more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff 19.08.10

Started by os5889, August 18, 2010, 11:25:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

Mark Hughes says there's more to come as Fulham pay £5m for Moussa Dembele

Fulham boss Mark Hughes insists the spending has only just started at Fulham after Moussa Dembele became his first signing on Wednesday night - making a £5million switch from AZ Alkmaar.
Hughes is on the look out for more players and said: 'I look forward to working with him, and to hopefully, a few more additions before the window closes.'
The Belgian international striker, 23, has signed a three-year contract and hopes to make his debut in Sunday's home game against Manchester United, but is ready to fight for a first team place.

Attacking options: Striker Moussa Dembele can also play on the wing
Jet-heeled Dembele who was on the brink of joining Birmingham City until Fulham stepped in said: 'It has always been a dream to play in the Premier League and I will make sure that I make the most of this opportunity.
'I understand that Fulham has a strong squad, so I am prepared to work hard for the Manager and take my chance to impress him, and my teammates, when the opportunities arise.'

Eyeing new targets: Fulham boss Mark Hughes
Icelandic striker Eidur Gudjohnsen is still on Fulham's radar and Hughes hopes to sign Algerian World Cup defender Rafik Halliche has been training with the club.
A new goalkeeper will become a priority with Mark Schwarzer close to wrapping up a move to Arsenal.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1304231/Mark-Hughes-says-theres-come-Fulham-pay-5m-Moussa-Dembele.html?ito=feeds-newsxml#ixzz0x00KtiiV

os5889

Murphy urges Fulham to tie down Arsenal and Liverpool targets
Published 23:00 18/08/10 By Mike Walters
Danny Murphy has warned new manager Mark Hughes to act fast on player contracts to avert an exodus at Fulham.

Up to seven members of the first-team squad Hughes inherited from Roy Hodgson at Craven Cottage have fewer than 12 months left on their deals.

Arsenal are expected to sign Aussie international goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer before the transfer window closes in a fortnight, while former England left-back Paul Konchesky is a target for Hodgson at Liverpool.

Skipper Murphy, 33, is among those who are running down the clock - and he has urged Hughes to make contract talks with the old guard a "priority" to prevent a break-up of Hodgson's Europa League heroes last season.

Murphy said: "Strangely enough, and I don't know why the club has let it happen, but seven or eight of the squad are into the last year of their contracts.

"I don't think that's particularly healthy, and not many clubs allow that to happen. I think it's important that we get it sorted as a club because it is difficult for players to be having a year left on their contracts.

"It's different for me because I'm a bit older and, when you reach my age, you start doing it year by year, but for a lot of the other lads it's an unsettling time - you have other clubs coming in for them and you worry about getting injured with only a year left on your contract.

"It's very unusual for a club to let that many players get to 12 months left, so I'm hoping they will start getting sorted as the weeks pass and hopefully the one Simon Davies signed this week will not be the only piece of good news on that front.

"New additions are all very well and good, but I think we need to get the players with a year left tied down and keep as many of the squad together as possible.

"Obviously when players do well they can move on to bigger and better things - I know Arsenal are chasing Schwarzer and Liverpool are after Konchesky - and I don't know whether we will be able to keep them, it's out of my hands.

"But you can't buy experience and you don't want to be losing key members of your squad."

Murphy, speaking at a launch for EA Sports' new FIFA 11 game released on October 1, revealed Hughes had treated him "brilliantly" since taking over at the Cottage last month.

Fulham opened their Premier League campaign with a 0-0 draw at Bolton on Saturday, Schwarzer sitting out the impasse with an alleged back injury while his deputy David Stockdale excelled.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-captain-Danny-Murphy-urges-contract-talks-for-Arsenal-and-Liverpool-transfer-targets-Mark-Schwarzer-and-Paul-Konchesky-article558149.html#ixzz0x00RWV66

os5889

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/438738-why-cant-odd-man-out-robbie-keane-find-a-permanent-home

Why Can't "Odd Man Out" Robbie Keane Find a Permanent Home?

Robbie Keane was once considered one of English football's hottest properties in his younger days with Wolves and Coventry. He's had a good amount of success in his Premier League career and at 11th sits just outside the top 10 all-time EPL scorers, soon to pass Dwight Yorke. Strangely, clubs haven't been knocking down Harry Redknapp's door with offers for the Irishman who isn't considered vital in Tottenham plans.

Keane's reputation was so highly regarded that Inter manager Marcello Lippi splashed out £13m for the striker in the summer of 2000. Lippi was sacked shortly into the season and his replacement, Marco Tardelli relegated Keane to the bench before loaning him to Leeds United that December.

Robbie went on to score an impressive nine goals in 18 Premier League matches during his loan spell and Leeds manager David O'Leary snapped him permanently for £12m. He again found himself on the bench often as Robbie Fowler was signed alongside Mark Viduka.

