https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

"BIG SAM" APPOINTED AS ENGLAND MANAGER

Started by Burt, July 20, 2016, 06:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burt

Burt

From the BBC:

Sam Allardyce will be named as the new England manager - with confirmation expected in the next 24 hours.

Allardyce will leave Sunderland after nine months at the Premier League club.

The 61-year-old replaces Roy Hodgson, who resigned after the surprise defeat by Iceland at this summer's Euro 2016 finals in France.

Allardyce, a former West Ham, Newcastle and Bolton boss, spoke to the Football Association last week and has been chosen ahead of Hull's Steve Bruce.

Both Sunderland and Hull had urged the FA to act quickly, with the new Premier League season less than a month away.

Allardyce was interviewed for the England job following Sven-Goran Eriksson's departure after the 2006 World Cup but Steve McClaren was appointed.

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe and USA coach Jurgen Klinsmann had also been linked with the job this summer.

Allardyce will become the 15th permanent England boss as the pinnacle of a managerial career that started with Blackpool in 1994 and has taken in 467 Premier League games - behind only Sir Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger and Harry Redknapp.

Slaphead in Qatar

Disastrous appointment. Tactically will get taken apart at international level

cookieg

He'll be gone before the World Cup qualifiers are over with a big pay off.

Rhys Lightning 63

Anyone needs me I'll be down the bookies, they have £60 of mine
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

Chesh

Good luck to him, I say.

Can't be any worse than the other recent incumbents (including Hodgson), and may have the presence to earn the players' respect.

If we have to pay him off early - who cares...worth a go
Made in Hammersmith (1968)

Barrett487

Excellent news i suspect...... solidly coached at the back and encourage creative interplay up front if you have the players. What's not to like? Italy were a lack-lustre team and lost to Germany. A solid base to build from means we won't concede, but the likes of sturridge, ali lallana, walcott, wilshere, vardy (who knows about sterling) will do their thing and it'll be great........... HONEST!

One James stannard

Although I'm not doing cart-wheels over the appointment I am glad it's been given to an Englishman.
If any other manager from diffrent country was given the job and we did win anything then it's would all be because of the foreign manager.

I have always thought that the national team should be managed by Englishman. I will NEVER support a England team when they are managed by a foreigner 

Woolly Mammoth

He apparently gave the best interview by far of any other contender for years, should have got it I am told when they went for McClaren instead a few years ago, and set out his plans for all England teams from the 1st team downwards. He showed the FA his Agenda, and it appears he has really thought it through, and has done enormous research and gathered information, that made him the outstanding candidate. A completely different animal to Hodgson, Erickson and Capello, thank goodness. His presence alone will shake some players up. He takes his work seriously and is a passionate Englishman, and The job should go to an Englishman, at least he won't be sitting on his backside like Sven, on the bench scared sh**less, or stroking his chin like Hodgson, scared to take Rooney off in case Wayne head buts him, or talking b***ocks in Italian like Tommy Cappelo Cooper.
So if it's him, he start with a clean slate, he won't please everyone, but neither did Alf Ramsey, he is his own man, I am surprised the FA didn't get some blazer in, but also glad.
Let's hope it works out for everyone, he will seperate the men from any boys. You won't see Kane taking corners, I doubt whether we will see Rooney wearing the Skippers armband again.
It will be colourful and a lot more interesting, but he needs to make an impact quickly and rid the demons from the players that will survive any culling he may inflict.
The jury's  out with me, but I am prepared to give him a chance. After all they gave it to Capello who was a disaster, they gave it to Sven, who was way out of his depth, and Sven had the so called Golden Generation, and what a pigs ear he made of that. So why not Sam, let's see what he can do on the International scene. I hope he does the business, I am certainly feel more confident with Sam than all the others, since Hoddle got replaced.
Sam could prove a lot of people who are deluded in thinking they know better than him, very wrong. The players will not want to face him as they walk off the pitch if they do not perform well. He may very well ram criticism down a lot of people's throats. I hope he does for England's  sake.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Woodlawn

Despised by West spam & Newcastle supporters because of his Long ball football. IMO a panic appointment, that  will not be pleasant to watch Should have gone for Howe

sunburywhite

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

aaronmcguigan

Can't say it's a panic appointment. You can't wait around for a candidate that isn't there. In terms of Englishmen there's no one about. You can't even say he's the best around. Big Sam, Bruce, Southgate; bang average. its the calibre they can attract. If he's English , he's not good enough as he hadn't managed a big team. If he's foreign it's because he's not English and doesn't get 'it'
Either way he'll be criticised, either way he will steamroll through qualifying before being knocked out

nose

oh dear a massive step backwards
i will support him but have grave reservations
a young man is what was and is required(unless they asked me because i happen to believe managing england is much easier than it is cracked up top be. they so over complicate and hype it up that it inevitably goes pear shapped!)

i suppose he can do no worse than evryone since alf...

grandad

If there was relegation in international football I would back him as that is all he is good at avoiding. As a manager I don´t know if he has won anything of significance.
Where there's a will there's a wife

Barrett487

cookieg

The fact that it was between Bruce and A-Lard-Arse shows how much English managers have fallen in their ability to manage teams to success. I can't even remember when an English manager won anything of any significance.

fulhamben

If big Sam picks a formation that he likes and the best players to fit that formation, then he will do ok in my eyes. First thing he needs to do is pick a new captain though
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Barrett487

Quote from: fulhamben on July 20, 2016, 08:59:02 PM
If big Sam picks a formation that he likes and the best players to fit that formation, then he will do ok in my eyes. First thing he needs to do is pick a new captain though

:plus one:

Out of interest, who would you have captaining the team?

Neil D

His quip that if his name had been Allardici he would have been managing a top Premier league club says a lot about his latent sense of resentment that he has been overlooked because of prejudice against English managers.  He's been overlooked because his teams play one-dimensional football - not 'pretty' (code for tactically inventive) but practical.  He manages mediocre players and teams well and gets them to perform accordingly so maybe this is the right appointment.