https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff 19.08.10

Started by os5889, August 18, 2010, 11:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=209779
Fulham - It`s a Sell-Out!
It`s very pleasing to read that our first home game of the season is now a sell out.

Craven Cottage will be rocking with 27,500 supporters packed inside to see Fulham take on Manchester United.

Having beaten United in our last two encounters, in the Premier League, at Craven Cottage, Fulham will be seeking a unique hat-trick.

It also gives the Fulham faithful the opportunity to officially welcome Mark Hughes to Craven Cottage with only a smattering having turned up for the pre-season friendly with Werder Bremen.

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=209779#ixzz0x1ofssS3

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/fulham-skipper-murphy-hoping-schwarzer-doesn't-leave-1055171?
Fulham skipper Murphy hoping Schwarzer doesn't leave

Fulham captain Danny Murphy is full of hope that goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer does not leave the club.

The Australian stopper has long been linked with Arsenal with reports that a deal is likely to be completed soon but Murphy hopes that the Cottagers can hold onto the experienced keeper, as well as defender Paul Konchesky, to keep the nucleus of the squad together.

"Obviously when players do well they can move on to bigger and better things - I know Arsenal are chasing Schwarzer and Liverpool are after Konchesky - and I don't know whether we will be able to keep them, it's out of my hands," he said.

"But you can't buy experience and you don't want to be losing key members of your squad."

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/8925695.stm
Fulham sign up AZ Alkmaar striker Moussa Dembele

Fulham have signed 23-year-old forward Moussa Dembele on a three-year deal from Dutch club AZ Alkmaar.

The Belgium international, who arrives for a fee believed to be around £5m, gives the Cottagers some much-needed attacking options.

Bobby Zamora was often used as a lone striker last season as fellow forward Andy Johnson struggled with injuries.

"Moussa is strong and quick and will add another dimension," said Fulham manager Mark Hughes.

Dembele scored 10 goals as Alkmaar won the Dutch league title during the 2008-09 season, finding the net 24 times in 118 league games in four years with the club he joined from Willem II in 2006.

Fulham's approach was enough to see off interest from Premier League rivals Birmingham City.

The forward, who has won 28 caps, resolved to work hard to make a success of his move to England.

"It has always been a dream to play in the Premier League and I will make sure that I make the most of this opportunity," Dembele added.

"I understand that Fulham has a strong squad, so I am prepared to work hard for the Manager and take my chance to impress him, and my team-mates."

Hughes's attempts to secure Wales striker Craig Bellamy on loan from former club Manchester City were foiled when the player opted for Championship side Cardiff instead.

Zoltan Gera was often pushed forward as a foil for Zamora last season after Hughes's predecessor Roy Hodgson allowed strikers Diomansy Kamara and Eddie Johnson to leave Craven Cottage on loan for the second half of the campaign.

WhiteJC

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2010/08/18/liverpool-set-sights-on-16m-manchester-city-pair-as-hodgson-looks-to-spend-potential-mascherano-windfall/
Liverpool Set Sights On £16m Manchester City Pair as Hodgson Looks to Spend Potential Mascherano Windfall

Liverpool are considering a move for Manchester City pair Wayne Bridge and Roque Santa Cruz. Roy Hodgson is willing hoping to re-invest any potential incoming funds from the sale of Javier Mascherano and Emiliano Insua to bring in the Eastlands pair who do not appear to have a first team future at Eastlands.

Roberto Mancini is looking to trim his squad ahead of naming his 25 man Premier League squad and is looking to release some more of his ever expanding squad on loan but is willing to listen to decent offers for some of his players, including the England full back Bridge who has now fallen down the pecking order at the club.

Roque Santa Cruz only arrived at the club last summer for a fee of £17.5m but Man City may well accept offers of around £10m for the 29 year old and Roy Hodgson is keen to bring in new attacking options and is said to be a big admirer of the former Bayern Munich and Blackburn Rovers man who only managed six Premier League starts last season and is likely to see even less action this term.