Keane then joined Tottenham Hotspur shortly into the following season and finally found a club where he was regarded as a main piece of the puzzle and had some terrific seasons in his first stint at White Hart Lane. He became one of the most consistent goal-scorers in the EPL over these six years which eventually led his dream switch to Liverpool in July 2008.

The move soon became a nightmare for Ireland's captain as he had trouble tactically fitting into Liverpool's starting eleven and found himself again resigned to the bench.  Keane had trouble coping with the pressure of playing for his boyhood favourites and justifying the massive £19m fee.

Once he started to find his form in January 2009, Liverpool boss Rafael Benítez decided to drop him ahead of a crucial match against Everton and it became clear that the Spaniard favoured young French striker David N'Gog over Keane.

A month later, Keane re-joined Spurs for an initial fee of £12m. Since his return, he's had varying degrees of success but began to falls down the pecking order especially as Jermain Defoe and Peter Crouch formed a terrific partnership. Russian striker Roman Pavlyuchenko was also ahead of Keane in Redknapp's plans and Celtic made their interest known in the Irishman during the winter transfer window.

Keane agreed to join another club he supported as a boy in Celtic in February 2010. Unlike his time at Liverpool, he quickly became a key player. His time at Parkhead seemed to re-ignite his career as he went on to score 16 goals in 19 appearances. Once his loan expired, Keane looked sharp in Tottenham's preseason matches and in his first leg substitute appearances against Young Boys in the Europa League.

For a man that clubs have a paid a combined £75m and who has scored a total of 121 Premier League goals, it is strange that he is unable to find a club this summer. Celtic boss Neil Lennon would love to have him back at Celtic but the Scottish giants have been tight with their transfer budget.

Aston Villa was considered a strong possibility under Martin O'Neill but the manager walked out on the club recently. Fulham, Sunderland, and Wolves are said to have an interest but none have come up with a firm offer.

Keane again finds himself stuck between a rock and a hard place as he would prefer to stay at Spurs and fight for his place but Redknapp would like to use his sale to bring in a younger striker. Some media outlets have reported that he has been told he's unwanted by Redknapp and he will be on the move again.

It is unclear which club will emerge ready to give his career a lifeline but it's certainly perplexing that he isn't highly sought-after. Robbie may have lost a bit of pace but he's proven to a reliable goal-scorer who has a knack for creativity and link-up play. He's deserving of a chance to finally be given consistent playing time and the chance to work under a manager who believes in his talents.

os5889

http://www.tehrantimes.com/index_View.asp?code=225199

Teymourian likely to join Blackburn in January
Tehran Times Sports Desk

TEHRAN - Iranian midfielder Andranik Teymourian said on Wednesday that he is not allowed to play in the Premier League for not having a work permit but is looking forward to joining the Blackburn Rovers in January.

"Since I am a player from a non-EU country I need having featured in at least 75% of my national team's matches in the past two years. If I had played against Saudi Arabia in the World Cup qualifiers I could have joined Blackburn now," Teymourian said.

"Blackburn coach Sam Allardyce was interested to sign me but according to English rules, I cannot join them yet. The team's officials were satisfied with my performance in their training. Blackburn will likely sign me in the winter transfer window," the 27-year old added.

"And,that is why I am going to join an Iranian or the Emirati team until January. My agent is negotiating with some teams and I will choose my destination within the next two days," the former Fulham player added

os5889

http://www.soccer365.com/english_premiership/story_18810213228.php

EPL Power Rankings- Week 1

The Barclays Premier League kicked off last weekend and if the results from the first weekend are any indication it will be a great campaign.  Soccer 365's John McGregor gives his take on how the teams line up after their openers.

Chelsea- Last year's champion started right where they left off. Didier Drogba and Frank Lampard seem to be over their disappointing World Cups and Chelsea looks to be the definite favorite to start the campaign.

Manchester United- The question every Manchester United fan must be asking this point is when will Wayne Rooney rediscover his goal scoring form. United will need him to regain his scoring touch as they look for another goal scoring option.

Arsenal- Normally a draw is a successful result when going into Anfield, but Arsenal will feel that they left points on the table after being up a man for 45 minutes. The match did show how important Cesc Fabregas' return is, as the midfield was comfortable in possession but lacked the penetration that the captain often provides.

Tottenham- Tottenham is another team that will be disappointed with a draw in their opening match. Despite the draw, they were clearly the better team for all 90 minutes. While they dominated in possession, they were unable to figure out a way to get past Joe Hart in goal.

Liverpool- Despite Pepe Reina's last minute error, Liverpool fans must be pleased with a point against Arsenal after Joe Cole's red card right before halftime. The development of David N'Gog has been a major plus for the club this year as they wait for Fernando Torres to return to fitness.

Manchester City- Facing a difficult season opener, a fantastic Joe Hart rescued City and won them a point. England's new number 1 was the best player on the field and cemented his spot above Shay Given in the pecking order at City. The midfield, however, lacked cohesion and struggled to link with the forwards.

