News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but...

Started by Brawn, August 24, 2016, 12:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brawn

You can actually make the argument that we are doing worse than both last year and 2014-15, when you compare like-for-like fixtures.

It's difficult to explain in words, so here I go with the figures:

Preston away: won 2-1 in both last and this season
Leeds away: drew 1-1 in both last and this season
Cardiff at home: won 2-1 last season, drew 2-2 this season (-2 pts)

And compare this to 2014-15:

Leeds away: won 1-0 in 2014-15, drew 1-1 this season (-2 pts)
Cardiff at home: drew 1-1 in 2014-15, drew 2-2 this season

075.gif

fulhamben

Yes, ok treacle. We are worse than we was under kit and Felix. Long may our downward spiral continue if it makes me as happy as I am now.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

grandad

How many points did we have last season after 4 games?
Where there's a will there's a wife

General

Clutching straws. I think it's obvious to most that we're doing a lot better. if you wanted to be more realistic, you could look at our first 4 games of those two seasons and compare our position/points tally etc?

Those stats are redundant as they don't take into account managerial changes (we've had a lot), player changes for any of the clubs (we've had a lot) and early season form vs rest of season form.

There is much more to look at to consider even thinking about this as something that should influence anyone's thinking.

Sorry but back to the drawing board Brawn... I suppose you have the name for a self-acknowledged reason perhaps?

toshes mate

Quote from: fulhamben on August 24, 2016, 12:16:02 PM
Yes, ok treacle. We are worse than we was under kit and Felix. Long may our downward spiral continue if it makes me as happy as I am now.

A beautiful retort if there ever was one.

We could compare this season with anything, if we wanted to, but actually reality is pretty good right now and I don't mind suffering under JS if this is all he has....

Southcoastffc

Indeed you can make the argument, but that does not mean the argument is valid. 
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Burt

It's the position in the table that counts, along with how we are playing, and from where I am standing (sitting?) both are better than for the last couple of seasons...

Nero

yes but we play Blackburn on Saturday and we surely cant be spanked 3-0 again

FFCFOREVER

Sorry but have to disagree.Our performances have been much better in the 4 league games we have played this season than in any of the games last season bar the 2 QPR games.We would also have been out of sight in our games so far if we had a proper decent striker.We look harder to beat and the brand of footy on offer is much more pleasing on the eye too.Plus the teams we have drawn against are tough to beat at any time.

Baszab

This is the sort of negative claptrap I "used to " post before seeing the SJ light

fulhamben

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 24, 2016, 12:56:37 PM
I have lost the will to live.
i will   reinvigorate you with my top ten vuvuzela hits of 80s. you thought you knew duran duran?wait till you here the 90 minute extended version of hungry like a wolf played by a drunken quartet of english fans. youll be fighting fit in no time
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

bobbo

Quote from: Brawn on August 24, 2016, 12:10:48 PM
You can actually make the argument that we are doing worse than both last year and 2014-15, when you compare like-for-like fixtures.

075.gif
go bury yer head mate
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Bronaldinho

We have an identity on the pitch.

We never even had the slightest aspect of structure, organisation or a gameplan under Symons and Magath.

Only time I was impressed with Symons tactically was the away win at Bristol when we changed to 5-3-2
@ABronsSmith

Author of 'The Craven Corner' blog - Hosted in the matchday programme, SB Nation & thecravencorner.wordpress.com

Carborundum

Reading perspectives that would never occur to me otherwise is part of the magnetic attraction of this place.  Thanks Brawn, this way of looking at things just wouldn't have entered my head without your post.

Think I'll stick with an it's-early-days, so-far-so-good outlook for a few games yet, at least while the sun is shining.  Saves me from having to figure out how to address promoted or relegated teams in the analytical model you have floated.

gang

Quote from: Brawn on August 24, 2016, 12:10:48 PM

075.gif

Mr Kline by any chance?

Sgt Fulham

Jeesh 090.gif

May as well add the fact that everyone is slowly dying and attach a clip of Forlan's second goal...

I'd like to add that this way of thinking is flawed anyhow. Teams change year on year. Some improve (think Huddersfield so far) while some get worse (Blackburn) and so comparing games from different seasons is an inaccurate measure. Also, add the fact that we beat the favourites for the title through skill rather than luck and we have a more positive outlook.

Aldo

If you want to play that game then we should compare the Newcastle game with the home fixtures against any of the three corresponding promoted sides last year, so we are actually a point better off!

NJFulham

You can argue, if Symons was our manager, the only different results would be losing to Newcastle and beating Leeds.

Lighthouse

Interesting comparison and puts things into a little perspective. We know that we look quicker and better balanced but there is a long way to go before we start getting too excited. A good start that can come undone all too easily.

Still could be worse
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MJG

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on August 24, 2016, 01:14:24 PM
Jeesh 090.gif
we beat the favourites for the title through skill rather than luck
I know someone on here who disagrees with that view