Bridge would cost far less and would help resolve the left back problem the Merseyside club currently finds itself in. Daniel Agger had to fill in against Arsenal and Hodgson is keen to bring in a new full back as soon as possible.

Both players would probably jump at the chance of a new challenge and the only obstacle to such a move could be Mancini's unwillingness to hand over his players to potential rivals to a top four finish.

WhiteJC

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1878610?UserKey=
Wenger urged to move for Schwarzer
Published: 19/08/2010

ARSENAL legend David Seaman feels signing Australian goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer could be the difference between success and another season of failure for the Gunners.

Arsene Wenger looks set to move for the wantaway Fulham stopper, who is reported to have handed in a transfer request after the Cottagers rejected a £2million summer bid.

Current Arsenal number one Manuel Almunia captained the side in the opening game of the new English Premier League season at Liverpool, where a fine late save from Steven Gerrard's free kick helped secure a dramatic 1-1 draw after an own goal from Reds' goalkeeper Pepe Reina.

However, the Spaniard admits the constant speculation has been unsettling and will consider his own future if an experienced goalkeeper such as Schwarzer was brought in.

Seaman, though, believes Almunia and his deputy Lukasz Fabianski have cost his old club dear with high-profile errors.

The 46-year-old former England number one said: "Both Almunia and Fabianski did not end the season well. They both made mistakes in high-profile games that effectively cost them the chance of some silverware.

"It means if the quality of someone like Mark Schwarzer becomes available, then Arsene needs to look at him.

"He is a great player, tried and tested and can make saves that win you games. He is a world-class goalkeeper."

Read more: http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1878610?UserKey=#ixzz0x2BQsWRS

WhiteJC

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/194091/Shay-Given-ready-to-go
SHAY GIVEN READY TO GO

SHAY GIVEN is ready to quit Manchester City after receiving a Europa League snub from Roberto Mancini.

Given travelled to Romania for the qualifier against minnows Timisoara tonight believing he would get the chance to prove why he should be No1 at Eastlands.

But he was amazed to discover that Joe Hart will again start in goal, leaving him fuming and considering asking for a loan to Arsenal or Fulham. The Gunners are close to signing Mark Schwarzer from Fulham, who would in turn need a new goalkeeper and Given would be open to moving to either.

A source close to Given said: "Shay is confused and torn over what to do. He only joined City 18 months ago and wanted to win things after 10 years at Newcastle. And he doesn't see Mancini leaving Hart out now, ev en if he makes a mistake. Shay is watching the situation at Arsenal, while at Fulham, a loan might be something he would consider but he's finding it really difficult to know whatto do. The last thing he wants to do is risk his place in the Ireland team, as he knows they have a great chance of qualifying for Euro 2012."

Mancini added: "Joe Hart will play. I had a very diffi cult choice to make before our opening game at Spurs on Saturday. That is because I have two world-class keepers. It is difficult for one of them to sit on the bench. I respect Shay a lot. He is a good man and I want him to stay, but I also understand any decision he might make."

City completed the signing of James Milner yesterday in a deal worth £26million, with Stephen Ireland moving to Aston Villa.

Ireland said: "I have plenty of personal ambitions. I want to get back to playing the way I can. I haven't played 90 minutes in nearly eight or nine months, which is not normal for me."

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/08/19/2077461/fulham-want-carlos-vela-plus-cash-from-arsenal-in-exchange?
Fulham Want Carlos Vela Plus Cash From Arsenal In Exchange For £4m Mark Schwarzer
Craven Cottage club enquire about Gunners' fringe players as talks continue...

EXCLUSIVE
Fulham have asked for Arsenal striker Carlos Vela plus cash from the Gunners in exchange for Mark Schwarzer.

The two London clubs have reached deadlock in their negotiations because Arsenal are unwilling to match Fulham's £4 million valuation of the 37-year-old goalkeeper.

Arsenal had a £2m bid rejected for Schwarzer in May and have not made a further offer, although it is understood that the two clubs are still in talks.

"They have different valuations of Schwarzer," a source close to the transfer told Goal.com.

