https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Are We Skint Or Just Prudent?

Started by White Noise, February 03, 2010, 04:09:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/football/teams/s/swansea_city/8495750.stm

Rangel quotes disappoint Jenkins

Swansea City chairman Huw Jenkins says he is "disappointed" by comments from defender Angel Rangel regarding a possible move to Fulham.

The Spaniard, 27, claimed he was denied the chance to further his career by joining the Premier League club at the end of the transfer window.

"I'm disappointed to read so many inaccuracies in the quotes from Angel," Jenkins said of the newspaper report.

He says Fulham had only made a loan bid with a possible permanent deal after.

"At no time did Fulham offer any financial deal for our player apart from a loan option with the 'possibility' of a permanent deal at the end of it," Jenkins added.

"I am certainly not prepared to let a regular and quality Championship player with 18 months left on his contract leave the club for virtually nothing.

"As with every footballer at this club, if they don't want to play for Swansea City then they can leave, because it is important we maintain the fantastic spirit and togetherness within the squad that has taken us up to fifth in the Championship.

"But they will not leave until the deal is right for this football club.

"We've worked too hard and come too far as a football club to give players away for nothing to Premier League or other Championship clubs."

Jenkins confirmed at the close of the January transfer window on Monday that the Swans had snubbed a move by the Cottagers for right-back Rangel.

He also revealed Wigan Athletic had a £1m bid rejected for midfielder Leon Britton while Nottingham Forest also failed in their attempts to sign Britton's midfield partner Darren Pratley.

But Rangel, who joined from Spanish side Terrassa in 2007 for a small undisclosed fee and needs one more appearance to trigger an automatic contract extension, told the South Wales Evening Post: "To be honest I am disappointed.

"What I know from my agent is that Fulham made an offer and it was the offer the chairman was asking for.

"But then when everything about the deal was sorted and everything was ready, the chairman did not answer his phone or he turned it off.

Logicalman

This is a little murky for my liking....

According to the Western Mail Jenkins said the following"  ..Swansea City have confirmed that they fended off interest in Leon Britton, Darren Pratley and Angel Rangel before the transfer window slammed shut.
Defender Rangel was a reported target for Fulham, while Britton was wanted by Wigan Athletic and Nottingham Forest were keen on Pratley.
Chairman Huw Jenkins told the Western Mail: "There was serious interest in Leon, Darren and Angel.
"But we resisted the temptation to let them go, taking into account the high value we place on the players as individuals and within the squad.
"Paulo (Sousa) feels it is in the club's best interest to keep everyone together until the end of the season at least - focused and committed to help us achieve a position as high as we can."
Updated 03/02/2010 07:25:37
"

I guess to him "Serious Interest" means a loan deal does it? Looks like he attending the Arry school of honest dealings, doesn't it? And it makes the quote "But then when everything about the deal was sorted and everything was ready, the chairman did not answer his phone or he turned it off." a lot more believable.

.. and looks like Angel is only values at 1.5M (http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/basics/990389/middlesbrough-fc_swansea-city-fc/uebersicht/vergleich.html)

Jimpav

The player (Rangel) sounds a bit outspoken, not the best idea to be moaning about your chairman to the local rag.

Logicalman

Quote from: Jimpav on February 03, 2010, 05:11:57 PM

The player (Rangel) sounds a bit outspoken, not the best idea to be moaning about your chairman to the local rag.

That is a very good point. I wish I'd thought of it!!  ;D

Jimpav

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Loan deals are best for us,they have to work for a deal,no work no deal ;)