https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

My e-mail to Mr. Woodcock and his reply

Started by Holders, August 22, 2016, 04:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holders

My e-mail:

Dear Mr. Woodcock.

I have been a supporter of Fulham Football Club since 1962 and this is only  the second time that I have been moved to write to the club or its associates - so I do not do so lightly.

In Slavisa Jokanovic we have the best manager that the club has had during Mr Khan's period of ownership and team performances and results at the beginning of this season have been very encouraging. Yet, Mr Jokanovic sounded very frustrated concerning player acquisitions when he spoke after the match on Saturday and about the involvement of a Mr. Klein who is, I understand, a statistician. Along with many other supporters I am concerned that recruitment of players may not be taking place with due regard to the Head Coach's views and preferences and particularly in the context of his inference that some good players who had been identified may have been unnecessarily lost to the club.

You may or may not be aware that in the 1980s the club had a golden opportunity, under the management of Malcolm Macdonald, to return, after a long absence, to the First Division of English football. This opportunity was missed by the narrowest of margins due to the failure to sign one single key player and the result was that over the next years the club plumbed the depths of the lower leagues, at one point reaching the position of 91st out of 92. I fear the potential for another missed opportunity now: we have a good manager who wants to play attractive football, the foundation of a good team and we are two forwards short following the departures of Ross MacCormack and Mousa Dembele. Mr Khan's declared ambition is for the club to return to the Premier League and the replacement of these two players (plus any others whom the Head Coach may require) in this transfer window is key to building on this good start. I would ask you to please convey the concerns of myself and other supporters in this regard to Mr Khan in the hope that he will authorise the required recruitment, on footballing terms, as determined by the Head Coach. In particular, it would be reassuring for him to confirm the statement attributed to Sarah Brookes in January this year that (as reported) "Slavisa determines positions/potential players that he is interested in and they, with additional suggestions (if applicable) are presented to him with input reflecting stats, financial and scouting, then Slavisa no one else has the decision from that point on".

His rather disappointing reply:

Pete, good afternoon (I assume you are writing from the UK).  Thanks for the background on the 1980s ? I won?t lie, as immersed as I am today with Fulham, I have a lot to learn on the history and am always grateful for anecdotes from supporters, as painful as the one below may be.

Also, at all times, the views of supporters are collected and shared with Mr. Khan in a summary.  So, if you write, you?re being heard.

Mr. Khan backs Slav.  Slav?s comments over the weekend were certainly newsworthy and Mr. Khan is fine with Slav expressing his views because it illustrates how determined he is to turn Fulham into a winner.  Mr. Khan is right there in that thinking ? otherwise, he wouldn?t have battled for over a month last fall to arrange an exit for Slav from Maccabi Tel Aviv.  So, be assured that Mr. Khan will do all he can to maximize the upside that we?ve already experienced with Slav and the new players who have arrived via transfer in the past month or so.

I can?t speak for what happens moment to moment in conversations on decisions, transfers, etc., but can tell you that Slav knows he is supported by the chairman.

Thanks much for writing.  COYW!
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Oakeshott

I am not sure why the reply is "disappointing". It seems fine to me.

As far as Khan's reputation among us fans is concerned, everything now depends on the next nine days or so. If we do not significantly strengthen in this period then the reputation, such as it is, will be destroyed - if we do he will have delivered on his promises.

Apprentice to the Maestro

Good that you and others have written.

Mr Khan must be getting the message that the supporters are fully behind Jokanovic both as a manager and in his urgent call for player recruitment and no interference.

I am not sure what else you might expect in their response. They are not going to announce in a letter to one supporter that Kline has been sacked or even that the lines of authority have been clarified. Nor are they going to say that three players will be coming in this week. I would take what they are saying as reasoably positive after Jokanovic's revelations.

Anyway, good that you made the effort to make the feelings of fans known..

Twig

Quote from: Oakeshott on August 22, 2016, 04:26:19 PM

As far as Khan's reputation among us fans is concerned, everything now depends on the next nine days or so. If we do not significantly strengthen in this period then the reputation, such as it is, will be destroyed - if we do he will have delivered on his promises.

Exactly, it is make or break time.

toshes mate

Quote from: Oakeshott on August 22, 2016, 04:26:19 PM

I see it both ways, the head coach has the ear of the owner, but the owner isn't changing the minds of those who are irking the man who has his ear, an untenable situation for all those involved.  Khan Snr has to change something before the deadline or well be faced with major upheavals all over the place.