"Arsenal don't want to pay the £4m that Fulham want but one possibility is a player exchange deal to push it through."

It is understood that several Arsenal fringe players have been mentioned and Fulham, who are keen to bolster their forward ranks despite the signing of forward Moussa Dembele from AZ Alkmaar on Wednesday, have enquired about Vela among others.

Arsenal are likely to value the Mexican international far beyond a £2m makeweight, even though the 21-year-old is running out of time to make his mark at the club.

A deal has also been held up because the west Londoners have been unable to secure a proven goalkeeper to replace Schwarzer. An offer was made to David James but the former England No.1 made the surprise decision to drop a division and move to Championship club Bristol City.

Vela has made more appearances for his country than he has for Arsenal in the Premier League (25, including only three starts) and has scored just eight goals for the club since his 2006 switch from his homeland, although he did spend two seasons on loan in Spain.

Despite the sticking points in Arsenal's pursuit of Schwarzer, who handed in a transfer request last week and was not picked for Fulham's opening Premier League fixture against Bolton Wanderers, both sides expect the deal to eventually be completed before the end of the transfer window.

Fulham manager Mark Hughes is continuing to look at forward options after his pursuit of Craig Bellamy failed.

Hughes has been widely linked with a move for another forward he managed at Manchester City and Blackburn Rovers, Roque Santa Cruz, but sources say he is not expected to pursue the Paraguayan because of concerns over his injury record.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/08/19/2077501/shay-given-willing-to-quit-manchester-city-while-pondering?
Shay Given Willing To Quit Manchester City While Pondering Switch To Arsenal Or Fulham - Report

Manchester City goalkeeper Shay Given is reportedly willing to walk away from the club, owing to his situation at Eastlands.

The former Newcastle United shot-stopper is thought to have made the trip to Romania in the hope of getting a look in during the game against Timisoara in a Europa League qualifier that takes place during the mid-week.

Now the Daily Express claims that Given is livid with his situation, after learning that Joe Hart would be the one to start the game.

It has also been reported that the 34-year-old is now thinking about a loan move to either Arsenal or Fulham.

The Gunners have been chasing Mark Schwarzer, and offered the veteran a player-coach deal. And depending on whether or not this potential move reaches fruition, a vacancy could exist at either club, and Given is expected to be interested.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/DaviesManUnitedPreview.aspx?
Davies Sets Sights on United

Simon Davies is hoping that Fulham can continue their recent excellent home record against Manchester United on Sunday. Craven Cottage has been far from a happy hunting ground for Alex Ferguson's men of late – with the last two league meetings between the two sides seeing Fulham running out three-nil and two-nil winners.

"It's what we play football for, to test ourselves against the best and Manchester United are the best," Davies told fulhamfc.com. "We've had a couple of great wins over them in the last few seasons so hopefully we can continue that run. It's going to be a very difficult game but it's one we look forward to."

Having previously played under Fulham Manager Mark Hughes with Wales, Davies is certainly familiar with the new manager's methods.

"I was lucky enough to have him as my first manager with Wales," Davies said. "He was a hero for all of the young Welsh lads growing up and I was no different. To play under him with Wales was great and now that he's at Fulham it's a great honour to work under him.

"He's very professional and really knows what he wants from his players. He works us hard in training; he wants us to be quite a dynamic team, fit and strong. I think he wants us to be a bit more expansive – by that I mean he wants us to attack teams a bit more – but without losing the discipline we've built up. It's going to be exciting and hopefully he can take us on to the next level.

"We've finished seventh and 12th in the last few years, if we can finish anywhere between those two positions it would be great first season for the Manager and the Team. The Premier League is still a very tough league and we're very aware of that – we're very mindful of not thinking we're better than we are. It's important that the fans realise that, just because we got to the Europa League Final doesn't mean we're guaranteed to do well in the Premier League.

