News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

We're weaker this season, as other teams get stronger.

Started by fcfulham55, August 04, 2016, 07:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fcfulham55

Finishing 19th in the premier league, to 17th, then 20th in the championship. Our squad has noticeably weakened year on year.

And having an even weaker team currently, this season. Along with trend, it doesn't bode too well.  It'll be an absolute miracle if we're safe with games to spare this season. I said we we're going to be in a relegation battle early on last season. As most people ignored and were debating promotion/ play off places.

I think Slav as manager is the only improvement on last season, let's hope he can mastermind something unexpected. And special, as we're going to need it desperately.

So, so far no improvements. Teams all round have strengthened, and we finished 20th last year. 2 places off the dropzone. I therefore have no expectations.

Sent from my Nokia 3310

fulhamben

our team is stronger by far not weaker.  other than ross and possibly dembele (aluko looks good) who have we lost that anyone cares about? on the flip side we have gained button odoi madl kalas mcdonald ayite and aluko. all of which will probably be starters and we also have malone and preferably sess to start at left back. we might be low on numbers, but our first team is miles better
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

fulhamben

and most people thought we wold be in a promotion push? think youll find most on here if the poll was anything to go by, wanted kit replaced last summer, and that wasnt because we thought we was going up

BedsFFC

I think you are going to be very happily surprised.

fulhamben

Quote from: BedsFFC on August 04, 2016, 08:12:29 PM
yes, really dont get the gloom. we have pace, we have a much more solid looking back 4 and we have money to spend, and more importantly we have a manager with a plan

Oakeshott

"yes, really dont get the gloom. we have pace, we have a much more solid looking back 4 and we have money to spend, and more importantly we have a manager with a plan"

Absolutely agree. Provided Khan does authorise the spending after selling Ross, we will have a hugely better balanced team than last season, with players brought in by a manager with a clear sense of the type of football he intends us to play.

We may well get beaten tomorrow, but as far as one can foresee Newcastle is every team's hardest home game and, who knows, they might not be as good early in the season as they probably will once they get into their stride. If our lads play with enthusiasm, we might even get a result.

fcfulham55

Thanks for the optimism gents, I must admit I'm never very optimistic. And your views are all welcome. I hope you're all right!
Sent from my Nokia 3310

bill taylors apprentice

Quote from: fcfulham55 on August 04, 2016, 08:38:35 PM
Thanks for the optimism gents, I must admit I'm never very optimistic. And your views are all welcome. I hope you're all right!

You need to get some sunshine, a cold drink and a hot woman to change your outlook !

fulhamben

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 04, 2016, 08:39:55 PM
All this makes it such an interesting and mind boggling game tomorrow.
From the moment the starting eleven is announced plus subs, to the moment the final whistle is blown and beyond that.
Jok and Fulham are not just there to make the numbers up. The fact that it's on Sky, it's the first match of the season under floodlights, against what a number of observers reckon are the overwhelming favourites to be promoted which happens to be Newcastle United, just freshly relegated, and they and their manager none other than the one and only Raphael Benitez. Who has purchased some quality players, to add to the other quality players he already had. Whereas Fulham have had to let both their top scorers go elsewhere.
Whoever wrote this particular script knows his stuff.

So what have we got going for us. Where do Fulham FC fit into this scenario.
Well for a start its on our patch, Gods Country. They will be the overwhelming favourites just because it's Newcastle. It's the first game of the new season, there is no form guide, the best time to play them out of all the weekends, this is the best time, the pressure is on them to deliver, all the prematch talk will be about them. Fulham are only there to make up the numbers.
So Jok will set his stall out, he is not spoilt for numbers, so it won't take him long to make his mind up. What will be formulae, what formation will he commence with. We are not even sure, let alone Newcastle. It could be a classic, pure Theartre.
Will we win, if so will we win well or grind out a victory, will we scrape an honourable draw, or will it be glorious defeat, or heaven help us, will we be turned over on our own patch without a fight.
So many endings to consider.
Both teams so far have kept their powder dry.
It's going to be nail biting between now and tomorrow's final whistle.
Please do not ask me to forecast the result, as I haven't a clue.
Will we be pumping our chests after a glorious victory of epic proportions, will it be a compelling and honourable draw, or will it be a gut wrenching defeat.
Well we will soon find out, it's what most of us have been waiting for, but are we eagerly and confidently looking forward to it, or is there a little man inside our heads dreading the outcome.
Is it going to be goalless, or will we it be a goal feast.
So many questions that will soon be answered.

