watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Some thoughts on Stefan Johansen

Started by MickyAdamsFamily, August 27, 2016, 08:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MickyAdamsFamily

I'm an inveterate reader of this board, but a very rare poster, and true long time Fulham fan (although now living abroad so no longer a season ticket holder). For what it's worth, I thought I'd relay what my Celtic-mad mate has told me about Johansen, combined with a bit of my own additions.
The key thing that seems to not be reported elsewhere is the mutual dislike between Johansen and Brendan Rogers. This is entirely third hand info, being from a friend of my friend, but it does add up (and I completely understand, as I find Rogers to be an odious, pompous git). Stefan was brought to Celtic by his mentor, Ronny Deila, with whom he'd won the league at Stromsgodset (first title for that club in 43 years), and where Johansen was player of the year and voted the best in the Norwegian league. In his first year at Celtic, again playing under Deila, he was selected as the fans PotY and the Scottish PFA PotY as the best player in the Scottish league by his fellow players. So, what changed last season?
Rogers.
I think Stefan doesn't like the man & didn't like playing for him. He became disenchanted with Celtic after the shabby way his mentor was treated and forced out, and Rogers saw him as a symbol of the previous regime. Nonetheless, Celtic were very keen on getting Johansen to sign a new contract, but he flatly refused, and thus went into the shop window, which is our good fortune, I believe.
As an aside, it's worth seeing where Johansen was born and raised. The village of Vardo is unbelievably remote, even by Norse standards, and it's remarkable that someone could come from there and become a professional footballer in London. Between him and Ragnar we've got some serious Viking credibility.
Anyway, if there's some truth to Rogers being the root of his downturn in form, we may have gotten a real player at a great moment when he's looking for a fresh start.
Here's hoping....
Now let's keep this unbeaten run going up at Blackburn!
Exciting times.
COYW!

PaulJ123

But Rodgers only took over this summer, Deila was in charge last season

General

I was under the impression he hardly got playing time this year because it was clear to rodgers that he wasn't going to sign a new contract and so was sidelined to give more committed players game time.

Last season he obviously applied himself and played I think over 20 games and scored good goals but he clearly saw his diminished playing time as an indication of what was to come or as a souring relationship blossomed and has made the decision to move on.

if anything it sounds like we have a player who still has a lot to offer but had given up wanting to give his all for a managet that made him feel under appreciated.. something I'm sure more here will have gone through in their own professional lives.

General

Quote from: PaulJ123 on August 27, 2016, 08:17:44 AM
But Rodgers only took over this summer, Deila was in charge last season

shows how little I know.

MickyAdamsFamily

Ha! Damn, I suppose I ought to have looked up the timing! I was just pleased to have some tidbit of vaguely "itk" information third hand through my friend who'd been told there was bad feelings between them & that's why Johansen refused all contract offers.
At least I got it right that he's from Vardo, which is a tiny island in the Arctic.
Oh, well...
He still must be looking to make a fresh start, and if he can find the form that made him player of the year in his last 2 leagues (he's still only 25, I think), we'll have gotten a great player for a good price.
COYW!

PaulJ123

Haha i agree with what you're saying though. Celtic in general weren't very inspiring last season so hopefully this fresh start can see him back to what he was like a couple of seasons ago.

Holders

I think he'll be a great addition, I read it in the runes.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

dannyboi-ffc

You should post more often mate. I think others are correct about your confusion with when Rodgers took over. But it doesn't surprise me that they don't get on. I think Rodgers is a right knob.

Thanks for the info
Give us a follow @dannyboi_ffc   @fulham_focus

Email- [email protected]
Email- [email protected]

Supporting Fulham isn't about winning, it's about belonging

MickyAdamsFamily

I hope so...
I think I may have to leave this posting stuff to the kids.
Oh well, here's hoping we'll have something to celebrate about later.
And maybe a new striker soon?!?!
COYW!

Snibbo

Quote from: MickeyAdamsFamily on August 27, 2016, 08:51:27 AM
I hope so...
I think I may have to leave this posting stuff to the kids.
Oh well, here's hoping we'll have something to celebrate about later.
And maybe a new striker soon?!?!
COYW!
No, please keep posting. It was useful insight anyway. And I do hope we have, in Stefan, a real player on our hands, because it looks, at last, like we may have several in the team, instead of just one.