"To be fair to the Manager, it's one thing that he's pointed out straight away. We got to the Final last season because of a lot of hard work, fighting spirit and team spirit. We're not going to roll teams over most weeks because we never did that last year, we had some tight games with some late goals. The foundation of our success was built on hard graft. We're an organised, well-drilled team. With the Manager getting us to be a bit more attacking it could be quite exciting."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/DaviesManUnitedPreview.aspx?#ixzz0x2SzkVh0

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6322783,00.html?
Murphy issues Hughes warning
Skipper tells new boss to act fast on player contracts

Fulham captain Danny Murphy has urged new boss Mark Hughes to secure the long-term futures of his existing players.

The first-team squad Hughes inherited from Roy Hodgson this summer includes up to seven players who have less than a year remaining on their deals.

Goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer is expected to join Arsenal before the end of the transfer window, while left-back Paul Konchesky could be poised for a reunion with Hodgson at Liverpool.

And 33-year-old skipper Murphy, who has been at Craven Cottage since 2007, has called on Hughes to make player contracts a primary focus if he wants to avoid an exodus at the club.

"Strangely enough, and I don't know why the club has let it happen, but seven or eight of the squad are into the last year of their contracts," Murphy told the Daily Mirror.

Difficult

"I don't think that's particularly healthy, and not many clubs allow that to happen. I think it's important that we get it sorted as a club because it is difficult for players to be having a year left on their contracts.

"It's different for me because I'm a bit older and, when you reach my age, you start doing it year by year, but for a lot of the other lads it's an unsettling time - you have other clubs coming in for them and you worry about getting injured with only a year left on your contract.

"New additions are all very well and good, but I think we need to get the players with a year left tied down and keep as many of the squad together as possible.

"Obviously when players do well they can move on to bigger and better things - I know Arsenal are chasing Schwarzer and Liverpool are after Konchesky - and I don't know whether we will be able to keep them, it's out of my hands.

"But you can't buy experience and you don't want to be losing key members of your squad."

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6322791/Mancini-clears-trio-to-leave-City?
Mancini clears trio to leave City

Manchester City manager Roberto Mancini has given three of his players the green light to depart Eastlands if they request to leave.

The Italian boss said earlier this week that he would be open to the exit of goalkeeper Shay Given - linked with Arsenal, Fulham and Celtic - after favouring Joe Hart for the number one jersey for City's Premier League opener at Tottenham and Thursday's Europa League clash against FC Timisoara.

And he has now said, although he values the services of Robinho and Roque Santa Cruz, he would not stand in their way.

Brazilian Robinho is attracting interest from Besiktas, Fenerbahce and Schalke, while Paraguay star Santa Cruz is being monitored by Fulham and West Ham, and neither player is likely to be content with a spot on the fringes of the City first team this term.

"If Robinho, Shay or Roque want to stay, I'm happy because they are fantastic players, but it is most important the players are happy," Mancini told the Times.

Mancini also added that the future of Robinho is likely to be decided within the next "five or six days".

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/42408/Suitor_reveals_Given_intent_If_it_was_a_possibility_then_of_course.aspx?
Suitor reveals Given intent: "If it was a possibility then of course"

Celtic boss Neil Lennon would jump at the chance to sign Manchester City goalkeeper Shay Given, should the Premier League veteran decide to leave Eastlands.

The 34-year-old has been strongly linked with Arsenal and Fulham, following Roberto Mancini's decision to promote Joe Hart as his number one, but Lennon appears likely to oppose Arsene Wenger and Mark Hughes in any likely transfer tussle.

Arsenal are reportedly keen on Fulham's Mark Schwarzer and reports suggest Mark Hughes would like to bring Given to Craven Cottage as the 38-year-old's replacement, should the Australian engineer his move to the Emirates. The Gunners have also been linked with Given, since it became apparent he was not assured of a starting berth at Manchester City, but any prospective suitor can expect to face competition from Celtic.

Speaking about the prospects of signing Given, Lennon told Sky Sports: "If it was a possibility then of course,
"He's one of the best keepers in the Premier League.

"We've been linked with a lot of players and there's been speculation on a lot of players.

"I don't really want to comment on players coming in or going out. I'm just concentrating on the game on Thursday."