Aston Villa- It looked like Villa would be a prime candidate for self-destructing before their opening win over West Ham. New manager Kevin MacDonald led a confident team, which deserved to win by more than the 3-0 margin.

Everton- If there is one thing Everton fans can normally count on, it is the consistent play of keeper Tim Howard. It was his mistake however, that conceded the early goal from which they never recovered. It was the attack that was the most troubling, as it took over 90 minutes of play to even produce a save out of the Blackburn keeper.

Sunderland- In one of the weekends most exciting matches, Sunderland squandered a two goal first half lead against Birmingham City. There was also a first half red card issued to captain Lee Cattermole, a continuance of last year's poor disciplinary record.

Birmingham City- After going down two goals in the first half against Sunderland, Birmingham City came back to rescue a point. New signing Nikola Zigic had an impressive debut, causing constant problems for Sunderland's backline.

Fulham- Under new manager Mark Hughes, Fulham looked to be the better side in their 0-0 draw with Bolton. The attack looked stronger as the match progressed, but they were unable to unlock the Bolton defense. Fulham should improve as Hughes tries to figure out how to get the best out of his new personnel.

Blackburn- Living up to their reputation, Blackburn put forth a solid, consistent effort and made life difficult for favored Everton. While Blackburn may not wow you with attractive attacking football, they are efficient at getting results. The defense was able to stifle the Everton attack with strong, organized play.

Bolton- Bolton will be happy with getting a point in their opening match against Fulham. While the side seemed low on attacking options, the young central midfield pairing of Holden and Muamba was effective in keeping possession and controlling the center of the field.

Wolverhampton- Any win for Wolverhampton is a cause for celebration at this point, and their 2-1 win against Stoke was no exception. Wolves looked solid throughout the match, and the final result was deserved.

Blackpool- The biggest shock of first weekend was Blackpool's thrashing of Wigan. Picked by everyone to be relegated, Pool came out and dominated a very poor Wigan side. While next weeks match at Arsenal should prove to be a more difficult affair, Blackpool appears to be a team who is ready to put up a fight to stay in the top flight.

Wigan- Wigan's display against Blackpool can only be described as pathetic. The result was certainly no fluke, as Wigan's defense looked disorganized and the attack disinterested right from the outset. Roberto Martinez has quite the task ahead of him if he plans to rectify the situation.

Newcastle- After a promising start to their match with Manchester United, Newcastle seemed to wilt under the pressure after conceding the first goal. Newcastle certainly has the talent to be a mid-table team, but there is a lot of pressure on the side after spending last year in the Championship.

West Ham- West Ham was always second best to Villa in a match where that was certainly to be expected. Dominated in all three phases of the game, West Ham look to be a side early in the season that will struggle to stay above the relegation line.

Stoke- After a promising start, Stoke seemed to fall apart once new signing Kenwyne Jones went down to a vicious tackle in the 14th minute. Stoke's defense was undone by  the attacking play of Wolves, which could be a foreboding sign of things to come.

West Brom- Being nothing more than a speed bump for league leaders Chelsea, not much can be taken from West Brom's opening match. It will be interesting to see how West Brom react to playing teams a little closer to them in the table.

os5889

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/438615-transfer-talk-the-latest-moves-in-world-football#page/3

Transfer Talk: The Latest Moves In World Football
By Jonathan Woo (Contributor) on August 18, 2010

Moussa Dembélé, AZ Alkmaar to Fulham

Fulham quietly continues to build a formidable squad to put on the pitch, and the recent addition of Dembélé from Dutch side AZ Alkmaar to Craven Cottage does just that.

Though he will compete with the likes of Bobby Zamora and Andy Johnson for a first choice selection in the final third, he can bring a spark to a Fulham side that hasn't be spectacular in the past few seasons.

His pace, one-touch scampers and skillful finishing are a plus for a club that netted just 39 goals last year.

os5889

MARK HUGHES snapped up Moussa Dembele for £5million - then insisted he has not finished spending yet.

The Belgium striker, 23, penned a three-year deal at Fulham after moving from AZ Alkmaar.
Dembele hit 24 goals in 128 games for the Dutch side.
And Hughes plans to bolster his squad further before the transfer window slams shut on August 31.
Boss Sparky said: "I'm glad we have finalised the deal with Moussa Dembele.
"It is important we add strength and depth to enable us to compete.
"Moussa is strong and quick and will add another dimension to our attacking options.
"I look forward to working with him, and with a few more additions."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3102011/Fulham-boss-Mark-Hughes-has-snapped-up-Moussa-Dembele-for-5million.html#ixzz0x01fQijL

os5889

Fulham - Stockdale Takes the Honours!

With a point gained, on the road, from our first fixture in the 2010/2011 Premier League season, we asked you to vote for your man-of-the-match.

It came as no surprise to see that by a landslide you had voted for David Stockdale as your victor with 64%opting to choose our young stopper.