General

Stefan Johansen since joining Celtic:
2nd most mins played (outfield)
2nd most assists
3rd most goals
3 league titles
1 league cup
1 Player Of The Year

Skatzoffc

Keep posting pls.

I like to read different styles of posts on here. Ones with personal insight/knowledge are most interesting.

It's what forums are good for.
Coyw!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

NJFulham

i thought stefan's good spell at celtic was under lennon? thats what i read anyway.

hovewhite

Another player who can offer something different I'm getting the feeling that it  could be a very good whites year ,fingers crossed!

aaronmcguigan

I'm sorry but I don't think you can lay the blame with Rodgers on this one. He had an amazing first season and he was in and out of the team 2nd season, under his mentor Deila.
Celtic in general , in comparison to their standards, had a rubbish season and no one other than Griffiths impressed.
He was stalling on signing a new contract and we made our interest concrete. He didn't become disenchanted at the treatment of Deila, there's nothing to support this. Deila didn't perform, and the only thing reported was that Deila lost control and the job was too big with some players glad to see the back of him, at his own admission http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3555985/Ronny-Deila-admits-Celtic-job-tough-Norwegian-waves-goodbye-wake-Old-Firm-defeat.html
This even says Rodgers wanted to keep Johansen but would understand if the CLUB chose to sell
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-says-wants-keep-8367333

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/rodgers-keen-keep-johansen-if-midfielder-re-signs

I don't think you can take one persons opinion and a misjudgement of timelines to bash Rodgers when there is no proof or evidence to suggest it, there is evidence of him getting on with Rodgers and working to an agreement but with no agreement, the club wanted to cash in.

You're painting Rodgers out to be the bad guy, but if we had s player who wanted to quit the club every time a manager was allegedly unfairly treated, we'd have no one left.

Johansen wanted to move , we wanted to buy, Celtic wanted the cash, everyone's a winner.

Fairplay_Stewart

As a Norwegian Fulham fan, I have to say that I'm very excited about us signing Stefan. As you mention here, he had a dip in form during his last season at Celtic. same thing happened on the national team. That being said, I would still rate him as the most important player for Norway (doesnt really have to say much these days). el capitano kindof guy, hard working and a great passer. Let's hope he get a boost from this transfer!

colinwhite

Ultimately he will replace Parker ,but could also play along side him . The parker macdonald partnership is very static.

filham

Well he has yet to make his presence felt here , lets hope he can find some form soon.

Chutney

Quote from: MickeyAdamsFamily on August 27, 2016, 08:41:39 AM
Ha! Damn, I suppose I ought to have looked up the timing! I was just pleased to have some tidbit of vaguely "itk" information third hand through my friend who'd been told there was bad feelings between them & that's why Johansen refused all contract offers.
At least I got it right that he's from Vardo, which is a tiny island in the Arctic.
Oh, well...
He still must be looking to make a fresh start, and if he can find the form that made him player of the year in his last 2 leagues (he's still only 25, I think), we'll have gotten a great player for a good price.
COYW!

The Norwegian and Scottish leagues are both well below the standard we play at, Johansen hasn't ever played at a level this high, if he can perform as he did at a lower standard then yes we have a good player, if not then its no surprise and as he was cheap, no great loss.

I severely doubt he'll get much game time however as both Parker and McDonald are better than him at DM. That and the fact Jokanovic dragged him off 30 mins in to his debut. If we want more attacking midfielders in there we have LVC and Jozabed and as a box to box player he's competing with Tunnicliffe who has much more experience at this level.

When you look at the squad he seems a bit of a strange signing, almost unnecessary, but he provides extra depth which is never a bad thing, unless it blocks the progression of youngsters like Adeniran, which I really hope it doesn't.
C O Y W

Vinnieffc

I haven't an opinion to offer as haven't seen too much this season. But I love divided opinion  and I just wanted to say to the OP to continue posting as his was well intended ands sparked debate without anyone being offensive.  Please continue to contribute Sir COYW