White Noise

http://www.southlondon-today.co.uk/Sport.cfm?id=29205&headline=Palace

Palace land ex-Fulham keeper

Thursday, 19 August 2010

PALACE boss George Burley has signed former Fulham keeper Wesley Foderingham on a two- year contract.

The 19-year-old goalkeeper, who has featured at England U19 level, will join Bromley with immediate effect on a two-month loan.

Foderingham had trained with Palace during pre-season and turned in a man-of-the-match display against them in Bromley's 0-0 friendly draw in July.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/08/theres-no-business-like-football-business/?
There's no business like football business
by TOR on AUGUST 19, 2010

It's getting busy up at the Cottage for the last fortnight of the summer transfer window. Mark Hughes is hinting that he might be about to splash some more of the Chairman's cash. On speaking about yesterday arrival of Dembele, Hughes said;

I look forward to working with him, and to hopefully, a few more additions before the window closes.

No hints about who it might be, so we're back to relying on the back pages of the national press. First up, us and Arsenal are leading the chase for Shay Given who has been granted a green light by Mancini to leave Eastlands, no doubt on the basis of Joe Hart's performance against Spurs last weekend. This is good news for us either way: if Arsenal get Given, we (I assume) get to keep Schwarzer. Or we end up with a shiny new goalkeeper who's not bad at all actually. Everyone's a winner.

According to some of the press, Hughes is still playing hardball and asking Arsenal for striker Carlos Vela plus some cash in exchange for Schwarzer's services. This would further bolster our attacking options along with Dembele.

No news (rumoured or otherwise) on any more defensive or midfield cover though, which is a shame as I think we're looking a bit thin in those areas now. No offence to poor old Senderos but we can't wait for him to recover from his injury. Still, much can happen in 2 weeks and clubs are still pondering who will make their 25-man squads – whether or not there will be any more "victims" of the new rules remains to be seen.

In the meantime, Captain Dan has been urging Hughes to consider the existing squad, several of whom are into the last year of their contracts. Eeeek. Danny rightly says;

Strangely enough, and I don't know why the club has let it happen, but seven or eight of the squad are into the last year of their contracts.

I don't think that's particularly healthy, and not many clubs allow that to happen. I think it's important that we get it sorted as a club because it is difficult for players to be having a year left on their contracts.

He added;

New additions are all very well and good, but I think we need to get the players with a year left tied down and keep as many of the squad together as possible.

Wise words indeed. It may be that Hughes is concentrating on transfer activity now, and will look at extending contracts once the immediacy of the transfer window has passed. Let's hope so anyway.

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/42419/Squillaci_on_verge_of_Arsenal_deal_with_Schwarzer_to_follow.aspx
Squillaci on verge of Arsenal deal with Schwarzer to follow

Spanish club Sevilla have confirmed that Arsenal have lodged an offer for French stopper Sebastien Squillaci as Arsene Wenger steps up his efforts to sign defensive reinforcements.

Reports circulating last night suggested Arsenal were considering a bid for the 30-year-old defender and the initial speculation has now been reinforced with Sevilla confirming that an emergency board meeting, involving club president Jose Maris del Nido, will take place to discuss the possible deal.

Speaking about the developments Sevilla director Ramon Gonzalez revealed:
"We must analyse everything very well because it would be necessary to add another player for the team and now the market is drawing to a close."

News of Arsenal's interest in Squillaci has been further enforced with esteemed French football correspondent Philippe Auclair confirming that a deal looks set to be sealed in the coming days before Wenger turns his attention to Fulham's Mark Schwarzer.

Speaking to talkSPORT, Auclair revealed:
"It isn't done yet but it filtered through this afternoon that Sebastien Squillaci would be joining Arsenal.

"It seems to be a very, very solid story indeed, even though nothing has been done. We are still at the negotiation phase. That would be almost the final piece in the jigsaw, just a keeper to come and then the recruitment of Arsenal would be over for the summer.

"He played for Lyon, but he's been more of a regular for Sevilla where he's been excellent. He's had a couple of injury problems but on the other hand he was also a regular in that team. He was one of the key members of that team and has 20 caps for France.