Thank you and Goodnight  049:gif S001.gif  :down_under:  065.gif
think it's safe to say that we will use the 4411 formation that worked so well against palace. And I'd say 8 of those starters in that game are nailed on to start. With gk st and maybe although I wouldn't, the lb position might be still open.

MikeR

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 04, 2016, 08:39:55 PM
All this makes it such an interesting and mind boggling game tomorrow.
So many questions that will soon be answered.

This.
I only ask that we please begin running when the starting pistol is fired rather than waiting a month or two as we have the past two seasons.
We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine. - H. L. Mencken

Tonywa

Just don't see that apart from the obvious current temporary shortfall up front that losing Richards, Burn, Hutchinson, Garbutt, O'Hara, Kacaniclkic etc. makes us weaker than last year and the way we are likely to be set up I shouldn't be surprised if the midfield contributes a good few more goals this season thereby helping to soften the blow of Ross's departure.

Tonywa

Intersting seeing some of the comments on our new squad when I would wager that most people participating in the thread haven't seen most of the new signings play so have no real  idea as to whether we are stronger or not.

Lighthouse

Look at the 11 picked for the first game last season. Despite many believing we would do well it now looks appalling. This season we have pace to start with. Desperately small squad but that may be rectified by the end of August.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

NogoodBoyo

I'm firmly with the optimists. 
The squad might be marginally weaker, but the team seems noticeably stronger.  So many seem to have poo-pooed the pre-season.  Why?  Results and performances too good?  Palace didn't care so that win was pointless?  Come on.  Negativity before the starting whistle has got anywhere near the ref's chapped and puckereds is really not the smart position to take.  Why not give the team (and the manager) a chance before slashing your wrists and whingeing like the proverbial pomegranate. 
Plenty of time (and opportunity) for that later if misery is what floats your boat.
Nogood "there, feel better for that I do, isit" Boyo

HatterDon

I think we're stronger. Other teams are also stronger. Other teams are weaker. Other teams play different sports. Other teams draw hay wagons.

I think we're weaker.*

* couldn't be bothered to wait a few hours and say this in a different thread.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

J

Quote from: Tonywa on August 04, 2016, 10:51:29 PM
Intersting seeing some of the comments on our new squad when I would wager that most people participating in the thread haven't seen most of the new signings play so have no real  idea as to whether we are stronger or not.

Seeing the ones we've shipped out play wasnt enough?? ;-)
Sure agreed preseason isn't always a perfect indicator but what I and presumably others who have posted have seen we do look better. Hopefully this translates into the season proper! Time will tell but I am optimistic with a couple more signings we will do much better than last season

RaySmith

Pre-season does  give me optimism, and our new signings look the business, but the squad definitely needs strengthening- we look thin in numbers and quality.

A win tonight, or maybe even a point if the performance is good, will give a lift to everybody, and help calm feelings of  foreboding.

Chutney

We will struggle to stay up with our current squad, please can we stop trying to push the idea that we are better than that, it puts unnecessary pressure on the players and manager. If we finish around mid table it will be a very very good season with this set of players.
C O Y W

The Enclosurite

Quote from: fulhamben on August 04, 2016, 08:15:57 PM
Quote from: BedsFFC on August 04, 2016, 08:12:29 PM
yes, really dont get the gloom. we have pace, we have a much more solid looking back 4 and we have money to spend, and more importantly we have a manager with a plan

Yep. Feeling good about this season.  The squad will only get stronger too.   049:gif
¡COYW!

H3Matt

I'm as pessimistic as they come but even I have to admit that our team looks miles stronger this season. We need to shed the appearance that we're a one man team. We've got a very experienced keeper in Button. Kalas is a solid defender who got Boro promoted. Madl is a great defender and Odoi already sounds like a fan favourite. McDonald is in the squad and he ran the game against us at the Cottage last year. I've heard nothing but good things about Ayité, a pacy winger. Everyone knows who Aluko is. He has promotion experience and can play in a number of positions up front.

My only cause for concern is our lack of cover, the squad seems quite thin. LB worries me as I don't rate Malone and Ream doesn't do a good job there. Sessengon is not ready for the Championship (I wish people would lower their expectations of him). We only have Stearman as defensive cover. We definitely need centre backs, midfielders/wingers and a striker or two.

Still, we have another 26 days of the transfer window and I'm expecting at least maybe another 5 or 6 players in. We'll spend the Ross cash and more. Silvestre and Jozabed should be announced soon.