Following behind in second and third places were Bobby Zamora and Clint Dempsey with 12% and 11% respectively.

Our latest poll asks you to vote on how you feel about Mark Hughes first signing, use your vote wisely!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=209780#ixzz0x01lJkJ4

os5889

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/who-would-want-to-be-a-young-star-at-chelsea-2056139.html

Who would want to be a young star at Chelsea?

After signing young talents from around the world, Ancelotti seems intent on consigning them to the margins

Neymar, the prodigious young Brazilian striker whom Chelsea are so keen to sign, was put on the spot earlier this week at a sponsor's event in his homeland. Asked about the interest shown by the Premier League champions, the 18-year-old's reply identified an issue that may come to haunt Chelsea. "I don't know if I'll stay or go. But leaving the country to end up in the reserves doesn't interest me, it would be better to stay here."

With that comment the Santos boy hit the nail on the head – why warm the bench at Chelsea while Didier Drogba and Nicolas Anelka rattle in the goals, when he could be perfectly happy in the state of Sao Paulo?

Whether Neymar signs for Chelsea or not, this is a key season in the development of the Premier League champions. For the past few months they have been making much of their current crop of young players, such as Gaël Kakuta, Jeffrey Bruma and Patrick van Aanholt, and of how they are all going to get their chance this season. But until that happens, and one of the youngsters from their expensively assembled academy goes on to claim a regular starting place, they will continue to be dogged by their dismal record in promoting young talent.

Related articles
Chelsea told to pay £29m or miss out on Brazil prodigy
Search the news archive for more stories
Neymar, who marked his Brazilian international debut with a goal last week, is right to worry about getting into the current Chelsea team. He is one of the most talented young prospects in the world, but Chelsea already have on their books one of the most talented prospects in the world: Kakuta, who just a few weeks ago was voted the best player at the Under-19 European Championships in France.

The 19-year-old attacking midfielder was hailed by many observers as the undoubted star of the tournament, scoring twice and setting up the winning goal for Alexandre Lacazette in France's 2-1 final victory over Spain. Kakuta's brilliance was later recognised when he was awarded the Golden Player award by Uefa.

However, he has found it hard to get a game at Stamford Bridge, where competition for places in midfield means he comes low down the Blues' pecking order, behind a long list of established, experienced international names like Frank Lampard, Michael Essien, John Obi Mikel, Florent Malouda and Yuri Zhirkov.

Kakuta was not in the squad when Chelsea kicked off their title defence at home to West Bromwich Albion, amid reports Champions League runners-up Bayern Munich want to take him on loan and put him straight into the team. Sources at Chelsea say the Frenchman, renowned for his ability to dribble at pace and for a wonderful left foot, will be used more regularly this season than last, when he made just one start and three substitute appearances.

Kakuta's chances of a prolonged run in the first team looked to have improved earlier in the summer, when the club decided to release two first-team regulars in Joe Cole and Michael Ballack. The Premier League champions then spent £6.6m on Yossi Benayoun and £18.3m on the Brazilian Ramires as the midfield was reinforced again.

Chelsea have been saying all the right things recently. Manager Carlo Ancelotti has repeatedly made it clear that he will be leaning on players from Chelsea's academy this season, and stated last week for instance that Dutch teenager Bruma will be promoted to replace Ricardo Carvalho, who was sold to Real Madrid.

He also recently called Kakuta "the future of Chelsea" and said he has great hopes for the boy. Ancelotti also blooded two of the club's FA Youth Cup-winning team – Josh McEachran and Billy Clifford – during pre-season.

But the only way players can fully develop their talent is through prolonged exposure to the first team, not 10-minute cameos or the odd appearance in a pre-season friendly. This season we will see if Ancelotti is as good as his word and picks the youngsters, and if these players are as good as he says they are.

His rivals have already turned to youth this season. Last weekend Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger was happy to pick England's newest full international Jack Wilshere for the club's vital game at Liverpool, while Sir Alex Ferguson gave 22-year-old Javier Hernandez the last 27 minutes of Manchester United's opening game against Newcastle.

They are two managers with long records of spotting talent, nurturing it, and then helping it develop into something spectacular. On Tuesday Ferguson spoke of the benefits that can be derived from taking a young player and teaching him good habits. "It is one of the important policies at the club that we identify young players who can grow into the club and develop," he said. "I feel it is the right policy for Manchester United. We are good at producing our own young players."

In contrast, Chelsea are not. The last player to emerge from their youth team or academy to become a first-team regular was John Terry, more than a decade ago. In the past five years the club has spent more than £50m spotting the best young talent in Europe, but so far without tangible reward.

In November 2005 Chelsea believed they had unearthed a gem in 16-year-old Serbian defender Slobodan Rajkovic who cost £3.8m. He has spent the past three seasons on loan to clubs in Europe and last week his appeal for a work permit that would have sealed a move to Fulham was turned down.