"He's an experienced player which is what Wenger would want for somebody to partner Thomas Vermaelen because Laurent Koscielny would be the number three [defender] at the club."

Squillaci is expected to cost the Gunners in the region of £6 million while 37-year-old Schwarzer could cost the north London club a further £2.5 million.

WhiteJC

http://www.sportingpreview.com/prem_news/10110051.php?
SHAY GIVEN TO SIGN FOR FULHAM?
Skybet: 19 August 2010

Following Roberto Mancini's comments that Shay Given is free to leave Eastlands, Sky Bet make Fulham the 5/4 favourites to sign the Irish International.

It's understood that Given is unhappy after losing out on the number one jersey to Joe Hart and it's 2/1 for the 34-year-old to sign for Celtic and 4/1 Arsenal.

Mancini also went on to say that he won't stand in the way of Robinho or Roque Santa Cruz leaving Eastlands, should the pair wish to leave.

Sky Bet make Besiktas the 2/1 favourites to sign Brazilian striker Robinho with Germany side Schalke 5/2 and Italian giants Inter Milan 4/1.

Santa Cruz has been linked with a move to join up with his former manager Mark Hughes at Craven Cottage. It's 9/4 for Fulham to sign the Paraguay international and 5/2 Marseille.

Sky Bet's Tim Reynolds said: "Given was instrumental for City last season so it's not surprising to see the 34-year-old wants regular first team football this season. After the Bellamy transfer, it will be interesting to see if Mancini allows the Irish international to join a Premier League club, should the player decide to leave."

Shay Given to join by the end of 2010 Summer Transfer Window

Fulham 5/4
Celtic 2/1
Arsenal 4/1

Roque Santa Cruz To Join by The End Of The Transfer Window

Fulham 9/4

Blackburn 10/1
Tottenham 12/1

Robinho to join by the end of 2010 Summer Transfer Window

Besiktas 2/1
Fenerbahce 4/1
Barcelona 14/1

WhiteJC

http://www.uxbridgegazette.co.uk/west-london-sport/hayesandyeading/2010/08/19/ex-fulham-full-back-relishing-grimsby-town-test-113046-27095630/?
Ex-Fulham full-back relishing Grimsby Town test

ADAM GREEN says Saturday's daunting trip to Grimsby offers the perfect chance for his side to bounce back from their midweek misery.

The Hayes & Yeading full-back offered no excuses for Tuesday night's 5-0 thrashing at Eastbourne Borough, but he has urged his team-mates to put the shocker behind them at Blundell Park.

A bumper gate of over 5,000 watched Grimsby's midweek 0-0 draw at home to York City and Green, who gained a tasted of the big time during his stint at Fulham, is relishing the challenge.

"I would rather be playing in front of a big crowd at Grimsby than going to Southport," he said. "These are the big games that we want to play in and it should lift us, we should enjoy the chance and hopefully we can raise our games.

"It will be a very hard game for us, but we will be working hard in training and we have to put Tuesday's result right."

The 26-year-old is one of the few survivors from last season's regular starting 11 after manager Garry Haylock's summer clear-out and he believes that that the current squad is capable of much better than what they have shown so far.

"It was disappointing because everyone was on a high on Saturday," he added. "We played quite well in the first game, but from what I have seen in training, we are better than that.

"They (Eastbourne) stopped us playing and we could not put two or three passes together. Our strength is passing the ball, but when we could not do it that played into their hands. I get the hump about losing games 1-0 so to lose like that was not nice."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/08/19/mark-schwarzer-s-arsenal-move-hangs-in-the-balance-82029-27096501/?
Mark Schwarzer's Arsenal move hangs in the balance

MARK Schwarzer has been left in limbo by Arsenal - with Fulham insisting last night there has been no fresh bid for their star keeper by the Premier League giants.

Worse still, Schwarzer pulled up lame again during training on Tuesday with his damaged back getting emergency manipulation from keeper coach Kevin Hitchcock while the Aussie World Cup player lay on the grass.

