watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Random question about our pitch

Started by Take Me Home MAF, August 23, 2016, 02:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Take Me Home MAF

I have been going to the cottage for around 16/17 years and I have always wondered why we play on an elevated pitch.

The only reason I can think is under soil heating must have been installed at some point and rather than digging down they put the pitch higher.

Does anyone know the real reason why this is, or has it always been this way?

Only other club who I think has this in the Premier League is Man United. Always find it interesting how players when talking corners have to change their run ups. I remember Murphy always had to have a 2 step run up.

Probally not the most important topic at the moment, but a bit of light relief!

MJG

Drainage, undersoil heating, sprinklers.
Its all just built up over the years. Look at pictures from the past and the tunnel had a real slope on it, now its level with the pitch.
Had to sit in row A a few years ago and was unwatchable back then, suspect its even worse now.

Twig

It was all part of MAF's plan to make us the Man Utd of the South.

filham

The effect of time I suppose, you probably need a 3ft archeological dig to find a valuable stud from Haynes's boot.

fulhamben

is it any wonder that the pitch has raised after the amount of shhh we have seen on it over the last 3 seasons.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

bill taylors apprentice

I can vaguely remember being told some years ago that the pitch had to be raised to allow for the modern drainage, irrigation and root support system etc.

I think, due to being alongside the river it wasn't possible to dig down to accommodate all the new technology as the water levels may have been a problem.

ron

probably the same reason that cricket squares get raised over the years by all the top dressing. I've walked the square at Lord's, and noticed that the bowlers' run ups include quite a ramp at each end (There's also a uneven slope away to the tavern side of the ground, but that's a different story).
Sand also used to be applied in winter to the threadbare surface in the quagmires* of old at the Cottage.

*Talking about quagmires, have a look at newsreel film of White Hart Lane in the 'fifties and 'sixties......

westcliff white

A lot of if not mist clubs have pitches like that these days
Every day is a Fulham day

sunburywhite

*Talking about quagmires, have a look at newsreel film of White Hart Lane in the 'fifties and 'sixties......

Don't you remember the pitch at Derby, that was a real quagmire
Also so were the pitches at the Scrubs plus the mud stank

Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Bronaldinho

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 24, 2016, 01:03:24 PM
Do you think that's where they have buried Larnell Cole.

One of the best comments on here.
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

ron

Quote from: sunburywhite on August 24, 2016, 01:29:26 PM

Don't you remember the pitch at Derby, that was a real quagmire
Also so were the pitches at the Scrubs plus the mud stank

It's amazing how the technology of turf surfaces have developed. In the old days I suppose that compressed clay gave the rainwater nowhere to go.

love4ffc

If you are one of those conspiracy anti Khan type person....one would say the pitch has been raised to include the new foundation for the flats to be built  :58:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.  How will you standout when it counts?