Great things were also expected of Scott Sinclair, when he signed from Bristol Rovers for £250,000 in 2005. Last month he was sold to Swansea City for £500,000 after having been sent on loan to six different clubs. Argentine striker Franco Di Santo is another to arrive for a large sum – in his case £3m from Chilean side Audax Italiano – but fail to impress. He scored once on loan at Blackburn last season and is still looking for a new club.

Chelsea are determined to change that trend, and are emphatic about their intention to promote young talent. Ancelotti said last week: "We have young players who are involved in the squad but we have to be patient. It's impossible to ask them to show immediately the quality to be strong, to show personality, to show character because they are young players. So we have to be patient and work them slowly, slowly."

Yet actions speak louder than words and Chelsea's poor record in promoting young players is hardly the greatest advertisement when they are trying to convince a young talent like Neymar to join.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/news/3376/goalcom-scouting/2010/08/18/2076494/everything-you-need-to-know-about-fulham-signing-moussa?
Everything You Need To Know About Fulham Signing Moussa Dembele
Goal.com runs the rule over the Premier League's new Belgian star...

Fulham have finally completed the signing of AZ's 23-year-old Belgian international striker Moussa Dembele for a fee reported to be around €6 million. After a prolonged set of negotiations, will he prove to be the player to launch a successful new post-Hodgson era on the banks of the Thames?

Dembele is a player who has long been earmarked for the top since his days as a youngster at his home city club of Germinal Beerschot and then at Willem II Tilburg, from whom AZ have also signed several players such as HSV and Oranje stalwart Joris Mathijsen and former Wigan midfielder Denny Landzaat. In his first season, he was under the tutelage of veteran striker Shota Arveladze, who would go on to become AZ assistant manager and with the prolific Danny Koevermans finding the net with regularity there was little pressure on Dembele to carry the team's attacking hopes on his shoulders.

An early highlight in his career was his superbly taken goal in the Dutch Cup final of 2007 in the opening five minutes. Taking down a Kew Jaliens ball forward, he left the now Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen for dead before fiercely striking the ball home with aplomb past Maarten Stekelenburg. AZ lost the final in controversial circumstances and ended up trophyless. Their dramatic late-season collapse was the precursor to a horror season in 2007-08 when the club finished 11th in the Eredivisie and Dembele had a particularly difficult time personally. Without Koevermans and Arveladze, he scored a mere four goals in 29 appearances. Therein lies the eternal question surrounding Dembele, do his lack of goals preclude him from fulfilling his undoubted potential?

He scored a very creditable 10 goals as AZ lifted their second Eredivisie title in 2008-09 as he responded to manager Louis van Gaal's call that he increase his output in order to help the side climb back up the table. Everyone of course focuses on his slalom goal against former side Willem II for which he received international attention. I actually suffered the unfortunate fate of missing the goal live as my coach was delayed! Whilst he cannot be expected to repeat such a strike, the goal does reveal Dembele's true strengths as a player, which complement any goals he does contribute.

Dembele is a fantastic player in what the Dutch call the kleine ruimte, or tight spaces. He has the ability to turn defenders and leave them trailing in the wake of his considerable bursts of speed. Allied to his imposing physical strength, he is able to relieve a great deal of pressure from the defence and he is extremely adept at bringing others into play. With the form of Brazilian striker Ari, Dembele often found himself out on the right that season and Mark Hughes will undoubtedly look to tap into his versatility, particularly in the more demanding fixtures. He scored several vital goals in 2008-09 cutting in from the right hand side and forged a formidable striking duo with Mounir El Hamdaoui that was as much cultivated in their off-field friendship as on the training ground, reminiscent of Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke.

Mark Hughes was a fine striker in his playing days and his career has seen him get the best out of strikers such as Craig Bellamy and Roque Santa Cruz. One area he will look to work on with the young Belgian is his aerial ability, for despite standing six feet tall, he rarely scores with his head. Furthermore, he will have to become a more clinical finisher as his likely strike partner Bobby Zamora is no Didier Drogba when it comes to the topscorers' list. His miss from close range in a UEFA Cup quarter-final against Werder Bremen springs to mind, as it ultimately cost AZ what would have been a vital first leg lead to take to Germany.

The acquisition of Dembele is something of a coup for Fulham as he has been heavily linked with moves to both Milan clubs since his double against the Italians in the 2008 Olympic quarter-final in a 3-2 win for the Belgians. He has also shone at international level and boss Georges Leekens will not be unhappy that yet another member of his squad will be plying his trade in one of Europe's big three leagues. Make no mistake, this grounded young star of Malian origin will be straining every sinew to ensure his time in west London is a resounding success. I dare say it won't be too long before we hear the strains of "Moussa, Moussa, Moussa Dembeleeee, Dembeleeeeeee, Dembeleeeeeeee" at the Cottage.

