https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

"BIG SAM" APPOINTED AS ENGLAND MANAGER

Started by Burt, July 20, 2016, 06:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulhamben

Quote from: Barrett487 on July 20, 2016, 09:22:41 PM
Quote from: fulhamben on July 20, 2016, 08:59:02 PM
If big Sam picks a formation that he likes and the best players to fit that formation, then he will do ok in my eyes. First thing he needs to do is pick a new captain though

:plus one:

Out of interest, who would you have captaining the team?
honestly, I havent given it much thought
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

bill taylors apprentice

It had to be an English man and there was no knight in shining armour riding over the hill to rescue us from mediocrity !

So Big Sam it is, and frankly I think he might surprise a few people with his approach to international football.

As for the style, I say if its winning football he gives us, that's the style of football people want to see!

RaySmith

What type of manager is Big Sam?

One who gets results.

He is someone who is well known for taking on board all the latest in technology and coaching, and is very good at getting the best out of average players, and  creating a team ethic.

fulham traveller

But will the players want to play for him, they did not really play for Roy, who says they will fir big Sam

Rhys Lightning 63

Quote from: grandad on July 20, 2016, 08:26:50 PM
If there was relegation in international football I would back him as that is all he is good at avoiding. As a manager I don´t know if he has won anything of significance.

FYI, everyone making jokes about Big Sam 'if there was relegation in International Football' are to be advised that we have the Uefa Nations League coming up, where there is ACTUALLY relegation
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: fulham traveller on July 20, 2016, 11:09:10 PM
But will the players want to play for him, they did not really play for Roy, who says they will fir big Sam

The difference, hopefully will be instead of a manager who indulges the little darlings and picks the fashionable players we may now have a manager who will insist its his way or the high way.

fulhamben

Quote from: bill taylors apprentice on July 20, 2016, 11:19:31 PM
Quote from: fulham traveller on July 20, 2016, 11:09:10 PM

The difference, hopefully will be instead of a manager who indulges the little darlings and picks the fashionable players we may now have a manager who will insist its his way or the high way.

and not getting your strikers to double up as fullbacks will go a long way to getting the players on side
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Legate21

Defoe and Carroll to be the new Owen and Crouch up front?

Noble to come in as captain?

Carborundum

Quote from: Legate21 on July 21, 2016, 06:13:59 AM
Defoe and Carroll to be the new Owen and Crouch up front?

Noble to come in as captain?
Mark Noble > Jordan Henderson.  Could do a lot worse as captain.

Shawcross at the back would be my tip.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: cookieg on July 20, 2016, 08:45:26 PM
The fact that it was between Bruce and A-Lard-Arse shows how much English managers have fallen in their ability to manage teams to success. I can't even remember when an English manager won anything of any significance.

He was second choice....Wenger was man they wanted.

Lighthouse

If it had been announced that he was the manager of Fulham I would have been deeply upset. But supported him and hoped that he would be successful. I have less interest in the International game but nevertheless feel the same about his appointment with England. Good luck to him.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Logicalman

Quote from: Neil D on July 20, 2016, 09:32:43 PM
His quip that if his name had been Allardici he would have been managing a top Premier league club says a lot about his latent sense of resentment that he has been overlooked because of prejudice against English managers.  He's been overlooked because his teams play one-dimensional football - not 'pretty' (code for tactically inventive) but practical.  He manages mediocre players and teams well and gets them to perform accordingly so maybe this is the right appointment.

Then again, nobody would have accused the Portuguese of playing 'pretty' football in the final this summer, so if all that counts is results, which is all the FA bang on about, then we might be getting someplace.

Big Sam does have something about him, apart from the bulldog-chewing-wasp aspect of course, and I, for one, wait with some anticipation for his first few competitive games, just to see what team he picks and how they fare.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

JHaynes Paperboy

Coleman was a less than average manager and he got a less than average Welsh side to the semi's, so what's to say Sam can't acheive something with England.
I have never been a fan of Sam's but let's give him a go, he can't do any worse than others??

Mince n Tatties

Im sure he will kick a few of their backsides.

Artful Dodger

I am prepared to give him a chance. I think he will be his own man and not pander to the press and bollock players when they need it. This Euros proved that teams that are well organised will do well - Iceland, Wales, Portugal all sat back and look at Leicester last season. So if he can go back to basics and not try to fit every attacking player we have in to the team, we may stand a better chance. Good luck to him!

I do however remember going to watch Bolton v Fulham in 2000, the season we went up and we beat them 2-0 and played some awesome football and then listened to Big Sam on the radio in the car after...made it sound like we were lucky! I thought he was a prat after that but I guess you have to stick up for your own team! I want a successful England team so he will have my support whilst he is in the job.
Faber est suae quisque fortunae

grandad

Quote from: Rhys Lightning 63 on July 20, 2016, 11:13:51 PM
Quote from: grandad on July 20, 2016, 08:26:50 PM
If there was relegation in international football I would back him as that is all he is good at avoiding. As a manager I don´t know if he has won anything of significance.

FYI, everyone making jokes about Big Sam 'if there was relegation in International Football' are to be advised that we have the Uefa Nations League coming up, where there is ACTUALLY relegation

Well I suppose we will avoid it by the skin of our teeth.
Where there's a will there's a wife

jarv

We just witnessed the biggest football borefest of all time. Who cares about international football. 094.gif

Whitesideup

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 21, 2016, 06:56:19 PM
Quote from: jarv on July 21, 2016, 06:49:06 PM
We just witnessed the biggest football borefest of all time. Who cares about international football. 094.gif

I DO !
I agree with the Woolly. But for me choice of International Manager DOESN'T MATTER. Yes, put a coherent system together, but then it's really down to the players. Wales can reach the semis with Chris Coleman - totally inept club manager. Iceland do better than England, with a manager who is is very experienced .. mostly in dentistry. Portugal play at best averagely .. and win the tournament. Frankly I think Sam will motivate as well as any manager. Eddie Howe is the most astute, by a stretch,  but people criticize his "lack of experience". Tactically he would have been better, but you know what? IT DOESN'T MATTER. Sam has good players to choose from. He will put together a good side. We will do well. Whether we do very well depends on the players. 

PS someone on this site said certain managers can have "one good season" and included Eddie Howe in that number. Clearly whoever it was does not know the history of Eddie's managerial career. As if football only exists in the Premiership.

Andy S

I have had very little interest in international football for many years. I think that there are too many games where caps are awarded to sub standard players in order to put their price and standing up on the transfer market