watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Cottage development!!

Started by win-dup, July 01, 2016, 07:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

win-dup

Walking on the Surrey side of the Thames between Hammersmith and Putney today, and looking into the ground, it appears that the Cottage is being re-roofed. Not quite redevelopment of the Riverside but it's a start of sorts I suppose. Even better, I saw a kingfisher in Beverley Brook where it joins the Thames. Amazing to think how clean the river is now. When I was a boy, old navy MTB boats were moored in Beverley Brook, with people living in them, such was the housing shortage in the 1950's. Plus ca change, I might have said if we hadn't Brexited last week.

Holders

Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Holders

win-dup

You're all being silly. I shall stop posting nature notes if you don't take them seriously.

The Old Count

Some Rangers supporters had the lead off of it so it had to be replaced

Holders

Quote from: win-dup on July 01, 2016, 10:06:33 PM
You're all being silly. I shall stop posting nature notes if you don't take them seriously.

Are you serious?

It's great that you saw a kingfisher in London.  The alligator comment was obviously wide of the mark but my comment wasn't flippant - Beverley Brook is obviously derived from beaver ley (where ley is a meadow), hence Beaver Meadow Brook. It wouldn't have been named that for nothing. There are wild beavers in Devon (on the River Otter) and experimental re-establishments at another site in Devon and one in Scotland. The data showing their potential for a very positive impact in flood reduction by smoothing water flows is significant. Informed people, including to my knowledge some in Somerset, which was so badly affected by the floods a couple of years ago, are seriously talking abut them being a larger part of the solution. Same in Cumbria, maybe, but upstream re-afforestation would also be effective there.

My own nature notes: in Pembrokeshire last week choughs, a merlin and wall-to-wall puffins so numerous that they were like bees round a hive. If you wanted you could have touched them. A kingfisher in London must be a rarer sighting though.

Forever Fulham

Quote from: Holders on July 03, 2016, 12:40:45 PM

Are you serious?

It's great that you saw a kingfisher in London.  The alligator comment was obviously wide of the mark but my comment wasn't flippant - Beverley Brook is obviously derived from beaver ley (where ley is a meadow), hence Beaver Meadow Brook. It wouldn't have been named that for nothing. There are wild beavers in Devon (on the River Otter) and experimental re-establishments at another site in Devon and one in Scotland. The data showing their potential for a very positive impact in flood reduction by smoothing water flows is significant. Informed people, including to my knowledge some in Somerset, which was so badly affected by the floods a couple of years ago, are seriously talking abut them being a larger part of the solution. Same in Cumbria, maybe, but upstream re-afforestation would also be effective there.

My own nature notes: in Pembrokeshire last week choughs, a merlin and wall-to-wall puffins so numerous that they were like bees round a hive. If you wanted you could have touched them. A kingfisher in London must be a rarer sighting though.
The merlin is a beautiful small falcon.  I didn't know it was native to Britain.  Fairly plentiful in North America.  Some have bluish feathers, quite striking.  BTW, isn't the proper term for establishing a forest that was once there, reforestation?  Maybe I'm wrong; I'd better look that up. 

Holders

Quote from: Forever Fulham on July 03, 2016, 03:23:29 PM
Quote from: Holders on July 03, 2016, 12:40:45 PM

Are you serious?

The merlin is a beautiful small falcon.  I didn't know it was native to Britain.  Fairly plentiful in North America.  Some have bluish feathers, quite striking.  BTW, isn't the proper term for establishing a forest that was once there, reforestation?  Maybe I'm wrong; I'd better look that up. 

I think it depends on which side of the Atlantic you are!

I like wildlife but I'm no twitcher - but I spent half an hour looking at birds last Thursday (referendum day!) which is more than I'd done in the rest of my life put together. I was on a cliff-top looking down and the merlin seemed to have a nest on the cliff-face and the choughs were scavenging. Both birds are quite rare here, I'm told, and it was nice to see them.