WhiteJC

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football/42393/Schwarzer_deal_on_hold_until_Fulham_find_replacement.aspx?
Schwarzer deal on hold until Fulham find replacement

Sport.co.uk understands that the transfer of Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer from Craven Cottahe to Arsenal will be given the green light by the lilywhites when manager Mark Hughes has found a replacement for the bug Australian.

Sources confirmed today that Hughes will allow Schwarzer to complete a move across London, but only when he has identified a replacement to move to Craven Cottage.

Number 2 David Stockdale impressed on the opening day against Bolton Wanderers, however the Welshman feels he must bring in a more experienced stopper to the West London club.

Arsene Wenger has tracked Mark Schwarzer since the beginning of the summer with the Aussie being the Frenchman's first choice recruit this summer. The Gunner's boss has been looking to sign a senior stopper at the club with Polish duo of Lukasz Fabianski and Woiciech Szzcesny deemed to in-expereinced to challenge for the number 1 jersey,

Wenger has been linked with a number of stopper's this summer, including most recently Manchester City goalkeeper Shay Given however the Eastlands club are unwilling to sell the 34-year-old Republic of Ireland international to a rival club. It is now understood that Mark Hughes could try and tempt Given to west London, while Celtic manager Neil Lennon has also impressed interest.

Schwarzer, 37, rose to prominence when he move to England with Bradford City, impressing for the club sealing a switch to Middlesbrough. During his tenure in the north east Schwarzer made 367 appearances, winning the League Cup in 2004 as well as finishing runner-up in the UEFA Cup in 2006, The big Australian finished runner-up again with Fulham earlier this year.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=209766
Fulham - How Are Cardiff Getting Away With It?
Now this may seem like a case of sour grapes but I can assure you it is not!

It is in fact a plea for an understanding into how Cardiff City can, apparently, pull a fast one when it comes to financial irregularities.

Announcing that they had signed Craig Bellamy on a season long loan yesterday, thereby ending our hopes of getting the player, it turns put that they`ll be paying (if the papers are correct) half of his salary with Manchester City paying the other half.

Now you might feel that Cardiff have done a decent deal when you consider that Manchester City will still have to pay approximately £1.5 million for a player who will not wear their colours this season.

That is until you work out that Cardiff City will also be paying out a similar amount!

Now the reason I point this out is that whilst Cardiff may be giving themselves a pat on the back today, spare a thought for Motherwell.

The Scottish club are having to take possible legal action against Cardiff to get a transfer payment Cardiff owe them for one of their players.

It`s a financial mess and it make me eternally grateful that our club operates on a sensible financial basis thereby not allowing themselves to be left wide open for the old nudge-nudge-wink-wink brigade to fling some mud in their way!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=209766#ixzz0x1lFRrb4

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=209765
Fulham - Icelandic Link Returns!
Having watched as Cardiff City snatched away one classy striking option, the tabloid press are adamant that Mark Hughes is preparing a move to bring another classy operator to Craven Cottage.

Fulham have been linked to Eidur Gudjohnsen already this summer but it now appears that the move to land him is set to intensify as Hughes looks to strengthen the squad.

Gudjohnsen is a Monaco player even though he spent the latter half of last season on loan at White Hart Lane. He has Premier League experience with Chelsea and can play either as a striker or sitting behind a strike force.

Now whether we`d be looking to take Gudjohnsen on a permanent deal or a loan deal isn`t specified.

Do you believe it is a deal we should pursue or should we look elsewhere!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=209765#ixzz0x1lYSfmq

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=209764
Fulham - Konchesky Deal Moves Closer
Having missed out through injury (?) participating in our first fixture of the 2010 / 2011 Premier League season, we`re starting to wonder if Paul Konchesky will put on a Fulham shirt again.

The reason we say this is that the vibes from Merseyside are getting louder by the day with it being common knowledge, on the streets of that city, that Liverpool are preparing a £3 million swoop for the left back.

And with Konchesky apparently keen to move to continue working under Roy Hodgson we can`t see much point in fighting to keep him, after all should we keep any player that doesn`t want to stay?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=209764#ixzz0x1lneptJ

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6320948,00.html?
Smalling grateful to Fulham
Man Utd defender owes a lot to former club

Manchester United defender Chris Smalling has admitted he owes a lot to Fulham ahead of Sunday's clash against his former club.

Smalling made the move from Craven Cottage to Old Trafford over the summer after catching the eye of Sir Alex Ferguson with some assured performances.

A deal was agreed in January but Smalling was allowed to see out the remainder of last season with Fulham.

The benefits of life under Roy Hodgson are not lost on the 20-year-old and he recognises just what Fulham did for his career.

"I owe Fulham a lot," said Smalling. "They gave me my chance.

"When I finished school they gave me the chance to develop. I was in the reserves and then broke into the first-team squad last year.

"I made a lot of friends there, a lot of coaches who helped me are still there.

"(Development squad manager) Billy McKinley gave me a lot of support over the last couple of years and he deserves a lot of credit.

