more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Oracle 'Real Application Testing' help

Started by Berserker, August 26, 2016, 12:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berserker

Hi All,

Sorry for posting an IT type query on here but I know some of you guys/gals are IT experts. I've been tasked with finding more out about  Oracle 'Real Application Testing.

Therefore if anybody can give me some info on such things as:

1.   A brief summary/how it works
4.   Ways it would be used, by Testing Team or Ordinary Users
5.   It's Limitations
6.   How would we resolve any errors /issues that happen when we are using it during testing
7.   Will it work on major projects, periodic Release testing
8.   Can it emulate other systems such that feed into interface to Oracle as OBIEE, RMS

If you could suggest some websites, or forums that I can mine for info that would be great .

PM me, update this or send me an e-mail at [email protected]

Thanks, plus sorry to Mods   
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

cmg

Kline swears by it.
Jokanovic  swears at it.

[Sorry, couldn't resist]

The Equalizer

I've seen and replied to many IT queries on this website over the years, but I have to say Berserker, you've just won the prize for most niche query!

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

jarv

As Manuel used to say......I know nooothing.

alexmur

Quote from: Berserker on August 26, 2016, 12:49:29 PM
Hi All,

Sorry for posting an IT type query on here but I know some of you guys/gals are IT experts. I've been tasked with finding more out about  Oracle 'Real Application Testing.

1.A brief summary/how it works
4.Ways it would be used, by Testing Team or Ordinary Users
5.It's Limitations
6.How would we resolve any errors /issues that happen when we are using it during testing
7.Will it work on major projects, periodic Release testing
8.Can it emulate other systems such that feed into interface to Oracle as OBIEE, RMS

If you could suggest some websites, or forums that I can mine for info that would be great .

if you want I can put you in touch with someone in oracle to give you a demo and explain any questions you have on it. I used to work there but only in sales I haven't a clue how to answer your question.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

fulhamben

have you tried turning it off and on again?
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

alexmur

alexmur

guy I used to work with sent me this

rweller86

I would start here maybe: https://www.oracle.com/database/real-application-testing/index.html

I am a software tester and have tested Oracle systems, however, never heard or used this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
@rweller

Logicalman

I'd save the money, set up a test site that mirrors production and use that with separate monitoring solutions.

There are so many tools out there that will allow specific monitoring of the UI, Network and DB, and so much better than an all-in-one solution, unfortunately I have never found, at any of the companies I have worked, that used a RAT solution providing a better result than the separate monitors, but that might not be the case for everyone.

I guess this is being forced upon you then?
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Berserker

No we're looking at possible solutions.  I've been asked to investigate by my boss.  Trouble is I'm functional and know nothing about databases so probably not in the best starting place.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Berserker

Quote from: alexmur on August 26, 2016, 01:36:41 PM
guy I used to work with
Quote from: rweller86 on August 26, 2016, 01:39:47 PM
I would start here maybe: https://www.oracle.com/database/real-application-testing/index.html

I am a software tester and have tested Oracle systems, however, never heard or used this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
sent me this

I've downloaded the PDF's and I'll now try the demo on it

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Berserker

That looks useful. What document is that from and is it on the internet? I have access to Oracle Metalink so if there is manuals on there I could access them given a link, document ID etc. 

- Martin Luther King Jr.

alexmur

Quote from: Berserker on August 26, 2016, 02:52:09 PM
That looks useful. What document is that from and is it on the internet? I have access to Oracle Metalink so if there is manuals on there I could access them given a link, document ID etc.
think it's from a staff manual

Berserker

Quote from: alexmur on August 26, 2016, 01:15:26 PM
Hi All,

5.It's Limitations
6.How would we resolve any errors /issues that happen when we are using it during testing
8.Can it emulate other systems such that feed into interface to Oracle as OBIEE, RMS

if you want I can put you in touch with someone in oracle to give you a demo and explain any questions you have on it. I used to work there but only in sales I haven't a clue how to answer your question.

Hi Alex
If you could put me in touch with somebody at Oracle to discuss that would be good. Also the screen you posted on this thread, would it be possible to make the diagram bigger at the bottom so that I can read the text against it?

Thanks Claire

- Martin Luther King Jr.

alexmur

Quote from: Berserker on August 30, 2016, 10:26:32 AM
Quote from: alexmur on August 26, 2016, 01:15:26 PM
Hi All,

5.It's Limitations

Hi Alex
If you could put me in touch with somebody at Oracle to discuss that would be good. Also the screen you posted on this thread, would it be possible to make the diagram bigger at the bottom so that I can read the text against it?

Thanks Claire
if you can tell me what company you work in I can try and get someone who deals with your industry

Berserker

UKSBS Ltd but we are really come loosely under Gov dept BEIS. Therefore could say we are public sector

- Martin Luther King Jr.

NogoodBoyo

Amazing thread.  Who'd have thought we have such deep problem-solvers in our ranks?  And that our Berserker would be a Claire? 
I'm just an ordinary Joe by the way.  Nice to meet you, Claire.  Not that I can do anything to help you untie this impenetrable knot of yours, I'm afraid.
Nogood "if you want to destroy my sweater, pull this thread and walk away, see" Boyo

alexmur

Quote from: Berserker on August 30, 2016, 11:14:18 AM
UKSBS Ltd but we are really come loosely under Gov dept BEIS. Therefore could say we are public sector

drop Tom a mail and he will help you out, unfortunately he us a Liverpool fan but don't hold that against him.

[email protected]

toshes mate

Hi All,

1.   A brief summary/how it works
4.   Ways it would be used, by Testing Team or Ordinary Users
5.   It's Limitations
6.   How would we resolve any errors /issues that happen when we are using it during testing
7.   Will it work on major projects, periodic Release testing
8.   Can it emulate other systems such that feed into interface to Oracle as OBIEE, RMS

When Oracle first arrived in the UK, an embarrassingly long time ago, I attended their first seminar.   Oracle is a relational database whjch, in lay terms, means it stores data in such a way that there are built in relationships such as, for example, Mr X lives at Y address and also owns Z address but doesn't live there.  Relationships in databases are highly complex and so, when designing the database, a geek has to build all potential links between data (e.g. Name of person and properties of interest) have to be tested to form properly when the data is interrogated, as in searching for a link between one person and the properties he has an interest in, within the remit of the designed relationships.   Testing the data is a way of proving its integrity, and that updating a record does not corrupt the relationships formed.   It is proving the links all work as they should.

What I learned when attending the Oracle seminar is that the product operates a regime whereby if two users accessing the same part of the database at the same time then one will be victimised (by losing access to the data) but the other will be able to update/change it.   The victimisation is randomly applied, i.e. it is not set up to be personal by favouring one user over another.

That is all I remember about is, part from being very impressed with it at the time.