watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

George Cohen, the team of '66 and the shocking incidence of dementia

Started by Snibbo, September 09, 2016, 06:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snibbo

"The surviving members of England's 1966 World Cup winning side gathered in July to commemorate the 50th anniversary of their famous victory, but not everyone could make it.
Martin Peters, Nobby Stiles, Ray Wilson and Jack Charlton are all suffering from memory loss or dementia. "It's been widely reported that four of the team have got it," John Stiles, Nobby Stiles' son, told 7.30. "I've been informed that in the squad it's quite a few more." That's way above the statistical average in the wider community.

George Cohen played at right-back in the famous team of '66.
"Some of the balls used years ago were beasts — like cannon balls — when wet they were pretty nasty," he told 7.30. He is dismayed that as many as five of his former team mates from that side now have dementia, including Martin Peters, who scored the first goal in the final.
"Martin ... I can only say it's dreadful," he said. "I saw him at a recent reunion and he wasn't well."
"He was very dear to me in as much as we were good friends, and his family are a lovely family, and when you see him like that..."

full article:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-08/dementia-the-deadly-legacy-of-england's-world-cup-triumph/7826618

Mince n Tatties

Sports Scientists dubbed it Footballers Migrane, and believe
That the continuous heading of balls from a young age does do
the damage in later life, with links to dementia and
Alzheimers..It is a shame its happened to these men from our World Cup
Side, but it is around all the time, a relation of mine only 62
doesnt know me or the wife or anybody anymore half the time.
I pray it doesnt happen to me in later years, I constantly do crosswords
And jig saw puzzles, I believe imo that keeping the mind active will
Help me in later life..At the moment Im 61 and fine, touch wood
It stays like that.

toshes mate

It is very sad when anyone suffers premature dementia and it is, unfortunately, a growing number who do, and whilst there are many suspects as to why it happens the simple fact is it is a 'randomly selective' disease and that makes it all the more disturbing, distressing, and worrying prospect.  Certainly there has always been evidence that if you get involved in sports where the head plays an important physical role, and there are many contact and movement sports where the head may be hit or moved suddenly, there is an increased risk of damage appearing later in life.  I well remember the footballs George Cohen mentions from my schooldays when a heavy, wet ball would knock you sideways or backwards if you even slightly mistimed or miscalculated your contact.  Other suspects involve movements of a whiplash nature when there is equal potential risk of damage, and the problem is that you may have several severe episodes without damage occurring and then one apparently more innocent movement that causes permanent injury.   And that is the central problem here - it isn't what you do it is the way you do it that makes anyone a potential target for serious illness later in life, and there are no rights and wrongs involved, because it all depends on the person and the incident that starts the potential problem off.

Oakeshott

I think Jeff Astle's early death was linked to heading those old leather balls which were hard and heavy especially when wet. Hopefully the more modern ball does a lot less damage, otherwise in a few years we'll see pressure to outlaw heading.

bill taylors apprentice

I remember very clearly (no pun intended) playing for the primary school team at Hurlingham park and standing just inside the post as the ball (like a cannon ball with a lace in it) came hurtling in towards me, in those few seconds I knew if I ducked out it was a certain goal so I headed it away and saw stars for 5 minutes.

It hurt like hell, my technique probably wasn't very good but I've always been glad I converted to a keeper shortly afterwards.

filham

So sad hearing about those great players and the efect that the heavy , wet leather ball may have had on their brain all this time after the event.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

My job is LIfe Enrichment Manager in a dementia/alzheimers 'cottage' at a senior/assisted living community.
Our residents are generally over 80/85 (the oldest 2 are 100 and 105 with various stages of memory loss/dementia+
I am relatively new in this field but I have not heard of any head trauma causing this awful disease, that's not of course to say it's not the case.
My job is to try to make the residents life as fulfilling as it can be including mental, physical, cognitive, life skills involvement and reminiscent exercises.
It really is a dreadful disease and is seemingly entirely random with no cures.
It is the most rewarding job I have ever done
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Snibbo

The references suggest that repeated head injuries may increase your risk, and if you have other risk factors then you may have a very high risk

"There's no evidence that a single mild head injury that doesn't knock you out, or that knocks you out for less than 30 minutes, increases your risk of dementia. However, repeated mild injuries may increase risk of future problems with thinking and reasoning."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/alzheimers-disease/expert-answers/alzheimers-disease/faq-20057837

Mince n Tatties

One of the Scandinavian countries under 10s matches dont have
Heading allowed, due to the fact that childrens skulls arent properly
formed by then.