"It will be a bit weird going back but I hope it will be an enjoyable day."

Fulham signed Smalling from Maidstone in 2008 but he acknowledges that, in these days of sophisticated academy structures, to come through the non-league route is becoming increasingly rare.

But there are enough examples down the years for Smalling to know it can be done and he does not buy into the claim English players are becoming starved of chances.

"The opportunities are there," he said.

"It doesn't happen a lot these days where a non-league player comes through to professional football.

"There is a lot of money being thrown around to buy players. But there are examples."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=209780
Fulham - Stockdale Takes the Honours!
With a point gained, on the road, from our first fixture in the 2010/2011 Premier League season, we asked you to vote for your man-of-the-match.

It came as no surprise to see that by a landslide you had voted for David Stockdale as your victor with 64%opting to choose our young stopper.

Following behind in second and third places were Bobby Zamora and Clint Dempsey with 12% and 11% respectively.

Our latest poll asks you to vote on how you feel about Mark Hughes first signing, use your vote wisely!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=209780#ixzz0x1mVpPJz

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1304152/Fulham-fork-5m-Moussa-Dembele-Belgium-striker-arrives-year-deal.html
Fulham fork out £5m for Moussa Dembele as Belgium striker arrives on three-year deal

Fulham have signed Belgium striker Moussa Dembele from AZ Alkmaar on a three-year contract, the Barclays Premier League club have announced. 

Dembele, who can also play on the wing, arrives at Craven Cottage for a fee believed to be £5million and has won 28 caps.

'Moussa is strong and quick and will add another dimension to our attacking options,' Fulham manager Mark Hughes told the club's official website. 

Attacking options: Striker Moussa Dembele can also play on the wing
Fulham pipped Barclays Premier League rivals Birmingham in the race to sign Dembele, who has also been linked with Chelsea and Bayern Munich in the past.

The creative 23-year-old joined AZ in 2006 and weighed in with 10 goals in the club's Eredivisie title-winning campaign of 2008-09.

During four seasons at the AZ Stadium Dembele hit 18 goals in 118 appearances and has been hailed as one of the league's most exciting players.

'I'm glad that we have finalised the deal with Moussa and I'd like to welcome him to the club,' continued Hughes.

'It's important that we go into the season with some additions to the squad that will enable us to compete at a consistently high level throughout the season.

'I look forward to working with Moussa and, hopefully, to making a few more additions before the transfer window closes.'
Dembele concedes he faces a battle to be selected in Fulham's starting line-up, with Manchester United looming at Craven Cottage on Sunday.

'I'm very happy to join Fulham and look forward to training with the team to prepare for the first home game of the season,' he said.

'It's always been a dream to play in the Premier League and I will make sure that I make the most of this opportunity.

'I understand that Fulham has a strong squad so I'm prepared to work hard for the manager and take my chance to impress him, and my teammates, when the opportunities arise.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1304152/Fulham-fork-5m-Moussa-Dembele-Belgium-striker-arrives-year-deal.html#ixzz0x1mv12T1

WhiteJC

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/aug/18/manchester-city-shay-given?
Manchester City's out of favour Shay Given may go on loan to Fulham
• Irishman would like to link with former manager Mark Hughes
• Shay is confused and torn about what to do, says source

A trip to Timisoara and the roofless Dan Paltinisanu Stadium, with its barbed-wire fences and peeling paintwork, probably did not figure too highly on the Abu Dhabi United Group's blueprint for world domination but for Manchester City it is still progress of sorts.

Whereas Aston Villa have taken a youthful and experimental squad to Austria for their Europa League qualifier against Rapid Vienna, Roberto Mancini is placing so much emphasis on avoiding the kind of embarrassing result that was once synonymous with the club he has brought his strongest pool of players with the exception of Robinho, left in Manchester on the basis that his transfer valuation would decrease were he to play in Europe.

The game has come too early for James Milner, who will make his debut against Liverpool on Monday now he has completed his move from Aston Villa, and two more of Mancini's signings were also not on the plane this morning, with Jérôme Boateng still struggling from a knee injury and Aleksandar Kolarov out for up to six weeks because of an ankle problem aggravated against Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday.

Otherwise, though, Mancini has chosen against resting players, not just to send out the message that he is taking City's opponents seriously but also because he wants his new-look squad to spend some time together and foster a spirit of togetherness. Robinho's absence speaks volumes about where he fits in and the official explanation that he is concentrating on fitness work in Manchester is merely a smokescreen to the true story, with City speaking to several potential buyers, including Besiktas and Schalke 04.

Equally, nothing too much should be read into the fact the most expensive player in English football was named in the 25-man squad submitted to Uefa for these qualifying stages. His inclusion was purely because City thought it would look churlish if he returned from his six-month loan arrangement from Santos, possibly with a new mindset, to discover he had been excluded. As it has turned out, Robinho is still devoted to the idea of leaving, and Mancini will not stand in his way. "I think in the next five or six days he will decide his future," the manager said.

