watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-defending corners

Started by bog, August 06, 2016, 08:54:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

How would we be if we conceded from a corner like we scored last night? Why don't they defend goal posts anymore? If a defender had been on the post we would not have scored. How many times Cohen and Langley did this for us and many others since. Seems daft to this  scruffy old pleb.

092.gif

Thank you and good night.

bill taylors apprentice

I agree.

I suppose the idea is you block off the attackers runs with extra defenders and you stop the attempted header at source but sports unpredictable and better to have two on the posts as a fail safe.

Maybe because its an old fashioned tactic and today's mangers cant have to be seen to be innovative?

Rhys Lightning 63

It's something that as a goalkeeper baffles me. It was the first thing I did on EVERY set piece, was put a man on each post. A keeper CANNOT cover the whole goal after a split second alteration of the ball at a set piece.
@MattRhys63 - be warned, there will be a lot of nonsense

cmg

It not only seems daft to old bums like me and (with respect) you, but also to many (most?) of the 'experts' on commentary. And yet so many teams adhere to it.

I suppose the idea is to add numbers to the wrestling party occurring in the box.

If you look at yesterday's goal you see that two and a half defenders seem to be fairly uselessly deployed; one covering a short corner which is never going to happen, one on the edge of the six-yard (possibly to prevent one being dropped in short) and one sort of covering, but about a yard and a half away from the near post. Of the three marking our three targets (Smith, Madl and Kallas), Kallas uses his strength and nous to clear out two of them (his man is clinging tightly to him) which creates the space for Smith. Meanwhile, Macdonald, with a dummy run, pulls the only bloke anywhere near the far post away from the scene of the crime.
Rather neat, but, as you say negated by having a body on the far post.