacle of excitement! (I don't get out much.) Turns out he had been to all the major games I had been to and Adam Blacklaw's foul on Maurice Cook in 1962 at Villa Park was still as fresh with he as me! Must have looked liked those two old blokes in the Muppets as we exchanged memories with much enthusiasm! Another to join the Old Sod's Army! A very pleasant interlude indeed!  082.gif

Thank you and good night 

092.gif   

Beamer

If only Maurice hadn't been such an honest trier and just gone over, we could all have forgotten the dreadful weather and enjoyed a moment of glory. Never mind. Now where is my Horlicks.

Burt

A couple of days ago I had a parcel delivered by a guy in the red and white marathonbet away top from a few seasons ago. I complimented him on his good taste in fashion and sport :)

bog

I used to like Maurice. Always gave his all. He was in the parade of former players in the last game before the temporary move Loftus Road. Wont forget his hat-trick the night of the first game under floodlights v Wednesday in a 4-1 win, a certain Stan Brown scored the other this scruffy old sod seems to recall....

092.gif

AnotherVicHalomLoveChild

Stan Brown hmmm

A full head of hair
Left parting I think
Not Brill creamed as per the Maestro?
Honest, solid & professional - a Fulham type chappie

bog

That was Stan. Another Brylcreme boy. Started as a centre forward and changed to a very industrious midfielder. 392 (5)apps scoring 19 goals. Wont ever forget Stanley Brown.  082.gif

092.gif

bog

Woolley, I was there also. It was a very sunny day and it was Stan's second game after his debut a few days earlier v Sheff United.  082.gif

092.gif

sunburywhite

I seem to remember him scoring with a rocket of a header from about 15 yards out against WBA
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

sunburywhite

"Apart from my first goal, the one I remember best was in a cup tie against West Bromwich Albion in 1969. We were at the bottom of the Second Division, they were in the First and FA Cup holders. They beat us 2-1 at the Cottage but we were worth a draw. I got our goal, a header when I had to twist in mid-air. I was all of five feet seven but I managed to out-jump their centre half John Talbot, who was a strapping figure.

bog

Thanks for that Sunburywhite. What a great read about those long gone times. I remember that own goal by Mullery at the Hammersmith End.  :doh: Not to many like Stanley Brown these days.  082.gif

092.gif

bog

Woolly and Sunburywhite...it was his third game, he made his debut against Wednesday in a 6-1 home defeat..it is an age thing.... :doh:

092.gif