Mario Balotelli, the £22.5m signing from Internazionale, is in contention to play in Robinho's old position on the left side of attack, although Mancini would not confirm whether the Italian would start the match or make his debut as a substitute.

He was, however, willing to confirm that Joe Hart will continue in goal, a decision that has left Shay Given seriously considering a loan move to be reunited with the former City manager Mark Hughes at Fulham, whose current goalkeeper, Mark Schwarzer, is wanted by Arsenal.

A source close to Given said: "Shay is confused and torn about what to do. He wanted to win things at City after 10 years at Newcastle without a trophy. He just wants to play and he doesn't see Mancini leaving out Hart now, even if he makes a mistake. The last thing Shay wants to do is risk his place in the Ireland team."

That fear appears to be unfounded, with the Republic of Ireland's manager, Giovanni Trapattoni, already contacting Given to assure him he will keep his place for his country. "It's not a hard decision for me because we have other players who are not playing regularly for their clubs," Trapattoni said. "Shay has a good mentality, he is a strong man, and there are teams not only in England but also Italy where he could play."

Timisoara, fifth in Romania's Liga 1 last season, have played six times already this season, whereas Mancini believes his own team could still be a month away from clicking. The home players also have a financial incentive with the man who finances the club, the Balkan Petroleum owner Marian Iancu, reputedly offering €100,000 (£82,000) a man to get to the group stage. Nonetheless, it would be a major surprise if the most expensively assembled squad in English football should fail over two legs to demonstrate the gulf between the clubs.

Milner's arrival takes City's spending to £126m and Mancini, confirming it would be his last signing, laughed off Sir Alex Ferguson's criticisms that the most powerful spenders in football were guilty of "kamikaze" spending. "All the other big teams have spent a lot of money in the past and I don't mean 15 years ago but the last one, two, three years. It's normal when you want to buy a good player that you have to spend money. This is the market and Manchester United, like Manchester City, have spent a lot of money in the past."

Timisoara possible (4-1-4-1): Taborda; Scutaru, Luchin, Cisovsky, Sepsi; Alexa; Contra, Magera, Bourceanu, Curtean; Axente.

Manchester City possible (4-3-2-1): Hart; Richards, K Touré, Kompany, Zabaleta; Y Touré, De Jong, Barry; Balotelli, Johnson; Tevez.

Referee F Meyer (Germany)

WhiteJC

http://www.tribalfootball.com/schwarzer's-arsenal-move-go-through-when-fulham-get-new-keeper-1054801?
Schwarzer's Arsenal move to go through when Fulham get new keeper

According to sport.co.uk, Mark Schwarzer's move to Arsenal will go through as soon as Fulham can find a replacement for him.

The 37-year old Australian international will be allowed to leave Craven Cottage by new manager Mark Hughes but only when he can bring in a quality, experienced stopper to step into Schwarzer's shoes.

24-year old David Stockdale was impressive for the Cottagers in their opening day draw with Bolton but it is believed that Hughes wants someone to come in who is a proven performer before Schwarzer makes his dream move to Emirates Stadium.

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/149769/Danny-Murphy-urges-Fulham-to-sort-out-deals/?
DANNY MURPHY URGES FULHAM TO SORT OUT DEALS

DANNY MURPHY last night urged Fulham to solve their contract chaos and prevent an exodus from Craven Cottage.

Murphy, 33, is one of a host of key men entering the last year of their deals and have yet to be offered new ones.

Simon Davies has just signed a new contract, but important players like Murphy, Paul Konchesky and Mark Schwarzer are still waiting for an offer.

Zoltan Gera, Chris Baird, Dickson Etuhu and John Pantsil are in a similar position, while Bobby Zamora has two years left but wants improved terms.

Murphy said: "Am I in talks? No, not yet. Strangely, and I don't know why, the club has let seven or eight players get into the last year of their contract.

"I don't think that's particularly healthy and I don't know why that's happened. Other clubs don't let it happen.
Unsettling

"So there's other players getting things done at the moment, which is right. There are other players whose priorities are ahead of me.

"I think it's important that we get that sorted as a club because it is difficult for players to be having a year left on their contract.

"It's different for me because I'm a bit older and you start doing it year by year but for a lot of the other lads it's an unsettling time.

"You have other clubs coming in for them. They are worried about injury with a year left on their contract.

"It's very unusual I think for a club to let that many players get to a year left on their contract. So I'm hoping that they will start getting sorted as the weeks pass by.

"Simon Davies signed this week which was good news. But obviously when players do well they can move on to bigger and better things – I know Arsenal are chasing Schwarz and Liverpool Konch.

"So I don't know whether we are going to be able to keep hold of them."

Danny Murphy appears in EA SPORTS' FIFA 11. FIFA 11 is out October 1 on all formats. Visit www.youtube.com/easportsfootball to see the unveiling of FIFA 11's latest signing