Schwarzer's transfer request last week, together with this latest injury, makes him a serious doubt for Sunday's mouthwatering clash with Manchester United, although the Whites are still ready to play hardball as and when the Gunners finally pick up the phone.

Arsenal offered £2million in May for the 37-year-old. But because Fulham know the keeper is worth anything up to 15 points after his sensational campaign last time around they will insist he is as good as an insurance premium in maintaining the club's Premier League status.

An insider reckoned the ball was in Arsenal's court. "There's enough on everyone's plate in trying to build up the squad without looking to sell the club's better players," said the source.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/England2018BacktheBid.aspx?
England 2018: Back the Bid

England 2018 Vice President David Beckham has given his support to 'Back the Bid week' ahead of the FIFA Inspection Team's arrival in England next week.

Beckham, who launched the Bid at Wembley Stadium in May 2009, has urged the nation to show their support through a series of events and campaigns over the coming days before and during the Inspection Team's technical evaluation of the Bid:

"The support we have had for the bid from the public over the past year has been incredible. Back the Bid Week provides the opportunity for the nation to come together again as a team and try and win the World Cup together," Beckham said.

"I've no doubt that fans from all over the country will unite and show the FIFA Inspection Team the type of passion and festival of football we could create if we staged the world's greatest sporting event."

The FIFA Inspection Team are assessing the technical bids of the countries competing for the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cups™ and will be in England from Monday 23rd until Thursday 26th August.

The inspectors have a packed schedule of visiting stadiums, host cities and receiving presentations.

'Back The Bid Week' is being celebrated at Barclays Premier League matches across the country with special England 2018 activities this weekend.

On Tuesday 24th August, a national 'Wear Your Shirt to Work Day' will be staged to mark 100 days to go until FIFA announces which countries will be awarded the 2018 and 2022 World Cups. Football fans across England are encouraged to show their love of football by wearing their favourite football shirts to work to demonstrate the commitment to the game that exists in this country.

So far, more than 1.5 million people from over 200 countries across the world have already officially shown their support for the bid. Some of the biggest names in sport, entertainment, politics and royalty have Backed the Bid including: HRH Prince William, England captain Rio Ferdinand, Hollywood actor Ray Winstone, Formula One Champs Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button; and musicians Noel Gallagher, Sting and Robbie Williams.

The simplest thing for you to do is to sign up to the campaign by texting ENGLAND to 62018 (or +44786 000 5000 from abroad) or visiting www.england2018bid.com.

England 2018 needs your support so please Back the Bid this week.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/August/England2018BacktheBid.aspx?#ixzz0x3bYYkWH

WhiteJC

http://www.footylatest.com/fulham-playing-hardball-with-arsenal-over-schwarzer/15855?
Fulham playing hardball with Arsenal over Schwarzer

Fulham are doing everything they can to stall the anticipated move of Mark Schwarzer to Arsenal. However, it is now apparent this is a tactic to put the pressure on Arsene Wenger (with the transfer window shutdown almost upon us) in order to 'squeeze' out the maximum gain possible.

First they want double the money Arsenal had offered, and now they want a player AND money to let Schwarzer go play at the Emirates.

"They have different valuations of Schwarzer," stated an unnamed source involved in the deal. "Arsenal don't want to pay the £4m that Fulham want but one possibility is a player exchange deal to push it through." he added in a brief statement to Goal.com

Well, the 'unnamed' source is telling us no secrets here. We all know Arsenal had an improved £2.5m bid foort Schwarzer turned down as well, but the surprise is this: Fulham would want to sign Carlos Vela for the seaon in order to allow Schwarzer to leave. They also want the £2.5m offered by the Gunners.

Although 21 year old Vela is not a regular starter in the Arsenal 1st team squad, he is certainly worth much much more than £1.5m (ok, so maybe he will only go to Fulham on loan, but still..) and most Gooners would feel they're being robbed of the shirts on their backs if the club agrees to letting the intenational Mexican play at the Cottage and still pay money to land Schwarzer, don't you think?